Gorillaz

eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
edited February 2012 in Other Music
Gorillaz will release their third album, 'Plastic Beach' on March 8, the cartoon creations of Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett have told NME.COM.

Confirming the record's full tracklisting, the band also announced that the likes of Lou Reed, Mos Def, Mark E Smith, Snoop Dogg, Bobby Womack, De La Soul and Super Furry Animals' Gruff Rhys, while The Clash duo Mick Jones and Paul Simonon reunite on the title track.

"Leeching is the wrong word now isn't it?" the band's 'frontman Murdoc Niccals told NME.COM of the guest stars. "It's not like I've drawn blood or anything. No, I think the word 'coerced' sings the deal a little better. Although, yes, the coercion did come via chloroform and rohypnol."

See this week's issue of NME – on UK newsstands now – for an exclusive comeback interview with Gorillaz.

As with the band's previous releases, the album boasts a back story, which this time sees "the band have taken up residence, recording on a secret floating island deep in the South Pacific, a Plastic Beach HQ, made up of the detritus, debris and washed up remnants of humanity. This Plastic Beach is the furthest point from any landmass on Earth; the most deserted spot on the planet".

'Plastic Beach' has the following tracklisting.

'Orchestral Intro'
'Welcome To The World Of The Plastic Beach' (feat. Snoop Dogg)
'White Flag (feat. Kano & Bashy)
'Rhinestone Eyes'
'Stylo' (feat. Bobby Womack and Mos Def)
'Superfast Jellyfish' (feat. Gruff Rhys and De La Soul)
'Empire Ants' (feat. Little Dragon)
'Glitter Freeze' (feat. Mark E Smith)
'Some Kind Of Nature' (feat. Lou Reed)
'On Melancholy Hill'
'Broken'
'Sweepstakes' (feat. Mos Def & Hypnotic Brass Ensemble)
'Plastic Beach' (feat. Mick Jones & Paul Simonon)
'To Binge' (feat. Little Dragon)
'Cloud Of Unknowing' (feat. Bobby Womack)
'Pirate Jet'

Stylo will be the first single released on Jan. 26 (My b-day :D )
bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
8/28/98- Camden, NJ
10/31/09- Philly
5/21/10- NYC
9/2/12- Philly, PA
7/19/13- Wrigley
10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
10/21/13- Philly, PA
10/22/13- Philly, PA
10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    I can't wait for this!
  • If you preorder the album on iTunes you can get Stylo now. I listened to the preview and have to say it sounds absolutely amazing.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,322
    Awesome - I have a feeling this could even top Demon Days
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    i've heard that the album has leaked. anyone taken a listen to plastic beach yet? what are the early thoughts on the disc???
  • moses-imoses-i Posts: 138
    i been waiting with baited breath for this record...I am a huge damon albarn fan and he has once again come through. AMAZING RECORD! This is nothing like you've ever heard. Best album of the year for sure...the Lou Reed, Womack and Little Dragon combos are enough to make it a classic.
    if jah is the ship, we smile at the storm.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • are these guys good? I have only heard the singles off the first 2 records, and nothing else.
  • im fascinated by the whole virtual band thing. anyone ever seen them in concert? The band in human form never is seen right? Its i guess, them backstage singing, and then animation of them on screen, right?
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    May 30th wrote:
    i've heard that the album has leaked. anyone taken a listen to plastic beach yet? what are the early thoughts on the disc???

It has? sweet i'll have to find it. :D Probably has since it's coming out next week and probably sooner in other countries.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    New Gorillaz video for "Stylo" :D Pretty bad ass. and yes album is out also, pretty decent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9vAOzYz-Qs
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    New Gorillaz video for "Stylo" :D Pretty bad ass. and yes album is out also, pretty decent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9vAOzYz-Qs

Saw the video earlier. Bad Ass indeed.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

• super-first impression from just hearing snippets: ehhh

real first impression after first full listen: great

after 3-4 listens: i'm loving it. It's at the same time more and less accessible than the past albums. There's not really any one song that stands out as something that's going to be hugely popular, a la feel good inc, etc. But, the entire album just sounds great. really interesting blending of the futuristic/electronic production with the theme of what that futurism actually does to the environment/world/interactions and relationships. cant say best of the year, but very enjoyable
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    I listened to much of it last night on npr... It is cool, but was wierd and different.

I'll need a few more listens before i can form an opinion
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    "Empire Ants" and "To Binge" are perfect.
  • BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    about to hear it for the first time. stylo is awesome though.
    super-first impression from just hearing snippets: ehhh

real first impression after first full listen: great

after 3-4 listens: i'm loving it. It's at the same time more and less accessible than the past albums. There's not really any one song that stands out as something that's going to be hugely popular, a la feel good inc, etc. But, the entire album just sounds great. really interesting blending of the futuristic/electronic production with the theme of what that futurism actually does to the environment/world/interactions and relationships. cant say best of the year, but very enjoyable

I'm on my 4th listen through, and it's gotten better each time. Really a great album. In a time where the single usually dominates, this one definitely needs to be listened to as a full album.

• EquallyWorthlessEquallyWorthless Posts: 3,993
    edited March 2010
    only one listen but its awesome, welcome to the world of plastic beach and white flag are the only down points really, from then on it is amazing.
    Post edited by EquallyWorthless on
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
    I listened to it again today, i'm digging it. I like teh Song "Superfast Jelly Fish"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4UtbrbsrjY
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Eddy Grant claims Gorillaz' 'Stylo' copies his song
    Eddy Grant said he is consulting lawyers after claiming there are substantive similarities between Gorillaz' recent single 'Stylo' and his 1983 song 'Time Warp'.

Speaking to NME.COM, Grant said he feels the keyboard section on his song is the same as the recent release from Damon Albarn and co, and even suggested that the track's creators were aware of the clash.

"Damon Albarn knows in his heart of hearts – it's unfortunate that we cant get into people's hearts – he knows that this is a song that he's loved, in his club days…I don't know the guy…but he knows this is a song he loves," he claimed, although he admitted that he had never met Albarn and had not realised the Blur man was behind Gorillaz until recently.

Ironically, Grant explained that both he and Gorillaz/Albarn share the same publishing company, EMI, and was critical that they had not highlighted the issue to him before the new song's release.

"It has to go back to the beginning, where it should have started with a phone call from Damon to my publisher. My publisher would have contacted me – the publisher being of course the same EMI that looks after his [music]," he explained.

Grant suggested EMI have consulted a musicologist to compare the two tracks before he had been made aware of 'Stylo''s existence.

"In a properly configured relationship I would have gotten a call from EMI to say, 'Damon wants to use 'Time Warp'. What arrangement can you guys come to? Would you claim 100 per cent, would you claim 60 per cent, or 70 per cent of whatever it is?'," he suggested.

"That phone call never came. Instead what happened is somebody went straight to a musicologist, implying that there was some kind of pre-knowledge of some kind of infringement."

A spokesperson for EMI Publishing told NME.COM: "This is a private matter between Eddy Grant and Gorillaz, and we're not intending to make any further comment."

Here's Eddy Grant's song for "Time Warp"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHx3E_mea4U
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    I just dont get this at all...utter crap to me
    Eddy Grant claims Gorillaz' 'Stylo' copies his song
    Eddy Grant said he is consulting lawyers after claiming there are substantive similarities between Gorillaz' recent single 'Stylo' and his 1983 song 'Time Warp'.

Speaking to NME.COM, Grant said he feels the keyboard section on his song is the same as the recent release from Damon Albarn and co, and even suggested that the track's creators were aware of the clash.

"Damon Albarn knows in his heart of hearts – it's unfortunate that we cant get into people's hearts – he knows that this is a song that he's loved, in his club days…I don't know the guy…but he knows this is a song he loves," he claimed, although he admitted that he had never met Albarn and had not realised the Blur man was behind Gorillaz until recently.

Ironically, Grant explained that both he and Gorillaz/Albarn share the same publishing company, EMI, and was critical that they had not highlighted the issue to him before the new song's release.

"It has to go back to the beginning, where it should have started with a phone call from Damon to my publisher. My publisher would have contacted me – the publisher being of course the same EMI that looks after his [music]," he explained.

Grant suggested EMI have consulted a musicologist to compare the two tracks before he had been made aware of 'Stylo''s existence.

"In a properly configured relationship I would have gotten a call from EMI to say, 'Damon wants to use 'Time Warp'. What arrangement can you guys come to? Would you claim 100 per cent, would you claim 60 per cent, or 70 per cent of whatever it is?'," he suggested.

"That phone call never came. Instead what happened is somebody went straight to a musicologist, implying that there was some kind of pre-knowledge of some kind of infringement."

A spokesperson for EMI Publishing told NME.COM: "This is a private matter between Eddy Grant and Gorillaz, and we're not intending to make any further comment."

Here's Eddy Grant's song for "Time Warp"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHx3E_mea4U

Huh. Who knew Eddy Grant did something besides Electric Avenue...

• This is the best part

"I don't know the guy…but he knows this is a song he loves," he claimed, although he admitted that he had never met Albarn and had not realised the Blur man was behind Gorillaz until recently."

:? :roll:
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • same 3 chords but its a a pretty redundant melody, I just dont see it.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
    Gorillaz touring band:

Mike Smith - Keyboards
    Jesse Hackett - Keyboards
    Paul Simonon - Bass
    Cass Browne - Drums
    Damon Albarn - Guitar, Piano, Vocals
    Gabriel Wallace - Drums
    Geoff Wotton - Guitar
    Mick Jones - Rhythm Guitar

Not bad, you got two ex-Clash members in your band!

• chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Got tickets this morning to see them next month ... excited :mrgreen:
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • CorsoCorso so poor I can't afford to comment on the PJ forum Posts: 201
    This is the first album I have purchased by Gorillaz and I say indeed it is good. My brother always had an appreciation for Gorillaz so I gave it to him for a bit to listen to and he likes it. Tonight I get it back.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,322
    Good album. Not quite as good as Demon Days, but I'm happy with it. Some Kind of Nature w/ Lou Reed - that's gotta be my favorite.
    Live stream of their show tonight (in london)

http://gorillaz.com/

9pm GMT, which I think is 1pm PST for me.

• are they done with the whole virtual band thing? From what i have read until recently they didnt even appear as real people at live gorillaz shows. they would be in the back behind a curtain maybe, and they would have a screen projecting the cartoon images of the band. just in the last couple weeks the band played coachella in human form, and of course the colbert show performance they did the same.

is the days of the cartoon gorillaz over?
    Yeah, i think they are beyond it as far as a live show goes. Marketing wise, I think they stay with the virtual band.

According to this article here:

http://www.pollstar.com/blogs/news/arch ... 20723.aspx

It was too difficult to pull of live.