Options

The nicest thing someone has done for you

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    It was about 1996 or so. I had a coupon for a latte at Lighthouse Roasters in Seattle. It wasn't for the one near Fremont, but one north of the U-District.

I couldn't find it, and I had to go to a payphone for directions. The barista on the phone gave me directions. When I finally arrived, it was closed, but the barista was standing outside talking with someone. He said, "Are you the one that called?" I said I was. I told him about my coupon, and even though it was closed, he made me a latte, and he didn't charge me for it even though the name of the cafe had changed. I gave him a $2.00 tip. Just a tip on the iceberg of nice things people have done for me.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Yesterday, I was writing on msn with a Swedish friend of mine, told him how I don't want tomorrow (today) be tomorrow and that I was actually pretty scared and everything.
    This morning, I got a text message, asking me how the day went and that he hopes it's fine.

It's probably not the nicest thing someone has EVER done for me, and it's not very classical. But well, this meant much to me and it cheered me up quite a lot, so I thought I'd share anyways. I know a lot of people who would've not even thought of doing that, so I was really... touched.

Sort of related but after a crap day yesterday I sent a dear someone a text to say about my crap day and this morning had a PM wishing me a better day today!!! Little things like that make a BIG difference!!! So thank you :)
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    This one just poped up in my head prolly cause I was just tellin this story to a friend of mine the other week.

I went to the grocery store, bought some food and used their pay phone.
    I had took my wallet out of my pocket at the pay phone I guess and sat it down on the shelf thingy that holds the pay-phone.

I go home without my wallet.
    I notice the wallet is missing, I call the store
    and she says yes someone found your wallet.
    The lady who found my wallet gave her phone number
    to the cash register lady to give to whomever would be in search
    of the wallet.

I call the number, she meets me at the store after i describe to her
    my wallet.

She gives me my wallet and also hands me one of those lil paper back thin bible like magazine thingys.

Inside my wallet all my stuff was still there.
    70 dollars in food stamps.
    50 dollars or so in cash.
    A large cut out picture of a vagina that I used as a seal for holding
    powdered drugs, it was full of crank.
    I tried giving her a 20 spot but she refused.
    Shortly after this I quit snorting dope.

Thank you whoever you are, you're the sweet old lady who saved me from
    a horrible addiction.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    chadwick wrote:
    This one just poped up in my head prolly cause I was just tellin this story to a friend of mine the other week.

I went to the grocery store, bought some food and used their pay phone.
    I had took my wallet out of my pocket at the pay phone I guess and sat it down on the shelf thingy that holds the pay-phone.

I go home without my wallet.
    I notice the wallet is missing, I call the store
    and she says yes someone found your wallet.
    The lady who found my wallet gave her phone number
    to the cash register lady to give to whomever would be in search
    of the wallet.

I call the number, she meets me at the store after i describe to her
    my wallet.

She gives me my wallet and also hands me one of those lil paper back thin bible like magazine thingys.

Inside my wallet all my stuff was still there.
    70 dollars in food stamps.
    50 dollars or so in cash.
    A large cut out picture of a vagina that I used as a seal for holding
    powdered drugs, it was full of crank.
    I tried giving her a 20 spot but she refused.
    Shortly after this I quit snorting dope.

Thank you whoever you are, you're the sweet old lady who saved me from
    a horrible addiction.

That is strangely, uniquely awesome!! Made me smile. I'm glad you're not an addict :D. Strange how things like that come about!
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • Options
    PJPixie wrote:
    That is strangely, uniquely awesome!! Made me smile. I'm glad you're not an addict :D. Strange how things like that come about!

Could she have been an angel of sorts?
    I don't know, perhaps.

I have many unanswered incredible events
    that have changed me or have happened to or around me.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    it's always ME doing the nice things.

damn.

:)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:
    it's always ME doing the nice things.

damn.

:)

Then you're doing good.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    The girl I was dating at the time gave me Ten and Nevermind for christmas.

The rest, they say, is history...
    1998-6/20, 6/21
    2003-6/1, 10/25
    2005-8/29, 9/4
    2006-7/2, 7/22, 7/23
    2008-4/15(EV solo)
    2009-9/21, 9/22, 9/28
    2011-9/3, 9/4
    2012-9/30
    2013-7/19, 11/30
  • Options
    corycory Posts: 736
    Before my dad died, he was in such bad shape he pawned his beloved golf clubs. 12 years later, the guy that bought them tracked me down and gave them to me. I, in turn, gave them to my grandfather (my dad's dad) and it remains the single greatest memory I have of this lifetime just seeing his humbled and overjoyed reaction.

And yes, my kids being born was a good memory too but they grow up to hate you:) This memory will last forever.
    Revive the heart of the heartless...

Why would you start was has no end?
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    cory wrote:
    Before my dad died, he was in such bad shape he pawned his beloved golf clubs. 12 years later, the guy that bought them tracked me down and gave them to me. I, in turn, gave them to my grandfather (my dad's dad) and it remains the single greatest memory I have of this lifetime just seeing his humbled and overjoyed reaction.

And yes, my kids being born was a good memory too but they grow up to hate you:) This memory will last forever.

that is really cool......:)

edit.....well not the dad dying thing but the golf club thing...;) :o
  • Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    hmm
    my parents have helped me a lot along the way

a friend of mine -after I left my ex and in the process, my entire cd collection-bought me some new ones, that was really sweet

same friend has also been very encouraging and helpful through a lot of rough times

oh you know what else
    a different friend
    I was mugged! in broad daylight and it was on President's Day weekend and he came over and loaned me some $ for the weekend b/c my atm card had been stolen. That was amazing. I have been so blessed by the people I have known in my life.
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    Tim - for loving me for who I am and helping me to open up...first time I've been able to do that...that is really a gift :)

My best friend in HS for getting me through my grandmother's death and making me laugh in a multitude of situations in which it seemed impossible

My ex-husband...for proving he's my friend no matter what and that just because relationships change it doesn't mean they have to end
    There's a light when my baby's in my arms :)
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    i wanted to add this one in here to begin with but wasnt sure how to say it so.....
    right up there with that someone being there during SURFERs death, is a nicer than nice gesture by unevenflow, his wife, xxxboxxxjunkie, his wife. a certain "LUCKY" hadd part in it too. 2005. it changed my life & i wont ever forget that as long as i live. there are some damn good people here in THE PIT.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    some beautiful stories people are sharing here, i like reading them.

thinking about a nice thing done for me....when my cat died last year (i had to put her to sleep), my dad and sis went back to pick up her body and buried her for me. i knew there was no way i could do it myself, i was so devastated.

it's hard to narrow down specific things really, i'm not sure why. as i think about it, i'm really blessed to have people around me that love me, and have no problem showing it.

i love the little things, those small gestures. today for example, was having a rough go at work, and my sis calls me and says to meet her out in front of my building. just brought a cookie from our favorite bakery in town, wanting to bring some sweetness. it was something small and simple, but just nice :)
  • Options
    a boat load of some pretty nice people on a certian message board have been helping me cope with my brother being seriously ill. ;)
  • Options
    some beautiful stories people are sharing here, i like reading them.

thinking about a nice thing done for me....when my cat died last year (i had to put her to sleep), my dad and sis went back to pick up her body and buried her for me. i knew there was no way i could do it myself, i was so devastated.

it's hard to narrow down specific things really, i'm not sure why. as i think about it, i'm really blessed to have people around me that love me, and have no problem showing it.

i love the little things, those small gestures. today for example, was having a rough go at work, and my sis calls me and says to meet her out in front of my building. just brought a cookie from our favorite bakery in town, wanting to bring some sweetness. it was something small and simple, but just nice :)

dude it is TOTALLY about the little things. people may think im a dork becuz the smallest, dumbest stuff makes me happy & means more to me than huge exxxpensive stuff.
    For exxxample, a friend from here was out here in cali a few weeks ago to deal with family tragedy. I didnt get to talk to him b4 he got here and i was a bit worried. i felt badd & i was just HOPING he was ok. Out of nowhere, i get a texxxt from him that says he saw the moon when he got here and thought about me. :D that means NOTHING to anyone else but to ME, it was SOOOOO nice becuz during his time of trouble he remembered how i love the moon & thought about me. ahhhhh its the little things. :)

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    dude it is TOTALLY about the little things. people may think im a dork becuz the smallest, dumbest stuff makes me happy & means more to me than huge exxxpensive stuff.
    For exxxample, a friend from here was out here in cali a few weeks ago to deal with family tragedy. I didnt get to talk to him b4 he got here and i was a bit worried. i felt badd & i was just HOPING he was ok. Out of nowhere, i get a texxxt from him that says he saw the moon when he got here and thought about me. :D that means NOTHING to anyone else but to ME, it was SOOOOO nice becuz during his time of trouble he remembered how i love the moon & thought about me. ahhhhh its the little things. :)
    aw that's sweet :) and it's not dumb or dorky, if it is, well then put a big ol' dork hat on me head :D haha

and amen on expensive stuff....money can't buy sincerity, and those small gestures that come from the heart, they mean the most
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    these are some great stories.....keep 'em coming!

what I find to be so nice is that many of them involve people that we have met here.....that's pretty cool ;)
  • Options
    bump for thanksgiving
  • Options
    A couple come to mind:

1) In Seattle 2002, a complete stranger GAVE me his extra tickets to the pearl jam show. He just gave them to me. and they were floor seats.

2) My ex-boyfriend came to visit last month and when he came I had just received a bunch of furniture in the mail that needed to be assembled. When I came home from work the next day, he had assembled them all.

I can't really think of anything else though. I find that whenever I need help with anything, my friends and family require bribes and coersion.
  • Options
    Me and my girl took off of work and school to drive up for the Ashville show. I had a huge accounting test the next day so we had to drive straight back. Normally, she sleeps and I drive. But that night she stayed up the full 6 hours on the way back and quizzed me the entire way back. I made an 82 and it was all because of her.
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    Could she have been an angel of sorts?
    I don't know, perhaps.

I have many unanswered incredible events
    that have changed me or have happened to or around me.
    Me too... FAR too many last minute coincidences! This is why I've such strong faith... I'm not sure in what but there's definitely something making sure things work out ok.

This thread is making me kinda sad though... cos I know I have met some fantastic people along the way who have done great stuff for me and I can think of very few of them :o . Most involve people here on the board texting to say they know I'm having a bad day and they're thinking of me... or getting me the most fantastic gifts... or even just giving me a compilation PJ cd they know I don't have or asking if I'm ok for certain download stuff that they know I can't do or putting me up when I want to go stay in their part of the world.

I remember when I left in Paris and I ended up having to come home a week early cos of financial reasons, I was pissed off cos I couldn't afford to get my niece a present. A friend of mine who came along to say goodbye had it covered. She worked in a gift shop and with her employee discount got me a Paris tshirt (somehow in my nieces size) and a mini eiffel tower :o . I was the best aunt in the world :D . I hadn't even been hinting but had just mentioned it in passing.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    My musical guilty pleasure is the Goo Goo Dolls. This past year, one of my online forum friends managed to score us an invite to a private gig in LA at a small club where they would be performing.

I had never met this chick in my life, only known her on-line.

I was a total skeptic. But you only live once, right? I flew from Portland, Or to LA and stayed in a hotel and showed up at the venue all on faith and no real proof this was even going to be real.

Sure as shit when I showed up at the club and gave the bouncer my name, I was on the list for entry. It was a total party. Alcohol and free food everywhere. There were only about 200 people total in attendance. Totally intimate. I rested my arms on the stage and watched one of the best shows of my life thanks to my Goo-friend, Paula.
  • Options
    My musical guilty pleasure is the Goo Goo Dolls. This past year, one of my online forum friends managed to score us an invite to a private gig in LA at a small club where they would be performing.

I had never met this chick in my life, only known her on-line.

I was a total skeptic. But you only live once, right? I flew from Portland, Or to LA and stayed in a hotel and showed up at the venue all on faith and no real proof this was even going to be real.

Sure as shit when I showed up at the club and gave the bouncer my name, I was on the list for entry. It was a total party. Alcohol and free food everywhere. There were only about 200 people total in attendance. Totally intimate. I rested my arms on the stage and watched one of the best shows of my life thanks to my Goo-friend, Paula.

that's awesome! they are one of my guilty pleasures too ;)
  • Options
    last summer at the "secret" pearl jam show in hollywood, it was the greatest night of my life. the only way in was to WIN tickets from our radio station out here in L.A. someone won and gave me their exxxtra. i havnt posted about that night AT ALL cuz it was way too unbelievable for me. Everyone knows how i adore The Master Sir McCready so all of those that were there KNOW what that night meant to me. I have looked for pics from that night and even a bootleg. At the time there werent ANY. Just last week someone sent me the entire show for my birthday! :D i listened to it alone on a long drive and hadd major chills remembering EVERY MINUTE. the beginning when they walked out & The Master came and looked at my shirt. The minute they started and he stood in front of me. After dissident when Ed says "good morning campers!" and looked right at me and my frenz..... ahhh so many memories. THIS is a major somn nice done for me. :D THANK YOU.

• Options
    Yep, to all the people who gave me their spare tickets... first off vedder4prez for the ticket to the Astoria... he also trusted me enough to send the tickets and HOPE I was trustworthy enough to collect off the other guy and send the cash in the post :o . That's quite a brilliant gesture considering I hadn't even chatted to the guy before.

newagehippie for his Dublin wristband, leash for his Verona 4th row seat, wolfamongwolves for London and Copenhagen this year and theseeker74 for the Vic :) . Pegasus for making sure we GOT the vic tickets :) . Pinon for putting me up in Oslo, Redrock for putting me up in London, evenkat for all the nice gifts she's sent me.

I fucking love this place :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you