vinyl pressings

jmacdjmacd Posts: 145
edited January 2008 in The Porch
does anyone know a link where you can find which pressing it is by the bar code? looking to find out what pressing i have of a few albums? thanks in advance.
toronto '92 X 2, toronto '93, hamilton '05, toronto 1 '06, toronto '09, buffalo '10, london '13, buffalo '13
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jmacdjmacd Posts: 145
    bumped for help
    toronto '92 X 2, toronto '93, hamilton '05, toronto 1 '06, toronto '09, buffalo '10, london '13, buffalo '13
  • ZAPPERZAPPER Posts: 246
    jmacd wrote:
    does anyone know a link where you can find which pressing it is by the bar code? looking to find out what pressing i have of a few albums? thanks in advance.

Not sure i know exactly what you are talking about, but there should be hand scribed writing on the center of the vinyl, states details about that specific record i believe. Kind of like reading tire sizes i would assume, every number or letter has some kind of meaning
    Previously known as Elzar
    ZAPPER wrote:
    Not sure i know exactly what you are talking about, but there should be hand scribed writing on the center of the vinyl, states details about that specific record i believe. Kind of like reading tire sizes i would assume, every number or letter has some kind of meaning

was hoping by the outside of the packaging as the albums are still sealed. i checked on eilDOTcom and they kinda give me an idea of at least where they have been printed (eg UK US etc) just not which pressing it is
  • I collect records... i found this to be the best way to find original pressings.

Usually the bar code or ISBN numbers aren't that helpful for determining pressings.

Look at the spine of the record jacket. There should be a 5 to eight digit code like
    or

Original pressings will not vary.

Second pressings will have a hyphen like

12345-A
    or
    12345-1

You can also find this information on the label of the record and most importantly you will find this info on the record's matrix...along with phrases or wording left by whoever mastered the record usually as instructed by the band.
    the Minions
  • TangerineTangerine Posts: 880
    2006: Boston I, Camden II
    2007: Chicago
    2008: Hartford, Mansfield I & II, EV Boston
    2009: Philly III & IV
    2010: Boston
    2011: PJ20
    2012: Philly
    2013: Worcester I & II, Brooklyn I & II
  • dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    yes, that will tell you WHERE they were pressed by catalog number, but WHICH pressing, as stated by the learned vinyl collector man above, is usually a detail on the matrix. for example, in 1991 the first pressing of ten was limited to a certain number of copies. once they were sold, a second pressing run of the album was done. the scratched-in matrix number is the best way to discern between the two. markings on the outsides of the packages are more common to older vinyl...

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
    thanks for all of your info on this