Options

Teenage years

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
What are the best movies, books and albums that deal with those awkward, and crazy time period known as the teen years?

I would say as far as movies are concerned, Thirteen is one of the best, even more so in that it was written by a teenager.

As far as music, Mellon Collie, by the Smashing Pumpkins, is all about the teen years
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mellon collie was totally my soundtrack through high school! so was live through this by hole, and out come the wolves by rancid, and of course pearl jam.

as for movies, for some reason i have a deep affection for "can't hardly wait". believable? nah. funny and cute? hell yeah!
  • Options
    Can't Buy Me Love is my all time favorite teen movie
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    Can't Buy Me Love is my all time favorite teen movie

that's one of my favorites too...Of course breakfast club, sixteen candles..those are classics for me.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,213
    outsiders
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Options
    ADogNamedPilateADogNamedPilate Texas, USA Posts: 291
    Dazed and Confused is one of my favorite movies.
    Austin City Limits - Oct 04, 2009
  • Options
    Hmm. Movies, gotta go with Dazed and Confused, as mentioned before. Then, Sleepers, Stand by Me, American Graffitti and This Boy's Life.

Music. Anything by Springsteen in the 70's and early 80's. Bush really takes me back to my teen years, as well as, Today by The Smashing Pumpkins.
    I'm so dangerous I smoke dynamite.

• Options
    I loved the Lost Boys also growing up
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    ehh I have a month left of being a teenager... It seems like I just turned 13 yesterday. Ill be 20 in december and I know anyone who reads this thats 21 and up is pretty much just going to tell me to shut up. But i feel like im getting old and I dont really like it.

But anyways Pearl Jam has been my sound track all through my teen years. I listened to lots of Modest Mouse through out highschool as well.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Pump Up the Volume

Talk Hard!
  • Options
    I was 9 when Mellon Collie came out! It was my first album though. I got it for my 12th Birthday. Lets see, when I was a teenager, the stupid boy bands and britney spears were popular, so being the rebel I was, I listened to Pearl Jam (naturally), Soundgarden, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Incubus, Matchbox 20 (I dunno?), and the Foo Fighters. Down on the Upside and Mellon Collie got me through those rough years.

I was a big nerd and so I was always reading. The Giver (pre-teen book) was my favorite, and still is one of them. I loved reading Steinbeck and Harry Potter.

The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Ten Things I Hate About You. I remember when they filmed Ten Things at Stadium HS. It was the coolest thing to happen in Tacoma - ever.
    Don't let the world bring you down, not everyone here is that fucked up and cold. Remember why you came and while you're alive, experience the warmth before you grow old.

Best two days of my life: Oasis at MSG and Pearl Jam at the Gorge.