Options

Who would like to see PJ do a double album?

Thief_of_silenceThief_of_silence Posts: 52
edited June 2010 in The Porch
I'm talking an EPIC (not that any of their previous albums aren't epic ;) ) thematic double album, such as Quadrophenia, Tommy, The Wall, etc. I would love to see the next album turn out this way, what do you guys think?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    I think we all would, but it will most likely never happen.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    theserialthrillatheserialthrilla Posts: 15,760
    if its great then yes...but is its sub standard no way...i cant see them doing it after a short backspacers..but who knows...i would sooner take a great 60 min ablum...but im sure the next poster will disagree ;)
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    but im sure the next poster will disagree ;)

I disagree.

What was the question again?
  • Options
    Claireack wrote:

I disagree.

:lol:
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,151
    Claireack wrote:

I disagree.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    Claireack wrote:

I disagree.

brilliant!! ha! :lol:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    theserialthrillatheserialthrilla Posts: 15,760
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    How about a Double Album of Covers?
  • Options
    i want them to make a triple album.
  • Options
    redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    id prefer a normal double album or something like melon collie by pumpkins
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    imo, it's just a matter of time
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    imo, it's just a matter of time

I think so too (at least I hope so!) I think they would love to follow the grand tradition of rock's great double LPs
  • Options
    that's something that young, ambitious bands do..... :o
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    jwagnerjwagner Posts: 435
    edited June 2010
    Love it!! The grandiose, atmospheric side of the PJ is one of their best traits (ie. much of 'Binaural'!). Would give them a great excuse to utilize Boom some more, and give Jeff some room to stretch out further on the 8-string and upright bass...

Would also be a cool contrast to the short 'Backspacer' (which rules, I'm not a 'Backspacer' hater by any means).

Would also fall in line with some of their '70s influences (ie. The Who's 'Quadrophenia').

But they'll do whatever they want, of course. I seem to remember Stone saying something about sometimes getting the itch to make their own 'Tales From Topographic Oceans,' but I'd have to locate the source of that quote, it was a long time ago...
    Post edited by jwagner on
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine"
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,910
    I grew up in the 1960's and 1970's when there was vinyl. You would get 35-50 minutes on an album, typically 8-10 songs. With the advent of CD's and their capacity to store more information, albums have gotten longer. In fact, I would venture a guess that Backspacer and Merkinball would be the only 2 albums that could fit onto a 1970's style vinyl and all of the other albums would probably would need 2 vinyl disks. Backspacer was very much like a 1970's album. If you are asking for something the size of Smashing Pumpkins Meloncholy which requires 2 CD's, wow, that is a lot of material and a lot of pressure on the band. Even these 60-70 minute CD's is a lot of material. I would personally prefer the Backspacer approach where they focus on fewer songs but really get them right. Then, every once in a while, maybe release some sort of Lost Dogs type of album for the die-hard fans. That's my thought. Thanks, OP for putting up an interesting topic.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I grew up in the 1960's and 1970's when there was vinyl. You would get 35-50 minutes on an album, typically 8-10 songs. With the advent of CD's and their capacity to store more information, albums have gotten longer. In fact, I would venture a guess that Backspacer and Merkinball would be the only 2 albums that could fit onto a 1970's style vinyl and all of the other albums would probably would need 2 vinyl disks. Backspacer was very much like a 1970's album. If you are asking for something the size of Smashing Pumpkins Meloncholy which requires 2 CD's, wow, that is a lot of material and a lot of pressure on the band. Even these 60-70 minute CD's is a lot of material. I would personally prefer the Backspacer approach where they focus on fewer songs but really get them right. Then, every once in a while, maybe release some sort of Lost Dogs type of album for the die-hard fans. That's my thought. Thanks, OP for putting up an interesting topic.

This is a really good point...'Backspacer' is great in part because of its brevity. In there, outta there, 37+ minutes of (what I think is) total quality, 11 really great, tight, solid songs. I hate when bands record 79-minute albums or whatever, just because that's how much space there is on a disc...but there have been some double-albums that are totally listenable, and I think Pearl Jam is capable of such a beast. Not holding my breath though... :?
    Post edited by jwagner on
  • Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    I'm talking an EPIC (not that any of their previous albums aren't epic ;) ) thematic double album, such as Quadrophenia, Tommy, The Wall, etc. I would love to see the next album turn out this way, what do you guys think?

And hopefully they perform the entire album at every show they play to support it, thus keeping my streak of hearing every album song alive, with only going to one show next tour! Might as well play Education, Undone, and Brother as an encore while they are at it!

Or they could release the alleged EP with longer songs that didn't fit backspacer, call it Frontspacer, and include a box to store the 10C editions of back/front together. Sort of like Metallica's Load and Reload, Reload came with a box.

While we are throwing out crazy wishes, I also think they should fire whoever decided to not make the 2003 Christmas single a 45.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,749
    Pearl Jam circa 96-00: yes, bring on the double album

Pearl Jam post 02: nope, they're too obsessed with straight forward garage rock right now to put out something that would stay interesting for that length of time
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260

Pearl Jam post 02: nope, they're too obsessed with straight forward garage rock right now to put out something that would stay interesting for that length of time
    Indeed sir! Absolutely no sleight on the band at all but I don't think the creativity level required to pull this off is there now. They're in a happier place now and a happy double album would be too much. The Smashing Pumpkins got it right with Mellon Collie.. but they couldn't achieve that now. However if Vitalogy and No Code had been recorded in the same sessions and produced a double album it would be the greatest double album..........

............EVER!!! :D
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    Ok if they never end up making their own double album, I would settle for them covering the entire Quadrophenia album :D:D:D

With the band in full 70's era Who clothing of course....Eddie with the tassle jacket, Jeff with the skeleton outfit, and Mike and Stone in full white jumpsuits wearing Doc Martins, and Matt can choose any Keith Moon disguise he sees fit :lol:
  • Options

honestly? i don't think they could pull it off.
  • Options

Guess I'm not getting this sentiment/perception that crops up on The Porch occasionally -- "Love Boat Captain," "I Am Mine," "Thumbing My Way," "You Are," "Severed Hand," "Gone," "Parachutes," "Army Reserve," "Inside Job," "Just Breathe," "Amongst the Waves," "Unthought Known," "Speed of Sound" and "Force of Nature" are straight forward garage rock now? If this caliber of material IS garage rock, then bring on the double-album of garage rock.
  • Options

honestly? i don't think they could pull it off.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.....Man what is it with all the PJ doubt on the boards lately???
  • Options
    GoGatorsGoGators Posts: 40
    Disc 1 - Acoustic
    Disc 2 - PUNK Songs
  • Options
    im not a big fan of double albums to be honest. tons of filler in most of them. Lost Dogs is really all the double album i need (which is also full of filler).

just hurry the fuck up and make one new album please
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,380
    Sorry, I don't think it's a good idea.

I can only think of one really great double album, with no filler: Physical Graffiti. And that had a lot of leftover material from older albums.

Here are some other ones that people mention, and the filler on those:
    White Album: #9, Me & My Monkey, Happiness is a Warm Gun, Savoy Truffle, Good Night
    Tommy: Holiday Camp, Fiddle About, Sally Simpson...
    Quadrophenia: Tracks 4-8 are rather painful
    The Wall: TONS of filler - actually only about 10 good songs out of 26 tracks

Foo Fighters had a double album called In Your Honor. If they just took the 13 best songs it would've been an amazing single album; instead it was an ok double album.

Metallica's Load & Reload were almost 80 minutes each, and grew incredibly painful towards the end.

Point is, just keep the albums to the 40-50 minute range, please.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    ZidaneZidane Ottawa Posts: 362

Totally agree with you!
    You're not what you own - Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    05 - Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    09 - Toronto, Philly (Show #3-4)
    10 - Cleveland
    11 - Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa
    13 - London (ON), Philly (x2)
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    ZidaneZidane Ottawa Posts: 362
    veddertown wrote:

Indeed sir! Absolutely no sleight on the band at all but I don't think the creativity level required to pull this off is there now. They're in a happier place now and a happy double album would be too much. The Smashing Pumpkins got it right with Mellon Collie.. but they couldn't achieve that now. However if Vitalogy and No Code had been recorded in the same sessions and produced a double album it would be the greatest double album..........

............EVER!!! :D

So true!! But then again, which song would be starting the album? Sometimes or Last Exit? Or maybe one would start disc 1 and the other disc 2? What a killer double album it would've been!!!!
    You're not what you own - Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    05 - Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    09 - Toronto, Philly (Show #3-4)
    10 - Cleveland
    11 - Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa
    13 - London (ON), Philly (x2)
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    I could see this idea panning out.
    Something with a road theme to it,
    a journey.
    Escape? Revenge? Love?
    Oh, we're off to see...
    King Jeremy the Wicked?!
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • Options
    the last thing i want is a Pearl Jam concept album. i dont like concept albums. they are like musicals, which i also hate.