*** Outside Lands Festival Fanviews Here 8/28/09 ***

Comments

• tchiggs wrote:
    Honestly, I can't say enough about the Pearl Jam community. From Eugene Ed to Sacto Monica to Quebec Catherine to Australian Alex to Knoxville Brian to Jack the Bong Ripper and his not wife, and the SF blonde girl behind me (can't remember her name :( ) You all were very awesome people to be around all day.

(I'm the blonde one from SF-- my name is Sarah, by the way!) But yes!! The community of kick-ass fans around me at the show, at the pre party, and at the post-party--- you all made the day that much more amazing! THANK YOU! :D

Excellent show! Ed sounded great, despite voice issues, and Mike rocked out hard on our side- and you couldn't have asked for better weather in SF. The setlist was a little too "greatest hits" for me, but it's a festival show after all, and it really didn't matter- the guys still rocked out and I loved every minute of it (except being kicked in the head once or twice).

And the post-party was so much fun!! We literally took over the jukebox, to the annoyance of the non-PJ patrons, and only played Pearl Jam songs most of the night! Whoo!
  • As usual, Pearl Jam never let down. I always love Pearl Jam for mixing up their setlist at every concert, something that helps them stand apart from so many touring acts today. Last night marked my third show and first festival show. IMO, the setlist was great but very geared toward the casual and first-time listeners - in talking around the crowd, many people were just that. Why Go set the tone perfectly for the night and it was definitely a rockin' set. Most of the hits and singalongs were played. There were few surprises throughout the night... I was surprised there was not a single tag to be found. Low Light and In My Tree were both awesome... Ed and I shared the same sentiments about how beautiful the evening was. All the covers were first-class - particularly Throw Your Hatred Down. I was bummed to miss Ed's comment at the beginning of the second encore how the place looks like Encinada or Encinitas since I'm from Carlsbad... I thought he said something about Amsterdam? I'll look forward to seeing them next month in LA on a fresh new tour... hopefully by then Eddie's voice will be recovered! :D
    San Diego 10/25/00; San Diego 07/07/06; EdVed-SD 04/15/08; San Francisco 08/28/09; Los Angeles 10/07/09; San Diego 10/09/09
  • MeijinMeijin Posts: 51
    Show #10 for me - first one since SF night 3 in '06 (not counting the Pauley Pavillion thing for The Who)

Got there early but the sun was merciless so I headed off to hide in what little shade was available during Autolux; came back for Built to Spill, and then grabbed some food during Silversun. Started making my way up during Silversun on Mike's stage, after the lurch of fans leaving post-Incubus I somehow wound up in front of the guys on Mike's side with the Swedish Chef on a stick.

Closest I've ever been for a PJ show (my #'s 288xxx, but I'm not complaining) and it was an entirely different world. I don't think I've ever been on Mike's side either, I usually got Stone's side or more centered for my 10C tickets. It was great - I hardly remember the show because I was just locked in on what was going on. I saw a pick fight between Mike and Jeff at one point (looks like Jeff tried to zip one to the crowd, it got caught by the wind and hit Mike, who turns around and zings one back at Jeff... I think Jeff might have shot one more at Mike). Great energy all around it seemed.

I wasn't expecting Why Go as an opener but knew they were gonna come out big. That was a great way to start things. My highlights were Why Go, Save You, MFC, Go, and DTE - just seemed to really nail it at those points. Loved the setlist, more high energy and fitting the vibe of the day. I could have gone for maybe Life Wasted or WWS though. :D Thought I was gonna get it with Wasted Reprise (Wasted Reprise->Life Wasted kills me so Reprise is always an electric bit of anticipation.

I almost caught a pick - lost it in the dark for a second while it was flying, felt it bounce off my shirt and then it hit the ground and I was too beat to dive into the scrum.

I heard "The place looks like Amsterdam, smells like Amsterdam, good on ya" instead of Encinitas.

Not a lot of specific memories, just a great vibe, good crowd where I was at, and excited about the next set of shows for me - LA 1 through 4.
  • ElzarElzar Posts: 966
    dieguito96 wrote:
    ... I thought he said something about Amsterdam? :D

"is lookin like Amsterdam! SMELLS like Amsterdam!"

I think thats what he said
  • Hope everyone had a blast at the fest. My little brother flew in from Jacksonville and we will both be back for La nights 3 & 4 plus San Diego. But what's all this I'm hearing about "In My Tree" being suddenly back in the setlist? Sure its a pretty rare treat but Matt has been playing that song with them as long as he has been with the band. Don't believe me? Go peruse the setlists from the Binaural tour and check fo yo self son! The man can play pretty much whatever he wants. !Viva El Cameron!
  • It was a solid show in my opinion. Ed's voice struggled at times, but he pulled through. Mike was on fire. He was engaging the crowd on his side throughout the night. I was about 10 rows back on Mike's side, and the crowd was great. Ed even said at one point that he didn't understand what the crowd was saying, but it was really loud. Maybe the crowd wasn't as good further back, but maybe that's what you get at a festival.

I agree that it was a little bit of a greatest hits show, but that's ok with me. Throw in Low Light, In My Tree, MFC, Real Me, and Throw Your Hatred Down and you get a pretty good mix of songs. The duel at the end of Crazy Mary was awesome. Even Flow might have been the best version I've seen.

All in all, a great day from start to finish. The unusally warm SF weather definitely helped.
    MSG 9/11/98, Jones Beach 8/24/00, MSG 7/8/03, MSG 7/9/03, DC 5/30/06, Outside Lands 8/28/09, Bridge School 10/23/10, EV Oakland 7/11/11, Oakland 11/26/13
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Elzar wrote:
    boroff89 wrote:
    When all you have to go on is the first few rows, that's the perspective you're going to have. I had a broader perspective. The crowd stunk. Same thing happened at Shoreline during the Riot Act tour. Yes, the first ten rows or so were great. The rest of the crowd might as well not have been there.
    quote]

well........i guess if you wanted to, you could have showed up earlier like all of us up front to get a better seat and better crowd around you. I suffered through the sun because i wasnt going to sit a mile back. I bet the crowd sucked way back there. So i think you should change yours to "the crowd sucked where i was sitting".
    I was at the 06 shows, and i'm not going to compare a festival show to a full PJ gig. so im just saying where i sat i was plenty happy. Maybe next time have a few beers and just enjoy the show? ::scratching head::

Haha. You are completely missing the point. I was there at 2:30 in the VIP section and never moved. Had a great, unobstructed view with some very nice and enthusiastic people around me. The crowd did not suck around me. I am speaking about the crowd as a whole. Again, deathly silence during the encore breaks. Crickets chirping. Most of the people behind you were just standing there the entire time. I know you couldn't see that, but I could. I am not trying to take away from your good time, nor did I have a bad time. I loved it and was singing and rocking out the whole night. I had a great time. I always do when I see Pearl Jam. And I don't need beers to do that. Again, I am speaking objectively as someone who has seen Pearl Jam many, many times. You are taking what I am saying in completely the wrong way.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,686
    boroff89 wrote:
    About the crowd being lame. It was hot in the city and being on you feet for 8 hours is rough but I was doing my part. I was in front so not sure about the back.

It isn't just that. Bay Area concert crowds suck when they get above 8000 people or so. Bill Graham worked because it was mostly just the dedicated and hardcore that came (as only 8000 could get in). The last time they played Shoreline, the crowd was horrendous as well. There just isn't a huge Pearl Jam following here. The people that show up to bigger shows are casual fans there to hear Jeremy. It is also just part of the Bay Area mentality. Care-free. Disproportionate number of apathetic potheads who really aren't passionate about anything, other than getting high.

It was amazing to me when I traveled out of the area to see Pearl Jam shows. Vancouver. Philly. So much more intensity from the larger crowds.

I agree. Even Ed commented on how the crowd was down at Shoreline in 2003.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,686
    boroff89 wrote:
    When all you have to go on is the first few rows, that's the perspective you're going to have. I had a broader perspective. The crowd stunk. Same thing happened at Shoreline during the Riot Act tour. Yes, the first ten rows or so were great. The rest of the crowd might as well not have been there.

Pearl Jam's performance was really good. I enjoyed the set and was thrilled to be there. But in the spectrum of Pearl Jam shows I've attended, it is closer to the bottom than to the top. That still puts it well above most of the concerts I've seen (and I've seen many). Again, it doesn't come close to the Bill Graham shows.

As for there being a huge Pearl Jam following in the Bay Area, I firmly disagree. They struggled to sellout Shoreline during the Riot Act tour. That does not represent a huge following. Talk to the people back east to get a better understanding of this. Boston represents a huge following. Philly. Chicago. Seattle. The Bay Area is a bizarre place musically. It isn't an indictment of Pearl Jam. The Bay Area is just its own bizarre animal.

Again, I agree with you. I thought you made a really good point about the Bill Graham shows and once it gets above 8000 people.

The Riot Act Shoreline show was my first 10 Club seats and I was in the 200 level. The crowd (outside of me, of course) was pretty lame at that show. The show itself was fantastic though and the first Bill Graham show is the best concert I have ever been to.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    mjb wrote:
    anyone check out that special Ames Bros booth? Weren't they selling some shirts and other merch?

Yea the Ames booth was selling a PJ T-shirt with the same design of their limited edition snake board poster print. Very nice shirt and quality but the sizes run tad bit small FYI. I bought a large and I'm glad I did because it fits me more like a medium but it's still roomy enough for me to wear.

Peace,

RM
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    mjb wrote:
    anyone check out that special Ames Bros booth? Weren't they selling some shirts and other merch?

Yea the Ames booth was selling a PJ T-shirt with the same design of their limited edition snake board poster print. Very nice shirt and quality but the sizes run tad bit small FYI. I bought a large and I'm glad I did because it fits me more like a medium but it's still roomy enough for me to wear.

Peace,

RM

I posted some pics in the 2009 Goods thread if anyone wants to take a look.

I can try and stop by today and take a few more. Yesterday was just too packed with music.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    boroff89 wrote:
    My 15th Pearl Jam show. I had special guest passes that afforded me an amazing view. But before getting into Pearl Jam, Incubus sucked? Someone said that? Wow. They were fantastic, as always, in spite of the fact that Brandon was so sick he looked like he was going to faint. Silversun Pickups, Incubus, and Pearl Jam makes for a good night.

As for Pearl Jam, definitely a rocking setlist that featured a lot of their well-known songs with a few surprises mixed in. I was thrilled to hear In My Tree, and it did sound tight (no Boom in this version). I thought Mike was especially on. His behind-the-head solo in Evenflow was outstanding. Ed commented that the current tour had kicked his ass and that he was upset that his voice/throat weren't what they usually were. I didn't really start to notice until later in the set. He couldn't sing Crazy Mary at all by the time they got there. Definitely struggling. My biggest issue though was with the crowd. During the encore breaks, crickets. Very little energy throughout the set, excepting the sing-alongs on Betterman and Evenflow. I kept expecting Ed to say something about it. It was just an incredibly lame crowd. For me, it's hard for a show to be considered great without a great crowd. I'd say the show was average and certainly nowhere near the 3 Bill Graham shows during the last tour.

I totally agree with you on the crowd making the "total" show experience. And yes anyone of the 3 Bill Graham shows top this show for me as well. But that is not to say that I didn't enjoy myself at this show because I honestly really did. But I think that's because being a tad bit older and having experienced many "festival" type shows in the past I kind of knew what to expect and didn't put to many lofty goals on the setlist or the energy of the crowd.

I got pretty much exactly what I expected and that was a solid PJ show after 3 years with some nice nuggets mixed in the setlist (agree that it was nice to hear IMT) with a large sea of people in the audience who where probably not there solely just to see PJ play that evening. But you can never go wrong on a balmy 80 degree night in the city listening to the greatest band on earth!!

Another reason this show (my 25th overall) was special was because a couple weeks before hand I experienced a health related life changing moment that landed me in the hospital for 4 days and out of work for the past few weeks and I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to make it to this show. Luckily everything turned out well for me and I recovered quicker than anticipated and was able to not miss this show. Hearing "Alive" was truly a moment for me that took on a whole new meaning.

Bring on San Diego in Oct. now!!!

Peace...

RM
  • krzzzymarykrzzzymary Posts: 458
    RM - what the heck happened to you? :o
    You better make it to San Diego.
    Glad to hear you are doing good now ..... and glad you were able to make the show yesterdat :D
    "You can bomb the world to pieces but you can't bomb into peace"
    Michael Franti
  • Last night in San Fran was a solid show. Weather was warm and made my new hoodie useless for the night. After two nights in Chicago that were amongst the best of the 50+ PJ I have attended, I was hoping for some Polo Fields redemption. I was there in 1995 in the blistering heat to watch Ed sing a handful of songs then puke his guts out and leave with food poisoning. I did find the Ames Bros tent and it was awesome to meet Barry and Colby and have them personalize my poster book. I bought their $80 bundle which include a signed green book, limited signed poster, t-shirt and a PJ tote bag. Prettty smokin' deal for $80!!! Only downer was trying to get out of the park and on a public bus. We watched 5 full buses drive right by and not stop. It was frustrating...we eventually decided to walk the 6 miles back to the car up and down many hills. It was a work out that I did not want to do at midnight but taxis and buses were a joke. Many people riding the Bart were stranded in San Fran since they did not get back to the Bart Station before it closed at midnight. I still have 10 more shows to hit this tour so I am sure I am up for some type of adventure in Seattle, LA, San Diego and Phili!!! See you all around the bend...
  • BE9456BE9456 Posts: 145
    edited August 2009
    I knew what I was in for, but who cares its a PJ show. I expected the following and got them...

- Teenage douchbag meatheads moshing to fucking Betterman! Idiots. Yo, douche with the dreads, please die.
    - Greatest hits setlist. Betterman followed by Daughter yuck.
    - Not being surrounded by ten clubers is always weird, not many knew the claps, or chants.

I wasn't expecting the following...

- Throw your hatred down.
    - In My Tree
    - Ed's voice was fucked. Even he couldn't believe it.
    - Constant variable. Ed must have change at least 4 songs from the setlist.
    - FINDING A MIKE PICK!!! FUCK YAH!
    Post edited by BE9456 on
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    Setlist, how they played this but didn't play that...how the opener should have been this or that....That's all been covered. So, I just wanna say:

MCREADY FUCKING ROCKS AND ISN'T AFRAID TO SHOW HIS LOVE FOR HIS AUDIENCE!
    Vedder, please please take some time off and take care of that voice.
    Stone, now that you have the hair, you think you're the prettiest don't you? :) More power to you!
    Jeff, love the checkered bass :)
    MATT, just three words: IN MY TREE!!
    Boom, Crazy Mary would feel lonely without you.

Most importantly: My friends with whom I shared the rail! YOU ALL ARE AWESOME AND I CAN'T WAIT TO ROCK WITH YOU AGAIN SOON!
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
    BE9456 wrote:
    I knew what I was in for, but who cares its a PJ show. I expected the following and got them...

1. Teenage douchbag meatheads moshing to fucking Betterman! Idiots. Yo, douche with the dreads, please die.
    2. Greatest hits setlist. Betterman followed by Daughter yuck.
    3. Not being surrounded by ten clubers is always weird, not many knew the claps, or chants.

1. Throw your hatred down.
    2. In My Tree
    3. Ed's voice was fucked. Even he couldn't believe it.
    4. FINDING A MIKE PICK!!! FUCK YAH!

Well, we were all there, where the hell were you? :D

#standingman #duranadam
  • BE9456BE9456 Posts: 145
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    BE9456 wrote:

1. Teenage douchbag meatheads moshing to fucking Betterman! Idiots. Yo, douche with the dreads, please die.
    2. Greatest hits setlist. Betterman followed by Daughter yuck.
    3. Not being surrounded by ten clubers is always weird, not many knew the claps, or chants.

1. Throw your hatred down.
    2. In My Tree
    3. Ed's voice was fucked. Even he couldn't believe it.
    4. FINDING A MIKE PICK!!! FUCK YAH!

Well, we were all there, where the hell were you? :D

15 feet from Mike.
    blueoceans wrote:
    tchiggs wrote:
    Honestly, I can't say enough about the Pearl Jam community. From Eugene Ed to Sacto Monica to Quebec Catherine to Australian Alex to Knoxville Brian to Jack the Bong Ripper and his not wife, and the SF blonde girl behind me (can't remember her name :( ) You all were very awesome people to be around all day.

(I'm the blonde one from SF-- my name is Sarah, by the way!) But yes!! The community of kick-ass fans around me at the show, at the pre party, and at the post-party--- you all made the day that much more amazing! THANK YOU! :D

Excellent show! Ed sounded great, despite voice issues, and Mike rocked out hard on our side- and you couldn't have asked for better weather in SF. The setlist was a little too "greatest hits" for me, but it's a festival show after all, and it really didn't matter- the guys still rocked out and I loved every minute of it (except being kicked in the head once or twice).

And the post-party was so much fun!! We literally took over the jukebox, to the annoyance of the non-PJ patrons, and only played Pearl Jam songs most of the night! Whoo!

I can't believe you didn't count me in :(

#standingman #duranadam
  • tchiggs wrote:
    Started the morning off at 6am, drove from SacTown, arrived a little before 8. As I was walking trying to find the entrance a female staff member told me I was going the wrong way. I knew my map said there was an entrance past her but she insisted that I turn around. I asked if she was sure, she replied, "whhat you callin me a liar, ok i'm a liar now." I kept walking where I thought the entrance was, luckily met some nice people who had been at the entrance since 4am, I got to stick with all day....Jack the bong ripper and "not his wife" Awesome people.

Anyway, sit in the blistering heat for 4 hours until noon when they opened the doors, the ladys scanner wouldn't work but I wanted front row so I just bolted past her.... :D

Got front row Mike and Jeff side. My first time in the front row. Honestly at the point where I secured front row that damn sun couldn't go down fast enough. I rocked out as Mike just shredded all night long. I haven't been to a PJ show since 03 and I realized last night how much I missed it. I think I'm going to try and do the rest of the tour.

Even though Ed's voice was shot, it was cool he came down off the stage. I thought overall it was an amazing night.

Oh and the lady that told me I was going the wrong way, she saw me in line and apologized that she gave me bad info.....

It was indeed a great time. You did forget one thing and that was my bag of bagels. :)
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • that bagel saved my life at the end of incubus....
    Kansas City 1998, Kansas City 2000, EV- Santa Cruz 2008, EV- Berkeley #1 2008, EV- Berkeley #2 2008, Outside Lands 2009, Seattle #2 2009, Portland 2009, LA #3 2009, LA #4 2009, SD 2009, KC 2010, STL 2010, CBUS 2010, Indy 2010, Cle 2010, Buffalo 2010, Boston 2010, Newark 2010, MSG 1 2010, MSG 2 2010, PJ20 1 2011, PJ20 2 2011, Midtown 2012, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013, OKC 2013, STL 2014, Tulsa 2014, Lincoln 2014.
  • Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    Most importantly: My friends with whom I shared the rail! YOU ALL ARE AWESOME AND I CAN'T WAIT TO ROCK WITH YOU AGAIN SOON!

it was a pleasure to share the rtail with you too. They fucking rocked last night, mike melted faces, ed could use some herbal tea on the old voice, classic festival set list with some ridiculous rarities too. Thank God for Pearl Jam. End.
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,539
    boroff89 wrote:
    My 15th Pearl Jam show. I had special guest passes that afforded me an amazing view. But before getting into Pearl Jam, Incubus sucked? Someone said that? Wow. They were fantastic, as always, in spite of the fact that Brandon was so sick he looked like he was going to faint.
    ¨

Incubus is a great live band. Seen em 4 times and they can rock pretty hard!
    BE9456 wrote:

- Teenage douchbag meatheads moshing to fucking Betterman! Idiots. Yo, douche with the dreads, please die.
    - Greatest hits setlist. Betterman followed by Daughter yuck.

Sounds like a great time to me. You gotta work with what they give you. A greatest hits setlist is nothing to sneeze at, their best songs.
    I will swallow poison
  • gohikegohike Posts: 31
    It was my 50th show anniversary! What made it more special? My very first show was Golden Gate Park, June 24, 1995! 14 years and some change ago! In the mean time, I've traveled around the united states, made good friends, some great friends, and have 50 special memories.

In the past 14 years, I've been front row a few times, have a few of mikes picks, and one of Jeffs, one of Ed's tambourines, was able to witness 2003's MSG shows, drove to Santa Barbara and back in one night in 2003 (and went to work the next day, having slept for 2 hours), have countless posters, tapes (remember XL2's?), CD's, DVD's, and other memorabilia, can boast I saw Pearl Jam atleast once a year for 9 straight years, etc...

Yesterday, when i dropped into the park, I remembered like it was yesterday the feeling I had when I looked across the Polo Fields to the stage 14 years ago. I was introduced to Bad Religion, and despite it being scorching hot (much like yesterday), it was a day that changed my life as I knew it then. I never could imagine the tales/adventures/trials and tribulations/and musical bliss that would forever change my life that fateful day, 14 years ago.

Yes, yesterday was a festival setlist. I expected that. What I didn't expect was 26 songs in 2 hours! Yes, I would have enjoyed more new stuff, but I can wait for Seattle and LA to hear it. It was a magical night, one that I relived 14 years earlier a lot during the day/evening!

Looking forward to 50 more in the next 14 years!
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Oh man, Ed was right.
    I ate the Brown Acid.

That was funny! "A public service announcement: Don't eat the Brown Acid. The mushrooms are ok though!" And greeting us all as "Hey Amsterdam! Well, it smells like that...." Ahhh, West Coast! (Potnik, you've stolen all my recall! Good post! But I think he said Amsterdam, not Encinitas...)

So yeah, I musta been right behind this whole West Coast crew, and apologies PJG, SOLAT et al, I was doin the whole solo "trip" thing. I was stage Mike about eight folks back for Built to Spill (OH MY! Ed also mentioned them by name) but then went to catch The Dodos (OH MY) and took a nice long nap behind the AV tent for Silversun Pickup (Nice, but I liked Built to Spill more, f'n surprised the shit outta me -- but ABSOLUTELY no stage presence heheheh). I hadn't studied the schedule and really wanted to see Tom Jones and Thievery, that was really my biggest dissapointmentt of the night, was hoping to ride a lil' trance right into the the jam. Tom was on another stage to Incubus and Thievery Corp was the "headline" against PJ. Sigh. Made sense though -- can only imagine what that scene was like as the sun set....

The front of the main stage was completely split by a huge PLUS sign barrier that went from center stage back to the AV Tent with two extensions sticking into either side - making for like 4 distinct sections up front. So you hadda pick Mike or Stone.

At that point, I guessed most folks streaming in would head for Stage Mike so I chose Stage Stone and made my way to PLUS extension for Incubus - found a whole section of ladies in Eddie Solo shirts (I went subtle, just the "23" pin on the back of the cap.) Incubus fans were certainly in numbers, enjoyed 'em myself. Very rockin, surprised his pants didn't fall off...

Then got in front of the PLUS barrier and worked toward the rail before PJ, got within about 15 folks of Stone. Dude next to me called Why Go (I had Wash) and then yeah, festival greatest hits but c'mon, IN MY TREE! Low Light, MFC, Hatred, they certainly tossed in some gems for the 10C core! Beautiful.

Yeah, Ed was just givin up on some howls, he wanted to hold notes and just couldn't, backin' off shakin his head (Lowlight he did ok)-- his sing along soccer chant was pathetic off key and horrific, but so much fun! Man, BLACK it looked like Ed was trying to work out a tag, and then nuthin.... through one fade out, we kept it going, he came back tried "Yeah yeah... I know I know...."

New stuff fits in great.
    Matt can play IMT, period.
    Real Me was awesome live, omg!

For all that, f'n MIKE! He was freakin on fire, Ed even saying "I don't know what Mike's gonna do for 3 weeks if he can't do this!" As has been said in the thread: Personal Highlight: MIKE! OMG!

Yeah weather was a bit hot at first but sweet jesus, just awesome through the sunset, shorts and t-shirt worked all night! I'll second the crickets in the crowd 'tween songs. But most of us were just at the limit by 9:00 (Again, I blame the Brown Acid.) Plenty of singing all night though - at least around the plus barrier.

Pissed at Jeff that he wouldn't pick up the fine for playing past curfew!!! But that was neat Ed just pointing at his wrist (watch) and shrugging and sighin' as he left the stage at 9:52.

Two solid Hours of Pearl Jam!
    Now Bring On Our West Coast Tour!

And oh, as I was driving in, I just decided, "Well, I'll have to park on 23rd."
    And of course I'm kidding up top, all I ate was an awesome Nimman Ranch Burger with a glass or three of vino!
    [sic] happens
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    edited August 2009
    Review by Wilds

So I had the fortune of scheduling myself to work the week of the 28th in Emeryville, CA, just across the bay from San Fran.

With four shows to attend in LA, and 1 in San Diego, I began on my Pearl Jam journey to Golden Gate park fully anticipating a kick ass greatest hits show, and the boys delivered with icing on top.

My adventure began on Craigslist where I scoured the internet swap meet all week for a great deal on a 1 day ticket. I had been anticipating a 1/2 price ticket by show time and I just missed getting a couple great bargains. By Friday the market was heavily favored in on the sellers side, and getting a below face value ticket was not in the cards.

I took off from work at 1:30pm with no ticket in hand, finger in the air, hoping for a miracle. After about an hour of this foolishness I threw down my credit card and walked into the venue with 1 fully priced $100.00 admission.

I walked in past the very affordable local only cuisine, and memories of a nightmarish overly priced Woodstock 99 made me chuckle at how great the vibe at this festival was going to be. Not to say there wasn't a heavy corporate influence, from MLB batting cages, some type of Toyota car tent, and a really cool Intel tent. (More on that later). But the farmers market really lent to a healthy balance of big business and organic locals.

I walked in right as the Silversun Pickups picked up on the main stage. As a solo festival goer, I was there for 1 reason only, to get my PJ fix, (Sampling some new bands, was just a nice bonus). With that said, I didn't fully immerse in any one act, but rather put my feet to use bouncing from one stage to another.

Silversun Pickups didn't really do it for me, but the next band was great. I arrived in time to catch the National on the 'Sutro' stage. Was a great sound, and totally enjoyed this groove. Next up was Incubus. I had never seen them before and they were alright. I was side stage and the mix wasn't too good from where I stood. It was cool to see them, but wasn't blown away by them.

I hit the Intel tent, (here comes the free advertising, guess they did a good job ;) ) That tent was great, with some banging music, a flavored oxygen bar, free vials of some type of sports drink, and free internet courtesy of some Dell net books. I emailed a couple PJ junkies to let them know I was at the show.

My next mission was to get close for Tom "freakin" Jones. I had been anticipating seeing him since the show was announced, and aside from Pearl Jam, he was the highlight of the Festival. His version of Otis Redding's 'Hard to Handle' had the crowd in permagrin, no doubt tapping into our love of the Black Crowes version of that song from our youth. He nailed it, and made it his own. He began Delila as I walked out happy, on my way to find a decent spot for the main act.

Although the sound had proven to be so so along the edge of the front rail, I knew I could get pretty close and secure a front row spot. Had a decent view of Mike, and Eddie, with more than a few special appearances by Mike and Jeff. Didn't hurt that the monitor was right overhead with a perfect view of the band.

My ass was officially 'kicked', and got a good taste of what we were in for with a sick 'Why go' opener. Eddie didn't let up with 'Animal', 'Severed Hand', or the crowd favorite sing-a-long, 'Corduroy'. After 5 hours in the hot sun the boys got the crowd up and ready to go.

Eddie scrambled before the next song, addressing each guy on stage and changing up the game plan. He promised he would get to the next one, but first had to take advantage of the changing sky. Low Light was amazing, with the crowd staring up as the clouds rolled by, and the sun went down. A really great moment as the tempo changed for a little calm before the storm.

'The Fixer' was next, and didn't really get going in my opinion. Perhaps it was my spot, stage right, but it just felt flat. I was a bit disappointed, cause I like the song enough, but haven't fallen in love yet. Thought the live version might push me on my way, but given my position to the speakers, I'll hold out judgment for another day. My heart did a triple beat as the drums started for the next song. My favorite of off 'No Code', and the rarely played gem, 'In My Tree. This song was last heard by me for the first and only time, in 2003 at the Santa Barbara Bowl. I was overwhelmed to hear this song at a festival, and the thought of it's return to the regular rotation would suit me just fine.

'Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town' was awesome as usual. I anticipated going back into greatest hits mode and that truly brought a smile to my face. The fact that so many casual fans, hearing Pearl Jam for the first time, were getting a great sing-a-long/greatest hits show, meant that more people might find out how special these guys are. All I could think about throughout Small Town and Even Flow was a new generation of fan picking up Backspacer on the 20th of September.

'Got Some' was AWESOME. A totally kick ass rocker that had the crowd going. Eddie delivered big time, despite his ailing throat. (A two week 7 stop, 5 country trip will do that to you.) But now would be a good time to let you in on "The Master". McCready was on fire, as per usual, but he stepped up where Eddie couldn't and melted the faces of the those newly initiated and oldtimers as well. His behind the head act went over very well in my section. In fact I was knee deep in Pearl Jam fans. Met a great guy Barry with a vintage Ten Club shirt from 1998, and another guy who's name escapes me who stationed himself to my right along the rail.

I had heard EV play 'I am Mine', four times on his own, but never heard the full band version. This was another highlight for me. Given to Fly was it's usual awesome self, and then came MFC and Down. Down is probably my favorite track off of 'Lost Dogs' and it is welcome in any set that I get to hear. Black was great, with the crowd singing, didn't really feel Save You, although I usually love it. DTE and Go to end it had the crowd back into a frenzy. Go was the perfect ending to an awesome set.

Eddie came on stage in darkness seemingly alone, only to be joined by Boom for 'Wasted Reprise'. A nice calming intro to the first encore. Crowd pleaser's 'Betterman' and 'Daughter' were next and aside from the lack of tags were pretty good. Eddie leaned on the crowd, more this time for his own voice than the crowd itself. Don't think this was our best effort. Was really, really hoping for a little tag, and for a moment Eddie thought about it, but alas it was not to be. It's hard to cram 26 songs into under 2 hours, and for a night we were to be tagless.

"The Real Me" was next and I didn't feel it fit into this spot very well. I was also a spoiled participant in the 2008 VH1 "The Who" tribute, so although I'm happy to see it being played I didn't get as excited as I might have.

Boom and Mike duked it out during 'Crazy Mary' and finally 'Alive' was played. By this point I was making my way to the little boys room, and was content to watch the show play out from a different vantage point.

It was a little sad to see perhaps 10% of the crowd aimlessly walking around towards the back of the polo fields, although technically I would qualify as part of that 10% at that point. Overall I didn't think the crowd was great, but they wern't half bad from where I was standing.

With all the talk about 1995 and Neil Young, I was hopeful that he would emerge. It was not to be, but two of his songs did. Throw Your Hatred Down' and the classic 'RITFW'.

As always Pearl Jam brought it home with two awesome covers. As I walked away, I thought to myself about what makes Pearl Jam great. Aside from the Amazing lyrics, riffs, songs, stage presence, and through the roof talent, these guys just fucking care. They NEVER mail it in, they always consider where they are and try to cater a perfect show for the fans.

In San Francisco, at the Outside Lands Festival, they made it happen.
    Post edited by Wilds on
  • jammergirljammergirl Posts: 594
    I'm sore, sunburned, hungover and all around disheveled...and I regret nothing!!

wow...whatta show. I picked up a sweet shirt at the ames bros. booth (the blue surfer one), arrived for the silversun pickups, found a spot on mike's side and worked my way up to the rail after incubus. jeez, what can i say that hasn't already been said?? fuckin' In my tree!!! only my fav song ever, and it sounds soo good live. yeah, the set list was pretty heavy on the hits, but i expected that for a festival. Ed sounded pretty darn good to me, but I could tell he was in pain, he kept grabbing his throat. they all seemed to be in SUCH good moods though, probably because they're on a 3-week vacation now!
    this was by far the closest i've ever been for a show (my # isn't that great) and it was just amazing. at one point mike came over to where i was and i waved at him. he pointed at me and gave me a look like "you wanna pic?" and i nodded and made a motion like "hell yea!" so he threw a bunch in my section and i CAUGHT one!!!! i think i may frame it.
    I had to work one of the food booths today (the cheesesteak and burrito one by the sutro stage) and anyone wearing a pj shirt i HAD to show them my pic and exchange stories about the night before. I'll be there again tomorrow, so if anyone is going and wants to stop by and say hi, i can maybe slip ya some free grub!
    oh, and sorry i punked out on the post-show meetup, my friends and I were staying at the stanyon park hotel, which is right next to the keyzar pub. so after the show i said i wanted to go to the tee off, and they all were like "how come you wanna go to a bar ALL the way over there, when we have a bar right by our room?" well, not wanting to make the journey by myself, i decided to just go with them. the crowd at the keyzar was fun, and at one point the bar played a pj song and the ENTIRE bar starting loudly singing along. hearing this, the bartender loaded up the juke box with pj songs for the rest of the night. good times!!

Whew! thanks for the great night, pearl jam! see you guys in LA!!!!
  • The show was great regardless of a greatest hits list, only a handful of nuggets, and a weaker than normal voice. Honestly, I was so moved by the EV solo shows here and in Hawaii, that i wasn't sure PJ would be as satisfying for me anymore in comparison, but i now realize i love both styles, each in their own unique way....

And yes, most of the crowd around me in VIP section had never seen PJ before, or if they had, it was at least a decade earlier. I don't think that makes the SF audience a bunch of "potheads" or a "bizarre animal." If that were true, they could as easily say that hardcore PJ fans are bizarre in a cultish sort of way (which some of them probably do think)... Also, I think when playing the Bay area, PJ tends to choose differnet songs that reflect the political activism here, and this in turn creates a different vibe from the crowd than other shows.

I think both hard core and casual fans have a right to hear songs they like. We get spoiled by seeing so many amazing shows, and we always want the next one to be even better. And yes, i'd love more fanclub only shows in a small local venue like showbox was in Seattle playing mostly new and rare stuff, but again that's just me being spoiled. If i grow tired of the same old stuff, i take a hiatus from going to so many shows.

This show was special in it's own way. It was pretty much a once in a lifetime (maybe twice) experience, to see them play at GG park. The only thing that sucked for me was the neverending MUNI ride home... :)

Peace and love from SF p.s. - i noticed they all wore black shirts for the final show at SF Civic Center '06 as well as last night. Can't help but wonder if it's to pay homage to Metallica's hometown....
    sfrench wrote:

Personal highlights - An especially awesome version of Even Flow, and a blistering version of The Real Me.

Out of 20 shows, this one is in my top 3.

I still can't believe he was able to handle Real Me the way he did considering how much his throat was hurting. Now, that's what I call dedication!

#standingman #duranadam
    Two things about your post:
    jenny wrote:
    If that were true, they could as easily say that hardcore PJ fans are bizarre in a cultish sort of way (which some of them probably do think)...
    I really don't think anybody cares about being called "cultish". At least we don't drink the red kool-aid.
    jenny wrote:
    i noticed they all wore black shirts for the final show at SF Civic Center '06 as well as last night. Can't help but wonder if it's to pay homage to Metallica's hometown....

Nice catch! I don't think they are friends or anything though. Or are they?

#standingman #duranadam