Boston Red Sox

Comments

• the lineup sucks. thank god nixon is back and that we have good pitching. we desperately need crisp back.

Nixon?? If Theo and the Sox are smart,they will dump him following this yr. . This guy is hurt alot and had 1 year of hitting 300. He will never attain 100 rbi's 30 hr. Another case of potential without the production.
  • adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,474
    Nixon?? If Theo and the Sox are smart,they will dump him following this yr. . This guy is hurt alot and had 1 year of hitting 300. He will never attain 100 rbi's 30 hr. Another case of potential without the production.

I don't know man. I love Nixon. He plays the game the right way - hard every day. He does have injury issues but he is a core member of the team. Being from the south, people look at me a little weird when I wear my Nixon #7 t-shirt. They automatically assume I'm from Boston until they hear me talk.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

dude ripped two doubles yesterday? That was the point I was making. the rest of these bums aint hittin shit...when did marty barrett start playing second again by the way?

Besides, Nixon is the man. he plays the game the right way, has a great arm, and has some of the most clutch hits (playoff homers) in recent memory.

Once you pull your calf and groin, you are suceptable the rest of your career. I'll take him. When healthy, he is a very good ball player...above average.
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
    Eh fuck sport message boards. Most of the time you get the type of fan who doesn't know what he's talking about on them and they just start saying things without using any facts or thoughtful insight to back what they said up

That being said, though their are a few bumps, our pitching staff kicks ass

You are probably right.
    adam42381 wrote:
    Schilling is looking good and what about my boy Papelbon! Keep the wins coming. Coco and Trot will be healthy soon enough. If the rotation keeps it up and Foulke stays in the pen as a setup guy, we're gonna be tough.

what he said...

and "Fever Pitch" on HBO got me stoked for this season...
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
    Just saw this on the Dirt Dogs site. 1986 Series Game 6 collapse replayed in the original RBI Baseball for Nintendo. For some reason, it's just as painful in a video game. The guy who did this spent a lot of time setting this thing up. Well done, but it still sucks for us Sox fans 20 years later. http://www.sandiegoserenade.com/2006/04/1986_world_series_game_6_reena.html
    Well, I'm off to Beef O'Brady's right up the street here in Fort Myers to watch the game on NESN. Hopefully Clement will actually show up tonight and lower that 9.00 ERA a little bit. And I'm gonna wear my Trot Nixon t-shirt!
  • This series should be interesting, the Devil Rays aren't exactly awesome this year but they have potential to not finish last in the division and are looking actually pretty decent this year. I hope Clement can rebound from his troubled start, I think he will though, if he can do what he did his first game of the year, we'll be in good shape. I love Trot and think we def need to keep him around for another year or two, I mean come on, I like Willy Mo too but we've all seen his "outstanding" defense of late, he def needs to develop a little more before he becomes the everyday left fielder, as we all know the DH spot is pretty well occupied.
    I was taught a month ago to bide my time and take it slow, but then I learned just yesterday to rush and never waste a day. Now I'm convinced the whole day long that all I've learned is always wrong. Things are true that I forget, but no one taught that to me yet
  • Getting ready to watch the Sox now. Hopefully Clement will put a strong performance together.
  • yeah, clement better pick it up, he really worries me
    adam42381 wrote:
    Well, I'm off to Beef O'Brady's right up the street here in Fort Myers to watch the game on NESN. Hopefully Clement will actually show up tonight and lower that 9.00 ERA a little bit. And I'm gonna wear my Trot Nixon t-shirt!

By the way, Beef O'Brady's didn't work out for me. The damn MLB package blocked out the game for my area since they were playing the Devil Rays. This pretty much sucked so I went home and the game wasn't on cable here. WTF?!!! I ended up watching American Idol with the wife then House (great show) and just checked the scores on ESPNews during commercials. Hey, they won so I'm happy. Another save for Papelbon. We have Schilling tomorrow. We're looking good so far (I know how early it is).
    it'll be a tough race in the AL this year but I really think the Sox can win it all as long as the offense picks up just a little bit and clement can keep it together

Can you imagine next years rotation? Schilling, Beckett, Lester, Papelbon
    Closer - Craig Hansen

Makes me wanna cream myself

we did it tonight with clement
    wasnt a superb win
    but... we did it!!!!

like i said before...
    I think we look great this season
    if everyone stays healthy we will go along way
    i know we have a long season ahead of us.... but WE LOOK GREAT!!!
    There's the moon asking to stay
    Long enough for the clouds to fly me away
  • brainofjbbrainofjb Boston Posts: 381

i love trot!!!

theo is young and impresses me. i think he has a great eye for talen!

we dont need to spend millions to win a world series
    we have great pitching. I believe what it takes to win championships is chemistry
    whether it be baseball, basketball or football
    you dont need the best of the best
    you need quality players that play well together
    thats what we had in 2004
    thats what the detroit pistons had when they won the championship
    thats what it takes to win

i watched a interview with gabe capler...
    he said the same thing
    we have the one the greatest combo of players
    we are gonna do it!
    I AGREE!!
    stay healthy sox!!
    it will be the sox/yanks again and we will KICK ASS
    brainofjb wrote:
    i love trot!!!

we have great pitching. I believe what it takes to win championships is chemistry

he said the same thing
    we are gonna do it!
    I AGREE!!
    stay healthy sox!!
    I know what you're saying but we do spend a ton of money. We've been #2 in payroll the past 5 or so years right behind the Yankees. We're not close to spending Steinbrenner money but we do spend a lot. It takes a lot to sign the caliber of players that Theo brings in.
    adam42381 wrote:
    I know what you're saying but we do spend a ton of money. We've been #2 in payroll the past 5 or so years right behind the Yankees. We're not close to spending Steinbrenner money but we do spend a lot. It takes a lot to sign the caliber of players that Theo brings in.

yes, you are right BUT we could have spent alot more to win a WS
    for instance AROD

we didnt and still won
    we have had great players that we could have kept if we spent the money
    insteat.. we didnt and theo had the good eye for replacement and it has worked out
    i agree we do have the 2nd highest payroll
    but it is great that we dont spend as much as stenbrenner and we win
    they spent alot, they dont have pitching at all. that is what it takes to win
    we could have had arod, johnson we could have kept damon
    and could possibly have clemens before the end of the season
    but We dont always spend the money to win. I love that fact that the yanks spend it and still lose
    i dont mean to always compare us to the yanks
    but cant help it... thats what us sox fans do
  • brainofjb wrote:
    i love trot!!!

he said the same thing
    we are gonna do it!
    I AGREE!!
    stay healthy sox!!

I think the sox are gonna win it all, if we stay healthy. I dont hateTrot, but no matter how hard he hustles,the numbers have to be there. I'll bet anything that if he ends the season with mediocre #'s he's gone. He will be just like Millar, a great team guy but not enough production.

On another note,what a game last night. Stern with that catch. AWESOME!!
  • Flannel ShirtFlannel Shirt Posts: 1,021
    I think the sox are gonna win it all, if we stay healthy. I dont hateTrot, but no matter how hard he hustles,the numbers have to be there. I'll bet anything that if he ends the season with mediocre #'s he's gone. He will be just like Millar, a great team guy but not enough production.

On another note,what a game last night. Stern with that catch. AWESOME!!
    Trot Nixon is nothing like Millar. Nixon can throw and catch. Millar could do neither. Nixon will belt 20-25 dingers and drive in 80-90 and bat .280...Ill take that.

I hope you guys are right and this is the team, but man, the bats got to get hot....you cannot keep winning one run games and relying on the bullpen...it will catch up with you.
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
    Trot Nixon is nothing like Millar. Nixon can throw and catch. Millar could do neither. Nixon will belt 20-25 dingers and drive in 80-90 and bat .280...Ill take that.

I hope you guys are right and this is the team, but man, the bats got to get hot....you cannot keep winning one run games and relying on the bullpen...it will catch up with you.
    My sentiments exactly! Trot and Millar are totally different. Millar was the best at pumping up the team but the numbers and fielding just weren't there. He wasn't bad, but Trot puts up solid numbers and plays a mean right field.
  • What a game for Youk tonight, I hope he can be a major contributor, I really like him. And it's about time the Sox finally got those bats going and pounded out some runs, not that there wasn't a little help from Rays D. but I'll take it.
    I was taught a month ago to bide my time and take it slow, but then I learned just yesterday to rush and never waste a day. Now I'm convinced the whole day long that all I've learned is always wrong. Things are true that I forget, but no one taught that to me yet
    Schilling looked solid once again tonight. The offense was on for the most part. Youkilis is playing great especially since he's having to lead off with Coco out. Trot looked pretty good tonight. Just wait until Coco is back and Manny finally gets completely out of his funk. As long as the pitching holds up, we're gonna be good!
    Will Bard figure out how to catch Wakefield tonight? The way the last 2 games have gone, that might not matter anyway. Where's Mirabelli when we need him. Nothing against Bard, but Doug really had the knuckler figured out. Hopefully he'll get it figured out soon.
    adam42381 wrote:
    Will Bard figure out how to catch Wakefield tonight? The way the last 2 games have gone, that might not matter anyway. Where's Mirabelli when we need him. Nothing against Bard, but Doug really had the knuckler figured out. Hopefully he'll get it figured out soon.
    Well, I guess not. Another run scores on a passed ball. Mirabelli had 6 passed balls last year in 43 games. Bard has 6 passed balls this year in 4 games! (5 before tonight) This is getting ridiculous!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2005.shtml

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?statType=3&teamPosCode=all&timeFrame=1&c_id=bos&sitSplit=&venueID=&Submit=Submit&subScope=pos&baseballScope=BOS&timeSubFrame=2006&&sortByStat=PB
    Well, I guess not. Another run scores on a passed ball. Mirabelli had 6 passed balls last year in 43 games. Bard has 6 passed balls this year in 4 games! (5 before tonight) This is getting ridiculous!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2005.shtml

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?statType=3&teamPosCode=all&timeFrame=1&c_id=bos&sitSplit=&venueID=&Submit=Submit&subScope=pos&baseballScope=BOS&timeSubFrame=2006&&sortByStat=PB

maybe Huckabey could do better. lol
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    So far so good for the Sox. Let's see how long both Schilling and Beckett can stay healthy before we make any early fall plans. It does feel good to have a healthy lead over the yanks so far, but again they hadn't played 8 times already by now like last year.
    So far so good for the Sox. Let's see how long both Schilling and Beckett can stay healthy before we make any early fall plans. It does feel good to have a healthy lead over the yanks so far, but again they hadn't played 8 times already by now like last year.

Excellent point. I like it better this way. Sure it's fun when the open against each other but playing so many games at the beginning makes it a bit of a letdown when you have to wait a couple months for them to play again. They are playing 9 games vs. the Yankees in May so that will be here before you know it. May 2 will be an even better day if the Sox win!
    Once again Beckett is looking sharp early. Sox up 3-0 through 3 1/2 innings. Some possible good news on the Roger Clemens story. Apparently the Sox are his number one choice right now.

This is from http://www.bostondirtdogs.com :
    Boston Dirt Dogs has learned that the Red Sox may now be the frontrunner in the Roger Clemens sweepstakes. Clemens reportedly said Wednesday he'd like to put No. 21 on his back and finish his career where he started. The Yankees are supposedly his second choice even though owner George Steinbrenner hasn't yet made Roger an offer; however, Roger expects him to at some point. The Astros may have moved up to Roger's third choice while the Texas Rangers, who made a great presentation, are not generating any real excitement in the Clemens camp.

According to MLB.com, Clemens said Wednesday that physically, his body feels pretty good, and that his arm is "not too far away" after working out with son Koby, an Astros prospect playing at Class A Lexington, for five days recently. Clemens also said he is enjoying retirement and isn't ready to think about pitching again at this point. "I understand the Red Sox side of it, the history with New York and I understand what's happened here [in Houston] the last few years," Clemens said on Wednesday. "Again, that's just not something I'm thinking about just yet. I'm going to pass on those questions right at this point. I've not decided to go there there just yet. I'm getting updates and calls from the other three teams. They're very flattering. If I decide to go in that direction, I'll get myself mentally prepared for that."

I'm really hoping he comes back. Number 21 just looked so good on him and I've missed seeing that number since he left. Could be because he was my idol growing up.
    Beckett blew the lead then Tito blew the game. Why not let Papelbon go for a 5 out save? Just doesn't make sense. I guess Timlin was his best choice?! (kidding)...Francona better get his act together soon. These little blunders will come back to haunt us in September/October.
    Ok, we're turning to shit now. DiNardo allowed 7 runs in three innings replacing Wells today. Ok, time for the Rocket to re-launch at Fenway sometime soon. Three divisional losses in a row. Gotta stop the slide tomorrow. At least Trot is playing well.