*** LA 2 Fanviews Here 10/01/09 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
edited February 2014 in Given To Fly (live)
October 1, 2009 Universal City, California, Gibson Amphitheater
Opening Band: Ben Harper and Relentless7

Set List: (Interstellar Overdrive)/Corduroy, Severed Hand, Got Some, Do The Evolution, Dissident, Given To Fly, Johnny Guitar, Amongst The Waves, I Got Shit, Daughter, Jeremy, Unthought Known, Small Town, Driven To Tears, The Fixer, Rearviewmirror

1st encore: Just Breathe w/string quartet, The End w/string quartet, Lukin w/string quartet, Red Mosquito w/Ben Harper, Jazz Odyssey, Better Man/(Save It For Later)

2nd encore: Gonna See My Friend, I Believe In Miracles (Ramone, Rey), Once, Alive, Yellow Ledbetter/(Star Spangled Banner)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please try to keep the thread for Fanviews....
Thank you :)
Post edited by Sea on

Comments

• yosiyosi NYC Posts: 2,588
    Lukin w/string quartet?! Jazz Odyssey? What craziness is this? :shock:
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• clockistotimeclockistotime Los Angeles, CA Posts: 249
    Sea wrote:
    Lukin w/string quartet

sorry for not posting a fanview, but Lukin w/ string quartet!!! how does that even work or sound?!? haha, i'm excited to hear some reports on that. that had to be insane!
    "one man stands the edge of the ocean
    a beacon on dry land
    eyes above the horizon
    in the dark before the dawn..."
    "i am a donut"
  • pjfansincetenpjfansinceten Santa Monica, CA Posts: 107
    Favorite moment; Eddie finished his first bottle of wine, made a sad face. Eddie grabbed his hidden second bottle of wine, made a happy face!

Eddie kept talking about how the crowd was better than last night and it was true. Albeit, there were more KROQ friendly songs than Night 1. Once was a gem! Driven to Tears was great! Johnny Guitar was killer (first time I have seen it live!) and currently my fave off BS.

See you next Tuesday for more!
    91 - 11/22 Detroit (opening for RHCP)
    98 - 7/14 Los Angeles Forum (missed Tenacious D)
    00 - 8/24 Jones Beach, 10/24 Los Angeles Greek (can't find a Better Van!), 25 San Diego & 28 San Bernadino (Glen Helen)
    03 - 6/2 & 3 Irvine, 5 San Diego, 6 Las Vegas MGM (10th Annivesary), 7 Phoenix
    05 - 9/2 Vancouver
    06 - 7/9 & 10 Los Angeles, 12 Hollywood (Fonda Theatre, it's a Worldwide Suicide), 15 & 16 San Francisco
    08 - 7/12 The Who Tribute at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion! (Love, Reign o'er me! with orchestra)
    09 - 8/23 & 24 Chicago United Center, 9/26 Portland, 9/30, 10/1, 6 & 7 Universal City Amphiteatre, 9 San Diego (2nd row)
    10 - 5/20 & 21 MSG, 10/23 Bridge School
    12 - 6/20 & 21 Manchester, UK
    13 - 11/19 Phoenix, 21 San Diego, 23 & 24 Los Angeles, 12/6 Seattle (finally)!
    14 - 10/16 Detroit, 20 Milwaukee (YIELDED), 22 Denver
    16 - 8/20 Wrigley #1
    18 - 8/18 Wrigley #1 (40th show!), 8/20 Wrigley #2
  • clockistotimeclockistotime Los Angeles, CA Posts: 249
    yosi wrote:
    Lukin w/string quartet?! Jazz Odyssey? What craziness is this? :shock:

beat me to it. haha!
    "one man stands the edge of the ocean
    a beacon on dry land
    eyes above the horizon
    in the dark before the dawn..."
    "i am a donut"
  • pjfansincetenpjfansinceten Santa Monica, CA Posts: 107
    Sea wrote:
    Lukin w/string quartet

sorry for not posting a fanview, but Lukin w/ string quartet!!! how does that even work or sound?!? haha, i'm excited to hear some reports on that. that had to be insane!
    He mentioned that he looked for them before the show so they could rehearse, but he couldn't find them. So he kept them on stage, and indicated that he was told it was in E Minor and to avoid the third. He started the song, and eventually they tried to play along with him, but it was difficult to hear any of them over Eddie's fast strumming.
    91 - 11/22 Detroit (opening for RHCP)
    98 - 7/14 Los Angeles Forum (missed Tenacious D)
    00 - 8/24 Jones Beach, 10/24 Los Angeles Greek (can't find a Better Van!), 25 San Diego & 28 San Bernadino (Glen Helen)
    03 - 6/2 & 3 Irvine, 5 San Diego, 6 Las Vegas MGM (10th Annivesary), 7 Phoenix
    05 - 9/2 Vancouver
    06 - 7/9 & 10 Los Angeles, 12 Hollywood (Fonda Theatre, it's a Worldwide Suicide), 15 & 16 San Francisco
    08 - 7/12 The Who Tribute at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion! (Love, Reign o'er me! with orchestra)
    09 - 8/23 & 24 Chicago United Center, 9/26 Portland, 9/30, 10/1, 6 & 7 Universal City Amphiteatre, 9 San Diego (2nd row)
    10 - 5/20 & 21 MSG, 10/23 Bridge School
    12 - 6/20 & 21 Manchester, UK
    13 - 11/19 Phoenix, 21 San Diego, 23 & 24 Los Angeles, 12/6 Seattle (finally)!
    14 - 10/16 Detroit, 20 Milwaukee (YIELDED), 22 Denver
    16 - 8/20 Wrigley #1
    18 - 8/18 Wrigley #1 (40th show!), 8/20 Wrigley #2
  • RandRRandR Posts: 9
    I just got home. Sweet ringing in the ear.

Here's what I think about Vedder's comments regarding the energy level of last night's audience:
    I was in both crowds. They were completely different shows with dissimilar reactions.
    Last night's energy level was down, to be sure, when compared to tonight. Add a few Jeremy's, a Daughter and a killer version of the Police's "Driven to Tears" and Monday's audience would have responded.

I loved both shows. #15 and #16 respectively for me.

I just don't know if an audience has the "power" to set a mood or an energy level. PJ's audience's feed off the band. Last night's crowd didn't know what hit them. Tremor Christ won't have them pumping their fists.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 2,976
    Wow! Four words I never thought I'd live to write: "Lukin w/ string quartet"!

First of all, let me say that, short of playing in my living room, this venue could not be more convenient for me. PJ stopped playing at 10:45 p.m. I parked in general parking, not a short walk from the venue, and yet I pulled into my garage at 10:58 p.m. (I live in Sherman Oaks.) As an old guy, I appreciate being home by 11 p.m. :)

Second, I have seen this band 34 times now, and I've probably seen them play "Alive" at about 20 of those shows. Yet, still, it retains such power that it moved me to tears tonight. (Or perhaps I should say I was driven to tears.) Yes, I am a grown man. "I Got ID" got me choked up, too.

I was prepared for a letdown tonight after last night's phenomenal set, but a letdown there was not, even though this is not exactly the setlist I would have drawn up. Take a song like "Jeremy." I really don't ever need to hear this live again. I kind of feel like Ed, who said tonight that they had stopped playing it because it made him feel "like someone was pushing down on his head and pouring cream soda all over it." I don't know what that means, but I agree. Anyway, "Jeremy" was a home run tonight. Every note rang true.

Like last night, the set opened with a series of cannon blasts, one rocker after the next. "Got Some" is so visceral live. "Severed Hand" and "Evolution" were perfect bookends to "Got Some."

The new songs continue to stand out, although "The Fixer" is a bit schizophrenic. It sounded off at Seattle I, on at Seattle II, on last night, and off again tonight. "Gonna See My Friend" also fell kind of flat, which it didn't in Seattle. For the second straight night, "Unthought Known" was fantastic.

"Lukin" was impromptu. The string quartet was all set to leave when Ed said, "Hold on-- give me that other guitar" and then invited the quartet to join him by just playing whatever they wanted over the song he was about to play. He said he wanted to tell them but couldn't find them before the gig. He said they'd practice it for the next show and get it right, but for tonight they could just "fuck it up." He then said he was "told" ("although [he] wrote it") that it's in E minor, if that helped them at all. The band had a great time with all of this, as did the crowd.

"Elderly Woman" was dedicated to Jeff because he's from a town called Big Sandy.

"Jazz Odyssey" was played while the gear was broken down from Ben Harper's appearance. Ed said they had developed it a while ago but it never made it on an album. It was on the setlist as "Jazz Odyssey," so I don't know that it was really an improv. Ed did not play on it, and made a point of noting that.

Ed had many unkind words for last night's crowd, and much praise for tonight's. Does he realize that probably half the people in the theater are the same from last night to tonight? I don't really care for this. A lot of people last night had a great memory, and then they show up tonight and get insulted. Why not just say what a great crowd this is, without denigrating last night's crowd? Now I'll get off the soapbox.

"Driven To Tears" was dedicated (sort of) to Mike Watt, who was supposedly in attendance.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • 1 word. Energy.
    3 more words. Oh My God.

The Band was incredible, but the crowd was SOOOOO much better tonight! Had 10C tickets tonight (not mine, but part of a trade) and was in row MM in Orch. sect 3. Great seats, everyone around me rocked the F out.

Got some nice stuff tonight, Dissident, I Got Shit, Driven To Tears, I Believe In Miracles, the Lukin w/strings was funny, haha!

Gonna See My Friend fucking rocks live! Incredible.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT WEEK!!!!
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Time_BombTime_Bomb Posts: 147
    Just got back from the show. The band was on fire. Eddie seemed to be having a really good time. I never thought I'd hear them do Driven To Tears. Can't wait till next week.

I Believe In Miracles
    Let Me Live So When It's Time To Die Even The Reaper Cries
  • over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    RandR wrote:
    I just don't know if an audience has the "power" to set a mood or an energy level. PJ's audience's feed off the band. Last night's crowd didn't know what hit them. Tremor Christ won't have them pumping their fists.

I often find that the best shows are the ones where most of the crowd has no idea what the fuck is going on.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• t0mMyet0mMye Posts: 821
    RandR wrote:
    I just got home. Sweet ringing in the ear.

Here's what I think about Vedder's comments regarding the energy level of last night's audience:
    I was in both crowds. They were completely different shows with dissimilar reactions.
    Last night's energy level was down, to be sure, when compared to tonight. Add a few Jeremy's, a Daughter and a killer version of the Police's "Driven to Tears" and Monday's audience would have responded.

I loved both shows. #15 and #16 respectively for me.

Took a buddy and his wife to Chicago 2. He is a prettydecent PJ fan but really only knows their main songs. He said the same thing. I they want to get a crowd going start ramping up the main songs..and I have to agree with him. Anyone on this board knows a ton of their stuff but honeslty there are not 15000 PJ fan club members at every show, a lot of people love their stuff and yet know every rare gem. IMyself I'd be happy either way.
    Ten Club # 433608, when I am 80 I will be in the front row!
    Also: "Footsteps" was on the setlist after "Alive," but not played. Last on the setlist, in parentheses, was "Y-Led."

On at 8:38 p.m. Done at 10:45 p.m. Exact same length as last night, but two minutes earlier.

One last thing: I will never figure out how Ten Club tickets are distributed. I am 163xxx. Last night, my Ten Club seats were the farthest section on the side, in the tenth row of the section. Tonight, I had a Ticketmaster ticket in the 13th row center (the odd seat on the end), and the Ten Club people in my row were above 300xxx. I know they are two different shows, but I don't get how 13th row center is considered worse than 10th row all the way on the wing.
  • memememe Posts: 4,693
    BF25394 wrote:
    Ed had many unkind words for last night's crowd, and much praise for tonight's. Does he realize that probably half the people in the theater are the same from last night to tonight? I don't really care for this. A lot of people last night had a great memory, and then they show up tonight and get insulted. Why not just say what a great crowd this is, without denigrating last night's crowd? Now I'll get off the soapbox.

I understand your feelings, but I have learned not to take Ed seriuosly when he says such things. He'll even call "last night audience" assholes (didn't he do this in London, ON 05?). It's most often said tongue in cheek and with much affection and appreciation for any audience.

He'll also often say "see you next year". He is just a damn liar :lol:
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • BF25394 wrote:
    Also: "Footsteps" was on the setlist after "Alive," but not played. Last on the setlist, in parentheses, was "Y-Led."

On at 8:38 p.m. Done at 10:45 p.m. Exact same length as last night, but two minutes earlier.

One last thing: I will never figure out how Ten Club tickets are distributed. I am 163xxx. Last night, my Ten Club seats were the farthest section on the side, in the tenth row of the section. Tonight, I had a Ticketmaster ticket in the 13th row center (the odd seat on the end), and the Ten Club people in my row were above 300xxx. I know they are two different shows, but I don't get how 13th row center is considered worse than 10th row all the way on the wing.

DUDE!!!!!!!! (or dudette? WTF?!?!?!?!?)

I'M OPEN WAS ON THE SETLIST FOR SLC, but not played......how do you think I felt???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
    Dude, I know how you must have felt. There are only six songs I've never seen Pearl Jam play live (among songs from the studio albums that they have actually played live), and "I'm Open" is one of them.
  • finallyfinally Posts: 82
    I wish I was as eloquent as everyone else here but all I can say is that tonight's show was so good that it hurt. I will never ever tire of seeing PJ live.

Thank you so much for "Lukin" - awesome.
  • "it's okay to lose your fucking shit at a rock show".

amazing set. amazing energy. great show.
  • WO83886WO83886 Boston Posts: 61
    Great show, 10 Club hooked it up, ORC 3 row JJ seat 109, Rocked the fuck out per usual.

Lukin with string was fun for the audience, how it translates to the bootlegs and those who were not there remains to be seen. The new stuff really sounds great. I didnt think I wanted a Jeremy but it was loud and full of energy. Alive was perfect as it really got the place rockin as first were flying through the air. Very solid show.
    I want to just address the crowd. Yesterday I mentioned that I thought the crowd didnt match the bands energy and I was surprised. I wasnt trying to upset anyone I was just making a observation about the show. Clearly Eddie acknowledged this tonight with his several comments saying things relating to how he was happy the crowd was more into it tonight. Last nights crowd didn't ruin the show or anything it was just noticeable that there were a lot of people just standing up, thats it. For a pearl jam show, that is rare. Anyway, after 3 or 4 songs in tonight Eddie said (paraphrasing) "it's okay to lose your fucking shit at a rock show". He was almost begging this crowd to lively up and let go, and make use of this incredible venue. The crowd surely responded but I can't help but say it still isn't reaching what he expects. I couldn't help but wanting more too. There were certainly lots of cell phone screens lit and people texting during songs that didnt come out during the 90s and a lot of standing still. I am not complaining, I had a tremendous time and everyone is entitled to do whatever with their experience. But after two shows now it seems that overall people dont wear their heart on their sleeves like in other places around the country. This is not a knock on people from here and certainly not to LA/CA ten clubbers. I know you guys rock, I saw you all last night and tonight. Its the general audience. I am not sure there is anything else to get these people all geared up, i mean eddie was trying to encourage them all night and showered them with praise. It was a great show and the energy was much improved, but it still felt like it was lacking a bit. I hope night 3 and night 4 people are inspired to let loose and rock the F out. If we do the band will certainly reward us. they are begging for this whole crowd to not just stand up but to rock their heads and pump their fists. maybe I expect too much
    __________________________________________________________________________________
    1998 - 9/16 Mansfield
    2000 - 8/29 Mansfield, 8/30 Mansfield
    2003 - 7/2 Mansfield, 7/3 Mansfield, 7/11 Mansfield
    2004 - 9/28 Boston, 9/29 Boston
    2005 - 9/1 Gorge, WA
    2006 - 5/24 Boston, 5/25 Boston, 5/30 Washington D.C.
    2008 - 6/28 Mansfield, 6/30 Mansfield
    2009 - 9/30 Universal City(L.A), 10/1 Universal City(L.A), 10/6 Universal City(L.A), 10/7 Universal City(L.A)
    2010 - 5/3 Kansas City, 5/10 Boston
    2011 - 9/3 East Troy, 9/4 East Troy
    2012 - 9/2 Philly
    2013 - 7/19 Wrigley Field, 10/15 Worcester, 10/16 Worcester, 10/25 Hartford
    2016 - 4/8 Ft. Lauderdale, 5/1 MSG, 8/7 Fenway Park
    2018 - 8/18 Wrigley Field, 9/2 Fenway Park, 9/4 Fenway Park
    2021 - 9/26 Dana Point
    2022 - 9/3 Ottawa

• MeijinMeijin Posts: 51
    All the way back in the back of Section 23 (way, way, way not 10C). Surrounded by a bunch of people who apparently were forced to go to see PJ as some sort of community service or school project, because it was just completely dead. Clear that the crowd was into it but hard to connect through the sea of the bored near me (always a buzzkill).

The main set FLEW by - the whole thing felt very short, but the pacing was super tight and even. In terms of sequencing, I really, really would not change a thing. Everything flowed perfectly. While I personally *enjoyed* LA1 more (doubtless due to 10C seats), I think LA2 was a better show, even though LA1 did have Tremor Christ.

First encore... I dunno, it's almost scripted right now. I love Just Breathe, it hits a note for me. And the Ben/Mike interaction on Red Mosquito was great. (And yeah.. Acoustic Lukin w/ Strings. WTF. Awesome and weird.) But the whole thing - maybe it's a matter of sequence or just convenience - feels downright scripted and as a result the first encore doesn't seem to have the anything could happen vibe. I'm sure I'll see this first encore at least 2x more and maybe for the remaining 3 shows I've got. But I'd love to see something different... Long Road, Dead Man, Off He Goes, Nothingman, All Or None, something different. I was hoping maybe we'd hear Parting Ways or something else that would make use of the string quartet, and maybe 1/2 Full with Ben instead of Red Mosquito.

Second Encore - I thought I saw the mamasan coming, and I was wrong. I was so ready for it.

Closing thought: It never ceases to amaze me how much people FREAK OUT when Yellow Ledbetter is played. Granted, the frequent show-goer, listener, even casual setlist browser knows its ubiquity, but you'd think if you've been to a few shows you've seen it. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. (I'm always hoping for Fuckin' Up)

Highlights
    - RVM
    - Gonna See My Friend
    - Driven To Tears
    - Interstellar Overdrive/Corduroy

And to whoever said "More Binaural"... I can only agree. Plz. Maybe LA3 & LA4 will be deep on Binaural/Yield/No Code. We can hope? :)
  • anez_98anez_98 Posts: 158
    WOW! Thanks 10c club .... second row pit between eddie and mike. holy shite. what an experience. about my 20th show and the closest i've ever been.

Agree this crowd was better and agree it depends on the setlist. both were great but this one had more to get the place going.

incredible show. corduroy as an opener? Fuckin a!

Can't wait for tue/wed/fri next week ... and thom yorke on monday. holy crap. How do i file for bankruptcy?
  • JK109224JK109224 Posts: 558
    To the people complaing about the crowds, and seeing Ed visibly frustrated with the crowds - when you embark on an overall strategy that clearly intends to reach a wider audience then you've got to expect a more diverse range of people at your shows.
    Come to send, not condescend...
  • Allow me to respond to some of the audience criticism...

I was in the nosebleeds last night and in much better seats tonight-- section 13 row f. (NOTE: I am using my Ten Club membership for Wednesday night's tickets next week). The crowd was way WAY better tonight then it was last night, and trust me, it wasn't even that bad last night. Point being, the crowd was off the hook tonight! I am a fairly experienced Pearl Jam concert attendee (9 shows and counting), and every single person near me tonight was going crazy, cheering loudly, dancing, and singing along to every song.

Screw the people on this site who think that tonight's crowd wasn't loud or excited enough. I think people find it too easy to bash LA crowds. Keep in mind-- the audience at the Gibson is only 1/3 the size of a normal arena audience.

Tonight's crowd was fantastic. Everyone around me could tell that Eddie, Jeff and the boys didn't want to call it quits at the end of the night. Tonight's crowd made me proud to be a Pearl Jam fan.
    2013: Baltimore, Los Angeles (1&2), Seattle
    2009: Los Angeles (1,2,3,4)
    2008: Los Angeles (1&2)
    2003: Los Angeles (1&2)
    2000: Maryland
    1998: Washington, DC
  • 4th show for me, MSG I and II last year (the garden was actually shaking), Chicago 1 this year with lousy 10c seats but that really doesn't matter to me. Tonight my girlfriend and I were dead center row CC. Eye to eye with Eddie. I thought this show was unbelievable. Severed hand, I got sh%# and the energy RVM was played with tonight, melted my face. I thought the crowd was tremendous, especially Mike's side. You guys were definitely feeling it. I'm from NY and am used to high energy. I heard rumors that L.A. crowds are more laid back. Not tonight friends. There were some really cool people near me all going crazy. I looked back and saw everyone standing, fists pumping and singing their hearts out. The energy they sensed was completely real. You could see on Eddie's face when we all sung the first part of Betterman that he really appreciated the effort. I want to thank the 10 Club for the best concert experience of my life and thank the best band ever for a night I'll never forget.
  • West15thWest15th Posts: 113
    The previous posts have captured a lot of the night. I'll add my two cents. The band had a lot of energy tonight, particularly Ed. I was in the second row, and could tell how much he was putting into it tonight.

Alive, as usual, was incredible. Ed was all over the stage, diving across it on his knees at one point. He also made it a point to connect with two disabled fans in the front on Stone's side. He's a class act without any doubt.

There were a lot of technical troubles. A few mic changes, a few guitar changes. And at one point, mike, stone and jeff came together mid-song and I could see Mike say, "I can't hear any vocals." Seemed like a problem the whole time.

Stone looked like a 60 year old woman. WTF is up with his hair?

My take on Jazz Oddessy was that its something the band jokes around with at rehearsal. Matt was playing all sorts of different feels and tempos and feels. It wasn't a song per se. You didn't miss much.

As for Lukin with strings... I think that was something special for us in attendance. Without the visual it might be lost.
  • MeijinMeijin Posts: 51
    Screw the people on this site who think that tonight's crowd wasn't loud or excited enough. I think people find it too easy to bash LA crowds. Keep in mind-- the audience at the Gibson is only 1/3 the size of a normal arena audience.

To be clear - it was clear the crowd was into it, I happened to be in an isolated too-cool-for-school pocket. Frequent smoke breaks, standing there making fun of people around them, or standing there with a "I'd rather be home sleeping" look. Had I been about six rows forward it would have been a different experience, but I wasn't so I've gotta say it was a definite buzzkill.

Still trying to figure out something for 10/6 to get out of the very back of the theater.
  • This was a great, great show. I've seen a ton of bands over the years, and I always have this feeling with PJ that the show I'm watching is a one-time-only, organic thing, crafted specifically for that night's crowd. Tonight was no exception. My wife and I both came away feeling like we had been part of a unique and special moment... awesome.

Driven to Tears, I Believe in Miracles - awesome. Jeremy and Alive - felt fresh again! And I particularly enjoyed hearing Severed Hand (as well as the BS songs)

But for me the highlight of the night was Rearview Mirror. It was close to the rails, nearly veering out of control, and it reminded me of the dangerous days... loved it.

Since my wife was with me, I appreciated that there were some of the more "recognizable" songs tonight - but I'm going back on Tuesday, and I'm hoping they'll dig deep into the songlist to pull out some rare gems... I mean, damn, I wouldn't mind a Tremor Christ...
    San Diego 10/25/00
    Irvine 6/03/03
    Los Angeles 7/9/06
    Los Angeles 7/10/06
    Los Angeles 7/12/08 (VH1 Rock Honors the Who)
    Los Angeles 10/01/09
    Los Angeles 4/12/08 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 10/06/09
    MSG 5/20/10
    San Diego 7/5/11 (EV solo)
    Los Angeles 11/23/13
    Los Angeles 11/24/13
    Sao Paulo, Brazil 11/14/15
  • finallyfinally Posts: 82
    To be clear - it was clear the crowd was into it, I happened to be in an isolated too-cool-for-school pocket. Frequent smoke breaks, standing there making fun of people around them, or standing there with a "I'd rather be home sleeping" look.

I was unfortunate to be in one of those "pockets" too - the dude in front of me playing games on his CrackBerry all nite and the chic to the right of me only getting excited during "Alive" and "Betterman" - and that was Orchestra Row TT!
  • googoo Posts: 226
    I just got in. what a great night...... after being on a 6 and 1/2-year hiatus from seeing Pearl Jam live. I've been pacifying myself on DVDs and bootlegs since 2003, and I'm afraid to say I might have jaded myself a bit over the years, but man it was still great seeing them live again. the thing I noticed the most was their energy. for a bunch of guys in their mid-40s, they're playing as hard as they did back in the day. everything sounded so great.... even Eddie's vocals. and that is how I imagined it would. in a live setting where you are actually there, it all sounds so good. it just doesn't come across so well on a CD of the show. but I gotta hand it to Eddie for being able to do some strong singing for almost 3 hours straight... I'm gonna have to take some of the things back I said about his voice being tired and worn out before. I blew my voice out by about the 5th song tonight so I have no room to talk. as far as the setlist goes, I think it's fair to say that it was standard. there was a bit too much Backspacer material played tonight for my taste, and I would've gladly traded 3 or 4 from the new album for some older songs or some of my old favorites. but hey, I finally got to hear Jeremy live. ha ha. and the Androgynous Mind/Corduroy opener was great too. Once was also a surprise for me, and the first thing I noticed about it was that they're playing it in a lower key. met some very cool people before and after the show. oh and did I also mention that we had FRONT ROW tickets? God Bless the 10C and their random seat allocations in rows 1 and 2, regardless of seniority :) but I'm still kinda jealous of the setlist from last night (9/30) and I'm pretty sure I won't get to attend Oct. 6 or 7, so I hope we were lucky enough to get some songs tonight that won't be played the next 2 shows. one last question.... WHY wasn't Footsteps played?? someone said it was on the setlist but it got skipped. anyway hope you all had fun.
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    FRONT
    FUCKING
    ROW!!!
  • SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,924
    norm wrote:
    FRONT
    FUCKING
    ROW!!!

LOL! Norm's head just exploded!

What a fantastic set list, another boot for me! I hate all of you by the way! :mrgreen:
    Nature drunk and High