Options

Arcade Fire

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited December 2013 in Other Music
Probably the album and tour I am looking forward to most in 2010. Another thread hinted that they were the 2nd best band of the decade behind radiohead, and I agree.
Funeral of course is a bonafide classic. Neon Bible, is almost flawless.
I am looking forward to album 3. Will it be uplifting like Funeral, or more haunting and sad like Neon Bible.
Either way you can bet I am seeing these guys whenever the tour is announced in 2010. I will do whatever it takes.
Best live band on the planet, quite possibly the most important band in music right now.
These guys from Montreal know whats up, and they know whats going on.
I am curious as to if they will be playing only stadiums now, if they are big enough to do that, or if they will still be playing medium sized venues like the last tour.

Easily 2 of the most celebrated and loved albums of the last ten or even 20 years, would be Funeral and Neon Bible
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Their performance on ACL was incredible, I'd love to see them live!
    This is not for you...
    Speaking as a child of the nineties
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    I actually consider Neon Bible to be the best album of the decade. I think it is more solid all the way through than Funeral, although Funeral is easily in my top 5 for the decade. They're both better albums than anything Radiohead has put out during the same time period (and I love Radiohead). One of the remarkable things about Arcade Fire is that they can play live shows of any size and the beauty never gets lost. I've seen them play to less than 1000, and I've seen them play to 40,000. Always spectacular and memorable.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I wish I liked more of their music. They look awesome live.

Surely not big enough for arenas yet though, right?
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    DewieCox wrote:

But they're the 2nd most important band of the decade ;)

The Arcade Fire is just another indie band with a gimmick IMO and they've played many an Arena already.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    DewieCox wrote:

They played the Shoreline Ampitheater and sold it out. Amazing show. Also have headlined Coachella and played to 40,000-50,000 people.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    boroff89 wrote:
    I actually consider Neon Bible to be the best album of the decade. I think it is more solid all the way through than Funeral, although Funeral is easily in my top 5 for the decade. They're both better albums than anything Radiohead has put out during the same time period (and I love Radiohead). One of the remarkable things about Arcade Fire is that they can play live shows of any size and the beauty never gets lost. I've seen them play to less than 1000, and I've seen them play to 40,000. Always spectacular and memorable.

I agree, Neon Bible is an incredible album, probably my favorite of the last ten years. TREMENDOUS live band too, seen them in small venues (Webster Hall NYC) and large festivals and they consistently bring unbelievable energy.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,849
    When I first heard of them (maybe 5 years ago?) i remember seeing one of their videos on tv (i think one of teh neighborhood songs). I didn't care for it too much at the time and some of the other songs were ok but never got into them until Neon Bible came out and I heard Keep The Car Running and i dug it a lot. Bought the album and dug it decided to get funeral also. I liked it but still I like neon bible more.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    pjfan021pjfan021 Posts: 684
    i dig the band, never seen them live, but think it's ridiculous at calling them the best band of the decade. i think the 2 (yes only 2) albums they put out this decade are good but they still haven't hit what i think they could. no offense to the die hards but i still hear too much of a bowie imitation in some of their music and win butler stil comes off as a little too pretentious for me. i will give their new record a spin though.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

But they're the 2nd most important band of the decade ;)

The Arcade Fire is just another indie band with a gimmick IMO and they've played many an Arena already.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I respect that, but could you please enlighten me on this "gimmick" you speak of? I mean they don't wear matching clothes, masks, etc.

Unless it's the fact that everyone can pretty much play any instrument and play it well...
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    boroff89 wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

They played the Shoreline Ampitheater and sold it out. Amazing show. Also have headlined Coachella and played to 40,000-50,000 people.

For the record, they did not headline Coachella.

In 2005 they played the 2nd stage in the late afternoon.

In 2007 they played the main stage before the Chili Peppers.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Interesting to see all the love for Neon Bible. At another forum that I post at people usually call it disappointing in comparison to Funeral. I agree with you guys though; both are great.
  • Options
    Funeral has Wake Up
    Neon Bible has Ocean of Noise.

Both are untouchable for completely different reasons. Aracde Fire are a rare talent. Can't wait either.
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,613
    Will it be uplifting like Funeral, or more haunting and sad like Neon Bible.

I am curious as to if they will be playing only stadiums now, if they are big enough to do that, or if they will still be playing medium sized venues like the last tour.

i must have a different copy of funeral than you do.

i'm sure they will be playing smaller venues, and maybe some amphitheatres at the most. either way i can't wait for the tour.
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,613
    i figure i'll throw my two cents in about the albums as well. neon bible is a great album. funeral is a masterpiece and one of the great albums of all time. just my opinion. i give funeral a 6/5 and i give neon bible a 4.25/5
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,505
    rolling stone said david bowie handed out their album to all of his friends.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    pjfan021pjfan021 Posts: 684

and bruce is a big fan of their work...wayne coyne from the flaming lips said they're assholes when they toured with them...no offense to you at all, i just think that they still immitate a little more than emulate and they're better than what they've put out. Vocally i think that he's kinda of annoying SOMETIMES and sounds like he's tryin to sound like bowie...i think they're talented musicians but get a little too much credit for what they've done so far.
  • Options
    StarfallStarfall Posts: 548
    I'm a big fan as well. Loved Funeral - I used to play it for hours while driving San Francisco to Yosemite, chiming in with the choruses of Rebellion (Lies) and Neighborhood #3 (Power Out). Neon Bible I only found so-so though, but I thought it was a solid album.
    "It's not hard to own something. Or everything. You just have to know that it's yours, and then be willing to let it go." - Neil Gaiman, "Stardust"
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    I totally agree that one of the highlights for me in 2010 will be getting more music and seeing them again live.

Phenominal band!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Its funny, I didn't 'get' Funeral until I heard Neon Bible (much like I didn't 'get' OK Computer until I heard the Bends) but after that, I think those 2 are some of the best albums of the decade. Saw them open for U2, blew U2 off the stage.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    I must admit also it took me a very long time to get into Funeral. Back then, it sounded all so weird to me. I've never heard anything like that before. I absolutely love it now of course, though I still prefer Neon Bible. Wake Up has gotta be one of the best, if not the best song released by anyone this past decade.
  • Options
    MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    pjfan021 wrote:

and bruce is a big fan of their work...wayne coyne from the flaming lips said they're assholes when they toured with them...no offense to you at all, i just think that they still immitate a little more than emulate and they're better than what they've put out. Vocally i think that he's kinda of annoying SOMETIMES and sounds like he's tryin to sound like bowie...i think they're talented musicians but get a little too much credit for what they've done so far.

Two years ago, Win Butler and Bruce appeared together on the cover of Spin. How cool is that?? Bruce invited him and his wife onstage in Canada to play "Keep The Car Running", E Street Band style. I believe that bootleg video is still circulating around.
  • Options
    KevDylan wrote:
    Bruce invited him and his wife onstage in Canada to play "Keep The Car Running", E Street Band style. I believe that bootleg video is still circulating around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsukSiGcUng

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    a few more collabs ...

with U2 - Love will Tear Us Apart - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGQWnbfF ... re=related

with David Bowie - Wake Up - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-wEBmLht5g

with David Byrne - This Must Be The Place - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J-900xpiI0

• Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,505
    interesting about bruce and flaming lips. i didn't know that.

i for one don't really dig em, but to each their own.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,839
    Saw them play a small show literally the week before they became huge. I saw half of one live track on the TV beforehand - to me it seemed a mixture of Einsturzende Nuebuten and A Silver Mt Zion - I was hooked straight away.

2nd time I saw them was at the MEN in Manchester to 20,000 people!
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    i caught them a few months after funeral came out in a club that holds 800 people and then for neon bible in a theatre with 4,000 people. Their fan base grew pretty quick :)

What bothers me is i almost went and saw them right when funeral came out but i had not heard the album yet. They played at a tiny place that holds like 300 people tops. :( epic mistake missing that one
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,849
    Anyone hear this cover of "Wake Up" by the Roots & John Legend? pretty decent :thumbup:

http://soundcloud.com/somekindofawesome ... fire-cover

Live version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKXKJc5DmT4
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    i had downloaded their funeral album a while back and also wasnt into them. then i think on new years eve last year i was sicker than a dog laying on the couch and they were playing the ACL show on pbs. and between the robotussin and the music i was in heaven for that hour :D needless to say ive gotten all the other albums since and think theyre amazing.
  • Options
    they are a band like the dead who must be experienced live to fully get them. ive seen them twice, once in 2007 and the other time in september and they just put on a show that is second to none. ive never seen fans so into a band and the songs. there is nothing that rivals screaming the words to Wake up with not just the super fans, but with the whole stadium. 2 of the most cathartic experiences of my life.
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    Bring on the flames......but I find them boring as shit.