Options

Eddie still in the running for an Oscar nomination?

TaftTaft Posts: 453
edited January 2008 in The Porch
Seems like "Falling Slowly" might be ruled ineligible, would they pick a replacement? It would be ridiculous if neither Into the Wild or the Once soundtrack had a song up for an Oscar as they were far and away the best music soundtracks of this year, or virtually any year:

Getting the Once Over

The original song category for the Oscars has already hit its share of clanky notes, what with none of Eddie Vedder’s breathtaking songs for “Into the Wild” making the cut. And now comes quiet word that “Falling Slowly,” the achingly pretty song from “Once” written by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, may be ruled ineligible. The Bagger has been making some calls and there are indications that that the song, which is up against three, count ‘em three, songs from “Enchanted” in addition to “Raise It Up” from “August Rush,” may have some problems with eligibility requirements. Post nominations, this tempest could set the teapot to boiling.

The relevant language from the Academy rules suggests: “An original song consists of words and music, both of which are original and written specifically for the film.” (bold is theirs)

It is unclear how “Falling Slowly” may have run afoul of those rules, but the music branch of the Academy branch will be looking into the matter on Monday with a decision to follow soon after.

This is the time of year when mini-controversies, most of them cooked up by parties who finished out of the money, bubble up, so best wait until all the facts are in before commencing to freak out.

http://carpetbagger.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/26/song-getting-the-once-over
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I always thought "ineligable" meant "ineligable even if another choice is ruled ineligable"....
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    I always thought "ineligable" meant "ineligable even if another choice is ruled ineligable"....

Eddie isn't ineligible for best song only for best score, he just didn't make the nomination for best song because the academy probably just doesn't like Eddie.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Well, Falling Slowly is in The Frames' album The Cost.
    The question is... was it written specifically for the movie?

This thing is ridiculous. I got over Eddie not being in the pool just because I love Falling Slowly so much :(
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    jordn6971 wrote:
    Eddie isn't ineligible for best song only for best score, he just didn't make the nomination for best song because the academy probably just doesn't like Eddie.

No the song was also ruled ineligible because you have to send in a clip of the movie with the song playing iin its entirety and obv it doesnt in ITW only the humming version so therefore they had no clip to send in.

if Falling Slowly is DQ im going to be pissed. Hopefully IF it is they take another ORIGINAL song from Once.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    No the song was also ruled ineligible because you have to send in a clip of the movie with the song playing iin its entirety and obv it doesnt in ITW only the humming version so therefore they had no clip to send in.

if Falling Slowly is DQ im going to be pissed. Hopefully IF it is they take another ORIGINAL song from Once.

I'm not positive but what I read wasn't that it was disqualified for that, but it just didn't represent the song as well because it was played over the credits. So that just hurt the chances of it winning, but didn't disqualify it. I could be wrong, but that still wouldn't explain why none of the other songs were nominated then.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    The song is not an integral part of the film itself if it just plays over the final credits. That is why Guaranteed is not eligible. Though why Rise & (I think) Long Nights weren't nominated, since they were both submitted also, is strange. Personally I think they're both better than Guaranteed (which is still great.)

Still, dunno why I care, since the Oscars are just an excuse for the rich n famous to suck each others cocks. Unnecessary self-congratulatory bullshit. Rant over.
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    The song is not an integral part of the film itself if it just plays over the final credits. That is why Guaranteed is not eligible. Though why Rise & (I think) Long Nights weren't nominated, since they were both submitted also, is strange. Personally I think they're both better than Guaranteed (which is still great.)

Still, dunno why I care, since the Oscars are just an excuse for the rich n famous to suck each others cocks. Unnecessary self-congratulatory bullshit. Rant over.

haha good call

thats why they keep giving eastwood oscars
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    TaftTaft Posts: 453
    Falling Slowly stays....which is good news.
  • Options
    Taft wrote:
    Falling Slowly stays....which is good news.

thank god it better win
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}