Options

Tell me what you think

Comments

• Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    hailhailkc wrote:
    I wouldn't want them flown higher than the American flag...
    please, please, PLEASE tell me you're joking. Please.
  • Options
    hailhailkchailhailkc Posts: 582
    please, please, PLEASE tell me you're joking. Please.

Uh, no. I'm serious. It's disrespectful to fly any flag higher than the U.S. flag within our borders. In fact, it's a law.

I wouldn't expect an American in Brazil to fly the U.S. flag higher than the Brazilian flag if they were watching the World Cup in Brazil and wanted to root for the U.S. That would be disrespectful too imho.
    MOSSAD NATO Alphabet Stations (E10)
    High Traffic ART EZI FTJ JSR KPA PCD SYN ULX VLB YHF
    Low Traffic CIO MIW
    Non Traffic ABC BAY FDU GBZ HNC NDP OEM ROV TMS ZWL
  • Options
    hailhailkc wrote:
    Uh, no. I'm serious. It's disrespectful to fly any flag higher than the U.S. flag within our borders. In fact, it's a law.

I have a pirate flag flying over my upside-down American flag on the roof of my house. Come and get me, law-boy. :)
    I wouldn't expect an American in Brazil to fly the U.S. flag higher than the Brazilian flag if they were watching the World Cup in Brazil and wanted to root for the U.S. That would be disrespectful too imho.

But what if they wanted to?
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    I have a pirate flag flying over my upside-down American flag on the roof of my house. Come and get me, law-boy. :)
    That's right he's a law-boy. Better be fearing his kicking in your door and cuffing you. He's a real law-boy, he don't knock and the judge says that's okay.

But what if they wanted to?
    Then they'd be disrespectful but that doesn't seem to stop anyone from ever doing anything anymore.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    That's right he's a law-boy. Better be fearing his kicking in your door and cuffing you. He's a real law-boy, he don't knock and the judge says that's okay.

Ah....but he probably wouldn't rob me in the process, right?
    Then they'd be disrespectful but that doesn't seem to stop anyone from ever doing anything anymore.

Isn't stopping someone from putting a piece of cloth wherever they choose to kind of disrespectful too?
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    I don't get this whole you have to fly this certain flag over the other. Who cares it's a flag and just because you have them in a certain order really should equate to lack of respect.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    hailhailkc wrote:
    Typical American arrogance. "You have the right....to FREE SPEECH...unless of course you're actually dumb enough to try it."

If that really is a law then they should have been debating to abolish that instead of debating over whether or not to take away our right to burn a flag. Give us our rights. Don't take them away, ffs. As someone posted yesterday, "I want my government back."
  • Options
    Typical American arrogance. "You have the right....to FREE SPEECH...unless of course you're actually dumb enough to try it."

If that really is a law then they should have been debating to abolish that instead of debating over whether or not to take away our right to burn a flag. Give us our rights. Don't take them away, ffs. As someone posted yesterday, "I want my government back."
    hand in hand with rights should go responsibilities. I think it is a moral embarrassment to see so many people demanding their rights while willfully neglecting their responsibilities.

How about it's your responsibility to show respect for the country you are in. Part of that is not flying another country's flag higher.

I've had it up to here with people whining on about their rights when they don't really give a damn about what's expected of them. Yes, you have the right to be an ignorant asshole. And it's well within my right to call you on it.

You may want your government back. I want my country back!!!!
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    How about it's your responsibility to show respect for the country you are in. Part of that is not flying another country's flag higher.

And what right is linked to that responsibility?
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    mammasan wrote:
    I attended a town hall meeting last night in the town I used to live in, my cousin still lives in the town and I was with him prior to going out for dinner. The town has a very diverse population, a mix of Irish, Scottish, Spanish, Portugese, and several South American nationalities the majority of which is Brazilian. A resident of the town addressed the council and all in attendance about the multitude of non-US flags being flown at people's homes due to the World Cup. They wanted the town to demand that anyone flying a flag that was not that of the US should remove it immediatly because it was an insult to this country especially around the Independence Day holiday. Other town residents where in agreement. One resident stated that they should all go back to their country and fly their flag there and stop disgracing this country. Other residents expressed that this was simply people supporting their teams during the World Cup, just like if someone has a Yankees or Jets flag outside of their home in show of support. What is your take on this?

I don't see the problem in flying these flags. It is not an inflammatory action at all.
    Interesting, because I was downtown earlier today and noticed that one building was flying a Chinese flag. My initial reaction was actually bad (the flag reminds me of what the Communist government in that country has done and continues to do), but as I thought about it, I realized that the flag has other meanings (that don't involve slaughtering monks in Tibet) and really, why is a piece of cloth an affront anyway? Its not like they were bashing Canada.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but if you get your underwear in a bunch over the height at which flags are flying, you are probably the type that gets offended way too easily, so there's probably no pleasing you and you probably shouldn't be taken seriously.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but if you get your underwear in a bunch over the height at which flags are flying, you are probably the type that gets offended way too easily, so there's probably no pleasing you and you probably shouldn't be taken seriously.

Nah, hailhail is a pretty bright guy. I can see where he is coming from, even if I don't entirely agree.
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    mammasan wrote:
    I attended a town hall meeting last night in the town I used to live in, my cousin still lives in the town and I was with him prior to going out for dinner. The town has a very diverse population, a mix of Irish, Scottish, Spanish, Portugese, and several South American nationalities the majority of which is Brazilian. A resident of the town addressed the council and all in attendance about the multitude of non-US flags being flown at people's homes due to the World Cup. They wanted the town to demand that anyone flying a flag that was not that of the US should remove it immediatly because it was an insult to this country especially around the Independence Day holiday. Other town residents where in agreement. One resident stated that they should all go back to their country and fly their flag there and stop disgracing this country. Other residents expressed that this was simply people supporting their teams during the World Cup, just like if someone has a Yankees or Jets flag outside of their home in show of support. What is your take on this?

isn't this supposed to be a free country?
  • Options
    And what right is linked to that responsibility?
    Never said there was any type of direct correlation between any one right and any one responsibility.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    Nah, hailhail is a pretty bright guy. I can see where he is coming from, even if I don't entirely agree.

I wasn't thinking of him, I was thinking of the people that brought up the issue at the meeting mammasan attended. Telling people to "go back to their own country" simply because they fly the flag of their native country is a really backwards-assed and ignorant thing to do.
  • Options
    hailhailkc wrote:

when I respect what this country does around the world then maybe I would worry about flyinga silly piece of cloth to represent it. aren't you supposed to actually have a reason to respect and support something? this is the place I happen to live, respect has to be earned. that being said I do still believe this country has a lot of potential to be great and something that could be deserving of admiration...but a flag shouldn't have to be flown because of potential.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    I wasn't thinking of him, I was thinking of the people that brought up the issue at the meeting mammasan attended. Telling people to "go back to their own country" simply because they fly the flag of their native country is a really backwards-assed and ignorant thing to do.

describes the mentality of the red states entirely....
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I personally love seeing all the different flags cheering on the world cup team. I don't have a probem at all.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    Commy wrote:
    describes the mentality of the red states entirely....

Yeah, but doesn't mammasan live in Jersey?

It's like that in large parts of Illinois, too.
  • Options
    I personally love seeing all the different flags cheering on the world cup team. I don't have a probem at all.

I do too

makes them seems less like a team jersey thing and more of a 'we can all come together and enjoy this' type thing.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    I am curious about how people in other nations would react if someone in one of these places flew an American flag ...

Anyhow, I agree with Commy's point about freedom. If it isn't endangering others or society at large, what's the problem?
  • Options
    when I respect what this country does around the world then maybe I would worry about flyinga silly piece of cloth to represent it. aren't you supposed to actually have a reason to respect and support something? this is the place I happen to live, respect has to be earned. that being said I do still believe this country has a lot of potential to be great and something that could be deserving of admiration...but a flag shouldn't have to be flown because of potential.
    Amen to that. I've said it before but I'll say it again....I'm much more likely to be burning an American flag than I am to fly one. No plans to burn it but you get the point.
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    mammasan wrote:
    I don't get this whole you have to fly this certain flag over the other. Who cares it's a flag and just because you have them in a certain order really should equate to lack of respect.
    Of course it's a symbolic display of disrespect. It's a pretty universally recognized symbol. I absolutely agree that it should not be illegal. "Freedom of speech" wouldn't mean much if it precluded expressing disrespect and disapproval.

I'm just glad I don't live in your cousin's town, since it would have cost me an awful lot of money. I'd have gone on a flag buying binge after last night's meeting, and by now my front yard would look like the United Nations.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    hippiemom wrote:
    Of course it's a symbolic display of disrespect. It's a pretty universally recognized symbol. I absolutely agree that it should not be illegal. "Freedom of speech" wouldn't mean much if it precluded expressing disrespect and disapproval.

I'm just glad I don't live in your cousin's town, since it would have cost me an awful lot of money. I'd have gone on a flag buying binge after last night's meeting, and by now my front yard would look like the United Nations.
    We need more hippiemoms like you. I agree that it's a symbolic display of respect....and one that we should always have the right to display.
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    hippiemom wrote:

That's what I said and trust me if I still did live in this town I would have a huge ass Cuban flag outside my home right now and a poster of Fidel and El Che on my door.

I also kind of understand about the flag order, but honestly the people who do that probably have no intention of disrespect.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    I'm wondering why anyone would bring up such an insigificant thought at a town meeting which apparently took place in the most bankrupt state in the union. Albany's Medicaid policy is out of control forcing counties to tax private citizens to death while driving out private business so government employees can retire at 55 after a life of never having had to do a day of real work in their life.
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
  • Options
    LazLaz Posts: 118
    What about Confederate flags?
  • Options
    Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    hippiemom wrote:
    now my front yard would look like the United Nations.

that's awesome! what you should do now is threaten any neighbors that have given you problems...say some assclown walking through your garden, or some dope letting his dog do his thing on your lawn...and when they ignore your wishes....threaten them again!
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
  • Options
    BetterRadioBetterRadio Posts: 189
    Bullshit american fuck.
    They're gonna tell you where to walk
    When to smile and just what to say
    They say have your own fun...

Need vinyl, doggs.
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Laz wrote:
    What about Confederate flags?

I don't believe they have a soccer team.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V