Mark Lanegan

WoobynabWoobynab Posts: 50
edited December 2009 in Other Music
I just discovered the Gutter Twins album with Mark Lanegan and I love it. I know he has a history with The Screaming Trees and Queens of the Stone Age. Does anyone have any good Album suggestions featuring Lanegan? :P
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• QOTSA - Songs for the deaf

check out lanegan's discography here:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... fwxqe5ldde

also, check out them crooked vultures, lanegan isn't on the album but these guys are killer! josh homme, alain johannes, dave grohl, and john paul jones!
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    Woobynab wrote:
    I just discovered the Gutter Twins album with Mark Lanegan and I love it. I know he has a history with The Screaming Trees and Queens of the Stone Age. Does anyone have any good Album suggestions featuring Lanegan? :P

I always tell people to start with Whiskey for the Holy Ghost. That's the solo album I started with and I have been hooked on pretty much everything he does since. In all honestly though, you can't go wrong. The man has a pretty incredible body of work.
  • Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be sure to check them out. :P
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Whiskey for the holy ghost is a gem but Bubblegum is one of the 3 or 4 best records of the decade, it's a staggering collection of pure gloom and desperation. Like the QOTSA record is good and all but he's only there for a couple of tracks, if you already have the Gutter Twins get bubblegum for sure and another good one is teh Isobelle Campbell duets one Ballad of the Broken Seas. Lanegan is arguably the best voice in rock good show getting into him. His solo stuff is way different from the Screaming Trees stuff, the Trees stuff is good but it's more generic. That being said Dust is a solid record that kinda crosses the feel of his solo stuff and their earlier work.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • PJGARDEN wrote:
    Woobynab wrote:

I always tell people to start with Whiskey for the Holy Ghost. That's the solo album I started with and I have been hooked on pretty much everything he does since. In all honestly though, you can't go wrong. The man has a pretty incredible body of work.

Completely agree. Whiskey is the place to start - a true masterpiece (although I'm biased because I feel all his solo albums are terrific, not a thing wrong with any of them). If you want something more a bit more rock-tinged, I suggest starting the Screaming Trees venture with Sweet Oblivion, or maybe Dust. Both are easily accessible albums for those unfamiliar with is body of work. Invisible Lantern is actually one of my favorite Trees albums, but it's not as easy to get into. The Gutter Twins are a great start though! Man, I remember how awesome it was to backtrack Lanegan's work. You've found a hidden gem, my friend. To me he's got one of the best, most soulful voices out there. Only my opinion though. But please continue to seek him out! He's criminally underrated.

I also highly recommend the new Soulsavers album, Broken, for another starting ground. More of an electronica blend of several genres with Mark's voice carrying just about all of the album's tracks.
  • He was on Mad Season's "Long Gone Day." Him + Layne Staley = awesome.

Songs for the Deaf is one of my favorite albums but he shows up from time to time all throughout QOTSA's albums. "In the Fade" (from R) is one of my favorites. And "This Lullaby" (from Lullabies to Paralyze) is short but sweet.

Also check out "Four Corners" from the Mondo Generator album A Drug Problem that Never Existed.

He's also done some work with the Twilight Singers but I'm not as familiar with them.

Good catch discovering Lanegan. Everyone seems to really enjoy working with him and his voice is awesome.
  • shellerizm wrote:
    QOTSA - Songs for the deaf

also, check out them crooked vultures, lanegan isn't on the album but these guys are killer! josh homme, alain johannes, dave grohl, and john paul jones!

I thought I heard him on one of the Them Crooked Vultures tracks? I'll have to recheck.
    -one thing to remember, always have a good time, all the time
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484

I thought I heard him on one of the Them Crooked Vultures tracks? I'll have to recheck.

Its Alain Johannes on the TCV track.
  • Whiskey for the holy ghost
    Bubblegum
    Broken (Soulsavers)
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    welcome to Clan Lanegan... is Clanegan too cheesy? kinda like Jamily but thats not cool either~

anything lanegan has ever touched is good. i think there are more songs i dislike from PJ than there are lanegan songs i dislike!

Bubblegum is DEFINITELY something you should listen to

he has music with

The Gutter Twins - (Adorata and Saturnalia)
    Screaming Trees - (he was lead singer so all of them)
    Queens of the Stoneage - (rated R, SFTD and random songs to current)
    Soulsavers - (Broken and Its not how far you fall...)
    Twilight Singers (Blackberry Belle and A stitch in Time)
    Isobel Campbell - (Ballad of the broken seas and Sunday at devil dirt)
    Mad Season - (above)
    Desert Sessions - (random songs)
    Mark Lanegan Solo - (Bubblegum, Field Songs, Whiskey for the Holy Ghost, Here comes that weird chill, I'll Take Care of you, and The Winding Sheet)

i read somewhere that he is working on a new solo record

if you really like Mark Lanegan, you might want to check out Greg Dulli and his projects.
  • I also have some of the extra/b-side/outakes (whatever you want to call them) tracks from Bubblegum...since everyone seems to love that album here, and rightfully so - it's golden, was just listening to One Hundred Days today...ahhhh yea
  • skippybrew wrote:
    He was on Mad Season's "Long Gone Day." Him + Layne Staley = awesome.

yeah that.

get "Mad Season Live at the Moore." Get the video. It's ridiculous.
    "Find myself singing the same songs every day....
    ones that make me feel good when things behind the smile ain't ok...." -Hoon
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    I saw him playing with Soulsavers (as a support act before Depeche Mode) in Barcelona this week ...and they were terrible I am sorry...I mean I love Screaming Trees and Mark's contributions to Alice In Chains, Mad Season, QOTSA...and I was in heaven when I saw him on stage but it turned out to be a typically forgettable, mediocre, featureless, plain rock show I really dislike :roll: ...bad sound, weak music, no standout moment... :oops:
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    Mark Lanegan is awesome. Hands down one of my favourite musicians.

Great suggestions so far, also check out this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=117282
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • Ricsard wrote:
    I saw him playing with Soulsavers (as a support act before Depeche Mode) in Barcelona this week ...and they were terrible I am sorry...I mean I love Screaming Trees and Mark's contributions to Alice In Chains, Mad Season, QOTSA...and I was in heaven when I saw him on stage but it turned out to be a typically forgettable, mediocre, featureless, plain rock show I really dislike :roll: ...bad sound, weak music, no standout moment... :oops:

Wow. Sorry you didn't enjoy them. I saw them in DC back in September and it was easily one of the best shows I've seen. Lanegan's voice was spot on and the band was tight as hell. Listening to Revival live is surreal.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions PJ friends. I have lots of listening to do now. :mrgreen:
  • shellerizm wrote:
    QOTSA - Songs for the deaf

I think i enjoy his work on Rated R a bit more. Auto Pilot and In The Fade are two amazing QOTSA songs
    2006: Albany
    2008: MSG I, MSG II, Newark(EV)
    2009: Albany 1-2(EV), Philly 3
    2010: Boston, MSG I
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn II, Hartford
    2016: MSG 1, MSG II, Fenway 1
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    New Lanegan song, Nocturne, wonderful stuff..

https://youtu.be/yXdwuqB7pDQ
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
    I think this albums going to be one of his best..

Track: Beehive.

https://youtu.be/I7JCndWHBRg
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    Screaming trees are my zeppelin
    Solo mark lanegan is my solo plant

I love mark lanegan. 

Light my way
    Shyner said:
    Screaming trees are my zeppelin
    Solo mark lanegan is my solo plant

I love mark lanegan. 

Light my way
    I'd rather listen to solo Mark Lanegan over solo Robert Plant anyday..
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    Just bought field songs. 
    Dang love lanegan so much

Solo plant is good stuff 
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Really great interview between Joseph Arthur and Mark Lanegan here...
    https://youtu.be/MM4F5s8J3XU
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• petted101petted101 Posts: 188
    edited August 2019
    http://www.blackrebelmotorcycleclub.com/askian/i-was-there-as-a-midnight-watchman/

For some reason I get all my Mark Lanegan Band updates from the Black Rebel site.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384

No mention here yet of Blues Funeral from the Mark Lanegan Band, I love that album.   

Lanegan was friendly with Anthony Bourdain, and was featured on an episode of Parts Unknown, I recommend watching it. The final scene showing various people singing along w/ Lanegan's 'Some Strange Religion' is beautiful, but also a little eerie considering Bourdain is the only one not singing.

Regardless, congrats on discovering Lanegan, he's easily one of the most unique and greatest voices of our day.

Side note: I would pay a LOT to hear Soul Savers perform Revival live. That song is amazing, as is the video.

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

Side note: I would pay a LOT to hear Soul Savers perform Revival live. That song is amazing, as is the video.

I got to see Soul Savers live in 2009 and they played Revival. It was a fantastic show. Love that song. I recorded that show and still listen to it from time to time.

I'm a fan of all things Lanegan, whether solo, with Dulli in Gutter Twins, doing his Soul Savers stuff, QOTSA contributions, etc... Screaming Trees was my favorite Seattle band back in the day, and I got to see them play a few times in their heyday. Always interested in what Mark is up to. New solo album coming out in a couple of months, too!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    I recently attended a festival called Psycho Las Vegas.  Mark Lanegan was one of the artists there this year and the festival has posted his set on YouTube.  It was my 3rd Mark Lanegan show and I plan to see him again.  

You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com