Options

While playing Bonnaroo is cool, it would be

huck5huck5 Posts: 91
edited February 2008 in The Porch
awesome to know if PJ is playing ANYWHERE else in 2008. Not completely sold on taking my 6 year old to Bonnaroo to see Pearl Jam, whom he likes. Having not been to Bonnaroo, not sure if the festival environment is something I want to subject him to at the age of 6. In addition, June in Tennessee is dang hot! :-) The commute from Oak Ridge, TN to Manchester is only 150 miles, so I do not have to worry about camping.

Bonnaroo veterans, what are some pros/cons of having a six year old at Bonnaroo?

Also, can you purchase a one day pass?

Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bump for the Bonnaroo vets...
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,005
    huck5 wrote:

Thanks.
    No one day passes- it says it on their website
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    There are no day passes.

I used to take my daughter from the time she was a baby, to all kinds of festivals and concerts. You just have to be smart about it and understand that your child comes first and you have to make some sacrifices to tend to their needs. I took her to Phish - BigCypress for 3 days when she was 7 and she still talks about it because she had such an amazing time.

There is a whole board devoted to taking kids to Roo here - lots of good info:

http://bonnaroo.proboards21.com/index.cgi?board=family
  • Options
    upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    seren327 wrote:
    There are no day passes.

I used to take my daughter from the time she was a baby, to all kinds of festivals and concerts. You just have to be smart about it and understand that your child comes first and you have to make some sacrifices to tend to their needs. I took her to Phish - BigCypress for 3 days when she was 7 and she still talks about it because she had such an amazing time.

CHEESECAKE!!!

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Options
    HatfieldHatfield Posts: 122
    huck5 wrote:
    awesome to know if PJ is playing ANYWHERE else in 2008. Not completely sold on taking my 6 year old to Bonnaroo to see Pearl Jam, whom he likes. Having not been to Bonnaroo, not sure if the festival environment is something I want to subject him to at the age of 6. In addition, June in Tennessee is dang hot! :-) The commute from Oak Ridge, TN to Manchester is only 150 miles, so I do not have to worry about camping.

Bonnaroo veterans, what are some pros/cons of having a six year old at Bonnaroo?

Thanks.

I think the crowd and environment is something I wouldn't take a 6 year old to. If you had a hotel and drove in it might be cool, but sitting out in that sweltering heat and then waiting for the 9:00 Pearl Jam show could be too much for the little one.
    '96 - 10/5
    '98 - 9/1 9/4 9/18
    '00 - 8/6 8/7 8/15 8/17 9/5
    '03 - 4/9 4/15 4/19 7/11 7/12
    '04 - 10/6 10/8
    '05 - 9/11 9/12 9/13 9/15
    '06 - 5/27 5/28 7/7 7/13 7/18 7/22 7/23
  • Options
    Hatfield wrote:
    I think the crowd and environment is something I wouldn't take a 6 year old to. If you had a hotel and drove in it might be cool, but sitting out in that sweltering heat and then waiting for the 9:00 Pearl Jam show could be too much for the little one.

Yeah, you have to be careful and not get the kids overheated. We live 2.5hrs away, so the drive in/out wouldn't be bad.

If I take him, I will not camp with him there, although he would probably love it. The 3 year old, while he would love it, will stay with grandparenets for the weekend.

Six year old wants to see Pearl Jam, and I think it would be a cool experience, if at the right venue. I'm all about him experiencing a lot of different things, just not sure about Bonnaroo. Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    seren327 wrote:
    There are no day passes.

Thanks for the link.
  • Options
    pjambamapjambama Posts: 126
    i haven't ever been but the one plus that i think i read was that kids 6 and under get in free?
  • Options
    pjambama wrote:
    i haven't ever been but the one plus that i think i read was that kids 6 and under get in free?

He'll be 7 in April...so maybe 6 is close enough...

:-)
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    huck5 wrote:

Thanks.

Probably already said here, but no one day passes. All tickets are for the entire weekend. Whether you actually go for all four days is up to you.

Also, according to the ticket info page on Bonnaroo's site (http://www.bonnaroo.com/tickets.aspx) Tickets are required for children 6 and older, so if you take your son, he needs to say he is only 5 to save you a couple hundred dollars.

I doubt any harm would come to him there, just keep an eye on him so he doesn't get lost, there will be about 80,000 people there. He will inevitably see some drug use and/or nudity during the weekend. If you have a problem with that, you should not take him.
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I am really hoping for a mini south tour either leading up to or following Bonaroo. If that's not the case, hopefully we will see them maybe play some festival shows like local radio station festivals this fall or a tour to support the election. Either one of these would be great, and I am purely speculating all of this. Hopeully good news is ahead, sounds like it from that Busy year email from Ten club anyway. :D

I just can't afford Bonaroo, it's just not gonna happen for me, plus if they do announce more dates I am hoping to hit 2 maybe 3 shows depending on where they are.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    googoo Posts: 226
    NeilJam wrote:
    He will inevitably see some drug use and/or nudity during the weekend. If you have a problem with that, you should not take him.

could you give me an example of the nudity seen at bonnaroo in previous years? this is a concern for me.
  • Options
    goo wrote:
    could you give me an example of the nudity seen at bonnaroo in previous years? this is a concern for me.

I have only been to 1 Bonnaroo, which was the very first one in 2002 as a High School Graduation thing with my friends. The only nudity I saw was when one night at like 4 am there was a nude parade and all these people going through the camp playing music and dancing naked. Many were painted. It was kind of crazy but you can get away from it, as they stayed near where the stages were, you'd be fine in your tent. I heard it's changed a lot and it is less "hippie" now so that might not happen again.
  • Options
    Bonnaroo also provides a family safe camping area, where the noise is kept to a minimum at night. They have more info on that on their site and I believe space is limited in that camping area.