Kings of Leon...

EPOTTSIIIEPOTTSIII Posts: 190
edited November 2008 in Other Music
Ok, been a hardcore PJ fan since TEN hit. I saw kings of Leon a few times and thought they were good. Never thought of buying their shit though...
I obviously knew that they opened for Pearl Jam a lot in the past tours and still nothing. There is a station 104.5 in Philly and they play all the "popular"
Kings of Leon stuff and I started to like it. Found out they had a new CD out and bought it. THAT CD IS AMAZING!
Seriously.....ANYONE..??

Well.. I have all the old CD's now and its still true, the new CD is worth why they are big now. I WANT THAT VIRGINIA BEACH POSTER SOOOO BAD NOW!!

2 reasons : The BEST LOOKING poster of '08 and it's F'n Pearl Jam and Kings of Leon!!!

AGREED???
9/29/1996 NY
9/1&2/2000 Camden
7/6/2003 Camden
5/27/2006 Camden 6/1&3/2006 NJ
6/19/2008 Camden, 6/22/2008 Washington DC, 6/25/2008 NY
8/7/2008 Eddie Vedder NJ, 6/11/2008 Eddie Vedder Philly (3rd Row! Thanks 10c!!)
10/28,30&31/2009 Philly
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• aha shake heartbreak ftw!
    I miss you hippiemom.
  • I haven't heard Aha shake yet, but out of the three albums I've heard Only By the Night is probably my favorite. Joe's Head is my favorite song though.
  • KOL are HUGE here in Aus.

Unfortunately I'm definitely NOT a fan :( So the fact that everytime I turn on the radio or one of the music chanels - it's KOL and it's driving me nuts! :eek:

Really happy that they've finally hit the big time, though :) They've suddenly gained a LOT of new fans :)
  • Their newest CD actually sounds nothing like the other CDs. The new one definitely has more of an arena rock atmosphere to it. I agree with the earlier post that Aha Shake is their best work; beginning to end, that album is awesome.
    and i stare you back
    oh blue eyes, i've seen it
    if just once i could feel love
    oh stare back at me, yeah..
  • Vookie23Vookie23 Posts: 607
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    KOL kicks almost as much ass as Pearl Jam :D
    Seriously though, they are amazing live.

Completely agree with you on that VA Beach poster! Too bad that show had a pretty average setlist. Certainly nothing to live up to that kick ass poster.

Yeah and no, when I saw them open in Melb they seemed really nervous, almost dare I say it over awed. On one night the crowd was chanting for them to sing one of there songs but from what I remember Caleb said it wan't on the set list or it wasn't rehearsed. They just seemed a bit too scripted for me, but it was early in the tour. BUT kick as much ass as Pearl Jam, never!! Not even close, maybe I'm wrong but we'll see how long they last
    "Futures Above, But In The Past He's Slow and Sinking"

Canberra 95, Melbourne 03, Melbourne 1,2,3. 06, Sydney 3, 06, Newcastle 06, Adelaide 1,2 06, Adelaide 09, Melbourne 09, Sydney 09, Brisbane 09, Canberra 11, Newcastle 11, Sydney 1,2. 11, Melbourne 1,2. 11
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    KOL are HUGE here in Aus.

Unfortunately I'm definitely NOT a fan :( So the fact that everytime I turn on the radio or one of the music chanels - it's KOL and it's driving me nuts! :eek:

Really happy that they've finally hit the big time, though :) They've suddenly gained a LOT of new fans :)

better jump on the bandwagon. you don't wanta get left behind.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • better jump on the bandwagon. you don't wanta get left behind.
    No thanks!
  • And WTF is this 'band wagon' everyone's bitchin about ? :rolleyes: Is that the people who might not have paid much attention to KOL before or heard of them and have only recently been introduced to them and like them? Are new fans not 'real' fans or something?
    Isn't that the aim of a music artist.....to gain new fans (as well as keep the existing ones).
    Is it a way for long time fans to act like they're better (for some reason) because they have liked them for longer?

*coughelitistscough* :rolleyes:
  • danedane Posts: 1,062
    Not shure this is the right place to post, but nevermind 'cause KOL kicks ass!!
    Didn't really become a fan 'till I heard On Call, so I'm also a new follower. Saw them this summer at Roskilde and I just scored tix for the Copenhagen gig next year. They're great live too. They know how to get the enrgy out to the audience.
    So far, I think Only By The Night is their best. So it's no wonder that they've gained alot of new fans. It's easier accesable - if that's even a word - than the old albums.
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
    :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
    "This is not wine that I'm drinking tonight. This is Gatorade!" EV-Copenhagen 26-06-07
    And WTF is this 'band wagon' everyone's bitchin about ? :rolleyes: Is that the people who might not have paid much attention to KOL before or heard of them and have only recently been introduced to them and like them? Are new fans not 'real' fans or something?
    Isn't that the aim of a music artist.....to gain new fans (as well as keep the existing ones).
    Is it a way for long time fans to act like they're better (for some reason) because they have liked them for longer?

sorry, did i bitch????

i don't care when how or why someone gets interested in a band. hell i only heard about what are they called? pearl jam?? when they toured with KOL in 06. :D
  • sorry, did i bitch????

i don't care when how or why someone gets interested in a band. hell i only heard about what are they called? pearl jam?? when they toured with KOL in 06. :D
    No you didn't, fishy.....that's why I didn't put it in my reply to you :) (made it a separate post)

But I'm reading a lot of whining about this 'band wagon' in relation to KOL and I just don't get it :rolleyes:
    It's like saying....unless you like a band (or singer - whatever) right from the get-go.....you're not really a fan :rolleyes:

As I said earlier....I am NOT a KOL fan....but I'm glad that this new album has gained them so many new fans - good on 'em! :)
  • I was in the exact same boat. Knew they opened for PJ, thought nothing else of it. Heard 'Sex on Fire' about 3 weeks ago, and it's one of maybe 5 songs in my lifetime that has grabbed me by the balls immediately. Bought Only by the Night, and it fuckin' rocks. I'm definitely going to get their older stuff!
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
    but I'm glad that this new album has gained them so many new fans - good on 'em! :)

i honestly think because of the times is a better album, but yeah this one has gained them a shitload of mainstream media attention.
  • you have to go along way to beat the 'rawness' of the 1st two albums but they have been quoted saying they don't like the 'feel' of the 1st two albums (mainly because they were not mixed to be radio friendly)...i do love the new one and because of the times....but they are rising up quite fast now and hopefully it won't 'lose' them too much of the original support

i'm finally pulling my finger out of my arse to see them in 2 weeks and i was tempted to see them next june until i saw the price per ticket had gone up £10 for the same venues....i thought that wasn't good of them so i'm not bothering

i do love this band...and they have to cement themselves into a solid status to protect their success. I have no problem with this because the songs still have a valley full of emotion and heart behind them even though they are more 'finished' than earlier ones

saying that i don't want to be stood next to someone who only knows 'sex on fire' at the gig....i wold have to slap them :)

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell

• saying that i don't want to be stood next to someone who only knows 'sex on fire' at the gig....i wold have to slap them :)
    LMAO!!! :D
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    if I hear another single from the new album I will puke... they are everywhere now I'm sick of them now. Their fanbase has changed thats for sure.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • yeah i just bought KoL tickets for Louisville, Ky yesterday. They are coming on Jan. 20th. Can't wait. I have seen them twice. (Lolla and Va. Beach opening for Pearl Jam) Never actually seen a full show where they are the headliner though. How long do they typically play? Pretty pumped about it. I wish Pearl Jam was the opener. haha
    Lexington 4.21.03, Chicago 5.16.06, Cincinnati 6.24.06, Lollapalooza 8.5.07, Virginia Beach 6.17.08, Camden 6.19.08, Camden 6.20.08, East Troy (PJ20) 9.3.11, East Troy (PJ20) 9.4.11, Wrigley 7.19.13, Pittsburgh 10.11.13, Cincinnati 10.1.14, Lexington 4.26.16, Wrigley 8.20.16, Wrigley 8.22.16, Wrigley 8.18.18, Wrigley 8.20.2018, Fenway 9.4.18, New York 3.30.20, Nashville 4.2.20, St. Louis 4.4.20, Bourbon & Beyond 9.17.22, Indianapolis 9.10.2023
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    I got this poster off of ebay shortly after the 07 tour when I saw them for the first time for less than $10 :)

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/88753
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Zoso wrote:
    if I hear another single from the new album I will puke... they are everywhere now I'm sick of them now. Their fanbase has changed thats for sure.
    sorry but pearl jam is mainstream too. are you sick of them now?

KOL are great. I actually prefer there first two albums to the last two. I have seen them a few times. They are good live, not great, but I think they pretty much play the same set each night.
    My whole life looked like a picture of a sunny day.

Summerfest 95, 06 Alpine 92, 98, 00, 03 Chicago 95, 98, 00, 03, 06, 07 Grand Rapids 04, St. John's 05 Milwaukee 08
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    They are good live, not great, but I think they pretty much play the same set each night.
    sadly, this is true. I've recently DL a few of their live boots and they are all pretty much the same :(
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • sorry but pearl jam is mainstream too. are you sick of them now?
    :confused: Not here in Australia, they aren't.
  • MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    dane wrote:
    It's easier accesable - if that's even a word - than the old albums.

That's actually how I feel about their third album, Because of the Times. I think that is their best album. It's absolutely amazing.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • OkOk Posts: 2,144
    KOL are definitely good in concert, but I have to agree that their previous albums are better than the current "radio friendly" stuff (although not all bad). they are definitely one of the best bands to open for PJ (Ted and the Rx are no comparison....)
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    And WTF is this 'band wagon' everyone's bitchin about ? :rolleyes: Is that the people who might not have paid much attention to KOL before or heard of them and have only recently been introduced to them and like them? Are new fans not 'real' fans or something?

all of the "band wagon" labels..............come from the pearligious rightwing.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • mavimavi Posts: 941
    I loved their first two albums (Aha Shake is AMAZING), was ok with Because of the Times and am not so crazy about the new one... Talented kids, no doubt, I'm not losing hope ;)

Shouldn't this thread be in other music?
    "He who hears music, feels his solitude peopled at once" R. Browning
  • Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 1,977
    KOL are great, youth and young manhood is such a good album, saw them open for the strokes and they put on quite the show. Aha shake is another great album, because of the times was solid, I am just not into the new album that much. There are some good tunes but as a whole it just doesnt work for me. Anyone who likes the new album definately needs to check out all the older stuff.
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    racecar wrote:
    Their newest CD actually sounds nothing like the other CDs. The new one definitely has more of an arena rock atmosphere to it. I agree with the earlier post that Aha Shake is their best work; beginning to end, that album is awesome.
    cheers to that!! Aha Shake, one of the best albums ever...
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    I'm a BIG Kings of Leon fan, since the first time I saw them open for Pearl Jam. I think they're the type of band where people either love 'em or hate 'em...Caleb's voice isn't the norm :-)

I feel like they're loosening up a bit on stage, but still need to relax--but that's not gonna stop me from seeing them whenever I can!!

Only By the Night has some awesome songs--Closer, Be Somebody and Crawl are my favorites...have a listen!
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • buy Kings of Leon on vinyl! its awesome!

aha shake on 12" white vinyl....yummy!

im glad the kings havent made it huge here in the USA. basically, if youre not R&B or top 40 then you dont make it huge here. fine with me, it means i get to see the Kings of Leon in small clubs still! but in europe they are playing monster stadiums and sold out shows....
    I shit and I stink, I'm real, join the club...
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I was suckered into them finally after hearing "sex on fire" a million times on the radio. I tried getting into them numerous times and couldn't. I just thought they flat out sucked. Now I downloaded their new cd (couldn't see myself buying something I originally hated) and like it alot. I thought they were terrible, but Only By Night is very good. Closer, Crawl, Sex On Fire, Be Somebody, Use Somebody are all kick ass songs.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09