Has anybody read the book "Ishamel by Daniel Quinn" ?

Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
edited July 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Im just listening to the Yield interview by Dave Marsh and Eddie mentions this book and recommends EVERYBODY to read it! That's enough of a recommendation for me i think :D;)
Black, the greatest without a doubt........
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    yeah, everyone says that yield was loosely based on this book (among other things) I really like it, and would read it even without EV's recommendation
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    i'll check it out, i'd never even heard of it but Eddie made it sound so interesting im gonna have to get it now!
    i'll check it out, i'd never even heard of it but Eddie made it sound so interesting im gonna have to get it now!
    oh, 'interesting' is definitely the word for it :p
    gets to me every time
    Lukin66 wrote:
    oh, 'interesting' is definitely the word for it :p

is that sarcasm, as in its far more than interesting and ive just undermined the whole thing?
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    is that sarcasm, as in its far more than interesting and ive just undermined the whole thing?
    Interesting in a good way.
    You have to let your mind go a bit.
    :p
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
    TrixieCat wrote:

what, let it go even further?????

christ that cant be good for me!
    TrixieCat wrote:
    yes, this is exactly what I mean....you have to have a very open mind to appreciate the book
    gets to me every time
  • RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    Great book....I would recommend Story of B as well......
    Lukin66 wrote:
    yes, this is exactly what I mean....you have to have a very open mind to appreciate the book

haha sounds right up my street then ;):D
    if you can stomach it, it's a very good read. You can definitely point out bits that ended up as yield as well.
    gets to me every time
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    Ishmael good
    My Ishmael, not so good
  • righteousbaberighteousbabe Posts: 662
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    Ishmael good
    My Ishmael, not so good

I liked them both, thought my ishmael may have even been better. I have read most of his books and all seem to be building on the same idea. I like them but I can see how many people wouldn't.
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    i just finished reading this book today. i was very good. gives a very good perspective on history, evolution and ethics. i can see how some people may not like it the ideas it presents, but they actually make a lot of sense.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    I'm reading it now actually. About 90 pages in....and I'm being enlightened!
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    I enjoyed the book, and it was a good read for me my Junior year of High School, I think. That said, i didn't think it was THAT out there like some people claim. I want to read a book that just has me setting it down and totally having my mind blown. I have a friend that recommends me books all the time, but I'm waiting for the one that will.

Am I some kind of troubled genius?

Or some kind of weiner?

:D

My baby's in love with Eddie Vedder, yeah she's all crazy bout that Eddie Vedder.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,557
    Welcome to the party...

The book is good, but My Ishmael is better.
    I still want that picture in my living room.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • FiveB247xFiveB247x Posts: 2,330
    Ishmael is good, The Story of B is even better. My Ishmael is ok, but not as good as the other two.
    CONservative governMENt

Our government is the potent, the omnipresent teacher. For good or for ill, it teaches the whole people by its example. Crime is contagious. If the government becomes a law-breaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy. - Louis Brandeis
  • smg9779smg9779 Posts: 235
    I actually didn't find out about the whole Ishmael/Yield connection until after I read it. My girlfriend picked it up before our trip to Thailand in late '06 and passed it on to me. Great easy read IMO. I highly recommend it.
    Steve

11/18/97 Oakland
    07/13/98 Los Angeles
    07/14/98 Los Angeles
    10/31/99 Bridge School
    10/28/00 San Bernardino
    10/31/00 Mountain View
    10/21/01 Bridge School
    06/01/03 Mountain View
    07/15/06 SF I
    07/16/06 SF II
    07/18/06 SF III
    10/21/06 Bridge School
    04/07/08 Berkeley
    04/08/08 Berkeley
  • Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    I read it last year and it was a real quick read - though I don't agree with some of the ideas brought up in it. Worth the read though.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,394
    I read 1/2 of it in an afternoon and don't really feel the need to read the other 1/2. Seems like a big justification of the Author's beliefs.
  • CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    Yes I read it several years ago. It was a good book, but I did not think it life-altering.
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    such a good book.. by the end of it you really do feel like you have or are gonna find the answer to save the world..

I highly recommend buying it.. ull want to read it more than once..
  • Had to search the forums to see if this discussion existed. I love this book, and have taught it to students for many years. Daniel Quinn, the author, passed away earlier this year. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    I read it in 2012.  At first I thought, "Man, there's no way I will read this whole book.  A talking gorilla?  Give me a break!" 

I still find that aspect of the book a bit ridiculous, BUT I did read the book and thought it was great!  Same with Story of B.  Get past the talking gorilla thing and this becomes a great read with tons of thought provoking ideas. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Been ages since I devoured this book, and the fact it can be a quick read shouldn't take away from its import.  I found it so simple in its message(s), I ended up re-reading many passages several times.  It makes sense to me.

I always thought the choice of gorilla was apt in ways as a counter, or even partner, to our modern selves - in treatment, observation, and most importantly, our so-called evolution.

I did a bit of digging and found this...interesting.

http://survivingprepper.com/takers-leavers-explained-daniel-quinns-ishmael/
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    hedonist said:
    Been ages since I devoured this book, and the fact it can be a quick read shouldn't take away from its import.  I found it so simple in its message(s), I ended up re-reading many passages several times.  It makes sense to me.

I always thought the choice of gorilla was apt in ways as a counter, or even partner, to our modern selves - in treatment, observation, and most importantly, our so-called evolution.

I did a bit of digging and found this...interesting.

http://survivingprepper.com/takers-leavers-explained-daniel-quinns-ishmael/
    Excellent article, Hedo.  It really helped me remember the main points of the book and summarizes them well (though beware those who haven't read the book- the article admittedly contains SPOILERS), especially regarding the concepts of "takers" and "leavers".
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• RNDMARNDMA Blackpool, England Posts: 14
    This book was actually my gateway to loving Pearl Jam. A friend i was just beginning to know at the time and loved Pearl Jam was trying to get me into his favourite band, which i had barely heard of, and mentioned that one his favourite albums was loosely inspired by Ishmael. I read and loved the book, immediately played Do The Evolution for the first time and loved it. Intrigued i went to Amazon, put Yield in my basket and saw it was 2 for £10...so i bought Avocado too.
    And i haven't looked back since. I bought and loved every CD and now recommend this book to all my friends.
    Crazy how we get down the rabbit hole.