Legal Question- PLEASE HELP!!

Spot In The SkySpot In The Sky Posts: 1,175
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
My credit card says "Dr. Kevin...." but I am not a real doctor.

Is it illegal for me to sign "MD" after my name on a receipt? I was told it was, and someone is now saying it isnt.
"The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000

Is it illegal for me to sign "MD" after my name on a receipt? I was told it was, and someone is now saying it isnt.

Why the hell would you do that?
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    I wouldn't trust someone's opinion from a message board on a legal matter. If you really need to know the answer to this, you should contact a lawyer.

I mean no offense to the people that mean well, but don't really know the law and give their opinion anyway.
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776

if you are not a real doctor, then why do you have the title on your CC?

trying to impress waitresses and cashiers?
  • I wouldn't trust someone's opinion from a message board on a legal matter. If you really need to know the answer to this, you should contact a lawyer.

I mean no offense to the people that mean well, but don't really know the law and give their opinion anyway.

Agreed. Each state has different rules regarding the practice of medicine and what does and does not constitute a penalty for claiming to be a physician when one isn't. Find an attorney in your state who knows what the state Board of Medical Examiner's policy is.
    The Daystar

"But --you say that Dreams have no power here? Tell me, Lucifer Morningstar...Ask yourselves, all of you...What power would hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to Dream of Heaven?" Dream speaking to Lucifer as written by Neil Gaiman.
  • you should call your cc to change it. but
    if you have a cc with dr on it then no it isnt a problem. if you sign your name john smith MD, then yes it is. you are posing as a dr. and if anyone asks you a question (even if they sneeze and you say wow, looks like you have acold) then technically you would be committing fraud. plus if people think you are a dr. and something happens they would try to get you to help.
    and trust me "is there a dr in the house" really does happen.

now, i wont even mention that just because something isnt illegal doesnt make it right.
    mean people suck!
    but nice people sw****w

• xscorchoxscorcho Posts: 409
    you have a doctorate just not in medicine? is that what it means that you are not a "real" dr?

and i didnt realize credit cards put titles like that on them.

and i have no idea the answer to your question.
  • Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996

Do you just play one on the Message Pit? ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Where is Soulsinging? I think he's a lawyer.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    Danimal wrote:

I thought he was still going to school?

I really didn't read through the whole thread but if you are not a doctor I dont think you should be signing "MD" if you aren't in fact a medical doctor.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    only a medical doctor can add the M.D. after the name; however, Im pretty sure there is no law against calling yourself Dr.
    as in
    Dr. J

pretty sure thats law in all states, also, most states used to allow only MDs to have MD on their license plate

why would you want to keep it if you are not a dr?
  • if you are a Dr. from a PhD, then you can add PhD (you should know this unless you got your PhD from some mail in thing)

if you are a Dr. because you proclaimed yourself to be one - then you can not sign your name with MD following. That is impersonating a medical professional and depending on your state that is a misdemeanor (and if you perform a medical examination or service it is a felony)

you already said that you are not "really a Dr." which implies to me that you do not have your PhD., either...so what gives?
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Danimal wrote:

in law school. it would take more time than it's worth for me to figure out the local law here. im just curious why the hell he's signing MD on receipts? it should be easy to change the credit card thing and it makes sense to do that asap regardless of the law.
  • My credit card says "Dr. Kevin...." but I am not a real doctor.

i work with a lot of real doctors and none of them write MD after their name. unless maybe when writing a prescription.

regardless....this has fraud written all over it. and even if it isnt ILLEGAL....i would question your morals. if you want people to call you doctor and if you want to write MD after signing your name...then put the work and time and effort in and go to med school and become a doctor.
    Seems that needlessly it's getting harder
    To find an approach and a way to live
    Are we getting something out of this
    all-encompassing trip?
    tremorvoid wrote:
    i work with a lot of real doctors and none of them write MD after their name. unless maybe when writing a prescription.

regardless....this has fraud written all over it. and even if it isnt ILLEGAL....i would question your morals. if you want people to call you doctor and if you want to write MD after signing your name...then put the work and time and effort in and go to med school and become a doctor.

it is illegal to portray yourself as a medical Dr when you are not
    and only Medical Dr. can legally put MD after their names

same with esq.

and I is a landshark
  • xscorcho wrote:
    you have a doctorate just not in medicine? is that what it means that you are not a "real" dr?

and i didnt realize credit cards put titles like that on them.

and i have no idea the answer to your question.

i have a doctorate....that means doctor of philosophy...aka Ph.D. not M.D. and no Ph.D.'s are not "real" doctors in the sense that we cannot make medical decisions...but we are still a Dr. and entitled to have Dr. on forms and what not. but still...why would you want to broadcast being a Dr. no matter what form on a credit card. If i was a thief, and found a cc with Dr. John Smith....I would be saying JACKPOT! kinda stupid to put DR. on your cc's if you ask me.
    Seems that needlessly it's getting harder
    To find an approach and a way to live
    Are we getting something out of this
    all-encompassing trip?
  • Get_Right wrote:
    it is illegal to portray yourself as a medical Dr when you are not
    and only Medical Dr. can legally put MD after their names

same with esq.

and I is a landshark
    You is???

:D I works fer da landsharks ternd Ambiens. ;)
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
    You is???

:D I works fer da landsharks ternd Ambiens. ;)

tru dat tru dat

sorry to hear you work for one of us
    I wouldnt want to!!!
  • Get_Right wrote:
    tru dat tru dat

sorry to hear you work for one of us
    I wouldnt want to!!!

well doesn't it help to explain my Dom tendencies outside of the office??? (truthfully inside the office as well!) ;)
    well doesn't it help to explain my Dom tendencies outside of the office??? (truthfully inside the office as well!) ;)

actually that makes sense
    you dont take any shit from the egomaniacs
    Im willing to bet
  • Get_Right wrote:
    actually that makes sense
    you dont take any shit from the egomaniacs
    Im willing to bet

:D but really, I am a sweetie ;)
    :D but really, I am a sweetie ;)

I have no reason to believe otherwise.
  • Get_Right wrote:
    I have no reason to believe otherwise.

wow that WAS a lawyerly statement...nice bet hedging and all...

:D
    wow that WAS a lawyerly statement...nice bet hedging and all...

:D

hahaha

guilty as charged

:)
  • ;)

So...I guess since you can put anything on a credit card I am going to go with M.D., Esq. and a prefix of HRM. :rolleyes:
    ;)

So...I guess since you can put anything on a credit card I am going to go with M.D., Esq. and a prefix of HRM. :rolleyes:

sweet and modest too I see!
    Her royal majesty????

:rolleyes:
  • Man I cant believe how harsh you guys are with this...I checked the "Dr." box when filling out my credit card application to see if they would do it, and they did, and it was really funny cause everyone who knows me, knows Im not a doctor. Im 23, look 18, so I get a lot of funny looks when people see that, and some random questions.
    When they say what kind of doctor are you- I always reply with "I have a doctorate in Russian civil war literature" and no one knows if that even exists, so they dont question it.
    You all made me feel really bad about myself...none of you think it would be fun to have a title on your card for something obviously not true? No harm putting Father on there!!
    Well thanks for the feedback.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Get_Right wrote:
    sweet and modest too I see!
    Her royal majesty????

:rolleyes:

hahahaa well I am queenie sometimes. :rolleyes:
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Man I cant believe how harsh you guys are with this...I checked the "Dr." box when filling out my credit card application to see if they would do it, and they did, and it was really funny cause everyone who knows me, knows Im not a doctor. Im 23, look 18, so I get a lot of funny looks when people see that, and some random questions.
    When they say what kind of doctor are you- I always reply with "I have a doctorate in Russian civil war literature" and no one knows if that even exists, so they dont question it.
    You all made me feel really bad about myself...none of you think it would be fun to have a title on your card for something obviously not true? No harm putting Father on there!!

the fact that you think it was a really funny joke is proof that you are not responsible or mature enough to have a credit card.
  • Man I cant believe how harsh you guys are with this...I checked the "Dr." box when filling out my credit card application to see if they would do it, and they did, and it was really funny cause everyone who knows me, knows Im not a doctor. Im 23, look 18, so I get a lot of funny looks when people see that, and some random questions.

wow...um harsh? really??

I guess it is funny to do that with the box check thing - but you asked if it was illegal to sign it MD...and that implied that you were gaming at portraying a Medical Doctor.

that aint so funny. :)
    and Im sure having "father" on there would also go over big

sheesh
This discussion has been closed.