What book are you reading?

aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
edited January 2014 in All Encompassing Trip
I am mid way through a Michael Crichton book called "Airframe." Its pretty good. It's about an quality assurance investigation over an airplane after a suspicious mid air flight incident which killed a few people, and injured a bunch more. Meanwhile, this airplane company is trying to seal a deal with China for some airplanes. It's getting pretty suspenseful.

Anyhow, I want to finish it so I can start reading my next book; "Scar Tissue" by Anthony Kiedis.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly
    by Anthony Bourdain

Great book.

and last month I finished reading Between a Rock and a Hard Place (Aron Ralston), and One Man's Wilderness (Dick Proenneke). Both I would recommend.
  • YieldInHidingYieldInHiding Posts: 1,839
    Management Challenges for the 21st Century
    By: Peter Drucker

Fun homework reading. ;)
    No longer overwhelmed it seems so simple now.
  • I just got done reading Slaughter House Five!
    *Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0004

Rather than being birthed like a normal child, Chuck Norris instead
    decided to punch his way out of his mother's womb. Shortly thereafter
    he grew a beard.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    (re)Reading The Vampire Lestat (Anne Rice)

I've read Scar Tissue myself - entertaining read to say the least.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • I'm reading Chocolat, a novel by Joanne Harris from 1999 that was a movie a few years ago starring Juliette Binoche, Judith Dench, Alfred Molina and JDepp :)
    I hardly ever read books anymore... the one I read before this one was the latest Ann Rule true-life murder stories book :eek:
    ... wish the world could go again with love ...
  • toastertoaster Posts: 152
    The last one was "the murder on Sarajevo" (if you translate it directly from Norwegian) by Zeljko Vukovic. It's a very interesting read from a journalist and writer who's writing about his life and others around him when Sarajevo was bombed to pieces in the 90's. There's some awful and sad stories in it, but it's very well written and gives a pretty good understanding of what was going on down there and why.

Now I'm gonna read "The Dirt" (the book on Mötley Crue) or the biography of Gro Harlem Brundtland, former prime-minister here in Norway and leader (general Secreterian? something like that.) of WHO. But it's so goddamn long. Don't know if I've got the patience for a biography on almost 1000 pages.
  • Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
    Hunter Thompson - Fear & loathing in Las Vegas, just finished it a fun read! Brilliant monologues..

Dan Brown - Angels & Demons, i just started and so far its interesting, alltho the set of of the story really has a lot of similarities as Da Vinci Code (murder, victim's daughter and a secret research).
    your light's reflected now
  • The English Patient by Michael Ondaajte
    its lovely so far
    Wave came crashing...
  • I am reading "It" by Stephen King, again. "Scar Tissue" is a pretty interesting read. I read that Bourdain book and it is also a pretty good read although it makes the restaurants I have worked in look pretty tame ;)
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    i, Lucifer by Glenn Duncan. Fantastic book, Lucifer is incredibly witty and Duncan has given him a fantastic character.

PEACE
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • read airframe awhile back.. i liked it. quite the page-turner.

currently reading lolita by vladimir nabokov and rian malan's my traitor's heart.
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Please Kill Me by Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain.
    reading it for the second time actually, it's just too interesting to let go. :D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I am about 1/4 done with Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere" and it's pretty kickass so far.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    toaster wrote:
    Now I'm gonna read "The Dirt" (the book on Mötley Crue)...
    That's a great book! Very entertaining and very well put together.
  • stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    aNiMaL wrote:

Anyhow, I want to finish it so I can start reading my next book; "Scar Tissue" by Anthony Kiedis.

That was a good book to read, I highly recommend it.

Just finished reading The Da Vinci Code. Good book.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    just started 'confessions of an economic hitman.'
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    I'm reading the Chronicals of Narnia right now...

I've had a box-set of all 7 stories since i was a little kid...
    It was funny to pull it off the shelf, and find that the only one that was ever opened was The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe!! :)
    (I guess the thought of reading 7 books back to back was a little daunting when I was 8 years old! )

I'm glad I picked them up... The Magician's Nephew is my favorite so far!
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    Q and A by vikas swarup
  • The Closing of the Western Mind, The rise of faith and the fall of Reason-by Charles Freeman
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

Keep your eyes open, eventually something will happen....
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208

It was funny to pull it off the shelf, and find that the only one that was ever opened was The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe!! :)
    (I guess the thought of reading 7 books back to back was a little daunting when I was 8 years old! )

my ex bought me those for xmas. im going to read them all once i finish the book im on now :)
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    "Showdown at Gucci Gulch" by Birnbaum and Murray.

It's the "inside" story about the passage of the tax reform act of 1986.

It's required text for the Public Policy class that I am currently taking....
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • toastertoaster Posts: 152
    aNiMaL wrote:
    That's a great book! Very entertaining and very well put together.

So I've heard a lot of people say. Can't wait to read it! Guess that biography is just have to hold on for a little longer. Man, the guys in Mötley Crue have done some weird shit over the years..
  • armyreservearmyreserve Posts: 209
    I'm currently reading the Da Vinci Code!
    10/06/91 Hollywood, CA; 05/13/92 Hollywood, CA; 09/02/93 Hollywood, CA; 11/05/93 Indio, CA; 11/07/95 San Diego, CA; 03/29/98 (Dead Man Walking - The Concert) Los Angeles, CA; 07/13/98 Inglewood, CA; 10/24/00 Los Angeles, CA; 10/28/00 Devore, CA;07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/30/09 Universal City, CA; 10/01/09 Universal City, CA
  • A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • EddiesGurlEddiesGurl Posts: 166
    im reading "What to expect when expecting"....a really good book for us first time mamas :)
    *~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~*
    Welcome to the world Lucy Michelle!!! 8/11/06 - 4:05pm
    *~**~**~**~**~**~**~**~*

~> Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    I've just finished two really good books, both by Dan Savage. (He's the advice columnist that writes Savage Love.) One was "The Commitment" and the other was "The Kid (What happened when my boyfriend and I decided to get pregnant)." They're both funny, poignant and well-written memoirs, and I read them each in about a day because I couldn't put them down. Not sure where to go from here, but I've got nothing but time to read since I'm not working and my baby isn't here yet. :)
  • DopeyBoyDopeyBoy Posts: 170
    I'm reading "Cell" by Stephen King. Its pretty good so far, very "The Stand"ish, although not nearly as long. I don't have a cell phone now, and am sure as hell not getting one after reading this!

Next on the list is the Chronicles of Narnia, I'll read those on the beach while I'm in Hawaii!!! Nice easy read, never read any of them before, but thought the movie was cool, so we'll see...

I recently read the Davinci Code too, and was sorely dissapointed. Read Angels and Demons a while back, and it was amazing! I was expecting great things from the sequel, but I didn't think it was nearly as good. I'd recomend Angels & Demons over Davinci Code any day.

Peace
    :-p
    "Six million dollars we turned down, to prevent our song to be sung by a cock" E.V. - San Diego, June 5, 2003
  • Hunger StrikeHunger Strike Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 229

I'm reading this now too!! I just bought the one book with all the books inside. Not sure why I never read it before?? I finished the first book which basically tells you how Narnia became, and where the wardrobe came from. Now I'm on the Lion The Witch and Wardrobe, all the kids just entered Narnia and have met up with the beaver.
    Anyway, I'm really liking it a lot! Love fantasy stuff like this.
  • sigh eternallysigh eternally Chicago Posts: 421
    The Making Of A Radical
    -Scott Nearing
  • genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    I am reading a book called: I hate you, dont leave me.

Its about personality disorders.

Ooh and my monthly National Geographic.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...