The Tragically Hip!!!!

Comments

• restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    emptyglass wrote:
    The Tragically Hip are as good as Pearl Jam. There, I said it.

These 2 bands have more in common than not.
    # 1 would be the rotating setlists
    # 2 they treat their fans with Respect
    # 3 their music rocks
    # 4 their live shows are incredible
    # 5 two great lead singers
    # 6 Gord has as many good lines/lyrics as Eddie does(both absolutely brilliant!)
    I'm sure I'm missing some others...

# 7 Pearl Jam has NAIS, the Hip have NOIS. hahahha
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Just listened to Fully Completely and Day For The Night. They seem alright, digging the guys voice more and more, reminds me of Live and Our Lady Peace.

Any other records i should check out?

I recommend Phantom Power and the new album, We Are The Same.
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    bovy_j wrote:
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Just listened to Fully Completely and Day For The Night. They seem alright, digging the guys voice more and more, reminds me of Live and Our Lady Peace.

Any other records i should check out?

I recommend Phantom Power and the new album, We Are The Same.
    Agree with this post; also next stop Road Apples and Day For Night
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124338060240956289.html

They're Hip, but Canadian

By JIM FUSILLI
    TORONTO -- The Tragically Hip has everything you'd want in a rock band: smart, distinctive songs; a sound to call its own; a live show that jolts the audience from its seats; and, in Gordon Downie, a front man who's been compared to Mick Jagger and Michael Stipe. The Hip's only problem: The band is Canadian.

Which isn't much of a problem in Canada, where the quintet is widely acknowledged as the country's best rock band. The Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences honored two of their 12 discs with Juno Awards for best rock album of the year; another, 1996's "Trouble at the Henhouse," was voted album of the year, regardless of category. Eight Hip albums reached the No. 1 slot on the Canadian charts the week they launched. The band has a star on the Canadian Walk of Fame and was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame.

Tune In
    Listen to a full song off the new album "We Are the Same" by Tragically Hip:

But "we can't draw flies in the States," the 45-year-old Mr. Downie said when we spoke earlier this month in a dressing room at Massey Hall, before and after one of the Tragically Hip's six shows here tied to their fine new album, "We Are the Same" (Rounder). Not that the band needs the approval of American fans. But it would like, and deserves, a bigger audience.

It's a mystery to me why the Hip haven't succeeded in the U.S. Many Canadian musicians have: the Arcade Fire, Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell, Rush and Neil Young, to name a few. The Band, which created the prototype for what's known today as Americana music, was 80% Canadian; only drummer Levon Helm was born in the U.S. Further, were live rock a competition, the Hip would bulldoze just about any contemporary group that trod a terrain that accommodates the Smiths and Bruce Springsteen. I'd compare them to the Hold Steady -- but the Hold Steady don't quite measure up. Stand in the audience among the Hip's fans and you sense that they're right: This is a band to believe in, which is about the highest praise a rock group can inspire.

And yet no traction in the U.S., despite repeated touring, an appearance on "Saturday Night Live" back in 1995 and a slot at Woodstock '99. Maybe it is because of their devotion to their homeland: Whereas Mr. Cohen earned his international acclaim as an expat coming out of New York's 1960s folk scene and Ms. Mitchell and Mr. Young for the most part reached a wide audience out of California, the Hip are Canadian born and based, proudly so.

"For 20 years we've been beaten with both sides of the stick," said Mr. Downie, who writes the band's songs. "We're told our success in Canada is due to some nationalistic cheerleading. But I have no interest in perpetuating or galvanizing old myths about this country."

Yet he cites Canada, its cities and natural beauty, with unabashed affection in his songs. "It was considered quite risky to use Canadian place names in songs, especially in commercial pop," he said. "I wasn't the first to do it by any stretch -- and those who did it were considered brave, as if they were eschewing an American brass ring in favor of a Canadian ideal. But music is meant to flow anywhere you want. Music isn't stopped at Customs."

The Hip, which includes Rob Baker and Paul Langlois on guitar, Johnny Fay on drums and Gordon Sinclair on bass, have tried to cultivate an American following since they began their career some 25 years ago. Talk about grinding it out: Mr. Downie recalled a show in Hoboken, N.J., to which the band drew five people. Once a turnout in Harrisburg, Pa., was so tiny that the Hip considered inviting the attendees onto the tour bus. "There were more of us than them," he said. (They're touring the U.S. through mid-June; see thehip.com for dates and locations.)

America is an important market to them, not merely because of size. "We go down there because that's where the music we play came from. It's from the Mississippi Delta by way of England -- the Pretty Things, the Stones. That's our music, maybe with a Canadian coat of paint.

"If we were told we couldn't go to America anymore, we would be heartbroken," he added. "We're not trying to replicate our success up here. We go to America to work. We're not tourists."

During our conversation, Mr. Downie seemed incapable of a thoughtless answer. Had I known him better -- or at all -- I might say he grew melancholy when he pondered the band's relative lack of success in the U.S. How different he seemed on stage the night before. For all the Jagger/Stipe comparisons, he's like no other performer I've ever seen.

While singing with fire and bravado, Mr. Downie prances, staggers, goosesteps, squats and swings his arms like an ape, tries a bit of flamenco dancing and wields the mike stand like a majorette. He dedicated one tune to the pope and referenced Flannery O'Connor in the intro to another. Then there are those white handkerchiefs that he waves, wears as a veil, uses to mop his shaven head, flings into the audience, and trades for cell phones and cameras -- which he returns. The audience seems to cherish those pieces of cloth as if they were spun from gold.

For its part, the band goes about its business with industry: On the night I saw them, Mr. Fay boomed away on the big rock numbers and deftly worked an intriguing collection of hand drums during the unplugged set. Mr. Baker played a few notable solos; one was so enticing, I resented the distraction of Mr. Downie's showmanship. The high points came early and continued, but the reading of "Morning Moon" from the new album was magic, an intense yet tender respite from raging rock. It was the kind of moment no one who loves rock and pop, no matter where they reside, could resist.

Mr. Fusilli is the Journal's rock and pop music critic. Email him at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:jfusilli@wsj.com">jfusilli@wsj.com</a><!-- e --> or follow him on Twitter@wsjrock.

Printed in The Wall Street Journal, page D9
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Ok i've listened to about 4/5 albums now and i just don't see whats that amazing, they had a few cool moments but meh. But i would def check them out if they played here.
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Ok i've listened to about 4/5 albums now and i just don't see whats that amazing, they had a few cool moments but meh. But i would def check them out if they played here.

Personally speaking I find some cds need to get absorbed organically over time...maybe you've heard the cds only once or twice(or?) but personally speaking I find lots of music that I don't initially like hits me later after many repeated listenings...but um yeah seeing the band play live can certainly help and sometimes it's the one missing piece that pulls it ALL together :)

Good luck!
  • Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    For a lot of Canadians the hip is like the background music of our formative years. It was always playing on the radio, camping in Algonquin, drinking around the fire...it's good music. I do think a lot of the love for the band has to do with the countless Canadian references, like the article said.

I agree with the above poster...the music grows on you.

(ps...Rush suck) 8-)
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169

(ps...Rush suck) 8-)
    So should I give em a listen?
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
    For a lot of Canadians the hip is like the background music of our formative years. It was always playing on the radio, camping in Algonquin, drinking around the fire...it's good music. I do think a lot of the love for the band has to do with the countless Canadian references, like the article said.

(ps...Rush suck) 8-)

Okay, now we have a thing called a problem.

Rush are one of the finest bands to grace this planet, they are all extremely good muscians and they just are so damn good!
    emptyglass wrote:
    I BrisK I wrote:

Personally speaking I find some cds need to get absorbed organically over time...maybe you've heard the cds only once or twice(or?) but personally speaking I find lots of music that I don't initially like hits me later after many repeated listenings...but um yeah seeing the band play live can certainly help and sometimes it's the one missing piece that pulls it ALL together :)

Good luck!

but yes music does grow, so true, i said the new manics album sucked but now im digging it slowly and a same with a bajillion other bands as you have just stated. But if a band is really really really really good they will slap me in the face first time round ;p
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    I BrisK I wrote:

Did you get 4/5 albums at once? I can't think of a single band I've ever tried that with where it stuck... the albums inevitably blur together and you notice a few highlights and go "meh" to the middle tracks. I had the same reaction when I first got into Afghan Whigs and Twilight Singers... I wanted to ditch the albums or just compile a best of. It's too much material to swallow at once. Luckily, I forced myself to delete everything from my ipod except those albums until I'd had a chance to really absorb them.

And their live show is a must. Like PJ, the albums may sound good, but not particularly mind-blowing to an outsider. It's the live show that truly demonstrates the power of the band.
    I BrisK I wrote:

Did you get 4/5 albums at once? I can't think of a single band I've ever tried that with where it stuck... the albums inevitably blur together and you notice a few highlights and go "meh" to the middle tracks. I had the same reaction when I first got into Afghan Whigs and Twilight Singers... I wanted to ditch the albums or just compile a best of. It's too much material to swallow at once. Luckily, I forced myself to delete everything from my ipod except those albums until I'd had a chance to really absorb them.

And their live show is a must. Like PJ, the albums may sound good, but not particularly mind-blowing to an outsider. It's the live show that truly demonstrates the power of the band.

Just been listening to everyones recomendations on here, so yeah its around 4/5 albums just once. Really want to see em to try and understand what everyones about!
  • The Hip are positively delightful!
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    After seeing them again in Boston, I am convinced they are one of the top 3 bands out.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
    My offer is still standing for the JUNE 17th SEATTLE TRAGICALLY HIP SHOW. i have an extra 5TH ROW ticket. you would be sitting with my girlfriend and I. i dont want it to go to waste. please? face value.

MOORE THEATRE. gonna be great....you should come.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    Holy S**T what a show last night in Detroit. Made night one look very tame even though it was a very good show. Last night I was dead front and center and Gord was on fire. My wife and 2 friends who had never seen the Hip were just blown away.

In no order - 50 MISSION CAP, Locked in the trunk....., Eldorado, Fully Completely, Fireworks, Poets, Escape, Bobcaygeon, 3 pistols......... The final song was Blow at High Dough and Gord jumps off the stage and lets the audience scream into the mic with him.... Just a high energy show :0
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
    glad you had fun.

im really glad that escape is making fairly regular appearances in the setlists this tour. its one of my fav songs ever. just such a great story and sound to that tune.

im dying to hear eldorado too this time round.
  • EquallyWorthlessEquallyWorthless Posts: 3,993
    I BrisK I wrote:
    I BrisK I wrote:

Just been listening to everyones recomendations on here, so yeah its around 4/5 albums just once. Really want to see em to try and understand what everyones about!

Try the older albums then, more straight rocking.. Road Apples and Up to Here. Like someone said for most Canadians its just that the hip are like the soundtrack to our lives, you grow up with them.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
    pearljim wrote:
    Holy S**T what a show last night in Detroit. Made night one look very tame even though it was a very good show. Last night I was dead front and center and Gord was on fire. My wife and 2 friends who had never seen the Hip were just blown away.

In no order - 50 MISSION CAP, Locked in the trunk....., Eldorado, Fully Completely, Fireworks, Poets, Escape, Bobcaygeon, 3 pistols......... The final song was Blow at High Dough and Gord jumps off the stage and lets the audience scream into the mic with him.... Just a high energy show :0

That show was unbelievably sick! That version of Poets might be the best 6 minutes of live music of my entire life, including anything I've ever seen PJ do. Incredible show. Wish I could have made night one too!
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    pearljim wrote:

That show was unbelievably sick! That version of Poets might be the best 6 minutes of live music of my entire life, including anything I've ever seen PJ do. Incredible show. Wish I could have made night one too!

here's something else you 2 might like! both nights! :)

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525489
  • pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    demetrios wrote:
    pearljim wrote:

THANK YOU D! Downloading em now :)

I'm glad you felt the same way soulsinging. At times I thought the sound was a bit off but being right up front it was pure bombardment. Saw Nine Inch Nails tonight and it was a bit boring. NIN should not play during daylight and no mosh pit :) Only played 80 minutes........
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    benjs wrote:
    I found Gord's stage antics very strange... I'm sorry, but having a sweating problem does not justify using a rag as a prop, wiping your sweat constantly, and throwing it into the crowd. If Eddie threw a sweaty rag at me - I'd probably throw it back. That's just gross. Also, I did find the band's playing uninspired. I was off a bit to the side, so didn't see as much of the bassist, but the drums were very weak, and the guitar was soulless.
    i saw them in nyc and was literally on the rail for the whole night. i had probably the most fun ever at a concert. maybe you caught them on a bad night but when i saw them the band was tight. thats gord just being gord. i found it to be weird and funny. i would love to see them again on this tour
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

demetrios wrote:
    pearljim wrote:

Godamn that's such a tease! I appreciate the tip, but I cannot figure out torrent to save my life. I've tried at least 3 times and I'm convinced the damn thing is nothing more than an elaborate hoax, or at best a program that is more complicated than initiating a nuclear launch in the US.
    pearljim wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    [here's something else you 2 might like! both nights! :)

THANK YOU D! Downloading em now :)

I'm glad you felt the same way soulsinging. At times I thought the sound was a bit off but being right up front it was pure bombardment. Saw Nine Inch Nails tonight and it was a bit boring. NIN should not play during daylight and no mosh pit :) Only played 80 minutes........

Yeah, my gf and I got there a little before 730 and NIN was already onstage! They were done at like 845 and then we split to head home cos she has an early morning flight. They played great, but it was too short and too weird in the middle of the day with the sun shining, not ideal NIN weather.
  • maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    Just returning from seeing the Hip live on 2 of the last 3 nights (1st Detroit show and in Cleveland last night)! I, unfortunately missed THE set that everyone is talking about from Saturday. The same thing happened to me 2 years ago when i elected to see the Hip on the first of 2 nights at the Fillmore. (My friend attended the 2nd show that time and picked up the set-list packed full of favourites). Its all water under the bridge though....u cannot go to a Hip show and not walk away feeling satisfied....for an interval during the second set last night in Cleveland, i literally stood there in stunned amazement. To top off excellent acoustic performances of Boots or Hearts and Scared, the Hip went on a run of The Last Recluse, Pigeon Camera, Courage, and then Grace,Too. I mean, r u f*"!*in kidding me!!! I was blown away (and this was my 9th time seeing them)! The new material sounds excellent live and the songs continue to grow on you the more you listen. I can't get Now the Struggle Has a Name out of my head. The only difference i could see in the 2 year seperation between shows is how the legion of fans for the Hip has continued to grow....at the Cleveland show in '07, it felt like a house party. I literally placed the beer i was drinking on the stage in front of Paul while watching them play. That gives u an idea of how small and intimate that show was. Paul even commented to me last night after the show the remarkable difference in crowds between the two shows. Last night's group was considerably more (sold out), and although i had hoped for the same small intimate gathering, it is about the band and giving them their props. Talking with the guys after the show, they exemplified why they've become Canada's greatest export. They are hard-working, generous with their time and loyal to their fans. It's refreshing to see a bunch of guys remaining grounded and true to their passion without the ego that sometimes accompanies success.. Rock on Boys!!!!!!!!
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
    maynardsux wrote:
    Just returning from seeing the Hip live on 2 of the last 3 nights (1st Detroit show and in Cleveland last night)! I, unfortunately missed THE set that everyone is talking about from Saturday. The same thing happened to me 2 years ago when i elected to see the Hip on the first of 2 nights at the Fillmore. (My friend attended the 2nd show that time and picked up the set-list packed full of favourites). Its all water under the bridge though....u cannot go to a Hip show and not walk away feeling satisfied....for an interval during the second set last night in Cleveland, i literally stood there in stunned amazement. To top off excellent acoustic performances of Boots or Hearts and Scared, the Hip went on a run of The Last Recluse, Pigeon Camera, Courage, and then Grace,Too.

Don't feel too bad about missing Saturday... that run makes my jaw drop too!
  • PlanktonPlankton Posts: 692
    I just got tickets to finally see The Hip! Manchester, England in December. Can't flippin' wait.
  • maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    Plankton wrote:
    I just got tickets to finally see The Hip! Manchester, England in December. Can't flippin' wait.
    That would b amazing to see! Where are they playing and how many people?
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • chittychitty Posts: 574
    Maybe not best spot, but I have 2 extra tickets to the June 24 show in Vancouver. Last show of the 3 here so probably the best setlist that night.
    Lower Balcony Row 13, hard tickets, face value was $105 each, selling both for $180!
    PM me if you want them.
  • rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    1st Vancouver show, I think, was pretty good. Unfortunately I was in the nosebleeds and as I'm rather short, I couldn't see the lip of the stage where Gord hung out much of the night. Their touring keyboard/computer guy in the back by Johnny Fay was rocking it up pretty good. I really have to get to bed though, so I can't really divulge right now. I'm sure Restless Soul will have more info since he could probably see Gord and can better compare the gig to others (this is only my 2nd Hip show, 3rd will be in August.)

Personal highlights: acoustic Courage, Thugs, Depression Suite, The Struggle Has a Name.

Gord, at the end of set one: "Go smoke your smokes, pee your piss and look at the night sky, we'll be right back!"

Review:
    http://www.vancouversun.com/Entertainme ... story.html
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited May 2016
    Sad news today. One of my favorite bands. Thought they would be around forever.

Gord Downie, Tragically Hip singer, has terminal cancer
    Statement says Canadian singer 'has been fighting hard'

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/gord-downie-cancer-1.3596839

Post edited by dignin on