Options

Crocodile cafe in seattle closed

evenflowmanevenflowman Posts: 1,345
edited December 2007 in The Porch
Man what a sad day today the croc is closed saw alot of great seattle bands there and other bands no one knows why they closed the door said they locked it on sun night man what a great place and they had the best music and pancakes hopefully they get some money to get it back open here is the add
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004078691_webcroc17m.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I was just there less than three weeks ago. Wow.

(I live in Texas. It was my first trip to Seattle. I went to a show there just to say I did).

Bummer.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    mark armmark arm Posts: 962
    Looks like it got closed because Peter Buck from REM divorced from his wife (They were the owners)
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Here's another thread in Other Music:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=267047

The writing was definitely on the wall earlier in the month when they lost their booker. I hope someone jumps in and brings it back to life.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    Well that's a bummer. I have Mad Season's first show from there too..
  • Options
    i was thinking why wouldn't peter buck try to keep it open since it was an excellent hangout for all his pals when they came to town, but the divorce explains that.

i have a million great memories and good stories about the croc. the second week i lived in seattle, my roommate took me out to see a show at rckndy and then we went to the croc to hang out (rckndy may have been alcohol free at the time). while sitting in the back bar, dave says, don't freak out, but eddie vedder is behind you. he was about ten feet away, standing outside the bathroom talking to someone. when we left we walked through the cafe and he was standing at the end of a table, in the walkway, so i brushed him as i walked by. i was surprised at how short he was because you always think they are ten feet tall. i didn't know that i would see 'rock stars' all the time while just hanging out in seattle, but that night was still one of the greatest i've had in 14 years!

i also saw the gacy bunch aka mad season the first time they played there. one night while hanging out, the guys from bush and gwen stefani came in to hang out after their show in tacoma, with of all people, kim thayil. you never knew who was going to be there hanging out on any given night. i haven't been to the croc in ages, but it will truly be missed. maybe like moe's it can come back as newcroc or something.
    madison, wi october 16, 1991
    east troy, wi august 29, 1992- stage two set by eddie and chris cornell
    vancouver, bc september 2, 2005- backstage with the supersuckers
    george, wa july 23, 2006
  • Options
    senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    damm, that sucks!

It's kind of sad....the situation.
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    when I was in seattle for the gorge, my friends told us to meet them at this little cafe, we walked there, buzzed already... it took me about 5 minutes to realize I was in the Crocodile Cafe, then I started talking to people because it was FUCKING PACKED and everyone said Pearl Jam is playing a show tonight, never happened, but still, awesome place
    I love seattle!
  • Options
    So you deliberately brushed/touched him? That is really strange.

jealous? yes i did do it on purpose, but even if i hadn't done it dilerately i likely would have brushed him as i passed because the place was packed and the walkway from the back bar through the cafe was narrow. it was 1994 and as a twenty-something, it seemed like the best thing to do to tell my friends back home.
    jeff ran into me one night at the backstage and i'm not trying to accuse anyone, but it seemed like he might have done it on purpose but i'm not trying to judge anyone, so you shouldn't either.
    madison, wi october 16, 1991
    east troy, wi august 29, 1992- stage two set by eddie and chris cornell
    vancouver, bc september 2, 2005- backstage with the supersuckers
    george, wa july 23, 2006
  • Options
    wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    Now that's some sad news.

A real shame for Seattle. That place is awesome.
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
  • Options
    jealous? yes i did do it on purpose, but even if i hadn't done it dilerately i likely would have brushed him as i passed because the place was packed and the walkway from the back bar through the cafe was narrow. it was 1994 and as a twenty-something, it seemed like the best thing to do to tell my friends back home.
    jeff ran into me one night at the backstage and i'm not trying to accuse anyone, but it seemed like he might have done it on purpose but i'm not trying to judge anyone, so you shouldn't either.

Not jealous at all. I don't make it a point to bump into people, celebrity or not. Whatever floats your boat though.
  • Options
    RAT!RAT! Posts: 115
    this is just one more blow to the seattle music scene with just having the showbox bought by corporate america, and the block of pine and belmont being turned into more fuckin condos. its really fuckin sad!!!!
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,005
    Man what a sad day today the croc is closed saw alot of great seattle bands there and other bands no one knows why they closed the door said they locked it on sun night man what a great place and they had the best music and pancakes hopefully they get some money to get it back open here is the add
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004078691_webcroc17m.html
    Who have you seen there- just wondering
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Damn. Was just there in October but did not have time to go to that particular stop...Agenda was too full...Damn...
    Donate to Advocacy for Patients with Chronic Illness today.
  • Options
    sigh eternallysigh eternally Chicago Posts: 421
    i'm going to miss their potatoes
  • Options
    mark armmark arm Posts: 962
    Mudhoney, Melvins, Silkworm did awesome shows there. Fuck you Peter Buck
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • Options
    mark arm wrote:
    Fuck you Peter Buck

What did Peter Buck do?
  • Options
    Peter Buck was about as involved in this as you and I were... this was his wife's club. She owned it before she ever met him!

As for the club closing, it's on the front page of the local Seattle paper (the Seattle Post-Intelligencer). They apparently had TONS of financial issues (employees paychecks bouncing, checks to bands bouncing etc...). It's too bad as it was a Seattle institution.

This city is becoming very unfriendly to music venues, they've recently passed a noise ordinance for clubs that can result in a $2,000 fine per violation (OUCH!). That and the new nightclub regulations, I'd say the smaller venues in areas like belltown & capitol hill (those surrounded by swanky condos) are doomed!
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Peter Buck was about as involved in this as you and I were... this was his wife's club. She owned it before she ever met him!

As for the club closing, it's on the front page of the local Seattle paper (the Seattle Post-Intelligencer). They apparently had TONS of financial issues (employees paychecks bouncing, checks to bands bouncing etc...). It's too bad as it was a Seattle institution.

This city is becoming very unfriendly to music venues, they've recently passed a noise ordinance for clubs that can result in a $2,000 fine per violation (OUCH!). That and the new nightclub regulations, I'd say the smaller venues in areas like belltown & capitol hill (those surrounded by swanky condos) are doomed!

Sounds like Seattle is rapidly becoming another boring big city. Too bad. Oh well, we still have Portland.
  • Options
    laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    what a shame.seems like another era is gone. u could go to the croc and see hovercraft ,watt,with ed maybe sitting in the back.thats where we chatted anyway. it was a great place to catch bands. ucould sit and talk to the guys from mudhoney,all sorts of folk. perhaps someone will pick it up,so there isnt another void in the city. like ed said"when will music get some respect in this town"......well hopefully the croc wont turn to dust,as it has quite a history.
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • Options
    RAT! wrote:
    this is just one more blow to the seattle music scene with just having the showbox bought by corporate america, and the block of pine and belmont being turned into more fuckin condos. its really fuckin sad!!!!

I know, it makes me SICK to my stomach. That's all we really need, right? More baby-shit colored condos.
    ...master of karate and friendship for everyone!
  • Options
    Great memories there.

I'm not preachin' but....
    Everyone should phone city hall and ask for Mayor Greg Nickels. Do your part to remind him and the city council, that places for young musicians to learn there craft and get exposure is an important part of the life and art in this community. Let them know that they are systematicaly
    deystroying what makes this city a place people want to live in just for the sake of the developers.

Just my opinion.
  • Options
    gabers wrote:
    Sounds like Seattle is rapidly becoming another boring big city. Too bad. Oh well, we still have Portland.

And ... TONIGHT ... WE ... ROCK ...

.. PORTLAND!

:D

RIP The Croc -- I was only there once, 1994 at age 14, during the day, with my father, no music. But i could "feel" the vibe and understand the sadness.

:(
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    I left Seattle when undercurrents were brewing against live music venues. This was in 2003, and I remember thinking that the last place to go would be the Croc. I only went a couple times. Once for a benefit, and once to see Tuatara (Buck's band). I had hummous there, once :)

Dang, Seattle must really be a shithole now for a nationally recognize venue to close. When I left Sit N' Spin had a fence around it, and garbage strewn on the sidewalk. Very sad. I liked Sit N' Spin.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    Why are all the Seattle music venues closing?

With Seattle closing everything, what cities are there that have a good amount of music venues? I know Miami has like, very very little.
  • Options
    I remember going there one night in '92, chasing a rumor that PJ was going to play a secret, unannounced show. The atmosphere was electric, everyone charged with anticipation. As it turns out, the rumor was false, but Peter Buck did play an unscheduled solo set, so that was cool.

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come...."
  • Options
    Not jealous at all. I don't make it a point to bump into people, celebrity or not. Whatever floats your boat though.

I gave Angus Young (AC/DC) a slap on the back once in '81 at Keyarena. He would come out in the crowd (on a roadie's shoulders) during his Bad Boy Boogie solo. They came right towards me, so I reached up and patted him on the back.

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come...."
  • Options
    roarroar Posts: 1,116
    i shall miss you, ceiling snakes.

r.i.p.
  • Options
    http://seattleweekly.com/2007-12-19/music/the-croc-is-closed-for-good.php

Stephanie Dorgan is a bitch for doing what she did, the way she did it. No wonder Peter Buck divorced her.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    This is a bummer. What a great place to see a live show and get some good grub.

Seeing Mudhoney there will be a lasting memory for me.