Haiti Brings Out The Worst In America's Worst

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Is Rush any different than Al Sharpton? Both are blowhard windbags. Same thing really. Both parties have their a-holes. There is no point getting worked up about it.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Commy wrote:
    The US does help, sure, but its a pr move if anything, doesn't mean we're right in invading countries.

Then I proposed the US not send any money or aid. Since it's always just for pr.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    Commy wrote:
    The US does help, sure, but its a pr move if anything, doesn't mean we're right in invading countries.

Then I proposed the US not send any money or aid. Since it's always just for pr.

the US does some good, by default, its almost a byproduct. i'm all for it when it happens.
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Commy wrote:

You may propose that but it'll never happen, we have too much guilt to be had pr move or not. We seem to be too comfortable destroying then try to rebuild these countries. I do foresee this earthquake is going to be far more devastating than we can ever imagine.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    JB811 wrote:
    Is Rush any different than Al Sharpton? Both are blowhard windbags. Same thing really. Both parties have their a-holes. There is no point getting worked up about it.

sharpton does not have his own radio program that is on 600 plus radio stations and sharpton does not manipulate news and twist it to blame the president of the US for all things wrong in the world. so i would say yes they are different. i do not agree with everything sharpton says, but at least he is a minister and is fighting causes for people that can't fight for themselves, and in my opinion more often than not he fights the good fight and i think his heart is in the right place..
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    JB811 wrote:
    I believe Sharpton is an idiot. I believe Rush is an idiot. I think Rush is GENERALLY more dangerous, though Sharpton has fucked up (Duke Lacrosse comes to mind..)

I find Robertson the most disturbing out of all of this though. And that people listen to him.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Commy wrote:

Limbaugh: 'We've Already Donated To Haiti, It's Called US Income Tax' (VIDEO)

Seems like Rush is on that same path of not donating to Haiti Relief.
    Well, it didn't take long for conservative firebrand Rush Limbaugh to use the crisis in Haiti to attack President Obama politically. On his radio show yesterday Limbaugh said the earthquake in Haiti will play right into Obama's hands by allowing him to play up his "compassionate" and "humanitarian" credentials, and that the President will use this crisis to "boost his credibility with the black community."

As if that weren't enough, Limbaugh also pivoted off a caller who complained about Obama directing the public to the White House website to find charitable organizations operating in Haiti to promote a conspiracy theory that finding these charities via the White House website puts your money at risk of not reaching Haitians.

Limbaugh also seems to feel we've done enough already for Haiti: "We've already donated to Haiti. It's called the U.S. income tax."

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

oh OF COURSE!!! the comments were taken out of context.....now i feel a little better about these guys :roll: :roll:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/31502

Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh and televangelist Pat Robertson are being scolded for their comments in the immediate aftermath of an earthquake in Haiti that has killed tens of thousands, according to early estimates.

Critics from both the left and right are denouncing their remarks as insensitive to the disaster and attempts to score political points off human tragedy.

Speaking on his radio show Wednesday, Limbaugh said the earthquake has played into Obama’s hands, allowing the president to look “compassionate” and “humanitarian” while at the same time bolstering his standing in both the “light-skinned and dark-skinned black community in this country.”

He added: “We've already donated to Haiti. It’s called the U.S. income tax.”

Limbaugh’s comments were, in part, a riff on Sen. Harry Reid’s (D-Nev.) much publicized remark in a new book that Obama was able to win the election because he is “light-skinned” and lacks a “Negro dialect.”

But regardless of the intended context, Limbaugh’s comments have been widely panned.

“They are deeply insensitive,” said conservative commentator Pat Buchanan on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.”

“The president speaks for the country when he says we’re going to go in there,” he said. “You want your whole nation, and it’s very positive. And I think Rush’s comments were cynical.”

Sitting next to Buchanan on set, host Joe Scarborough called Limbaugh’s comments “deplorable.”

“The insensitivity is stunning,” said the former Republican congressman.

Liberal commentators also quickly jumped on Limbaugh.

“Limbaugh did not know when to just shut up,” said liberal commentator Keith Olbermann on his MSNBC show “Countdown.” “Today he blamed communism for the poverty of Haiti, blamed President Obama for holding a news conference the day after this cataclysm when he did not hold one after the failed half-assed terror attempt in Detroit.”

John Amato from the left-leaning website Crooks and Liars added that “with thousands of people dead already and as the suffering continues in Haiti, Limbaugh and his ilk only care about one thing: destroying Obama.”

The conservative media watchdog site Newsbusters stepped up to defend Limbaugh, saying his comments were not put in proper context, but very few others are backing the conservative firebrand’s latest controversial remarks.

While Limbaugh received a modicum of support, nobody of note has stepped up to defend Robertson’s claim that Haiti got hit by an earthquake because it is “cursed.”

Speaking about the disaster during his program “The 700 Club” on the Christian Broadcasting Network, Robertson said that when Haiti was still a French colony its leaders “swore a pact to the devil” to get out from “under the heel of the French.”

“They said, ‘we will serve you if you will get us free from the French.’ True story. And so, the devil said, ‘OK, it’s a deal,’” Robertson claimed, as was recorded and sent around by the liberal group Media Matters.

“But ever since they have been cursed by one thing after the other,” he continued. “That island of Hispaniola is one island. It is cut down the middle on the one side is Haiti the other is the Dominican Republic. Dominican Republic is prosperous, healthy, full of resorts, etc. Haiti is in desperate poverty.”

Robertson, who has a long history of making controversial remarks on his program, urged his followers to pray for the residents of Haiti and said that “out of this tragedy I’m optimistic something good may come.”

Speaking on ABC’s “Good Morning America,” White House adviser Valerie Jarrett said Thursday morning she was left “speechless” by Robertson’s remarks.

“That's not the attitude that expresses the spirit of the president or the American people, so I thought it was a pretty stunning comment to make,” she said.

A statement from Robertson’s spokesman Chris Roslan tried to downplay the “cursed” remark.

“Dr. Robertson never stated that the earthquake was God’s wrath,” the statement read. “If you watch the entire video segment, Dr. Robertson’s compassion for the people of Haiti is clear. He called for prayer for them. His humanitarian arm has been working to help thousands of people in Haiti over the last year, and they are currently launching a major relief and recovery effort to help the victims of this disaster.”
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• there's no surprises here. the Republican brain works backwards.

So now these guys speak for all republicans huh?

I'll remember that the next time some lefty but job says something kooky that they are speaking for you.
    gosh. you're edgy today cincy. i really should rephrase that to say some Republicans brains work backwards.

I'm sorry that you are whining and crying just because something I said upset your little tummy. i hope you feel better now i've rephrased.

friends again?
  • g under p wrote:
    Commy wrote:

Limbaugh: 'We've Already Donated To Haiti, It's Called US Income Tax' (VIDEO)

Seems like Rush is on that same path of not donating to Haiti Relief.
    Well, it didn't take long for conservative firebrand Rush Limbaugh to use the crisis in Haiti to attack President Obama politically. On his radio show yesterday Limbaugh said the earthquake in Haiti will play right into Obama's hands by allowing him to play up his "compassionate" and "humanitarian" credentials, and that the President will use this crisis to "boost his credibility with the black community."

As if that weren't enough, Limbaugh also pivoted off a caller who complained about Obama directing the public to the White House website to find charitable organizations operating in Haiti to promote a conspiracy theory that finding these charities via the White House website puts your money at risk of not reaching Haitians.

Limbaugh also seems to feel we've done enough already for Haiti: "We've already donated to Haiti. It's called the U.S. income tax."

Peace
    1. i agree with Commy
    2. disagree with Cincy
    3. still hold the belief that Limbaugh is a disgraceful human being
    4. my heart goes out to the people in Haiti. we should offer them whatever support/assistance we can
  • lobb152lobb152 Posts: 193
    MB do you have a backward thinking brain like Rush. You must if you are trying to defend him. Wow.
    I am a nothing dreaming of something unknown.
  • Crazy old goats.
  • It's not even worth getting angry at these idiots... If anything I feel sorry for the people who listen to them as if they were anything but entertainment,.. But life is too short to waste my time worrying about the bullshit that these assholes are shoveling towards their flocks.

People don't listen to guys like this for information, but for affirmation. Anyone with a somewhat open mind who hears the dribble that comes out of their mouths realizes that it's mostly crap, but those who already think along their lines gobble it right up.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    but at least he is a minister and is fighting causes for people that can't fight for themselves, and in my opinion more often than not he fights the good fight and i think his heart is in the right place..

Oh please, spare me.
    hippiemom = goodness
    It's not even worth getting angry at these idiots... If anything I feel sorry for the people who listen to them as if they were anything but entertainment,.. But life is too short to waste my time worrying about the bullshit that these assholes are shoveling towards their flocks.

People don't listen to guys like this for information, but for affirmation. Anyone with a somewhat open mind who hears the dribble that comes out of their mouths realizes that it's mostly crap, but those who already think along their lines gobble it right up.

Well said.
    hippiemom = goodness
    but at least he is a minister and is fighting causes for people that can't fight for themselves, and in my opinion more often than not he fights the good fight and i think his heart is in the right place..

Oh please, spare me.
    ugh, spare you what? my opinion? i don't say that to you when you post your opinion on here. you made no attempt to present your side, or refute it. you just dismissed mine....

i think sharpton is a righteous man. a little misguided at times yes, but i think he has his heart in the right place more often than not. that is a lot more than i can say for robertson or the voice of your party limbaugh...

if given the choice of who i would listen to or follow of the three choices, it would be sharpton for sure...

i think sharpton is a righteous man. /quote]

He's an ass the same as Rush.
    hippiemom = goodness

if given the choice of who i would listen to or follow of the three choices, it would be sharpton for sure...

Guess what? You could not listen or follow ANY of those idiots...how about that?

Seriously, why do people always try to say how much better the dumb ass idiot that's on their "side" than the dumb ass idiot that's on the "other side"?
    hippiemom = goodness

Guess what? You could not listen or follow ANY of those idiots...how about that?

Seriously, why do people always try to say how much better the dumb ass idiot that's on their "side" than the dumb ass idiot that's on the "other side"?
    dunno, you tell me. what is your theory?

same shit you did years ago defending bush and his wars.

dunno, you tell me. what is your theory?

same shit you did years ago defending bush and his wars.

Not even close.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • BhagavadGitaBhagavadGita Posts: 1,748
    I think Pat forgot to take his anti-psychotic and Rush, well, he's just pissed off at everything because deep down inside, he knows he's just a fatty with a big mouth..
    and it continues...rush makes an even bigger ass of himself, if that is even possible.....he resorts to name-calling when taken to task by a caller...of course he would...and we are the ones that are "close minded", "bigots", and "ill-informed"... :roll: typical right wing talkshow host defense....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/201001 ... tico/31539

Rush 'meant' what he said about Haiti

Rush Limbaugh is not backing down from his claim that President Barack Obama is trying to score political points off the earthquake in Haiti.

Challenged by a caller during his show Thursday, Limbaugh said: “If I said it, I meant to say it, and I do believe that everything is political to this president.”

“Everything this president sees is a political opportunity, including Haiti, and he will use it to burnish his credentials with minorities in this country and around the world, and to accuse Republicans of having no compassion,” Limbaugh said in comments flagged by the liberal blog Think Progress.

Limbaugh has come under fire from both the right and the left for saying that the earthquake played directly into Obama’s hands, allowing him to look “compassionate.” The host claimed the White House’s response would bolster Obama’s standing in the “light-skinned and dark-skinned black community in this country.”

He also appeared to discourage help for the island nation, saying, “We've already donated to Haiti. It’s called the U.S. income tax.”

Critics have characterized Limbaugh’s comments as insensitive and tone-deaf at a time when heartbreaking images of the devastation dominate news coverage.

Confronted with some of that criticism, Limbaugh slammed a caller as “close-minded.”

“What I’m illustrating here is that you’re a blockhead,” Limbaugh shot back. “What I’m illustrating here is that you’re a close-minded bigot who is ill-informed.”

“If you had listened to this program for a modicum of time, you would know it,” he said. “But instead, you’re a blockhead. Your mind is totally closed. You have tampons in your ears. Nothing is getting through other than the biased crap that you read.”

• normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    “What I’m illustrating here is that you’re a close-minded bigot who is ill-informed.”

being an expert on that rush, you would know best

i think rush is back on the hillbilly heroin
  • Upon seeing the title of this thread, 'Haiti Brings Out The Worst In America's Worst', I was expecting to see that Rush & Pat were called out, as they should be. However, I was sort of hoping to see some of the other Worst mentioned... ya' know, people like Danny Glover and Ted Rall. I"m just sayin'.
    Last Philly Spectrum Show - Halloween 2009
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Montreal 2011
    Missoula 2012
    Seattle 2013
    Denver 2014
    Central Park NYC 2015
    Sunrise 2016
    Wrigley 2 2016
    Seattle 1 2018
    ~~~~~~~
    EV NYC 2 2011
    RNDM NYC 2012
    TOTD SF 2016

Highlights Of Last Spectrum Show
    Mike DESTROYING in Seattle 2013

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - HST

Instagram (great concert shots of many bands):  concertaholic
  • Well, I don't know about global warming causing earthquakes. I know the reasons that some people say it does, but I don't know enough about it to have an opinion either way.

But it seems obvious that poverty and the resulting shoddy building practices/construction is an enormous factor in the death toll. I can't imagine any historians disagreeing with our (U.S.) role in that situation. On the one hand, Rall isn't wrong in acknowledging or writing about our role - it was significant. But on the other hand he'd be over-simplifying the situation if he's putting ALL the blame on U.S. shoulders. The French share quite a bit of blame, also, as do Haitian leaders - and not just the ones who had U.S. backing. Their government was corrupt long before we became involved.

This article seems like a pretty good overview of the many different factors:

http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti/ ... hypoor.htm
  • Well, I don't know about global warming causing earthquakes. I know the reasons that some people say it does, but I don't know enough about it to have an opinion either way...
    Does one really need to have an opinion either way to see the folly of Danny Glover being the mirror of Pat Robertson on this?
    ...Rall isn't wrong in acknowledging or writing about our role - it was significant...
    Look, we could debate that back and forth for several pages, but people could do the same about Rush's comments. I think he's an idiot, but then again I often think that about shills on both sides of the aisle. But that's always been an issue of mine with him, just as often feel it with Rall. The transgression, as I see it, is trying to make cheap political points hours into the tragedy. And I think Rall is just as guilty as Rush. Heck... even Jon Stewart was calling Rachel Maddow on the same crap last night after he lit up Robertson and Rush. It just ain't the time for this asinine kind of behavior.
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Montreal 2011
    Missoula 2012
    Seattle 2013
    Denver 2014
    Central Park NYC 2015
    Sunrise 2016
    Wrigley 2 2016
    Seattle 1 2018
    ~~~~~~~
    EV NYC 2 2011
    RNDM NYC 2012
    TOTD SF 2016

Highlights Of Last Spectrum Show
    Mike DESTROYING in Seattle 2013

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - HST

Instagram (great concert shots of many bands):  concertaholic
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Keith Olbermann's Quick Comment about Haiti, Pat Robertson and Rush Limbaugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-PEaWUduCM
  • Commy wrote:
    "they deserve it" is new.

a way to cop out of sending aid.

usually they send aid and tell everyone about so they can say, "see, we help other people". when we usually bomb them and kill their wives and murder their sons and burn down their villages.

:wtf: Are you serious man. You think this is a pr move? :o :roll: :crazy: We are always the first on the scene and we are the ones who always give the most. Whether it be from our Gov giving money or from private donations we always give no matter what. Not to mention the shape our economy is in right now. You have every right to have your own opinon when it comes to
    war. I disagree with you but so what. But to say this is just a P.R. move is an insult to every american tha t has donated money. Especially if they couldn't afford it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100115/ap_ ... thquake_80

You mean to tell me china can't do better than this ?
    http://www1.voanews.com/english/news/as ... 65187.html

$ 1 million from the red cross and 60 people. That's pretty sad.
  • Well, I don't know about global warming causing earthquakes. I know the reasons that some people say it does, but I don't know enough about it to have an opinion either way...
    Does one really need to have an opinion either way to see the folly of Danny Glover being the mirror of Pat Robertson on this?

Umm.. yes, actually, one does. Because if it is in fact true that global warming increases the frequency of earthquakes then it's reasonable to say after a large earthquake that we need to focus on the threat of global warming. And, if it is in fact true, than there is no comparison to what Robertson said, at all.

So, yeah, I actually like to have facts and an understanding of the issue before spouting off.

Umm.. yes, actually, one does. Because if it is in fact true that global warming increases the frequency of earthquakes then it's reasonable to say after a large earthquake that we need to focus on the threat of global warming. And, if it is in fact true, than there is no comparison to what Robertson said, at all.

So, yeah, I actually like to have facts and an understanding of the issue before spouting off.
    Come on... he said, "When we do what we did in the Climate Summit... in Copenhagen, this is the response. This is what happens." This is no different, IMO, than what Robertson did when suggesting it was because the Haitians sold their souls to the Devil. Even if we were to embrace this nascent and completely unproven hypothesis put forth by Glover, he is engaging in the blame game and scapegoating at its worst.
    MSG 1 & 2 2010
    Montreal 2011
    Missoula 2012
    Seattle 2013
    Denver 2014
    Central Park NYC 2015
    Sunrise 2016
    Wrigley 2 2016
    Seattle 1 2018
    ~~~~~~~
    EV NYC 2 2011