*** Philadelphia 4 Fanviews Here 10/31/09 ***

Comments

• I am all about various opinions but the people complaining about the fucking crowds this week are just delusional elitists who just need to get there heads checked or just stop going to every single freaking show since they will never live up there unrealistic expectations.

I respectfully disagree. I drove from NY to Philly 3 times this week (missed Friday night) and was blown away each time by Pearl Jam's performance. The crowd, however, left much to be desired. I thought the vibe from the audience on Wed. night was considerably better than Tues. night, and I saw a good number of people tonight rocking out (mostly in the hardcore 10C areas ... front of floor and low 200s close to the stage), but if they were tearing down a historic arena in my hometown and Pearl Jam flew in for the last homestand, I would be going nuts with all my friends and neighbors the entire time. That just wasn't the case here.

But way more importantly, tonight was a fantastic show. I thought the band made the right call dusting off some more rarities but also playing some of the crowd-pleasers they'd gone through over the last 3 nights. I thought "Insignificance" and "Lowlight" were real standouts, and seeing "Jeremy" with the string section was pretty sweet. "Speed of Sound" sounded much better/tighter tonight than it did on Wed. And they thankfully saved "Amongst the Waves" for tonight ... what a fantastic song! I feel like that and "Unthought, Unknown" are going to stand the test of time and end up in the regular live rotation, even though they didn't pop off the album as immediate singles.

Thank you Spectrum for hosting this memorable week. Thank you 10C fans for riding high amongst the waves. Thank you Pearl Jam for a fantastic set of shows. See you in the Spring ... (?)
    Rise. Life is in motion. I'm stuck in line.
    Oh rise. You can't be neutral on a moving train.
  • pjampjam Posts: 101
    Another epic show. I must admit I was bummed about no guests showing up after all the rumers but the band played an amazing set. I've been to some of the best pj shows ever like Seattle 2000 and manfield 03 and MSG 03 plus many more and this run of shows beats them all. I'm all about the odd balls and this week was full of them. Can't wait till next tour!!!!!!!!
    09/13/98+08/29/00+11/05/00+11/06/00+12/08/02+
    12/09/02+06/01/03+06/02/03+06/03/03+06/05/03+
    06/06/03+06/07/03+07/02/03+07/03/03+07/08/03+
    07/09/03+07/11/03+07/14/03+09/28/04+09/29/04+
    10/01/04+10/08/04+10/03/05+05/13/06+05/24/06+
    05/25/06+ As many more as possible
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    about time they got around to Sweet Lew.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • pjam wrote:
    Another epic show. I must admit I was bummed about no guests showing up after all the rumers

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm then maybe the rumor about NO HAWAII isn't so??????
    "You can bomb the world to pieces but you can't bomb into peace"
    Michael Franti
  • wall05wall05 Posts: 304
    This show was INSANE!!!!

I really can't believe what i just witnessed!
    2008 - Camden, NJ 1
    2009 - Philadelphia, PA x4
    2010 - Newark, NJ, New York City, NY x2
    2012 - Philadelphia, PA
    2013 - Chicago, IL, Philadelphia, PA x2, Hartford, CT
    2016 - Philadelphia, PA x2, New York City, NY 2, Fenway 2
  • over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• I have got to say it EPIC can't say it any better.The last two nite were EPIC :D:D
  • Sweet fuckin' Lew.
  • jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    Amazing show !! Thanks PJ !!

No need for special guests or 5 hours, the show tonight was perfect !!!!!
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204
    i'm just gonna c+p what i wrote over on red mosquito:

After the main set the crowd sat down and barely clapped or cheered. the floor looked pathetic from my vantage point. it was disappointing. i understand people needing to sit down, but it's like the life was sucked out of the building for a few minutes. the show didn't pick back up until Jeremy, and really got going again from STBC and on.

this isn't the best pearl jam show ever or anything. it had many sloppy moments, the band seemed disorganized sometimes, and the first encore dragged. the boot should be an interesting listen. but it was a damn unique show and one that will be memorable one when all is said and done in PJ land. RITFW with the confetti and balloons was a great spectacle and awesome to be a part of. you won't see or feel that watching the set roll in on here or listening to the bootleg. here's hoping the dvd will convey some of it.

i can understand people being disappointed with the repeats. hell, i'd have loved to hear brain of j. but this show wouldn't have been as good without songs like corduoy, do the evolution, betterman and, hell, even flow. i'd be lying if i said i was hoping to not hear even flow, just because i want to know what a show is like without it. but those songs brought the show up in ways that sad, brain of j and the others left off just cannot do. the guy next to me was a first time pearl jam show-goer- he doesn't give two shits about sad, brain of j, bugs or out of my mind. i told him there were thousand of people in the arena who have been waiting for years to hear some of these songs. his experience would have been much different without corduroy, even flow, jeremy, yadda yadda. because the band gives so much to this fanbase, i sometimes forget that the band needs to cater to these type of fans, too, or the show will suffer for it.

i had a lot of fun at this show. maybe more than any show of theirs i've been to. i am so glad i came out for this one. i apologize to anyone around me who may have heard me singing or who i may have bumped into. but i was having a fucking blast and i couldn't help but show it.
  • another great show
    thank you!!!
    but i was in 312...my own fault for letting my membership expire 4 years ago
    but i had some good 10clubbers as company :lol:

i think they should strongly consider 10 club only shows
    i dont think the casual fans appreciate the brilliance of this band
    there were ppl actually sitting...and sleeping... thru the entire show...made me sick!

thanks for such a memorable week
    greatest band in the world
    i feel privileged
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    AndySlash wrote:
    i'm just gonna c+p what i wrote over on red mosquito:

After the main set the crowd sat down and barely clapped or cheered. the floor looked pathetic from my vantage point. it was disappointing. i understand people needing to sit down, but it's like the life was sucked out of the building for a few minutes. the show didn't pick back up until Jeremy, and really got going again from STBC and on.

this isn't the best pearl jam show ever or anything. it had many sloppy moments, the band seemed disorganized sometimes, and the first encore dragged. the boot should be an interesting listen. but it was a damn unique show and one that will be memorable one when all is said and done in PJ land. RITFW with the confetti and balloons was a great spectacle and awesome to be a part of. you won't see or feel that watching the set roll in on here or listening to the bootleg. here's hoping the dvd will convey some of it.

i can understand people being disappointed with the repeats. hell, i'd have loved to hear brain of j. but this show wouldn't have been as good without songs like corduoy, do the evolution, betterman and, hell, even flow. i'd be lying if i said i was hoping to not hear even flow, just because i want to know what a show is like without it. but those songs brought the show up in ways that sad, brain of j and the others left off just cannot do. the guy next to me was a first time pearl jam show-goer- he doesn't give two shits about sad, brain of j, bugs or out of my mind. i told him there were thousand of people in the arena who have been waiting for years to hear some of these songs. his experience would have been much different without corduroy, even flow, jeremy, yadda yadda. because the band gives so much to this fanbase, i sometimes forget that the band needs to cater to these type of fans, too, or the show will suffer for it.

i had a lot of fun at this show. maybe more than any show of theirs i've been to. i am so glad i came out for this one. i apologize to anyone around me who may have heard me singing or who i may have bumped into. but i was having a fucking blast and i couldn't help but show it.

Well put, I've always said that the band should aim to please the fans from row 1 to the last row of the building. Those songs are hits because they're good songs and they should be played often.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    I'm a driving machine.
    With daylight savings ending, i was home in NYC by 130 am .
    Extraordinary night, Simply Spectacular.
    Thank you Pearl Jam and thank you 10club for excellent seats every night of this run.

Thank you Philly for letting us bid farewell to that old building with our favorite band .

Please let rumours of 4 @ MSG turn out to be true.
    Cant get enough Pearl Jam .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • prezesprezes Posts: 33
    I'm so grateful for 'You Are' !!!
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Inside Job was pretty awesome also .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • WOW!! That setlist is fucking amazing i wish i was there!!!! :o
  • BrentFBrentF Posts: 21
    I can't believe that actually happened. I am from Philly, much respect to my new JAMILY from Austin Texas, Colorado, and Michigan. You all know how to truely rock. I could not drive for an hour after the show because I was so overwhelmed by what I experienced. All of you thinking about how this show was or wasn't in comparison or how the crowd was or wasn't, guess what.....U were paying attention to the wrong things.
    I FELT it! I felt how those early PJ fans felt back in 1992 when they had to mosh because they just could not control the feelings that moved them. I felt like that 22 yr old felt at his first PJ concert in the 8th row in 1998 in Camden NJ, shirt off, J- in hand, standing on the chairs, when PJ opened with release, except that feeling lasted from about 10pm till I could finally drive at 1:30am tonight.
    Oh and by the way....the reason the confetti took so long to drop to the floor is because all the heat coming off the CRAZY crowd on the floor was holding it up (hot air rises), so I think we were having a wonderful time. So nit pick away at the set list all you want.......I was there.....have been listening to PJ CDs especially the early boots since '92, singing PJ songs and Neil Young songs at the campfire with my friends when I was a teenager and the only question that I have at the end of this night is:
    "How did PJ make me feel like I had never truely heard them before until tonight?"
    Thank you, Eddie, Stone, Mike, Jeff, Matt, and Boom. May whatever divine energy connects and nurtures us all bless you and yours with health and prosperity. I will cherish your gift to me, and Philadelphia forever.
  • for the folks that weren't there, the crowd was very very good. just could have been better. i don't want anyone thinking it was completely dead in there. friday was better no doubt. but friday may have been one of the best crowds i have ever heard at any show ever.

this show was awesome and they sounded great - 41 fuckin songs! smile was amazing, crown of thorns...just insanity.
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Thank you Pearl Jam for blowing my mind yet again. Almost in a state of disbelief that I actually heard "Out of My Mind" , "Pilate ", "Rats", "Bugs" , "Crown of Thorns ", "Sweet Lew" , and "Whip-it" , in the same show. Like I will wake up and last night will be only a dream. I have only one request . PJ , if you are listening , please make the Devo hats the official PJ concert headwear .The glasses Ed wore were also quite the fashion statement.

Agree with Lukins Fridge about the crowd . A few too many PDA jockeys for my liking , but each to their own.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    My videos (from behind the stage, section 221)

Bad Religion w/ Eddie Vedder- Watch It Die
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHRv0prqX7U

Whip It
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lEB57SsbMM

Bugs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNQirvqDf7U

Why Go
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZlqCoZ47vI

Amongst The Waves
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hjeQoVYQn8

Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REe_Cg0cQXE

Out Of My Mind
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsRKfZi-LS0

Another Brick In The Wall (short clip)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwL_kcNyLZE

Kicking myself for not getting a t-shirt in the beginning thinking there still would be some left (the wrecking ball one and or the Phillie one). And my poster kinda got ruined :( Overall awesome show though and great way to close out the Spectrum!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • hinxhinx Posts: 414
    Unbelievable. There's no way anyone else could have given the Spectrum the send-off our boys gave it tonight. I'm still grinning. :D
  • thefin190thefin190 Posts: 918
    edited November 2009
    As someone who went to the Seattle shows, I am extremely envious of this set list. God I hope they would put on a show like this when the Key gets taken down!

Edit: After seeing the YouTube video of Glorified G, I am extremely jealous.
    Post edited by thefin190 on
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
  • this word gets thrown around but...

EPIC
    fucking epic. my body hurts, my life hurts...what a show...what a run...what a tour. i did 11 shows this year and tonight gave me such closure. i couldnt fucking move for the last half hour but i had this silly shit eating grin that probably won't go away for a few days.

thanks pearl jam...hope to see you when the clocks move forward and the birds come back.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • THE best show EVER! period. absolutely stained in my mind forever! unforgettable! these 4 shows were really incredible. this one was the grand daddy. pearl jam you never come short of amazing me. blew my mind tonight.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    This show was fucking crazy with all the songs out of left field, yet appropriate for it being Halloween night. Lots of regulars my wife and I hoped to hear like Why Go (odd that Jeff was the only one to come out in costume at the start of the show), Last Exit, Corduroy, and Severed Hand to star the show. Wasn't expecting You Are, but was happy to hear it and Amongst the Waves, a favorite of mine from Backspacer.

Didn't expect Pilate at all until hearing about the soundcheck, but it was a pleasant surprise to hear live. Was also caught off guard by Rats, I'm Open, and Out of my Mind.

Our song, Low Light, sounded great tonight as we danced together. I thought the string quartet were playing during that, but couldn't really hear them. My wife was disappointed Ed still didn't get Speed of Sound completely right, but I thought it still sounded great. Inside Job was another treat, but then what almost was the trick...

MOTHER FUCKIN' BUGS!!!!

Great fucking song to make everyone shit themselves. We were afraid that Ed was really gonna scrap the song before it even got going. At that point I think fans may have turned on the band if they didn't complete the attempt. As soon as Ed brought that accordian onstage he committed to something he had to finish, otherwise things might have got ugly.

Whip It was a lot of fun. I was glad they did something in costume together for Halloween, even if it was just for one song. Got Some was good. Then finally, I get to hear Crown of Thorns live, a song I kept missing by one show the past few years but had been dying to hear. Satan's Bed was another one we expected to hear tonight. After that Sweet Lew, which I thought they might try with this being Jeff's last chance to sing this song where Dr J played. This is a song I had never really liked, but was a million times better live.

Do the Evolution and Smile were both lots of fun tonight. I was shocked that Ed sang part of the second verse of Alive for the first one, but can't be disappointed after all the other crazy shit tonight. Rockin' in the Free World was fun with the confetti and balloons (the latter of which we saw waiting in the rafters early on), then Yellow Ledbetter with the complete Star Spangled Banner at the end just topped off this insane show.

In addition to this being a great Halloween show with the odd song choices, it was Jeff's chance to get some long overdue respect. Not only for singing Sweet Lew, but also having a lot of great songs he wrote or helped write in the setlist like Why Go, Pilate, Low Light, Jeremy, and Smile.
  • pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    I have to say you lucky, lucky bastards. This must have been quite a show! So many songs on it I want to hear live: Out of My Mind, Rats, Crown of Thorns, Satans Bed, Smile, You Are, Unthought Known and Amongst the Waves to name just a few. It must have been awesome. Cant believe to see some of you have actually complained about a show like this, it would have blown my mind just to hear those songs above, let alone some of the others. I will definitely be getting this boot. This sounds like a classic show and didn't live up to the hype, someone says? Pray tell what exactly does?

My turn next - they our hitting our shores in two weeks time and I am primed and ready for a blast of a week as I'm seeing them 4 times, travelling around the country to see them, something I dreamed of doing long ago only couldnt 'cos my kids were too young. Now I have the freedom to do it I'm determined to enjoy myself no matter what songs they play I know I will enjoy each and every show! ;) I say have a break guys and then get down to the business of blowing our minds and giving us some of the greatest PJ shows ever to hit Aussie shores! To say I'm looking forward to this is the understatement of the year!
  • Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    I need to get some sleep, but words cannot describe what I saw tonight.

Here are some of my pics:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 6d42fbcfd9
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,374
    Relax... I'm not saying the crowd was dead, but too many people were more interested in their blackberry's than watching the show.

And even Stone noticed the crowd note giving it up enough when he stepped up to the mic after Sweet Lew and said "c'mon people... its Sweet Lew!"

Only then did the crowd really make some noise for Jeff.

But it really was a fun show.. not the best ever - as someone else pointed out it was little sloppy and the energy took a dive once in awhile. But still still amazing to be entertained to that degree with over 40 songs! Great job by the band :)
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore