The Golf Thread

Comments

• HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    I play golf, both ball and disc.

My best score is an 80 on a relatively easy par 70. Normally shoot between 90-100.

Only place I've played that is slightly famous is Bandon Dunes.

Any other disc golfers out there?
    #FHP
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I'm waiting to hear from a British golfer out there in Pearl Jam land that has played the Old Course at St. Andrews...anyone?
    No, never played it but know a few who have. Not a great fan of the look of Links courses, I'd rather play at Wentworth or Sunningdale.

I played for 12 years until I just became bored with it and left the club I was with back in December. I managed to get down to 12 and even had a hole in one. My clubs are now gathering cobwebs in the shed.

The course I saw that I would have loved playing is Cypress Point.
    http://www.montereypeninsulagolf.com/Cypress+Point+Club

The other is Gleneagles
    http://www.gleneagles.com/golf/golf-courses
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    nuffingman wrote:
    I'm waiting to hear from a British golfer out there in Pearl Jam land that has played the Old Course at St. Andrews...anyone?
    No, never played it but know a few who have. Not a great fan of the look of Links courses, I'd rather play at Wentworth or Sunningdale.

I played for 12 years until I just became bored with it and left the club I was with back in December. I managed to get down to 12 and even had a hole in one. My clubs are now gathering cobwebs in the shed.

The course I saw that I would have loved playing is Cypress Point.
    http://www.montereypeninsulagolf.com/Cypress+Point+Club

The other is Gleneagles
    http://www.gleneagles.com/golf/golf-courses
    And the UK gets the Ryder Cup this year. Any thoughts on Celtic Manor Resort in South Wales? It looks nice.
    http://www.celtic-manor.com/
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    i worked at a golf club for 6 years(chef)....never got into the game..more of a hacker..

http://www.theclubcompany.com/clubs/Chartham-Park/

it was a good course
    same here..
    not @ that course though..

i worked for my buddy's dad.
    he owned a 9 hole course.
    it was farely large with two ponds, one pond being way bigger than the other.

i never golfed a stroke in my life.

i cut grass and shit.
    in the winter we cut firewood and did mower maintenance.
    mostly we drove golf carts around doing perimeter checks whilst eating drugs :shock:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    Anyone else getting out this weekend? The courses will be packed.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    I played a round on Monday.

Was ugly...

Long game and putting was complete shit. Mid to short was incredible...
    Frustrating!

:evil: :D
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    mca47 wrote:
    Frustrating!

so your short game came into play after 4 or so bad shots? :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    mca47 wrote:
    Frustrating!

So true. That might be the most frustrating thing about this game. Short game is on, but off the tee and fairway is an adventure. Then it flips the next day. All I ask for is 2-3 rounds per year where fairways are hit, greens in reg are made and putts are sunk. I shot 74 and 77 last August and haven't broken 80 yet this year.

Hit em straight mca!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    imalive wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    Frustrating!

I was lucky to hit the fairway with my driver. Piece of shit club! :lol:
    If I was smart I would have just used a 3 or 5 wood off the tee...shit, my 3 iron would have been a better choice.

The course I was playing wasn't very forgiving (and a shit ton of deep bunkers).
    *Whack* - trees
    *Whack* - 5 foot deep bunker
    *Whack* - Kerplunk in the water
    I'd get within 120-200 yards and I'd hit 'em perfect. Get up to the green a 2-putt was a positive thing!
    Piece of shit putter! :lol:

WHOA...5000th post! :D :shock:
    mca47 wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    Frustrating!

I was lucky to hit the fairway with my driver. Piece of shit club! :lol:
    If I was smart I would have just used a 3 or 5 wood off the tee...shit, my 3 iron would have been a better choice.

The course I was playing wasn't very forgiving (and a shit ton of deep bunkers).
    *Whack* - trees
    *Whack* - 5 foot deep bunker
    *Whack* - Kerplunk in the water
    I'd get within 120-200 yards and I'd hit 'em perfect. Get up to the green a 2-putt was a positive thing!
    Piece of shit putter! :lol:

WHOA...5000th post! :D :shock:
    The important thing is that you have fun. And stay cool out in that AZ heat!
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    been playing since i was 13...had to stop about 5-6 years ago because of my back :( no health insurance so there's not much i can do about it...i'm hoping obama will fix that ;) :roll:

most famous courses i've played pebble beach and Rivera

and my trip last year to the masters was the best time i've ever had! :mrgreen:
    pga championship this weekend...tiger started out -3 but is now even...bubba watson in the clubhouse with a -4

and how about phil's arthritis

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/12/sport ... ref=sports.
  • That's crazy stuff norm. Thanks for grossing me out before dinner.

Ernie's charging in the waning hours of sunlight. It would be great to see him win another major before the proverbial sun sets on his career.
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    Surprised to see this topic doesn't have it's own thread.

How many golfers do we have out in Pearl Jam land?

What are your favorite courses to play? Anybody ever play the greats (St. Andrews, Pebble Beach, Augusta, Winged Foot)?

How did I miss this thread, anyway

Top 5 Courses Ive played

1 Winged Foot West 3 days before US Amateur in 2004
    2 Ocean Course, Kiawah
    3 Bethpage Black probably the course I play the most outside my home course
    4 Pinehurst 2
    5 Ridgewood CC.

We should do a 10C golf outing, Ill set up a foursome on Bethpage Black if we can round up a few guys. :mrgreen:
  • That's awesome BB. How difficult was Pinehurst 2? I've heard horror stories about those greens.

Nick Watney and Jason Day just showed up to the course with their smokin' hot girlfriends. Must be nice being a PGA pro.

I'm pulling for Watney today. His cousin is the NESN reporter for the red sox, Heidi Watney, who took 2nd place in the Miss California contest a few years back. Nice.
    that's bullshit! how can that be called a bunker for christsakes?!!

well, anyway...GO BUBBA!!
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    norm wrote:
    that's bullshit! how can that be called a bunker for christsakes?!!

well, anyway...GO BUBBA!!

Totally a BS call!
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Golf?? An entire thread for golf?!? ;)

I think I took a wrong turn somewhere.....
    I was looking for the highway to the dangerzone, not
    *fell asleep just thinking about golf*

It was in your state this week Jen! No excitement for Whistling Straits?

It was in your state this week Jen! No excitement for Whistling Straits?
    Ahh, yes! And it was so
    *dozes off again*

:lol:
    so the ryder cup is almost set

1. Phil Mickelson
    2. Hunter Mahan
    3. Bubba Watson
    4. Jim Furyk
    5. Steve Stricker
    6. Dustin Johnson
    7. Jeff Overton
    8. Matt Kuchar

pavin has to pick one of these guys for his 4 wild card picks

9. Anthony Kim
    10. Lucas Glover
    11. Zach Johnson
    12. Tiger Woods

it's really weird that tiger will be (maybe) a captains pick
    That's awesome BB. How difficult was Pinehurst 2? I've heard horror stories about those greens.

The fairways were really wide and theres really not too much trouble out there since they keep the rough really low. However the horror stories you heard about the greens are true. I still remember hitting a pretty nice shot out of a greenside bunker landing it short of the hole and ball rolled off the green into another bunker on the other side and than i did the same thing on the next shot and went back to the original bunker. You will definitely putt off the green at least once really no getting around that one. Due to the fact they were all crowned you really couldnt shoot for anything but the front part of the greens because if you hit the middle it would bounce off and every single time a ball rolled off a green the caddies would yell out welcome to pinehurst which got real annoying very quickly. :lol:
  • That's awesome BB. How difficult was Pinehurst 2? I've heard horror stories about those greens.

The fairways were really wide and theres really not too much trouble out there since they keep the rough really low. However the horror stories you heard about the greens are true. I still remember hitting a pretty nice shot out of a greenside bunker landing it short of the hole and ball rolled off the green into another bunker on the other side and than i did the same thing on the next shot and went back to the original bunker. You will definitely putt off the green at least once really no getting around that one. Due to the fact they were all crowned you really couldnt shoot for anything but the front part of the greens because if you hit the middle it would bounce off and every single time a ball rolled off a green the caddies would yell out welcome to pinehurst which got real annoying very quickly. :lol:
    My home course is a Ross design, so I'm very familiar with the crowned, elevated greens. I'm not a very strong putter to begin with, so I'm sure it would be a nightmare for me at Pinehurst. But that's interesting what you said about the open-ness of the course. There need to be concessions made by the super at places like that if the greens are so treacherous and cutting down the rough must be their way of helping players, especially at a resort course.
  • norm wrote:
    pavin has to pick one of these guys for his 4 wild card picks
    9. Anthony Kim
    10. Lucas Glover
    11. Zach Johnson
    12. Tiger Woods
    Okay norm...say you're Pavin. You're 5'2" and you need to make the final two picks. Who you got? Tiger and Kim? Zach and Tiger? Remember, the most chemistry displayed by a US Ryder Cup team since 99 at Brookline was two years ago at Valhalla, without Tiger. I could see Little Corey keeping Tiger off the team, but he'll probably pick him under pressure from the TV suits clamoring for ratings.
    [/quote]
    My home course is a Ross design, so I'm very familiar with the crowned, elevated greens. I'm not a very strong putter to begin with, so I'm sure it would be a nightmare for me at Pinehurst. But that's interesting what you said about the open-ness of the course. There need to be concessions made by the super at places like that if the greens are so treacherous and cutting down the rough must be their way of helping players, especially at a resort course.[/quote]

Ive always been a streaky putter myself but my main problem was always decelerating my putts which is probably everyones biggest issue on the greens. If you're struggling with putting check out the link below because it helped my game considerably and it was only 40 bucks. My buddy picked this up at the start of the season and after watching him drain every short putt it didn't take me long to follow. I've never been a fan of any training aids but this thing is a lifesaver definitely the best investment in the game I've ever made outside of lessons.

http://www.tgw.com/customer/category/pr ... fScid/1363
    say you're Pavin. You're 5'2"

:lol: and i've met pavin...he's eddie vedder small :P

i hope that pavin has talked to tiger to see if tiger really wants to be there...if he wants to be there, i'd put him on the team...he's still tiger woods and maybe the camaraderie of the cup will help him mentally

i wonder which of tigers 27 chicks he will bring to ireland? :lol::lol:
  • norm wrote:
    Instead of a golf cart to ride around the course next month, they should just give him a little horse.
    norm wrote:
    I'm sure Tiger has a few numbers of Irish girls he can pull up in his smartphone. Why bring them along at this point? He doesn't need to be subjected to their complaining the entire flight over there. But for the sake of comedy, picture some lady friend of Tiger whining/complaining on the private flight to Europe. Tiger and Stevie are making non-verbal communication to each other, Tiger nodding and Stevie clenching his teeth. Then all of a sudden, Stevie strong-arms this woman to the other end of the plane with the same zeal as he showed those poor photogs at Bethpage. That would be high comedy in my book.
    norm wrote:
    Instead of a golf cart to ride around the course next month, they should just give him a little horse.
    norm wrote:
    I'm sure Tiger has a few numbers of Irish girls he can pull up in his smartphone. Why bring them along at this point? He doesn't need to be subjected to their complaining the entire flight over there. But for the sake of comedy, picture some lady friend of Tiger whining/complaining on the private flight to Europe. Tiger and Stevie are making non-verbal communication to each other, Tiger nodding and Stevie clenching his teeth. Then all of a sudden, Stevie strong-arms this woman to the other end of the plane with the same zeal as he showed those poor photogs at Bethpage. That would be high comedy in my book.

ya know, if stevie was his 'life caddy' none of this would ever had happened...stevie don't put up with the bullshit :lol:

and you're right, i'm pretty sure tiger has a few Irish lasses waiting for him :mrgreen:
  • Who says professional golfers play slow? Can you pull this off at your local course?

SHEBOYGAN, Wis. -- Jeff Overton pumped his fist Sunday and broke into a wide smile when he finished the PGA Championship.

He is virtually a lock to make his first Ryder Cup team. But that wasn't the cause of his mock celebration.

Playing alone in the first group off when ailing Ian Poulter withdrew, Overton walked 18 holes at Whistling Straits in 2 hours, 9 minutes, to break the PGA Championship record for quickest round.

"Awesome! My first record at a major," Overton said.

It beat the previous mark -- by one minute -- set by Phil Blackmaar at Crooked Stick in 1991.

The record is not official, of course. But the information came from Kerry Haigh, the championship director for the PGA of America, so somebody is keeping track of this stuff -- even if Overton wasn't.

And it's not as if he didn't care, at least at the start of his round.

He was aware Poulter was suffering from a chest infection and that he would be playing by himself. Overton opened with a bogey, took double bogey on the fourth and figured there wasn't much left for him to do but finish.

"I gave it my best, especially early," he said. "I got some bad breaks, and the next thing I know I said, 'Let's go ahead and get this round over with.' "

He finished the front nine in one hour, and made a clutch 7-foot putt for par on the last hole to shoot 79.

In relatively mild conditions Sunday morning, caddie Eric Larson was sweating. Larson has experience with fast play, having worked with Mark Calcavecchia several times.

Who's faster?

"Calc can't run down some of these hills," Larson said.

Overton was playing for the eighth time in 10 weeks and was exhausted. Closing with a 79 most likely will have no bearing on finishing among the top eight in the Ryder Cup standings to earn a spot on his first team. He is at No. 5, with two of the three players directly below him having missed the cut.

It would take a mathematical miracle Sunday for Overton not to finish among the top eight, and the realization began to sink in. Overton studied the list well going into the PGA Championship, doing everything but pushing a pencil.

Still, he wasn't quite ready to celebrate. He conceded that the scenarios to bump him out of the top eight would be the equivalent of someone shooting a 59 in the final round.

"And I've had a 59 shot on me," he said, referring to Stuart Appleby at the Greenbrier.

Overton would be the first American in the Ryder Cup to have never won on the PGA Tour. Oliver Wilson of England has yet to win as a professional and played the last Ryder Cup.

Overton, a 27-year-old from Indiana, played as consistently as anyone this year. After starting out with no top 10s in his first 10 tournaments, he spent two weeks working with his old coaches, hired Larson as his caddie and took off -- runner-up in New Orleans and Dallas, third in Colonial, third at the AT&T National.

Then, he added Greenbrier at the last minute because it had a big purse, and finished second to Appleby.

Overton never dreamed he would be in this spot at the start of the year.

"I had no idea what it took, what the requirements were," Overton said. "But that would be awesome. I'm looking forward to getting over there. I feel like I'm playing as good as anyone."

On Sunday, he was playing as quickly as anyone ever has in the PGA Championship.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Who says professional golfers play slow? Can you pull this off at your local course?

SHEBOYGAN, Wis. -- Jeff Overton pumped his fist Sunday and broke into a wide smile when he finished the PGA Championship.

He is virtually a lock to make his first Ryder Cup team. But that wasn't the cause of his mock celebration.

Playing alone in the first group off when ailing Ian Poulter withdrew, Overton walked 18 holes at Whistling Straits in 2 hours, 9 minutes, to break the PGA Championship record for quickest round.

i played 28 holes in 2 hrs 5 mins with a buddy on a cart ... granted it was more of an executive course with 12 par 3's, 5 par 4's and a par 5 ...

feel bad for DJ ... it's a stupid rule on a wacky course but at the same time there were notes left in the locker room and a lot of golfers read it ...