*** LA 2 Fanviews Here 10/01/09 ***

Comments

• Tenth show for me. Took my 13 year old who's birthday is today (her first show). This crowd thing is absurd. Boston best US show Buenos Aires night 1 greatest show/crowd ever. LA fans got a real treat with Lukin and Ben Harper kicked ass. But lets face it the show would have been classic if they completed the trilogy and trown in Garden. I am greedy. Thank you Nate and Pearl Jam.
    11.18.1997 - OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA
    06.06.2003 - LAS VEGAS, NEVADA
    10.22.2003 - SEATTLE, WASHINGTON
    10.28.2003 - SANTA BARBARA, CALIFORNIA
    09.28.2004 - BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS
    09.29.2004 - BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS
    11.25.2005 - BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
    11.26.2005 - BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
    07.07.2006 - SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA
    10.01.2009 - UNIVERSAL CITY, CALIFORNIA
    10.30.2013 - CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA
    10.01.2014 - CINCINNATI, OHIO
    09.15.2023 - FORT WORTH, TEXAS
  • FANnCAFANnCA Posts: 107
    great show, thank you 10club orc 7 row BB which basicaly worked out to being 5th row. mike right in front of us all night.
    best LA crowd i have been in. set list was very rocking felt like a show from late 90's energy wise. Ed was in great mood smiling alot. Gibson Amp is my new fav venue great sound and didn't seem like there would be a bad seat in the place.

We had a Phil Jackson sighting

Great Night!
  • JohnD.JohnD. Posts: 63
    FYI "Jazz Oddessy" is likey a reference to the film THIS IS SPINAL TAP. After Nigel is fired from the group, the band tries to figure out which songs they can do in their concert that night. They realize that with him gone, they only have a 10 minute set. Derek Smalls suggests the band go out and do a freeform "Jazz Oddessy".

BTW I was at tonight's show and it just rocked. Awesome thing: on the way up from the parking garage me and my friend were on the escalator alone with Cameron Crowe!!!
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    norm wrote:
    FRONT
    FUCKING
    ROW!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

CONGRATU-
    FUCKING-
    LATIONS

That is so awesome Norm!
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • wigoutdcpwigoutdcp Posts: 273
    what did the great cameron crowe have to say after seeing the greatest rock and roll band in the world?????
    cant wait to see that film he is making.....holy shit......45 shows and counting
    ?? shows and counting....GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD
  • edited October 2009
    Tonight's show was absolutely amazing...great crowd interaction, awesome set list, stunning showmanship and most importantly, great live music truly made it a memorable experience. I have been to dozens of PJ shows and this ranks up there. I will say that for me at least, crowd interaction does play a big part in the overall experience of the show...this is true of most concerts. If you are at a PJ show and are just going to be texting or sitting there with your thumb in yer butt, Why Go (see what I did there)? It's like going to see a movie and having people talk really loud while you are trying to get into it, it may not bother some people, but for me and many others it sucks.

I was in TenC Orc 3 row MM and everyone around me was singing at the top of their lungs and into the whole experience. You can feel our energy and the bands energy in synergy. This is not the first concert that Eddie has mentioned it when a crowd is way into the show (and by no means the last).

Best PJ Moment: Eddie's banter with the string section before a ripping acoustic/string Lukin

Best Audience Moment: Meeting a fella who brought his young daughter to the show (he was savvy enough to provide her with ear protection) and seeing her sing along with Backspacer songs. He told me after the show that she is in choir and has her listen to the Beatles and such and that this has helped rid her of all 'Hannah Cyrus Jonas Miley Montana Brothers' et al influence. Great Dad...great advice.
    Post edited by My Same Old Friend on
    "Before his first step, he's off again..."
  • Sounds like a great show.Glad to see that "Jeremy" was in the set list.
  • FANnCAFANnCA Posts: 107
    edited October 2009
    Post edited by FANnCA on
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,971
    Sea wrote:
    Lukin w/string quartet
    :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak ... 5432_n.jpg

I got very lucky tonight! :)

Celeb sightings included Neal Casal of the Cardinals(Ryan Adams), Chris Klein, Coach Phil Jackson, Judd Apatow, Mike Inez of Alice in Chains...

sucks that the crowd was going too crazy and they cut Footsteps out to keep things upbeat... was looking forward to that the whole show...

good show all in all... hope when they come back they keep changing things up and don't double too many songs... other than the new one's
  • unikunka wrote:
    "it's okay to lose your fucking shit at a rock show".

Hell yea! :D
    MSG - 6/25/08 EV Solo Tower Theatre - 06/11/09
    Philly 2 - 10/28/09 Philly 3 - 10/30/09
    Philly 4 - 10/31/09
    Boston 1 - 05/17/10
    PruCenter - 05/18/10
    MSG 1 - 05/20/10
    MSG 2 - 05/21/10
    Alpine1 - 09/03/11 Alpine2 - 09/04/11
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    norm wrote:
    FRONT
    FUCKING
    ROW!!!
    NICE!!!!!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    norm wrote:
    FRONT
    FUCKING
    ROW!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

CONGRATU-
    FUCKING-
    LATIONS

+ FUCKING 1!! :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    BF25394 wrote:
    On at 8:38 p.m. Done at 10:45 p.m. Exact same length as last night, but two minutes earlier.
    does anyone know why the band is ending 15+ minutes early on these shows? I think normally they end at like 11:05-11:10... sometimes longer obviously. That just seems really short and I can't figure out if its a band or venue thing.
  • Phil Jackson was in the crowd. Wonder what he thought.
    2004: Toledo; Grand Rapids
    2006: Grand Rapids; Auburn Hills
    2009: Chicago
    2010: Columbus
    2011: East Troy (PJ20), both
    2013: Wrigley Field
    2014: Detroit
  • RandRRandR Posts: 9
    Ever see an elderly couple having dinner together and they hardly speak? It's either the unspoken between them that gives them a certain peace, or they hate each other and can't wait for the meal to end. That's what I was thinking about this "couple" sitting next to me last night. During the show they read their mail, checked Facebook repeatedly and jumped to their feet every time a song from the 90's started. Pathetic. Put your stupid telephone in your pocket and experience real life. Oh, and one more thing, buddy boy. If I was out with a woman that looked like that, I'd be looking at her rather than playing with myself/phone.
  • norm wrote:
    FRONT
    FUCKING
    ROW!!!

right on norm, that's so effing cool.

i notice we haven't heard anything more out of you, did you die and go to heaven??? :mrgreen::lol:
  • RandRRandR Posts: 9
    Probably thinking he wished his legs would let him dance.
  • good set, glad I got to see it.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    BF25394 wrote:

"Lukin" was impromptu. The string quartet was all set to leave when Ed said, "Hold on-- give me that other guitar" and then invited the quartet to join him by just playing whatever they wanted over the song he was about to play. He said he wanted to tell them but couldn't find them before the gig. He said they'd practice it for the next show and get it right, but for tonight they could just "fuck it up." He then said he was "told" ("although [he] wrote it") that it's in E minor, if that helped them at all. The band had a great time with all of this, as did the crowd.

sounds like fun! thanks for the description
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    norm wrote:
    FRONT
    FUCKING
    ROW!!!

DUDE!!!!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Last night's show was the first time I've ever been on Mike's side and within 30 rows. That was also my 26th show so I guess somebody at the Ten Club doesn't like me very much. No offense to Stone whose side I'm usually on. Stone is the man, but Mike is a god.

I was row FF, eye level with the band like fifteen feet from the stage, if that. Being so close to Mike just adds an entirely different element to the show. He's constantly making eye contact with people in the crowd and carrying on these non-verbal conversations. There were times where he'd look at me and others and you almost feel like he's looking for you to tell him something. He did give a couple of funny looks to these two guys practically dirty dancing with each other all night in row DD or EE. You see plenty of high fives and an occasional hug amongst buddies, but man these guys seemed to really be into each other. They obviously enjoyed the show so its all good.

There was also a great moment right at the beginning of Given To Fly when someone several rows behind us exhaled a huge cloud of pot smoke into the air. The security guards all went on high alert and started looking to see where it came from. The cloud went over our heads and blew right across the stage. Mike immediately looked over and I think Ed did as well. I don't remember exactly what part of the song it was, but it was definitely timed perfectly.
  • norm wrote:
    FRONT
    FUCKING
    ROW!!!
    TheUltimateWarrior.gif
  • Tonight's show was absolutely amazing...great crowd interaction, awesome set list, stunning showmanship and most importantly, great live music truly made it a memorable experience. I have been to dozens of PJ shows and this ranks up there. I will say that for me at least, crowd interaction does play a big part in the overall experience of the show...this is true of most concerts. If you are at a PJ show and are just going to be texting or sitting there with your thumb in yer butt, Why Go (see what I did there)? It's like going to see a movie and having people talk really loud while you are trying to get into it, it may not bother some people, but for me and many others it sucks.

I was in TenC Orc 3 row MM and everyone around me was singing at the top of their lungs and into the whole experience. You can feel our energy and the bands energy in synergy. This is not the first concert that Eddie has mentioned it when a crowd is way into the show (and by no means the last).

Best PJ Moment: Eddie's banter with the string section before a ripping acoustic/string Lukin

Best Audience Moment: Meeting a fella who brought his young daughter to the show (he was savvy enough to provide her with ear protection) and seeing her sing along with Backspacer songs. He told me after the show that she is in choir and has her listen to the Beatles and such and that this has helped rid her of all 'Hannah Cyrus Jonas Miley Montana Brothers' et al influence. Great Dad...great advice.

I think i was right next to you...
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • drsluggo wrote:
    BF25394 wrote:
    On at 8:38 p.m. Done at 10:45 p.m. Exact same length as last night, but two minutes earlier.
    does anyone know why the band is ending 15+ minutes early on these shows? I think normally they end at like 11:05-11:10... sometimes longer obviously. That just seems really short and I can't figure out if its a band or venue thing.

I do believe it's b/c city walk shuts down at 11
    -Chris
    Male, 34

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
  • pateljampateljam Posts: 340
    First I will say that I had best Ten-C sets ever with my mediocre seniority.
    240XXX , section 7 Row KK, on Mike’s side.

I was not at the first night so I am only speaking about my impressions of Eddie’s criticism of the previous crowd. I don’t think he trying to offend the previous nights crowd because the band is well aware folks go to multiple show they ALL have made that point either Eddie on stage or the other band members through interviews.

I think Eddie was telling us to get the stick out of our ass and tear the fucking roof off the place. He pretty much said that in a different way and I don’t think the audience responded as well as we could. I for one will take responsibility for not living up to what Eddie wanted from us last night. My point is that I just woke up and I have a voice… Past shows I was always jacked up afterward… and the interesting thing is that during the show I just didn’t realize that I wasn’t singing and yelling as loud as I have at other shows. Shit it was my best seats ever and I didn’t bring my “A” game last night.

And I am sorry folks MANY of you didn’t bring your “A” game either. I turned around several times during the night and while pretty much the whole house was standing I didn’t see as much energy from past shows. Reason I say this for two reasons… “I got id” , while the crowd responded well I have seen past crowds go fuckin ape shit over this song… Second reason: 1st encore break the overwhelming majority of people sat the hell down. Eddie even said something to the effect that “ we were real quiet like we expecting them to come back” which of course is true we all know we get at least two encores, but we couldn’t we all stay up and go crazy for a minutes will they were setting up the string section….

Hell I just recalled another point…. During the second encore Eddie said “we have a couple more songs, but we won’t keep you……. But rules are meant to be broken” I think that was his last plea for us to just go wild.
    I am assuming that the several rows before and after me in section 7 were Ten-C and I have a real different impression of that area last night. There was a couple next to what was rocking out like crazy the whole night. But there were two dudes next to me that were very subdued and at the end of each song would clap and give a weak “whoo whoo” There was one dude right in front of me that didn’t make any movements until Alive was played. So my point is not being critical it is just pointing out that this crowd, me including could have been so much better.

It was a near “epic” set list last night and I regret that I have a voice the next morning….Well at least I have San Diego and will make damn sure I bring my “A” game…
    2000-10-28 San Bernardino
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2003-10-26 Mountain View-Bridge School
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2006-10-22 Mountain View- Bridge School
    2008-07-19 UCLA-Who Rock Honors
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    norm wrote:
    FRONT
    FUCKING
    ROW!!!

right on norm, that's so effing cool.

i notice we haven't heard anything more out of you, did you die and go to heaven??? :mrgreen::lol:

yes!!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • theanomericeffecttheanomericeffect Posts: 11
    edited October 2009
    Phil Jackson was in the crowd. Wonder what he thought.

So when picking up my fan club tickets the following exchange (roughly) happens with the ticket guy:

“Were you here last night? Your name sounds familiar.”
    “No. My only show is tonight.”
    Guy grabbing tickets; “Oh I know what it was, Phil Jackson wanted your seats.”
    “What?”
    “Phil Jackson wanted your seats.”
    Guy passes my tickets to me. Front row pit!!!! I am in shock.

So either he was pulling my leg, or as I would like to believe, Phil wanted to be back a little from the stage and my seats got picked to go to him and as a result I lucked out and get front row. If that’s the case, being born and raised a Trailblazer fan I finally have something to be thankful for to Phil Jackson.

Either way it was an incredible night and I got to live the dream for a couple hours. Eddie even handed a pick to my wife. My sincerest thanks to 10 club.
    Post edited by theanomericeffect on
    11/3/2000 - Boise, 12/8/2002 - Seattle, 7/09/2006 - Los Angeles, 7/10/2006 - Los Angeles, 12/9/2006 - Honolulu, 6/12/2008 - VH1 Rock Honors, 10/1/2009 - Los Angeles, 10/9/2009 - San Diego, 9/22/2012 - Atlanta, 10/12/2013 - Buffalo
  • It should be noted...

NO EVEN FLOW
    -Chris
    Male, 34

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
  • Took a buddy and his wife to Chicago 2. He is a prettydecent PJ fan but really only knows their main songs. He said the same thing. I they want to get a crowd going start ramping up the main songs..and I have to agree with him. Anyone on this board knows a ton of their stuff but honeslty there are not 15000 PJ fan club members at every show, a lot of people love their stuff and yet know every rare gem. IMyself I'd be happy either way.[/quote]

I'd have to disagree with you on this, and say that you're wrong. I'm not a ten club member and I would much rather hear the deep cuts and "non radio" songs at a PJ show. You gotta remember that when a band plays 30 songs a night, they can't be all big radio hits because, A. the band doesn't have 25 or 30 "big radio hits" and B. They would probably want to kill themselves if they played all of them every night. Simple logic can answer your buddy's queston.
    And for all those "main songs" kind of people out there. If you dare venture out a little and give other songs a chance, you might just like what you hear even more than the "main songs". This is a big problem for the music industry. People are so lazy because of and controlled by the media, that they fall prey to believing that only the songs on the radio are the good ones. So they don't bother to buy the albums.