Options

*** Outside Lands Festival Fanviews Here 8/28/09 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,915
edited January 2010 in Given To Fly (live)
August 28, 2009 San Francisco, California, Outside Lands Festival

Set List: Why Go, Animal, Severed Hand, Corduroy, Low Light, The Fixer, In My Tree, Small Town, Even Flow, Got Some, I Am Mine, Given To Fly, MFC, Down, Black, Save You, Do The Evolution, Go

1st encore: Wasted Reprise, Better Man, Daughter, The Real Me (Townshend), Crazy Mary (Williams), Alive

2nd encore: Throw Your Hatred Down (Young), Rockin' In The Free World-(Young)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please try to keep the thread for Fanviews....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Ok. I'll go first...

FUCKING AMAZING!!!!!!!

Thank you.
  • Options
    mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 785
    It sure looks it, Ryan. Amazing setlist!
  • Options
    andrewbandrewb Posts: 487
    edited August 2009
    Camped out all day, stood for 8 hours straight. The Incubus crowd up front wasn't very pleasant to say the least. The assholes who wanted to mosh hoped the fence with security and left.

The clock strikes 7:50 , Phillip Glass' piano kicks in and then the best show I have ever seen took place. That probably had to do with me being within 10 feet of Stone and Eddie the whole night. Made direct eye contact with Ed at the end of Got Some and his eyes opened real wide.

And get this, after Small Town... I CAUGHT HIS FUCKING PICK!!!!!
    :mrgreen:

Unbelievable night. Unbelievable band.
    Well worth the long trip from NYC.

See ya'll at PHILLY!!!!!
    Post edited by andrewb on
    PJ
    6/03/06 6/24/08 6/25/08 6/28/08 8/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 3/13/10 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10 5/21/10 9/3/11 9/4/11 9/2/12 10/18/13 10/19/13 10/25/13 10/22/14 9/26/15 5/1/16 5/2/16 8/5/16 8/7/16 8/20/16 4/7/17

Ed Ved
    8/5/08 6/12/09 6/21/11 6/22/11

Brad
    5/23/12

Soundgarden
    7/9/11 1/23/13 8/1/14

RNDM
    3/7/16
  • Options
    37pheet37pheet Posts: 433
    FUCKIN NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hell ya it was worth the trip.
  • Options
    rnyc214rnyc214 Posts: 39
    Great show although Eddie's voice wasn't at its best but they still put on a great show. Crowd could have been better but can't really expect much from a festival crowd. On another note, did you see the poster for this show? Not one of the better ones, in all the times I've seen Pearl Jam play live I've never seen so many posters go unsold.
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    What's the old joke?

Why are pizza and sex similar? Even when it's bad, it' still pretty damn good.

.... and even if you get an ok Pearl Jam show, that's still a fantastic night.

They came out rockin' and Mike was a house a fire ... and I think Jeff has added a few inches to the vertical leap.

Ed called an audible, the band scrambled for different instruments ... Ed told us they were going to play this song later in the night, but the sky was just too beautiful, he felt moved to play it early .... then into Low Light. Not one of my favorite tunes, but, the passion behind it made it a stand out tonight.

In My Tree is BACK! A big SUCK IT to all those that said Matt could never play it, sounded fantastic.

Got Some fits in REALLY nice into the set ... they rocked it.

Am I the only one that misses the Untitled intro into MFC? I still love that song, but, I really miss Untitled.

Can you see the reeeeeeeeal me? Can you? CAN YOU???!?!?!

Lots of kudos doled out to Uncle Neil, some reminiscing about the last time they were in Golden Gate (when Ed bailed after one tune and Neil filled in). Ed talked about Bridge but said nothing about a return this year. I was half expecting Neil to show up on stage during the second encore.

Throw Your Hatred Down was great ... into RITFW ... nice way to end the show.

Very good show.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    Crazy MarcusCrazy Marcus Posts: 1,823
    jimed14 wrote:
    Lots of kudos doled out to Uncle Neil, some reminiscing about the last time they were in Golden Gate (when Ed bailed after one tune and Neil filled in). Ed talked about Bridge but said nothing about a return this year. I was half expecting Neil to show up on stage during the second encore.

Very good show.
    I was there in 1995 at the Polo Fields in Golden Gate Park. It was actually 7 songs and then Ed left the stage. Then Neil came out and finished the set and rocked! Watching the other bands play on the YouTube streaming video brought back some memories. Wish I was there. :)
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    jimed14 wrote:

Very good show.
    I was there in 1995 at the Polo Fields in Golden Gate Park. It was actually 7 songs and then Ed left the stage. Then Neil came out and finished the set and rocked! Watching the other bands play on the YouTube streaming video brought back some memories. Wish I was there. :)

thanks for the correction, SF wasn't even a consideration in my brain in 1995.

It's a gorgeous venue for a music festival. Granted, each stage has its own weather system (I'm not kidding either)
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    Ive seen the band now 13 times, and this show is in the top 3.

The first set was just ridiculous. So much energy. why go, animal to start the show was great. Low light was awesome. A pit opened up during even flow and the crowd surfers came out. Best even flow i've heard. There's something about being pushed in 10 different directions during that song that makes it perfect.The trio of save you, do the evolution and go to close the first set kicked my ass.

Ed was smiling a lot, they were all jumping around nonstop. Matt was flawless as usual. The Real Me...love it. Very solid audience participation throughout the show.

Special, special night
  • Options
    I've been a fan since 1992, but this was my first concert. Why the hell haven't I been going every time I could???? Awesome! Agree with jimed14 post about In My Tree - great to hear the drum line back, nicely done. Set list was amazing (as already noted). Very grateful for the band, the show, the night, the venue, all. Still grinning!
  • Options
    ytrepusytrepus Posts: 15
    Wow, setlist looks great! Anyone do the hand crank listening station? How were Got Some and Just Breathe?
  • Options
    sfrenchsfrench Posts: 42
    It was a beautiful sunny day in the park, and stayed fairly warm even into the night when PJ started their set. Usually the Sunset district in SF gets the fog around 6:00, so having a beautiful sunset and no need for a sweatshirt was special.

The amazingness of this show was because everything clicked. The band was on, the crowd was into it and giving it right back to them, and they seemed to feed off it. 2 hours for the set was a bit short, but they managed to keep the setlist pretty heavy. They started off with a 4 blistering songs to get us warmed up, then called the audible so they could put the sun to bed for the night with Low Light. Even thought Low Light is a little too slow for me, I always enjoy when they play it at sunset (they did it at Gorge '05 as well).

Personal highlights - An especially awesome version of Even Flow, and a blistering version of The Real Me.

Out of 20 shows, this one is in my top 3.
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    rnyc214 wrote:
    Great show although Eddie's voice wasn't at its best but they still put on a great show. Crowd could have been better but can't really expect much from a festival crowd. On another note, did you see the poster for this show? Not one of the better ones, in all the times I've seen Pearl Jam play live I've never seen so many posters go unsold.

That's probably due to the fact that a lot of folks probably already purchased it during the online pre-sale.
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    anyone check out that special Ames Bros booth? Weren't they selling some shirts and other merch?
  • Options
    mrs.smileymrs.smiley Posts: 422
    Wow-sounds like kick-ass sets especially for a festival performance-only wish I coulda seen it on You Tube :x as just couldn't make the trip. Thanks for fanviews-Can't wait till Philly :mrgreen:
    '98-Camden 8/29
    '03-Philly Spectrum 4/28, Camden 7/5, Hershey 7/12
    '06-Camden 5/28
    '08-Camden 6/20
    '09-Closing Down the Philly Spectrum! 10/28, 10/30, & the Epic 10/31
    '09-EV Solo Tower Theater, Upper Darby, PA6/12
    '10-MSG1& MSG2, New York City, 5-20 & 5/21
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    mrs.smiley wrote:
    Wow-sounds like kick-ass sets especially for a festival performance-only wish I coulda seen it on You Tube :x as just couldn't make the trip. Thanks for fanviews-Can't wait till Philly :mrgreen:

Right. I will be enjoying WSP & AB tonight, then going to top off my Saturday night watching DMB rock the Outlands on Youtube. Great day ahead!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    My 15th Pearl Jam show. I had special guest passes that afforded me an amazing view. But before getting into Pearl Jam, Incubus sucked? Someone said that? Wow. They were fantastic, as always, in spite of the fact that Brandon was so sick he looked like he was going to faint. Silversun Pickups, Incubus, and Pearl Jam makes for a good night.

As for Pearl Jam, definitely a rocking setlist that featured a lot of their well-known songs with a few surprises mixed in. I was thrilled to hear In My Tree, and it did sound tight (no Boom in this version). I thought Mike was especially on. His behind-the-head solo in Evenflow was outstanding. Ed commented that the current tour had kicked his ass and that he was upset that his voice/throat weren't what they usually were. I didn't really start to notice until later in the set. He couldn't sing Crazy Mary at all by the time they got there. Definitely struggling. My biggest issue though was with the crowd. During the encore breaks, crickets. Very little energy throughout the set, excepting the sing-alongs on Betterman and Evenflow. I kept expecting Ed to say something about it. It was just an incredibly lame crowd. For me, it's hard for a show to be considered great without a great crowd. I'd say the show was average and certainly nowhere near the 3 Bill Graham shows during the last tour.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    The concert was amazing. Eddie's voice was a little rough but he gave 100% and full of energy. Mike McCready played the guitar behind his head at one song and was awesome. The band rocked! Didn't want the show to end. Thanks PJ!
  • Options
    RGarabed21RGarabed21 Posts: 467
    Awesome set list!! Philly can't get here soon enough!!
    MSG - 6/25/08 EV Solo Tower Theatre - 06/11/09
    Philly 2 - 10/28/09 Philly 3 - 10/30/09
    Philly 4 - 10/31/09
    Boston 1 - 05/17/10
    PruCenter - 05/18/10
    MSG 1 - 05/20/10
    MSG 2 - 05/21/10
    Alpine1 - 09/03/11 Alpine2 - 09/04/11
  • Options
    About the crowd being lame. It was hot in the city and being on you feet for 8 hours is rough but I was doing my part. I was in front so not sure about the back.
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 916
    wow, was hoping for throw your hatred down at one of the uk dates (think it was on shepherds bush setlist)
  • Options
    potnikpotnik Posts: 442
    mjb wrote:
    anyone check out that special Ames Bros booth? Weren't they selling some shirts and other merch?

The shirt had this design on it, actually liked the non-limited edition poster colors better then the hot pink.

As for the show, I have been fortunate enough to make this number 46 and Mike was the highlight for me. I think mainly it was where I was standing and who was around me, rather then wanting to get close to the stage I though I would hang out closer to the sound stage and the audience around me just wasn't that into it. With that said, I was hopeful to hear Brother last night, but I have another 4 shows coming up for that.

I have at times wondered why they always play Even Flow and after last night I will never question it again. If that is the first, tenth, or hundredth time you have seen them the solo that Mike did last night makes hearing that song worth while. Mike never ceases to amaze me, but even the lifeless masses around me where absolutely in awe of what he did with that solo.

A couple other things, Eddie was not extremely chatty tonight. Here is what I remember him saying

1) Don't take the brown Acid, although the mushrooms are ok.
    2) He talked about how this tour started in Canada went over to Europe and ended up here, he also said that the tour has kicked his ass and that his throat is not where he would like it to be. Editorial comment -- He did the best he could last night and put on a good show, but you could tell that he was hurting some.
    3) After Even Flow he said "Wow, I have no idea what the fuck he is going to do for the next three weeks, not being able to do that every night" referring to Mike.
    4) Second Encore -- Like Jim said said he talked about the Bridge School, mentioned Alan, Mericor (spelling), and Ben Young.
    5) He also talked about the last time they were at the polo grounds and that Uncle Neil Young saved the day and risked harm in the name of rock and roll.
    6) First Encore -- Eddie comes out and starts singing Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole the crowd joins in and Eddie does patented dance 213, he then makes a comment about how it looks like Encinada or Encinitas, smells like it, yet they are in San Francisco.
    7) He also talked about taking care of your neighbor

The new songs worked well in the set, looking forward to hearing the rest of the album. In all it was an enjoyable show, very hopeful for what LA night 3, 4, San Diego, and Philly 4 (number 50) have in store.

As for the hand crank station, I looked for it, apparently not very well though as I wasn't able to find it. Until next time, thank you Pearl Jam for an enjoyable show, rest up and see you in a little over a month.

Last thing, before I run out the door to coach a soccer game. There didn't appear to be any sports themed shirt today, just the stick man with San Francisco on it.
  • Options
    About the crowd being lame. It was hot in the city and being on you feet for 8 hours is rough but I was doing my part. I was in front so not sure about the back.

It isn't just that. Bay Area concert crowds suck when they get above 8000 people or so. Bill Graham worked because it was mostly just the dedicated and hardcore that came (as only 8000 could get in). The last time they played Shoreline, the crowd was horrendous as well. There just isn't a huge Pearl Jam following here. The people that show up to bigger shows are casual fans there to hear Jeremy. It is also just part of the Bay Area mentality. Care-free. Disproportionate number of apathetic potheads who really aren't passionate about anything, other than getting high.

It was amazing to me when I traveled out of the area to see Pearl Jam shows. Vancouver. Philly. So much more intensity from the larger crowds.
  • Options
    It is amazing the different takes people have on this show. as I said earlier I thought is was awesome. I have very few complaints. The people around me were really into it (four people deep on mikes side.)...We were chanting "pearl jam" before thne show and during the breaks. I thought eddie was reacting on stage thinking the crowd was good.
  • Options
    Started the morning off at 6am, drove from SacTown, arrived a little before 8. As I was walking trying to find the entrance a female staff member told me I was going the wrong way. I knew my map said there was an entrance past her but she insisted that I turn around. I asked if she was sure, she replied, "whhat you callin me a liar, ok i'm a liar now." I kept walking where I thought the entrance was, luckily met some nice people who had been at the entrance since 4am, I got to stick with all day....Jack the bong ripper and "not his wife" Awesome people.

Anyway, sit in the blistering heat for 4 hours until noon when they opened the doors, the ladys scanner wouldn't work but I wanted front row so I just bolted past her.... :D

Got front row Mike and Jeff side. My first time in the front row. Honestly at the point where I secured front row that damn sun couldn't go down fast enough. I rocked out as Mike just shredded all night long. I haven't been to a PJ show since 03 and I realized last night how much I missed it. I think I'm going to try and do the rest of the tour.

Even though Ed's voice was shot, it was cool he came down off the stage. I thought overall it was an amazing night.

Honestly, I can't say enough about the Pearl Jam community. From Eugene Ed to Sacto Monica to Quebec Catherine to Australian Alex to Knoxville Brian to Jack the Bong Ripper and his not wife, and the SF blonde girl behind me (can't remember her name :( ) You all were very awesome people to be around all day.

Oh and the lady that told me I was going the wrong way, she saw me in line and apologized that she gave me bad info.....
    Kansas City 1998, Kansas City 2000, EV- Santa Cruz 2008, EV- Berkeley #1 2008, EV- Berkeley #2 2008, Outside Lands 2009, Seattle #2 2009, Portland 2009, LA #3 2009, LA #4 2009, SD 2009, KC 2010, STL 2010, CBUS 2010, Indy 2010, Cle 2010, Buffalo 2010, Boston 2010, Newark 2010, MSG 1 2010, MSG 2 2010, PJ20 1 2011, PJ20 2 2011, Midtown 2012, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013, OKC 2013, STL 2014, Tulsa 2014, Lincoln 2014.
  • Options
    ElzarElzar Posts: 966
    boroff89 wrote:

It isn't just that. Bay Area concert crowds suck when they get above 8000 people or so. Bill Graham worked because it was mostly just the dedicated and hardcore that came (as only 8000 could get in). The last time they played Shoreline, the crowd was horrendous as well. There just isn't a huge Pearl Jam following here. The people that show up to bigger shows are casual fans there to hear Jeremy. It is also just part of the Bay Area mentality. Care-free. Disproportionate number of apathetic potheads who really aren't passionate about anything, other than getting high.
    It was amazing to me when I traveled out of the area to see Pearl Jam shows. Vancouver. Philly. So much more intensity from the larger crowds.

I dont know where you guys were sitting/standing if you think the crowd sucked or the show wasnt up to your standards. I was up front, so i couldnt really see any of the crowd that stretched the polo field - but it seemed like everyone up front was loving every minute. AND i strongly disagree, there is a HUGE following here in SF.

IMO One of the best shows i have been to, i happened to like my neighbors in the crowd, the set list was awesome ( i was expecting a way shorter setlist for the festival, and way more typical festival setlist) The band was awesome, even though Ed's voice was a little jacked, he didnt quit, in fact he busted his ass harder than normal. Most memorable for me was the solo battle between Mike and Boom.
  • Options
    When all you have to go on is the first few rows, that's the perspective you're going to have. I had a broader perspective. The crowd stunk. Same thing happened at Shoreline during the Riot Act tour. Yes, the first ten rows or so were great. The rest of the crowd might as well not have been there.

Pearl Jam's performance was really good. I enjoyed the set and was thrilled to be there. But in the spectrum of Pearl Jam shows I've attended, it is closer to the bottom than to the top. That still puts it well above most of the concerts I've seen (and I've seen many). Again, it doesn't come close to the Bill Graham shows.

As for there being a huge Pearl Jam following in the Bay Area, I firmly disagree. They struggled to sellout Shoreline during the Riot Act tour. That does not represent a huge following. Talk to the people back east to get a better understanding of this. Boston represents a huge following. Philly. Chicago. Seattle. The Bay Area is a bizarre place musically. It isn't an indictment of Pearl Jam. The Bay Area is just its own bizarre animal.
  • Options
    senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Had a great time last night!
  • Options
    edpearsonedpearson Posts: 331
    mjb wrote:

Yes, I noticed that the Ames Bros booth had the largest crowd. I didn't care too much for the PJ poster, however my wife liked it enough to buy the t-shirt version of it. I purchased the skunk w/ grenade t-shirt (go to amesbros.com to see their shirts) -- it's already my favorite t-shirt at the moment. They were giving 20% off coupons back to customers who made a purchase (it's an online coupon code actually -- enter code "EVOLVER" if interested).
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

===========================
  • Options
    ElzarElzar Posts: 966
    boroff89 wrote:
    When all you have to go on is the first few rows, that's the perspective you're going to have. I had a broader perspective. The crowd stunk. Same thing happened at Shoreline during the Riot Act tour. Yes, the first ten rows or so were great. The rest of the crowd might as well not have been there.
    quote]

well........i guess if you wanted to, you could have showed up earlier like all of us up front to get a better seat and better crowd around you. I suffered through the sun because i wasnt going to sit a mile back. I bet the crowd sucked way back there. So i think you should change yours to "the crowd sucked where i was sitting".
    I was at the 06 shows, and i'm not going to compare a festival show to a full PJ gig. so im just saying where i sat i was plenty happy. Maybe next time have a few beers and just enjoy the show? ::scratching head::