Options

Attending "social events" alone?

Comments

• Options
    do what makes you happy. :)

i will go just about anywhere solo...dinner....movies...gigs....etc. i prefer company, but hell yes....as you said, if there is no one to join me i am not missing a great time simply b/c i have no one to accompany me. my only exception to flying solo is bars. i won't go out to a bar all alone. at most, a local place, bar within a 'regular' restaurant where i know people there. as a female, it just is too uncomfortable in a bar setting, for me anyway, to be completely solo. otherwise, all else is fair game.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    i only wish i had gotten over the hang-up of doing shows alone earlier, i could have seen some killer PJ gigs in the early days *doy!*

isn't that the truth.......:o
  • Options
    do what makes you happy. :)

i will go just about anywhere solo...dinner....movies...gigs....etc. i prefer company, but hell yes....as you said, if there is no one to join me i am not missing a great time simply b/c i have no one to accompany me. my only exception to flying solo is bars. i won't go out to a bar all alone. at most, a local place, bar within a 'regular' restaurant where i know people there. as a female, it just is too uncomfortable in a bar setting, for me anyway, to be completely solo. otherwise, all else is fair game.
    it's strange, cos I'm uncomfortable alone having dinner, I don't see the point... but I'm perfectly comfortable alone in a pub... I think it's easier for women cos men chat ya up :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    audiodave wrote:
    Does anyone do this? What is your take on it?

I went to see a band on my own last night, and a few people were quite surprised that I would do this alone. If I want to do something, i'm not going to miss out just because no one else wants to do it.

So what's the verdict? Is it strange to do things on your own? Or is it just that people think it's strange because society tells them that they have to spend every waking hour with another person?

Oh, and for all the people who are going to tell me to "get some friends" or something like that, I have friends. But i'm just as comfortable in my own company. So please save your jokes and snide comments. :)

Nah Dave...

Twas only jealousy that you were seeing the Biff....;)

Not surprised you went alone....just miffed you never asked ME!!

:D:p
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    I would feel terrible in situation where there were people in groups and i was alone. It happened to me once in the pub, and i had to leave the place cause i couldn't stand being there anymore.

BUT i enjoy going to galleries and museums on my own, if i go with people i can't concentrate on subjects ( paintings, sculptures) well, because those people become my prime subjects of interest....and unfortunately i found couple of friends who go to galleries with me now. :( :):D

i also don't mind going to the cinema on my own, or some certain type of event. and i prefer to do my shopping alone.
  • Options
    fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I went to see Pearl Jam on my own. Myself and my mate were suppose to go but I make of a balls of the ordering of tickets. Anyway too days before the gig and a few more before my birthday I said I can't miss out on PEarl Jam so I went up myself and bought the tickets off the toutes
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    When ye think about it... those of us who travelled worldwide are just loners goin to pearl jam... but together!

I'd have no problems in going anywhere on my own, I'm goin on holidays on my own in Dec and doesn't bother me. If I had to wait for any of my mates to decide, I'd never get anywhere!

If ye wanna go somewhere on yer own... just do it!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    As many have said already, I don't mind going alone to concerts at all. I've been to around 5 shows solo and had a great time at each one. I might be going to the theater solo this weekend to see Into the Wild, so no problemo there either. I haven't done the restaurant thing alone, as that would be a little too boring. But yeah, if you want to do something: "Nike."
  • Options
    Jennytree wrote:
    When ye think about it... those of us who travelled worldwide are just loners goin to pearl jam... but together!

I'd have no problems in going anywhere on my own, I'm goin on holidays on my own in Dec and doesn't bother me. If I had to wait for any of my mates to decide, I'd never get anywhere!

If ye wanna go somewhere on yer own... just do it!
    oh you're definitely never ever alone at a PJ concert :o . Sooo easy to even get talking to people in teh queue... especially if you're there all day :eek: what else is there to do?

I'd like to go on holiday by myself sometime... just never got around to it cos I've too many friends to catch up with :o but I think it would be so entirely stress free and fabulous :) have fun Jenny, where ya off to?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    OdinOdin Posts: 599
    Traveling - almost always better alone, in my experience, because you get to do things on your own terms. Exploring foreign lands by yourself is unbeatable, IMO.

Concerts - depends on who you're with and which band you're seeing. Sometimes, you'll date someone who drags you along to see a bunch of lame, boring bands and in return she won't be totally into the awesomer bands that you dragged HER along to see. I went to one Pearl Jam concert in 2005 with a few other board members and another in 2006 by myself... 10,000 miles away from home. Had a great time at both shows.

Bars - usually won't go alone unless I absolutely want to get shitfaced somewhere other than my own room.

Nightclubs - only when I am really horny and want to hook up.

Movies - no way. Maybe on weekday afternoons if I take a day off from work.....but I wouldn't be caught dead by myself at a theatre on weekends.

Eating out - take out, yes... eat-in, usually not.

"When ye think about it... those of us who travelled worldwide are just loners goin to pearl jam... but together!"

Amen to that! I found that out a year ago when I saw Pearl Jam in Sydney!
  • Options
    hmm... I've just realised how I've no problem going to a pub on my own... but generally when my friend and I see guys on their own in the pub, we usually talk about how creepy that is :eek: :o . Shite, I'm a creep! :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    hmm... I've just realised how I've no problem going to a pub on my own... but generally when my friend and I see guys on their own in the pub, we usually talk about how creepy that is :eek: :o . Shite, I'm a creep! :o
    So it's ok for you, but not ok for a guy? :p Hmm.

And why is it creepy?
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    audiodave wrote:
    So it's ok for you, but not ok for a guy? :p Hmm.

And why is it creepy?
    :D that's what I'm laughing about... my double standards :o

I dunno why it's creepy. Just the pub I drink, the kinda guys that tend to go in there alone seem quite... predatory! :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Odin wrote:
    Movies - no way. Maybe on weekday afternoons if I take a day off from work.....but I wouldn't be caught dead by myself at a theatre on weekends.
    see, I don't understand the problem at all with cinema..it's not like you're talking to anyone (I hope you don't :mad: )
    anyway, I never go at the weekend, too expensive...tuesday night at Cineworld Wandsworth, £4.50 :) (or over days at Vue with a reduc card for £6.50..you catch me paying £8-10 for a bloody cinema ticket unless it's a very special screening i.e. festival)
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    see, I don't understand the problem at all with cinema..it's not like you're talking to anyone (I hope you don't :mad: )
    anyway, I never go at the weekend, too expensive...tuesday night at Cineworld Wandsworth, £4.50 :) (or over days at Vue with a reduc card for £6.50..you catch me paying £8-10 for a bloody cinema ticket unless it's a very special screening i.e. festival)
    £10????? I though 10EURO was ridiculous.

I generally don't mind cinema costs though cos I do enjoy the couple of hours to just switch off :o . I find it quite therapeutic.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Odin wrote:
    Traveling - almost always better alone, in my experience, because you get to do things on your own terms.

Amen to that.

Cause you don't have to wait for other people to make up their mind on what they want to do.
  • Options
    If you are fine with it then...have fun.
    You will probably meet more people when you are alone then when you are with friends.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    audiodave wrote:

I went to see a band on my own last night, and a few people were quite surprised that I would do this alone. If I want to do something, i'm not going to miss out just because no one else wants to do it.

So what's the verdict? Is it strange to do things on your own? Or is it just that people think it's strange because society tells them that they have to spend every waking hour with another person?

Oh, and for all the people who are going to tell me to "get some friends" or something like that, I have friends. But i'm just as comfortable in my own company. So please save your jokes and snide comments. :)

If I want to go somewhere, I will go, regardless of having someone with me.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    it's strange, cos I'm uncomfortable alone having dinner, I don't see the point... but I'm perfectly comfortable alone in a pub... I think it's easier for women cos men chat ya up :D

well duh. just so you know... any guy who tries to chat you up wants to ahve sex with you, you know that right? they're not just hoping to make a new friend. ;)
  • Options
    well duh. just so you know... any guy who tries to chat you up wants to ahve sex with you, you know that right? they're not just hoping to make a new friend. ;)
    Words of wisdom indeed. :p
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

• Options

no, just a mean-spirited hypocrite. remember that gay guy you were so pissed about making fun of decent people?
  • Options
    Odin wrote:
    Nightclubs - only when I am really horny and want to hook up.

i think you might want to reevaluate which of these is the lame thing to do alone.
  • Options
    :rolleyes: I know the difference between a guy chatting me up and a friend that I've known for quite some time... pretty obvious differences really (usually that I've MET the latter before)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    no, just a mean-spirited hypocrite. remember that gay guy you were so pissed about making fun of decent people?
    :confused: Nope! Doesn't ring a bell.

:p
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    audiodave wrote:

So what's the verdict? Is it strange to do things on your own?
    erm, no. err,odd.

erm, oddness. Hell yeah!

Nah, you just feel a lil self-conscious thats all, I would, you probably do as thats why you've started this thread. Im not a gregarious soul, so it could disturb my frail sensibilities, thus hindering my enjoyment. Though I wouldnt think anything of anybody I saw by themselves.
  • Options
    very reason why I don't go to pub alones...it seems only weirdos want to have sex with me (if the chat-up was by handsome guys, I'd be at the pub every night! :p)
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    I've often eaten alone at a restaurant..(if you're hungry, you're hungry)
    And going to the cinema alone is hardly a problem...you can't talk while the films on.
    I'm not saying I wouldn't go to a gig alone, just that I'd prefer to share the experience with a few like-minded friends.
    And it makes the journey home a bit more fun.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    I've often eaten alone at a restaurant..(if you're hungry, you're hungry)
    And going to the cinema alone is hardly a problem...you can't talk while the films on.
    I'm not saying I wouldn't go to a gig alone, just that I'd prefer to share the experience with a few like-minded friends.
    And it makes the journey home a bit more fun.
    the journey home is ALWAYS alone..so that point is lost...
  • Options
    elmer wrote:
    Nah, you just feel a lil self-conscious thats all, I would, you probably do as thats why you've started this thread. Im not a gregarious soul, so it could disturb my frail sensibilities, thus hindering my enjoyment. Though I wouldnt think anything of anybody I saw by themselves.
    Not especially self conscious. I see no problem in it myself. Just wondered what everyone else's take on it was.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• Options
    I do it all the time for concerts.

I'd rather be alone than having to worry about my friends at the concert. For example at Werchter I was able to get to the front row, but had I been with someone, I would not have been able to cause I'd be worried about getting separated in teh crowd.

I went alone to the following concerts:
    Bridge School 06 (both nights)
    Venice 07
    Werchter 07 (2 nights).

I went with a friend to Nijmegen 07 and I was always worried that he wasn't enjoying himself. By myself I don't have to worry about it!
    Cincinnati '03 Flooded venue!
    Bridge School '06 Night 1 & 2
    Venice '07 pummeled by the sleet! 
    Nijmegen '07
    Werchter '07
    April Fools ~ LA1
This discussion has been closed.