Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Seems like where PJ goes, KOL follows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMGEt_k643Q

Guys, that's the age range you're going to come across at the shows!
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Hinny wrote:
    Seems like where PJ goes, KOL follows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMGEt_k643Q

Guys, that's the age range you're going to come across at the shows!
    Hahahaha :D

LOL @ the kids in the green shirt :D :eek:
    Take note - drugs are bad....mmmkay.
  • I missed their whole set list waiting for a f@%&!^* ames print at the columbia show back in june and by the time it was my turn to get 1 theysold out man was I pissed.I have to agree there sound and their look is like 2 totally different bands now,but I still like their music though.
  • Fastrichie wrote:
    I saw them last Saturday in Philly at The Electric Factory. Pretty small place. They put on a really good show. Everyone for the most part knew all the words to every song. I'm seeing them at MSG and looking forward to it. But it was cool to see them few times in a small place like that. I only became a fan last year after Lolla. Saw them at a really small place here in CT last year too.
    Still kicking myself in the ass I didn't go to the city to see PJ at all those small shows they played.

I was at this Philly show as well, love the Electric Factory...I also got to see KOL open for PJ at the WPB tour opener last summer. They are good live.

I also agree that their first two albums are much better than the two more recent albums. Too much slow emo crap on the newer albums.
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    Their new album is a little more radio friendly, but I still think its great. They totally deserve recognition in the states and if changing their sound slightly for this album so be it. Hey, the did get nominated for 3 grammy's. I would not at all be surprised if their next album is more rockin', especially after expanding their fan base. Lets face it though, they will always have a few radio friendly songs.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    Yeah I agree their sound has changed completely.

Ive nothing at all against the new stuff but way prefer the first two albums sound
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    what i like most about this thread is the talk about how "big" KOL have become, and how they have "Sold Out"

now sold out is a term i never really understood, well in this context mainly. i understand that if a band start giving their music to Mcdonald's, car companies, ect. to use for advertising they have "Sold Out" but really, who doesn't want a free car?

but anyway, so a band grows, changes their sound, whatever, and they become more popular or mainstream, they have sold out?

i don't get it, isn't it basically everyone's goal to become successfully? whether you are in a band or you have a normal regular type job. your goal is to have a successful career, and make money and not get fired. so the better at your job, the more money you make, the less chance to get your arse fired.

now, to relate it all back to KOL, or music in general, isn't it every kids dream who ever picked up a guitar or drumsticks, whatever, to become a fucking rockstar? or at least to make music that gets heard? now to do this successfully you gotta get you music heard by the masses. i don't believe any band or artist who says it's just about making music, if that was the case you'd be making music in your garage and giving your cds to your mates.

in regards to KOL becoming huge, i would much rather have the kids who listen to mainstream radio or watch the music video programs to be hearing a KOL song, or similar, then rocking out to the new britney spears.

hell if more bands like KOL made it big, maybe all the manufactured pop crap would fuck off and die.

/Rant.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • Nice rant fishy! Some good points there.

PS: I still don't like KOL :s but still glad to see them finally getting more recognition.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    what i like most about this thread is the talk about how "big" KOL have become, and how they have "Sold Out"

now sold out is a term i never really understood, well in this context mainly. i understand that if a band start giving their music to Mcdonald's, car companies, ect. to use for advertising they have "Sold Out" but really, who doesn't want a free car?

but anyway, so a band grows, changes their sound, whatever, and they become more popular or mainstream, they have sold out?

i don't get it, isn't it basically everyone's goal to become successfully? whether you are in a band or you have a normal regular type job. your goal is to have a successful career, and make money and not get fired. so the better at your job, the more money you make, the less chance to get your arse fired.

now, to relate it all back to KOL, or music in general, isn't it every kids dream who ever picked up a guitar or drumsticks, whatever, to become a fucking rockstar? or at least to make music that gets heard? now to do this successfully you gotta get you music heard by the masses. i don't believe any band or artist who says it's just about making music, if that was the case you'd be making music in your garage and giving your cds to your mates.

in regards to KOL becoming huge, i would much rather have the kids who listen to mainstream radio or watch the music video programs to be hearing a KOL song, or similar, then rocking out to the new britney spears.

hell if more bands like KOL made it big, maybe all the manufactured pop crap would fuck off and die.

/Rant.

their sound has become manufactured and somewhat pop though....
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • LCLC North Andover, MA Posts: 253
    I'm the definition of casual fan but had a free ticket to the show in Boston tonite. In prep for the show, I watched YouTube clips of Ed with them on 'Slow Night, So Long' and that was the 2nd song tonite...great tune.
    8-29-00 Mansfield, 6-29-03 Montreal, 7-2-03 Mansfield, 7-3-03 Mansfield, 7-11-03, Mansfield, 9-28-04 Boston, 9-29-04 Boston, 10-8-04 Kissimmee, 9-15-05 Montreal, 9-16-05 Ottawa, 5-12-06 Albany, 5-13-06 Hartford, 5-24-06 Boston, 5-25-06 Boston, 6-28-08, Mansfield, 6-30-08 Mansfield, 5-15-10 Hartford, 5-17-10 Boston, 7-19-13 Chicago, 10-15-13 Worcester, 5-2-16 New York City, 8-5-16 Boston, 8-7-16 Boston
    EV- 2008, 2011 Boston
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    LC said:

I'm the definition of casual fan but had a free ticket to the show in Boston tonite. In prep for the show, I watched YouTube clips of Ed with them on 'Slow Night, So Long' and that was the 2nd song tonite...great tune.

How was the show? I'm seeing them int Toronto tomorrow.
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,203
    I really like them. Compare them to alot of what's already out there,Very Talented Band!
  • Mawky1103Mawky1103 Posts: 309
    They are awesome. Aha Shake Heartbreak is a masterpiece.
  • DL136722DL136722 Not sure... Posts: 635
    The Boston show was fantastic! Solid 26 song set, under 2 hrs, great mix of new and old material!
    Tweeter Center - Aug 29, 2000;Tweeter Center - Aug 30, 2000;Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000;Pepsi Arena - Apr 29, 2003;Bryce-Jordan Center - May 03, 2003;Bell Center - Jun 29, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 02, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 03, 2003;Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 05, 2003;Tweeter Center at the Waterfront - Jul 06, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 08, 2003;Madison Square Garden - Jul 09, 2003;TD Banknorth Garden - May 24, 2006;TD Banknorth Garden - May 25, 2006;Fleet Center - Sept 28, 2004;Fleet Center - Sept 29, 2004;Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 New England Dodge Music Arena - May 13, 2006;Grant Park - Aug 05, 2007;Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008;Dodge Music Center - Jun 27, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008;Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008 XL Arena - May 15, 2010;TD Garden - May 17, 2010;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sept 03, 2011;Alpine Valley Music Theatre - Sep 04, 2011 Corel Centre - Sep 16, 2005;Colisee Pepsi Arena - Sep 20, 2005; Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 15, 2013; DCU Center - Oct 16, 2013; Fenway Park - August 5, 2016; Fenway Park - August 7, 2016

Oh Dude!
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    Any one have a pair for sale for MSG?
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Toronto show was good but it didn't blow the doors off or anything. KOL has become waaaay too predictable. Never mind that the set lists don't change from show to show but the songs pretty much mirror the album versions note for note...not an extended jam to be found.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    BS44325 said:

Toronto show was good but it didn't blow the doors off or anything. KOL has become waaaay too predictable. Never mind that the set lists don't change from show to show but the songs pretty much mirror the album versions note for note...not an extended jam to be found.

Yea. Def not known for their stage energy lol
  • I love this band. Have since Aha, Shake, Heartbreak. Haven't been able to catch them live, though. Have to say I'm not a huge fan of WALLS. It's fine, but it's definitely the biggest departure from their sound. I miss the driving rhythm guitar tracks and punchy drums heard on their other albums. For me, WALLS is their most "Pop-friendly" record and that's just not my thing. That said, Caleb's vocals are still exceptional. He's at a really good place with his writing and his performance on the album really carries it. He proved that he can absolutely carry a pop-rock album with his vocals, but that's just not the KoL that I love. I really like Conversation Piece, and there's a couple others that I like. I'll listen to it again, especially over the next year. But it won't be a staple of their collection for me. Skipping the Chicago show. Will wait til a future tour to see them live.
  • KOL...The first time I heard "red morning light" is a time I will never forget. It struck my soul!!! Youth and manhood and Ah shake are high on my list of favorites. I have seen them several times from Dallas at the Gypsy tea room (awesome sweaty shows) to seeing them at the gorge. I enjoyed their follow up albums and always had hope that they would keep their edge much like PJ has over the years. I have been accused of being a KOL hater over the years and have vouched to never see them again live. Same set list at every show, uninspired energy from the band...I just don't get it. What happened to them? Selling out to the record label? It is too bad, they were one of my favorite bands and now they seem to be a shell of their old self.

Stepping off my soapbox now.
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Trailmix said:

KOL...The first time I heard "red morning light" is a time I will never forget. It struck my soul!!! Youth and manhood and Ah shake are high on my list of favorites. I have seen them several times from Dallas at the Gypsy tea room (awesome sweaty shows) to seeing them at the gorge. I enjoyed their follow up albums and always had hope that they would keep their edge much like PJ has over the years. I have been accused of being a KOL hater over the years and have vouched to never see them again live. Same set list at every show, uninspired energy from the band...I just don't get it. What happened to them? Selling out to the record label? It is too bad, they were one of my favorite bands and now they seem to be a shell of their old self.

Stepping off my soapbox now.

I agree Mate, I got into KOLK through a friend who loved Youth and Young Manhood and AHA had just come out. Saw them live in support of PJ in 2006 and then Because of the Times came out. As musc as I love their first 2 album, BOTT is my favourite. Saw that tour in 2008 and they were awesome live, absolutely ripped the stage apart that night.
    When Only by The Night came out, I didn't mind it, had some very solid songs on it (especially Crawl and Cold Desert), and when they toured I went to the show. Never been so disappointed with a live show. No energy and they looked pissed that they had a huge following of poppy young teenagers and were completely disinterested. After that night, I vowed never to see them live again. I have continued to listen to their new releases and I have really liked a few songs off each new album, but there is a lot of filler in their new stuff for me. Very generic pop rock songs.
    I don't want to be one of those guys that says I liked them better before, but their music has changed sooo much from their early albums, its like 2 different bands. I get that bands change, from their 1st album to BOTT was a huge change and I still loved both of those albums, and I appreciate it when bands mature and change sounds for the better, but they are peddling out corporate music now, with no ticker and they are very stale live
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    KoL are coming to Jacksonville tomorrow. I still haven't bought tickets...still up in the air about it. I used to really be into them (first three albums) but have enjoyed songs off of their follow-up albums too. Plus, I'm a fan of the opener - Dawes. 

Has anyone seen them this tour?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • LukinFan said:
    KoL are coming to Jacksonville tomorrow. I still haven't bought tickets...still up in the air about it. I used to really be into them (first three albums) but have enjoyed songs off of their follow-up albums too. Plus, I'm a fan of the opener - Dawes. 

Yes. Saw them this summer in Chicago. I’m a big fan of all their albums, which puts me in the minority.  I thought the show was fantastic and I’d go again again in a heartbeat.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    LukinFan said:

Yes. Saw them this summer in Chicago. I’m a big fan of all their albums, which puts me in the minority.  I thought the show was fantastic and I’d go again again in a heartbeat.
    They sounded great last night, so did the Dawes. Crowd was really into it for a Wednesday night and I got two cheap tickets outside the venue from a scalper. Great night all around. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited October 2017
    I saw Kings in LA sometime around 2010 I think.
    But what I thought was funny was Virginia Beach, 2008 was my wife's first PJ show, 3 years before we even met. Been wanting to get that poster for her. Its popped up for a pretty good price several times, but was always a bad budget month and never pulled the trigger.
    Since then I've taken her to PJ20, Wrigley and Denver.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Anyone heard anything about them adding european dates when they come to play the UK festivals in august?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    edited April 2018
    https://youtu.be/kP0ebu6MX6k
    Great song no matter whether you like them or not this version is a beauty..
    Post edited by josevolution on
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • nycmalenycmale Posts: 199
    Long shot but any chance anyone has 2 extras for the show in NYC next Friday 8/3? Thanks in advance!
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    https://youtu.be/kP0ebu6MX6k
    Great song no matter whether you like them or not this version is a beauty..
    That is one of their best. I really do miss their sound off Because of the Times. Their first 3 albums are all killer, no filler
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014