Comments

• The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    norm wrote:
    The Champ wrote:
    norm wrote:
    FRONT
    FUCKING
    ROW!!!

Holy shit Norm!!! Congrats man..but just know that now you've officially hit the ceiling, and nothing from here on out will ever come remotely close to matching that night ;)...yes, this thought makes my jealous ass feel slightly better....glad you rocked it out..

yeah i know...next weeks shows will be a letdown ;) :P :lol:

Your life can only roll downhill from here ;) ..jesus..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • sfrenchsfrench Posts: 42
    Just got home from the trip. As everyone else is saying... it was amazing.

Drove down from San Francisco with a friend of mine, and while my 10C number isn't the greatest, I hit the lottery with second row (BBB) directly in front of Stone. I took some awesome pics, sang my head off, and loved every minute.

I'll update the post when I have my pics uploaded.

Edit: Alright.. have at 'em: http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve0_f/sets/72157622510097812/
  • pateljampateljam Posts: 340
    sfrench wrote:

Drove down from San Francisco with a friend of mine, and while my 10C number isn't the greatest, I hit the lottery with second row (BBB) directly in front of Stone. I took some awesome pics, sang my head off, and loved every minute.

Edit: Alright.. have at 'em: http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve0_f/sets/72157622510097812/
    Great Pictures! Did you score any guitar pics...
    2000-10-28 San Bernardino
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2003-10-26 Mountain View-Bridge School
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2006-10-22 Mountain View- Bridge School
    2008-07-19 UCLA-Who Rock Honors
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • sfrenchsfrench Posts: 42
    pateljam wrote:
    Great Pictures! Did you score any guitar pics...

Thanks. I was trying to balance taking pictures with going absolutely batshit insane jumping around :) Kinda bummed that I didn't get a pick. Mike throws *handfuls* and I think Stone threw a single one the whole night.
  • LADIES REPRESENT!!!!

First concert in SIX YEARS! I average zero concerts a year. I saw both PJ and Radiohead at Great Woods in Mansfield, MA back in 2003. And no shows since! When I moved to the left coast, I specifically chose to live on the subway line so I could live a car-free existence. It's 12 minutes from my flat to Universal City. It was my birthday Rocktober second, so I needed to see PJ on the closest day. I've never been to the Gibson. I was impressed: I was not groped by a female 'security' stave. My bag was not searched. I appreciated the respect. Inside, the staff kept the wide aisles between the four main sections clear. One man literally shooed away some stragglers who had drifted down. When 3 dudes in front of me started passing around a spliff, an attendant stopped them on the third puff.

In my estimation, the crowd was nearly 40% female! In the past, I was always in the small minority by being a woman at a Pearl Jam concert. Maybe the years have changed fan demographics, maybe L.A. is more integrated than New England. I'm not sure. (The fan club section was more male than the general audience.) The woman to my left also went solo.

I'm on my third or fourth membership due to lapses... I originally joined in 1994 with a # of 90,000-something. Now its 400,000-something. But I still got centre Orchestra. Wow, thanks!! Whoop!

When I saw the setlist for the previous night, my heart sunk a bit. Porch?!? State Of Love And Trust?! Bloody Hell. I looked again, and thought of all the songs not played. Wednesday's crowd didn't get I Am Mine, Daughter, Rearviewmirror, Corduroy, or Crazy Mary. This is Pearl Jam! Of course they would play even more great songs on Thursday. I was not treated to my personal nineties fave, SOLAT, or noughties fave, IAM. But I got Given To Fly. Once. Alive. When Ed started talking about pulling out a song he hadn't played in a long time because it tortured him emotionally, I matter-of-factly stated, "Jeremy." And so it was. Hearing Lukin with strings was a treat! When the music for Betterman played, we all started singing the words. Ed made like he was going to sing, but turned his mic to the audience instead. Everyone was word-perfect, for half the song, until Ed finally decided to chime in. He was obviously pleased. I was really getting into the show during second encore, when the guys took a bow and made their exit. Gosh, that was short! Must...attend...another...show...next...week.

The silence between the main set and the first encore was bizarre. That is going to sound odd on the live recording. All previous PJ shows I've been to had at least 4 times the audience. And it's common for Angelenos to be bored with celebrity, so maybe screaming and stomping is a bit over the top. I don't know. Worst of all was the crowd as we all filed out of the building and walked down the winding hill. No one seemed happy. No one was laughing, no one had energy.

WEAR YOUR EARPLUGS! Every few posts I'm reading has a fan describing his hearing damage after the show. It's not "cool" to make yourself deaf by the time you are middle aged.
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • sfrench wrote:

Nice arms ;)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve0_f/3 ... 510097812/
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • heyjoseheyjose Melbourne, Australia Posts: 503
    I'm probably gonna echo the sentiments of a lot of people in this thread, but this was a really fun show. Outstanding venue.. loved seeing the band in a place like that before they play massive stadiums in Oz.

Yep, night 1 was noticeably quiet, and I thought it good of Ed to not make mention of it too much (or at all?). He just saved that for night 2! :D I've been harsh on crowds in Oz (which can be reserved also), so usually at a show I turn and face other crowd members and try and get them to start clapping along to a song or chanting or whatever. I did this a little in LA, only to be met with stares from some people.

Anyway, this was my 2nd US show, and it blew night 1 away. Had seats Mike's side, 7th row Orc, and the sound from there was great. Thought the new songs were brilliant... no kinks whatsoever. The Fixer is a good song on its own, but I dunno, maybe seems a little out of place with it's "yeah yeah yeah yeah"s amongst the rest of the catalogue. Just Breathe is sublime, and you could tell the way Ed mixed things up for an improptu Lukin that he was enjoying himself a lot. The Red Mosquito jam off between Mike and Ben was intense.. actually the whole show, as people have said, had this energy to it that never really waned.

Thanks LA!
    1995: Melbourne 1
    1998: Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2003: Sydney 1, 2, 3, Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2006: Sydney 1, 2, Melbourne 1, 2, 3, Sydney 3, Newcastle, Adelaide 1, 2, Perth
    2009: LA 1, 2, Melbourne, Sydney
    2014: Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney

BF25394 wrote:
    SH10924 wrote:
    Show rocked as usual. Ed's voice started to crack after 5 songs or so.

Only thing that completely sucked was the Ten Club fan seating assignment. I have 15 years in (first club tix show was Golden Gate Park SF 1995). They threw me extreme left with a profile view obscured by amps and mic stands. My join date is wrong even on this forum.

Guy at will call next to me was in for several years, quit - which is suppose to cancel your seniority - he rejoins 2 years ago and gets Pit 3, Row 4. Completely whack and just goes to show you the seat selection process is not based on seniority. 2nd tour that Ten Club has dissed me on my tickets and loyalty to this band.

Completely lame.

I don't think the "joined" date reflects when you joined the Ten Club. Like you, my "joined" date is July 1, 1998, even though I joined the Ten Club in 1994. I think July 1, 1998, was when they started the message board.

There is something bizarre about the way the seats are assigned, though. It sounds like you have a similar number to me (163xxx) and, like you, I was shunted way off to the side on night 1. Section 9, Row KK (the 11th row, but all the way to Mike's side). Last night, as I described above, people with much higher numbers were dead center and closer to the stage.

Mine's 163xxx, and for night 1 I had row KK, Section 8 (Stone's side).

• anez_98anez_98 Posts: 158
    i have a crap number and got pit bbb for night 2. sometimes it's ok to be lucky!

20-plus show vet ... so sometimes you deserve to get lucky.
  • What a killer show.

I have to admit to getting slighty overserved at this one, and don't have the immediate recall of various moments that others do. Part owing to the excitement of not having seen the full band in 3+ years, and because of the brewhouse pre-funk, and the readily available concessions in every direction at the Gibson. Not sloppy drunk by any means, just a happy jumping buzzed dude in Orch 3 row MM, which was Mike's side just off center and like 20 rows up from the pit. Close to perfect really. My apologies to 10c'ers with lower numbers who got stuck on the sides, that does sound like a mistake. My number is in the millions or whatever after getting complacent with my mid-90's number and missing the memo about not renewing old numbers. Oh well. I honestly never imagined the band would be playing this long, or that after all this time I would still care so much. The fanclub allocation is an inexact science and we have to give the staffers the benefit of the doubt that they are doing their best. I know that "best available" as a computer sees it is often not what is logically the better seat to a human being. After all the anticipation before a show, it's understandably disappointing when your 10c seat isn't up to expectations. I felt this at Honolulu 2 earlier this year when my 10c tix were 17 rows back, after my Ticketbastard single for the previous night was 14th row center. But I have been fortunate enough to see the band from the 3rd row in '98 and the 2nd row in '03, not to mention the 3rd dinner table back dead-center at the Impact Awards, so I count my prior blessings and give kudos to this band for making any concessions at all. For all the cash they rake in on merch and modern ticket prices, and whatever the Target distribution deal got them, they could be making loads more on the premium tickets. So thanks again to PJ and 10c! (and please give me back my old number. Kidding, I've already asked.)

That wasn't really a fanview was it? Sorry. I agree that the band (totally) and the crowd (mostly) were on fire. Especially Stone with his new flop-top haircut looking like a grunge version of Joey Ramone. Dude was far more animated than I've ever noticed previously. It is very cool to see them having so much fun onstage, and seeing Eddie reclaim the rock-star frontman mantle that he must own when at the helm of the mighty Pearl Jam. The backlit Backspacer-style letters spelling out the band's name on the stage backdrop seemed like an anachronism to me at first, but after awhile thought it was pretty cool, like simultaneously a self-effacing joke on themselves and an announcement of their own renewed joy in being who they are as a group. Spoiled by the length of other shows I've been to but this was a tight, blistering performance by a band really on its game. Totally satisfying. Can't wait for San Diego. It is going to fucking KILL.

By the way, for anyone who cares about getting your drink on, the San Diego venue is the same one as '06 with a different corporate sponsor. It's an on-campus venue and the University has gotten increasingly strict on alcohol. In '06 all alcohol sales were cut off when PJ took the stage, and I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case again this time around. Just sayin'.
    san diego 5.20.95 (watt+ed) . san diego 11.7.95 . oakland 11.18.97 (stones) . san diego 7.10.98 . las vegas 7.11.98 . san diego 10.25.00 . san diego 6.5.03 . seattle 4.9.04 (impact awards) . san diego 7.7.06 . san diego 4.15.08 (ed) . san diego 4.16.08 (ed) . honolulu 7.1.09 (ed) . honolulu 7.2.09 (ed) . los angeles 10.1.09 . san diego 10.9.09 . san diego 7.5.11 (ed) . seattle 7.16.11 (ed)
  • What a killer show.

I have to admit to getting slighty overserved at this one, and don't have the immediate recall of various moments that others do. Part owing to the excitement of not having seen the full band in 3+ years, and because of the brewhouse pre-funk, and the readily available concessions in every direction at the Gibson. Not sloppy drunk by any means, just a happy jumping buzzed dude in Orch 3 row MM, which was Mike's side just off center and like 20 rows up from the pit. Close to perfect really. My apologies to 10c'ers with lower numbers who got stuck on the sides, that does sound like a mistake. My number is in the millions or whatever after getting complacent with my mid-90's number and missing the memo about not renewing old numbers. Oh well. I honestly never imagined the band would be playing this long, or that after all this time I would still care so much. The fanclub allocation is an inexact science and we have to give the staffers the benefit of the doubt that they are doing their best. I know that "best available" as a computer sees it is often not what is logically the better seat to a human being. After all the anticipation before a show, it's understandably disappointing when your 10c seat isn't up to expectations. I felt this at Honolulu 2 earlier this year when my 10c tix were 17 rows back, after my Ticketbastard single for the previous night was 14th row center. But I have been fortunate enough to see the band from the 3rd row in '98 and the 2nd row in '03, not to mention the 3rd dinner table back dead-center at the Impact Awards, so I count my prior blessings and give kudos to this band for making any concessions at all. For all the cash they rake in on merch and modern ticket prices, and whatever the Target distribution deal got them, they could be making loads more on the premium tickets. So thanks again to PJ and 10c! (and please give me back my old number. Kidding, I've already asked.)

That wasn't really a fanview was it? Sorry. I agree that the band (totally) and the crowd (mostly) were on fire. Especially Stone with his new flop-top haircut looking like a grunge version of Joey Ramone. Dude was far more animated than I've ever noticed previously. It is very cool to see them having so much fun onstage, and seeing Eddie reclaim the rock-star frontman mantle that he must own when at the helm of the mighty Pearl Jam. The backlit Backspacer-style letters spelling out the band's name on the stage backdrop seemed like an anachronism to me at first, but after awhile thought it was pretty cool, like simultaneously a self-effacing joke on themselves and an announcement of their own renewed joy in being who they are as a group. Spoiled by the length of other shows I've been to but this was a tight, blistering performance by a band really on its game. Totally satisfying. Can't wait for San Diego. It is going to fucking KILL.

By the way, for anyone who cares about getting your drink on, the San Diego venue is the same one as '06 with a different corporate sponsor. It's an on-campus venue and the University has gotten increasingly strict on alcohol. In '06 all alcohol sales were cut off when PJ took the stage, and I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case again this time around. Just sayin'.

You better be getting your ass up here for a show this week. Can't wait til Friday my friend!
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Saw the English Beat in Portland on 10/1.

Coincidentally, they played Save it for Later > Better Man.

Had no idea they did that.
    I got id
  • Dark StarDark Star Posts: 496
    Anyone know if Daughter had a tag?
  • PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    Awesome show! Great venue. The last four times I've seen them have been at Madison Square Garden and I wasn't sure how the Gibson Amp was going to compare. The Gibson feels really intimate so the energy was crazy. I have never seen the band come out rocking like they did. Those first four songs were incredible! The new album plays great live too.

And can we also talk about how great Ben Harper was... how about when came from behind the microphone and went out to the lip of the stage and quieted down the audience and sang out. That was amazing.

Great show! Can't wait for Tuesday. As awesome as I think the venue is, I still wish my seats for Tuesday weren't in the Mezzanine!!!??!!!! If anyone has two tickets available that are anywhere in the Orchestra or Loge.. let me know. I'll buy 'em.
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • morbonomorbono Posts: 32
    Can anyone tell me what the camera policy for these shows at the Gibson has been like?

Removable lens cameras allowed? Thorough pat downs, if so? Looking to maybe bring an SLR...
  • morbono wrote:
    Can anyone tell me what the camera policy for these shows at the Gibson has been like?

Removable lens cameras allowed? Thorough pat downs, if so? Looking to maybe bring an SLR...

There were no pat downs/frisks/gropes/intimidation of any kind. No bag searches. Nothing. It was the most respect I've ever been shown at a rock venue.

So refreshing!! It was a laid-back, Southern California vibe.
    "May you live in interesting times."
    Dark Star wrote:
    Anyone know if Daughter had a tag?

A bit of call and response - the "eh - eh - o - eh" sorta thing.

• Ernie VedderErnie Vedder Redlands, CA Posts: 2,221
    yeah. i forgot my camera that night too....im ready for tomorrows show though.....
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
  • Anybody else have pics? I'm looking for a pic from the side balcony view?
    120XXX
  • Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in on the crowd debate. I loved both shows, actually preferred the set a bit on night 1 compared with night 2, but my seats were better on night two, row kk in the orchestra as opposed to the loge 21 on night 1. I don't have the words to describe these guys, it's a religious experience seeing these guys. I haven't really ever done hard drugs, but imagine the high has to be similar and with hardly any come down/withdrawal, and seeing PJ lasts 2+ hours!

1) I didn't think the crowd was that bad night 1, people in my section were up on their feet for the whole set and they were pumping their fists.
    2) Night 2 had more hits and sing-alongs, so of course there's going to be more "energy". Also Eddie was more chatty, and the band more energetic. It's chicken and egg, which happens first? On night 1, Present Tense was so fucking great that it's the highlight of both nights for me so far. It's all about what you're their to see. I'm there to see Pearl Jam, and hopefully some of my favorite songs I've not yet heard live. not the crowd going crazy. If they do, that's even better, but that's not a huge deal to me.

A couple other observations:
    I think 7 or 8 songs from the new album is a little much - 5 would be perfect. A little more Lost Dogs, No Code or Yield would be great, and I understand this is a selfish sentiment. I've never gotten In My Tree or In Hiding in 6 shows now, so I'm begging for these.

They seemed to want to do a Daughter tag, but the right guitar was not brought to Eddie, or they weren't on the same page. Something happened though.

I understand they have the string quartet, but having Just Breathe and The End every night does seem a bit stale for them. Lukin with the quartet was awesome and hilarious. Driven to Tears was sweet. That's the spontaneity we all love from this group. Red Mosquito is awesome, so I do not mind that all. For night's 3 and 4 I really hope they mix it up a little.
    Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    So my 11-year-old daughter and I flew down from SF for her first concert experience.

The Gibson Amphitheater - wow, what a joy, what a great festive atmosphere, Citywalk at Universal Studios just adds to that. Pulling 22nd Row Tix – Orch 3 Row LL, two in from the aisle. That’ll do, that’ll do.

I wonder if PJ didn't take a long peek at the Gibson during the Conan gig. Not that they haven't seen it before most likely. (I wonder if rock stars tour “other” venues as they pass through. Sure they take in other shows, so… Just wow, so happy they picked this place!)

And now I’ve “lost” my band to my daughter, this was her show … and her album, the one that really got her into the band, her songs she wanted to hear – first time hearing an audience all sing along like that – I can’t tell you how awesome it was to be there in the 10C seats with everyone’s voices and vibe. Thanks 10C!!!!

So many folks come to bands mid-career, folks engage with the latest album release hype, like for me Moving Pictures defines RUSH, stuff that comes before is just the “early” stuff and everything else is just not as good, ya know? Well, taking the daughter and talking with her all weekend made me realize how very relevant and accessible Pearl Jam is, how smart they are, how creative … how “in tune.” Backspacer is an album for the times, and I hope it’s rockin’ a lot of folks.

She showed me how to re-live or capture the spirit of a band -- at any time, not the beginning, or THAT moment, but any time … any time can be “THAT” moment for someone. For all the early Seattle or MSG, Soldier Field, Beacon epicness … nothing can ever top a “first show.” And just OMG, what a first show. I’m jealous and I was there!

So my daughter’s favs are Just Breath and Johnny Guitar and she loved them live. She had serious pink ear muffs on, and I caught her liftin’ em off a lot … mostly to hear the crowd sing. We took em off for Just Breath and The End. She knew Jeremy, Small Town, Daughter, Betterman and YL as songs I hack out. "Hey Dad, you try and play these!" … What's with the "try?" Do or do not…

She got EIGHT songs off Backspacer and loved each one, and I jumped on that bandwagon! I really like the album. But I certainly got “my” show too: Dissident, Driven To Tears, I Believe In Miracles, I Got ID, RVM. Oh my! Tears was tight!

Eddie's intro to Do the Evolution, hehehe. My 11-year-old understood every word … and rolled her eyes at me when I let loose in agreement with Ed, “It’s not against the law to loose your f’n shit at a Rock Show!” Well it’s not!

Daughter “repeat after me” tag ending in a primal scream. Eddie laughing at us trying to repeat that …We tried!

Interstellar Overdrive / Corduroy opening, what fun! Old School. My daughter looked at me for SH and I said "Avocado." And she nods. So third song, Got Some was her very first ::I know this song:: concert moment. Awesome, singing along, bouncing, smiling, loving it! Hooked! High-Fives all around!

She falls asleep for Once! Wakes up for Alive. “I was asleep, but I could feel the music in the armrests, I knew I was asleep, but I could hear the song. Wild!” She was a trooper, too much excitement, build-up, she crashed and bounced back fast! We were up past midnite buzzing!

Asked her what she found herself watching most: Eddie of course … and Matt! She really enjoyed Matt and noticed he sang a lot.

Even though we missed SOLT, Tremor Christ!!!!, and the first performance of Force of Nature by one night, I wouldn’t change a thing. And all the Nos, No Even Flow, No Black, and my daughter would add no Force of Nature, no Supersonic. No Footsteps. No Video Screens / Close Circuit feed.

The 2nd Bottle of Wine Moment. Eddie was so cool to the quartet. Mike throwing out picks like he was a Globetrotter with a bucket. After the Fixer, “That was The Fixer, and I guess this is another way to fix things.” RVM begins. I laugh…

Yeah, lots of little tech problems throughout, monitors, string breaking, mid-song guitar swaps. Eddie had a new Koa acoustic guitar for The End I'd never seen before though. Very sweet.

“That was pretty quiet in between, as if you knew we'd be back.” Ha, there was just a thread about that, someone’s fillin’ him in….

And imagine seeing Yellow Ledbetter for the first time, watching Mike play the star spangled banner. Turning around and seeing that whole crowd smilin' and singin'. I'd rather add to that, be a part of it, than be walking toward the door. I know "the words..." As the saying goes in Disneyland: “Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy.” Just turn on your rock song!

And none of the above has any relevance at all ...

Because it was Ben Harper and Relentless 7 that had already rocked her world! He opens up with Rock and Roll is Free If You Want It. And she heard Shimmer and Shine and two other favorites off their album. While she listens to Backspacer more, we’ve had White Lies for awhile longer. He just wails on guitar, and his performance during Red Mosquito was simply off the hook. Hair-raising-tingly-sensations all over!

Pre-Show, we talked briefly with a couple in Row JJ from San Diego -- she was wearing the Outside Lands shirt – my daughter loved how she just stood up when Ben started, all by herself, in her own world, and rocked out. My daughter was too shy to follow suit, but she wanted to, it got her thinking … and smiling. Set the mood.

Ben Harper holding a note forever, you think Ed can hold a note in Black? Bah! And then to top it off, Ben just walks out to the front of the stage, no mic, and lets loose again! Perfect clarity, he fills the room.

And I've seen the pictures of U2's recent tour, sitting in the middle of the Redskins Football field and going, "Wow! That's intense!" But I just don't think that's rock, rock is up close and personal, being on the rail, packed into the club, the basement.

This venue was up close and personal – Wiki Pics shows the video screens, my first kinda disappointment was that they were covered up for the show (just cause I know the daughter would use ‘em). Once it all started, I never thought about it again, and the daughter stood on her seat and could see just fine.

“It’s easier to pogo on the seat, it helps me bounce!”
    Best Audience Moment: Meeting a fella who brought his young daughter to the show (he was savvy enough to provide her with ear protection) and seeing her sing along with Backspacer songs. He told me after the show that she is in choir and has her listen to the Beatles and such and that this has helped rid her of all 'Hannah Cyrus Jonas Miley Montana Brothers' et al influence. Great Dad...great advice.

Just major props to ‘My Same Old Friend' above for being cool with her standing on the seat in front of you! Thanks again! See You In SD! And as she was falling asleep, she looked up to see your wife peering down, checkin in on her, she liked that, she liked how friendly everyone was. She liked the community.

And yes, parents -- The Beatles are the answer to all this pop-schlock! Or Backspacer!

Yeah I think I was right around you too, LeatherMosquitoMan. You or your friend started to rattle off the set list from Night 1 and I light-heartedly protested? I like going in thinking, “anything is possible!” But not TC or SOLAT I guess.... hehehe. With the dude in the awesome Cubs jersey? Nice!

With all fun intended: Eddie’s a liar, I believe nothing he says anymore! Yes, yes, I know we were better than Night 1, sure, sure. But five songs in and he’s all “Awww, my voice is starting to go, can you help me sing?!?!?” Ha, he’s just getting us to sing, that’s all. Voice was perfect.

As I told my daughter, he’s a rock star, he’s a performer, this is a show, this is his schtick. Don’t take him too seriously. She still scolded him every time he dropped an F-bomb -- “Eddie…”

Ditto on comments on the Laker’s shirts – saw a few too many dudes with BUNDLES of them, should be a 2-per limit or something. Bummer, I was there early and missed out. Double bummer that there was nothing at Outside Lands -- no Giants or Niners.

So I said we were two seats in -- Two ladies I hesitated to suggest, to ask, “switch seats so my little girl can have the aisle view?” I know there was nothing fair about putting them on the spot like that, and I graciously accepted their polite denial. I hadda try! Sigh. So then, yeah, show starts and two 7-foot monsters stand up in front of them and security takes to “aisle enforcement” with gusto, constant harassment of the ladies trying to peek out around Too Talls.

By the first encore one leaned over to say, “Feel lucky we didn’t switch with you” as she nods to the towering obstructions. I offered to switch so they could see the encores, by that point my daughter and I had ROCKED. Spread the love … I really would have swapped you!

And to top it all off, the perfect concert shirt –- the deer-antler-tree ladies T!
    For her! Heck, I got the circular saw blade!!! SWEET!
    [sic] happens
  • acutejam wrote:

Yeah I think I was right around you too, LeatherMosquitoMan. You or your friend started to rattle off the set list from Night 1 and I light-heartedly protested? I like going in thinking, “anything is possible!” But not TC or SOLAT I guess.... hehehe. With the dude in the awesome Cubs jersey? Nice!

Yes! I remember that. That was me, i was in the cubs jersey. I remember the pink ear-muffs! I'm glad she enjoyed it!

Shame you can't come back for more shows!
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 2,978
    I have been meaning to ask: did anyone else notice a high level of chatter from the crowd during "Just Breathe"? I usually don't pay much attention to the crowd, but it was noticeable and distracting.

In response to the person who said he doesn't want to hear so many songs from the new album, better hear them while you can because it's unlikely that many will make it into future setlists. In 2006, they played as many as 10 songs from "Pearl Jam" in a single show (at least among the 6 shows I saw on that tour). This year, of the four shows I've seen, they have played between 1 and 3 from that album.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • RandRRandR Posts: 9
    BF25394 wrote:
    I have been meaning to ask: did anyone else notice a high level of chatter from the crowd during "Just Breathe"? I usually don't pay much attention to the crowd, but it was noticeable and distracting.

In response to the person who said he doesn't want to hear so many songs from the new album, better hear them while you can because it's unlikely that many will make it into future setlists. In 2006, they played as many as 10 songs from "Pearl Jam" in a single show (at least among the 6 shows I saw on that tour). This year, of the four shows I've seen, they have played between 1 and 3 from that album.

There was a lot of back chatter plus the incessant tap tap tap of people updating their FB pages. Bring back lighters and leave your phone in the car.

Stuck in Idaho this week---wish I was home so I could go to the shows.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Hey... I just saw Stewart Copeland at Amoeba and talked to him a bit. i told him I'd met him at one of Taylor Hawkin's gigs out in Malibu. He told he he had just seen Taylor, "A wonderful lad", at the Pearl Jam show last week. He went on and told me he had gotten there too late for them to "Drag him onto the stage to do the Police song"!!! I told him the place would have gone nuts.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Cosmo wrote:
    Hey... I just saw Stewart Copeland at Amoeba and talked to him a bit. i told him I'd met him at one of Taylor Hawkin's gigs out in Malibu. He told he he had just seen Taylor, "A wonderful lad", at the Pearl Jam show last week. He went on and told me he had gotten there too late for them to "Drag him onto the stage to do the Police song"!!! I told him the place would have gone nuts.

:shock:

i didn't have a lot of shit left at that point, but if that had happened i would have completely lost my shit
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    norm wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:

:shock:

i didn't have a lot of shit left at that point, but if that had happened i would have completely lost my shit
    Me too!!! I told Stewart that would have been more than i could handle... but, next time... get there early.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
    Man -- I so hate to see my favorite shows drop to the bottom of the stickied pages! Blatant bump here, but I guess most folks who saw LA2 where also blown away by Tues/Weds.... Rankin in the stickies not withstanding, another interesting indicator is just pure pages of response -- so I know everyone liked this show just cause it's got more posts than some of the much larger venues!!!

But here's one thing I kinda overlooked about LA2, brought up on SD Fanviews -- megahit singalongs for the great drunken masses can be wonderful things at concerts. Sometimes that rare song, the "deep cut," can be a buzzkill for casual fans -- while the hardcore flail about in ecstacy, the vast hoarde might be heading for a beer.... And we certainly got the standards, Betterman, Elderly and what not.

But one of the real gems of LA2 -- F'n JEREMY. As much as I'm ho-hum about it as a rabid fan (just over saturation on part), it really is one of their best known songs, definitely Top 5 Hit. As much fun as singing along in San Diego was -- I didn't get goosebumps and chills like I did for LA2 Jeremy.

Eddie's intro was hilarious, something like "Haven't sung this in awhile, always made me feel like someone had ripped off the top of my head and poured cream soda in my skull..." (Which is a hard to grok -- is a cream-soda-soaked brain a good thing or bad?!??!) "So we tried it during the sound check today ... and it still happens. So if I drop to the floor, someone just come on up, pick up the mic and finish the song."

CUE BASS RIFF

While the initial sing-along of owl-hooting can be as annoying as the "doo doo doo's" of Black -- it still sounds awesome coming from a huge crowd! But what really sticks in my mind is the final primal scream "Whoooaaaa -- oooooh oh oh oh!" followed by what I've always thought is some of the best free form vocals evah:

Aye yai yai yai yai yai yai yai yai yai yaaaaiii!

Man the Gibson just lit up on that part, as I suspect just about every single person knew excactly what to bring at that moment. It was really cool and honestly more powerful than anything I heard the San Diego folks deliver.

Ah the power of the drunken fan-friendly sing-along! I've found a new respect for you!
    [sic] happens
    Get yer Backspacer tunes!!! So far LA2 has the largest run of the album (8/11) -- and don't forget the crazy unreheased acoustic Lukin w/ quartet free jam!

And looking like "Jeremy" is our only special sumthin -- they haven't played it anywhere else ... so far.

(Yeah thread dropped to the bottom again, blatant bump....)

It's like most folks did the LA3/4-SD week rather than pop in for LA1/2?
    And I gotta say it again, even as I think about "Under Pressure" in San Diego -- BH&R7 was ON this night, their sets were changing slightly night to night -- this THursday night performance was kick-ass.

Did Ben do the front of stage "no mic" singing for "It's Up TO You Now" at any other shows?
    [sic] happens