Options

advice regarding starting forums

IndianSummerIndianSummer Posts: 854
edited June 2005 in Technical Stuff and Help
hi everyone,

i want to start a forum.
and i am looking for a free forum hosting site.

do you have any suggestions??

which of the kinds of available forum hosting soft wares should i go for??

i want one thats free, for now - which will support my forum from an ad/banner in the forum.
but later i want to make it ad-free and then give it off to google ads.

do you know a site that'd allow me to do that ?

if you have any other advice, about how to get a forum on the road, anything that you learnt the hard way, any trade secret or insight you could give me about how to increase membership and popularity - then i'd be very thankful.

regards,
indiansummer
I have faced it, A life wasted...

Take my hand, my child of love
Come step inside my tears
Swim the magic ocean,
I've been crying all these years
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pls someone help me !!! :(

Swim the magic ocean,
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Try looking at these for free hosting packages:

http://www.proboards.com

http://www.conforums.com

Conforums offers an ad free option but you have to pay for it.
  • Options
    ok tyvm.

i'll mail them with my specific requirements (for ex i want a "repping system" - reputation points and also would like to have it free initially - against 1 or 2 ads that they will place, but would like to buy it later and give it off to gogle for their ads for which google wil pay me)...... lets see which forum hosting company gives me the better package.

ty again.

any more names anyone.. 1st hand lowdown would be best !!!

Swim the magic ocean,
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    ok tyvm.

i'll mail them with my specific requirements (for ex i want a "repping system" - reputation points and also would like to have it free initially - against 1 or 2 ads that they will place, but would like to buy it later and give it off to gogle for their ads for which google wil pay me)...... lets see which forum hosting company gives me the better package.

ty again.

any more names anyone.. 1st hand lowdown would be best !!!

Well, I have a Proboards board and a Conforums board. By a "repping system" do you mean the "karma system" where members can vote for each other? Proboards has that. Or do you mean, you want to be able to customise your member groups to say, "Ghost", "Animal" etc? Proboards and Conforums have that also.

Proboards and Conforums own the software to their boards, and a free board features Google ads automatically. For example, I wasn't going to spam one of my boards but if you click here you'll see the layout.
  • Options
    Well, I have a Proboards board and a Conforums board. By a "repping system" do you mean the "karma system" where members can vote for each other? Proboards has that. Or do you mean, you want to be able to customise your member groups to say, "Ghost", "Animal" etc? Proboards and Conforums have that also.

Proboards and Conforums own the software to their boards, and a free board features Google ads automatically. For example, I wasn't going to spam one of my boards but if you click here you'll see the layout.

yeah thats what i mean the karma system.... lol nice way to put it.

so that people have an incentive to try and come up with god posts and informative posts.

and the ghost animal bit is god too and is more common than forums that offer the repping system.

they feature google ads... fine...
    but what if you buy it out to make it ad free??

can you then give it to google and rake the profits in urself ??

i saw your forum...& i like it in every way barring the colour.

can we have a chat over this?
    yahoo messanger or in the chat room of this forum if it has one??

Swim the magic ocean,
  • Options
    armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • Options
    yeah i did all that.

i have a question... what other softwares are available for forum hosting besides invision, phphb and the vBulletin (not free, this one) ???

and which is the best of the free softwares.

can anyone please give me an opinion ??

Swim the magic ocean,
  • Options
    armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    yeah i did all that.

i have a question... what other softwares are available for forum hosting besides invision, phphb and the vBulletin (not free, this one) ???

and which is the best of the free softwares.

can anyone please give me an opinion ??

What's wrong with those? I've used phpBB before, it's great.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • Options
    ok last question about this matter (it being the weekend the sites i wrote to arnt answering )

which forum hosting site can you suggest that will (1) let me start it free and then (2) make it ad-free for a price and (3) let me then give it to google ads to rake in the profits myself.

most would allow up to #2, and #1 is very common, but i would like to go for a forum hosting site that allows for step #3 as well.

or

tell me, suppose i really get the forum on the road and have lots of members,
    will it be possible for me to SHIFT????

like go to another forum hoster where i could rake in profits myself (through gogle ads or other ads) after paying them (the new forum providers) the requisite money for hosting the forum for me.

is thats ( ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ) possible, then i dont mind till step #2 or even #1 only.

thanks for your help.

Swim the magic ocean,