Options

A question for Seattle Jammers

Bird888Bird888 Posts: 99
edited January 2008 in The Porch
I will be making a trip to Seattle this summer with my 2 teenage sons . One wants to tour U of Washington as a possible college he may want to go to. Is the area around the U of W campus a good place to stay during our visit? Or are there other cool parts of town we may want to stay. Not looking for a real touristy area, hopefully a place that is convienent so we can get a feel for the U of W area.

Thanks all.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
slide in sideways, BBQ sandwich in one hand, cold beer in the other,
body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "Woo Hoo what a
ride" ! Unknown

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mensanemensane Posts: 912
    i dont think there are a lot of hotels in the U District. i wouldnt stay up there if you were wanting to see something other than the U. stay downtown.
  • Options
    I've stayed at the Watertown Hotel many times and I highly recommend it. It is a clean, well-run and affordable place. They have free continental breakfast, shuttles to various spots and free cookies at the front desk! It's centrally located and right near the University. Check out http://www.watertownseattle.com
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    the Sheraton downtown.

we have stayed there multiple times...really like it

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    This is 4 year memory based on 10 years of experience. The main street "The Ave" of the U-District is a pit. It is probably one of the dirtiest places in the city, and yet it's a magnet for students/homeless/intellectual snobs you name it.

That being said, if you just move east a few blocks then you are on the campus, and it is beautiful. A nice shopping mall over the hill to the east for those of us that appreciate nice malls. At night the Ave is vibrant, but somewhat off kilter. That Ave was always trying to rebuild it's financial center and constantly failing.

To answer your question, I'd stay off the Ave, and try to get closer to the main campus if possible. A lot of touristy books would probably say the Ave is the place to be, but it's not. Just go a little north to Ravenna, or south to Eastlake and it's just as neon-y, but not as chaotic.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    j gastonj gaston Seattle Posts: 25
    the Watertown is a good choice - easy walk to the U - or there's a newish Silver Cloud down by U Village: http://www.scinns.com/universi.htm and it's fun to go to Blue Sushi - http://www.bluecsushi.com/locations/u_village.shtml

The Ave isn't sooo bad - at least below 45th - don't be put off.

If it's a dark cold night, get dinner here
    http://www.aguaverde.com/
    good local joint.
    /Users/j2sue/Desktop/Boston 5:17:10.JPG
  • Options
    Actually the Ave is getting much nicer- not quite at the level it was in the 80s, but there are several shops that attract the teen girls ( urban outfitters & american apparel) and lots of places to eat. My daughters favorite place for bubble tea.

( I had to double check what message board I was on- I am a frequent visitor to College Confidential ;) )

The UW has good bus service to most parts of city & parking can be a PITA. I would stay either downtown- or one of the new hotels in the Ballard neighborhood which is west of UW- & take the bus down 45th or 50th.
    Ballard is next to Fremont & both neighborhoods have lots going on-Saturday and Sunday outdoor markets- etc

Its gonna be hard to get a sense of the UW in the summer though- the weather is dry and sunny- but when they will be attending school it will rain the entire time.- however it is a beautiful campus & a lot going on in the summer.

Oh hell just come here
    You must be the change you want to see in the world
    -Gandhi