wal-mart; better than slavery

El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
here ya go, ffg, a good balance of the pros and cons of wal-mart!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j5_socpd5Q
standin above the crowd
he had a voice that was strong and loud and
i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
eager to identify with
someone above the crowd
someone who seemed to feel the same
someone prepared to lead the way
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Please name me one source that shows someone was required to work at Wal-Mart.

Hey, how about naming me one source that shows Wal-mart forces people to shop at Wal-Mart stores?

Hell, I hate Wal-mart and very rarely ever shop there. And if the sex dicrimination is true it is ridiculous and should be dealt with.

If you can get people to stop shopping at wal-mart and people to stop working at wal-mart, good for you, but I don;t think it matters in reality...a place where far too many of us refuse to live.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • melodiousmelodious Posts: 1,719
    sounds like a boy-cott thread.
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Please name me one source that shows someone was required to work at Wal-Mart.

Hey, how about naming me one source that shows Wal-mart forces people to shop at Wal-Mart stores?

Hell, I hate Wal-mart and very rarely ever shop there. And if the sex dicrimination is true it is ridiculous and should be dealt with.

If you can get people to stop shopping at wal-mart and people to stop working at wal-mart, good for you, but I don;t think it matters in reality...a place where far too many of us refuse to live.

To the first 2 statements: Point to me where someone claimed there was such a source.

So it wouldn't matter to the smaller businesses in these towns that Walmart drives into the ground if more people decided to stop shopping at Walmart and brought their business back to them?
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • denverfandenverfan Posts: 218
    Hillarious...why is everyone down on wal-mart here??? I dont see anything wrong with wal-mart and my opinion derives from walking into the local store and watching all the wal-mart employees picking their asses and texting on their atari cell phones...isn't there a better cause we can focus on?
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity but they've always worked for me." Gonzo

'If my fuckin' ex-wife told me to take care of her dog while her and her new boyfriend went to Honolulu, I'd tell her to go fuck herself." -The Dude

Whisky Drinker, Non-Hunter from Denver.
    walmart = white trash
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
    melodious wrote:
    walmart = white trash

Pearl Jam is proud of their Wal-Mart shopping white trash fans!
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity but they've always worked for me." Gonzo

'If my fuckin' ex-wife told me to take care of her dog while her and her new boyfriend went to Honolulu, I'd tell her to go fuck herself." -The Dude

• PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    melodious wrote:
    walmart = white trash

Me thinks melodious ran out of weed or something. Got the "crabbies".
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Number 18Number 18 Posts: 132
    Wal-Mart...better than slavery? Barely.
    To the first 2 statements: Point to me where someone claimed there was such a source.

So it wouldn't matter to the smaller businesses in these towns that Walmart drives into the ground if more people decided to stop shopping at Walmart and brought their business back to them?

Wow...who'd a thunk you'd answer my questions to Kabong? ;) Aw, I'm just kidding...a little buzzed.

There isn't a source. Wal-mart exists because people are want them to be around. It's a losing battle is all I'm saying...waste of time.
    hippiemom = goodness
    denverfan wrote:
    Pearl Jam is proud of their Wal-Mart shopping white trash fans!
    good come-back ;) .
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    wal-mart takes a lot of heat...I was curious...what do social activists think about Target?

personally, I can't handle Wal-mart's clientele. the store is cheaper, but I'd rather pay the extra dough to shop with people who are of the same species as me.
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
    .... Wal-mart exists because people are want them to be around. It's a losing battle is all I'm saying...waste of time.
    good points; worrying and crying and trying to spread one's owns concerns is a waste of time when everyone talks about how cool idea is but won't get off apathy train...i almost bet that...........well....never mind....it's really sad when we let senate rule our freedom away and let big cheap-o corps like walmart steal your family's property under eminant domain...

i see walmart as a giant cult; no sh*t.
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
    wal-mart takes a lot of heat...I was curious...what do social activists think about Target?
    good question; i wonder the same
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Wow...who'd a thunk you'd answer my questions to Kabong? ;) Aw, I'm just kidding...a little buzzed.

There isn't a source. Wal-mart exists because people are want them to be around. It's a losing battle is all I'm saying...waste of time.

yeah, yeah....:D

perhaps if more people become aware of walmart's policies then less people would want them around...just a thought. if a person found out their significant other was cheating then they might decide to give them the boot. I guess i'm not as apathetic as you are.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
    melodious wrote:
    good points; worrying and crying and trying to spread one's owns concerns is a waste of time when everyone talks about how cool idea is but won't get off apathy train...i almost bet that...........well....never mind....it's really sad when we let senate rule our freedom away and let big cheap-o corps like walmart steal your family's property under eminant domain...

i see walmart as a giant cult; no sh*t.

Good for you...don't shop there...keep posting on a band's website to not shop there...do what ever you want, no harm in trying, except that you will be wasting your time. ;)

Wanna bet whether or not you can bring down Wal-mart? I gotz me some cash kiddo.
    hippiemom = goodness

perhaps if more people become aware of walmart's policies then less people would want them around...just a thought. if a person found out their significant other was cheating then they might decide to give them the boot. I guess i'm not as apathetic as you are.

Shit...don;t tell my wife...I need the income. ;)

You certainly aren;t as apethetic as me.....I honestly think this is a lost cause.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Shit...don;t tell my wife...I need the income. ;)

You certainly aren;t as apethetic as me.....I honestly think this is a lost cause.

sometimes ya gotta try even if you aren't guaranteed a win. :)

-Oscar Wilde
  • flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453

personally, I can't handle Wal-mart's clientele. the store is cheaper, but I'd rather pay the extra dough to shop with people who are of the same species as me.

Target runs cool hip advertising. Plus they have that dog with the red patch around his eye. WalMart has that stupid smiley ball lowering prices as he gets wage concessions from China. I'm going with the kickass dog. Target wins. Yay !!!
    sometimes ya gotta try even if you aren't guaranteed a win. :)

Then I'm headed to Africa to get me some Jolie.

Good luck, I have no love for Wal-mart, but I seriously doubt anyone's ability to stop that beast.
    hippiemom = goodness
    Target runs cool hip advertising. Plus they have that dog with the red patch around his eye. WalMart has that stupid smiley ball lowering prices as he gets wage concessions from China. I'm going with the kickass dog. Target wins. Yay !!!

Umm....I do shop at Target. I just bought some storage totes there...Am I going to hell?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    Umm....I do shop at Target. I just bought some storage totes there...Am I going to hell?

The eight ball says ...... You're going to shopping hell. It's like the day after Christmas sale run continuously for eternity. Watch out for the middle aged women -- they kick.
    Me thinks melodious ran out of weed or something. Got the "crabbies".
    me thinks you may be absolutely right on the money....extremely crabby
    i wouldn't know why....
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light

People keep saying..Their policies are shitty etc. etc. etc..but again, I walk into this store that just opend (it's a "green walmart") and all the workers are just standing around doing nothing? No work taking place...Getting paid to stand around and bull shit? I suppose they may have shitty policies, but I never see it in person is all

• JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438

I think your point is that Target isn't really better than Wal-Mart. I don't know enough to say it is or it isn't. But my thought is that there must be other business out there to compete with Wal-Mart. The less competition Wal-Mart has, the more it has free rein to do what it wants. It *isn't* always the best price. We have stopped shopping there, but my kids several years ago noticed that the Pokemon and Yugioh cards were more expensive at Wal-Mart than in the local game store in our town. (Whatever opinion you have on Pokemon and Yugioh in general is beside the point hehe) Wal-Mart tends to low-price certain items that people will remember, that will give them the impression that *everything* is a bargain when its not.

Cincy is right that most people seem to want it. (Wal-Mart I mean). There was quite a fight in our town to get one - it is really going to change the character of our town, but the majority wanted it. So we are going to get one of those ugly Supercenters built just as you approach town, and there are ALREADY lots of petitions to set up strip-malls around it. Its really going to change the look of the entry into our town. I didn't support it, and will not shop there, but more people wanted it than not. I hope they like working there when the other stores they work at go under....
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    Wal-Mart is not perfect, but it conducts its business better than the majority. In addition, it has provided jobs for many, many people and does a lot of charity work. If I remember, Wal-Mart was one of the big heros from the Hurricane Katrina fiasco.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    Byrnzie wrote:

hey, man...w/o those outsourced jobs those ppl...well... that's 13 cents they wouldn't have at the end of the week! (thanks kindly to the multi-billion $ corporations)
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    perhaps if more people become aware of walmart's policies then less people would want them around...just a thought. .

the thing is wal-mart used to be a great place for people to work...then Sam died and everything became about the bottom line and not about workers at all. If most companies could adopt an employee friendly atmosphere they'd prob do better. Here's a snippet about Costco (similar to Sams Club)...

And Sinegal (CEO) says he's also built a loyal work force. In fact, Costco has the lowest employee turnover rate in retailing. Its turnover is five times lower than its chief rival, Wal-Mart. And Costco pays higher than average wages — $17 an hour — 40 percent more than Sam's Club, the warehouse chain owned by Wal-Mart. And it offers better-than-average benefits, including health care coverage to more than 90 percent of its work force.

And Sinegal rewards that loyalty. "We promote almost 100 percent from within our company.
    But the most remarkable thing about Sinegal is his salary — $350,000 a year,

Of course, as a co-founder of the company, Sinegal owns a lot of Costco's stock — more than $150 million worth. He's rich, but only on paper.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Business/story?id=1362779
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
    have you ever felt like you were criminal when shopping at walmart? i mean they have every item magnetized so that when a person inadvertantly goes out the door without paying, buzzer goes off....that's not enough, security...they use their greeting personnell to check your bags even though security measures are already in place. and at my local walmart, where i might add, i cried when they tore out old oak growth, they makes certain to focus their security towards under-18 and minorities..
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
    El_Kabong wrote:
    hey, man...w/o those outsourced jobs those ppl...well... that's 13 cents they wouldn't have at the end of the week! (thanks kindly to the multi-billion $ corporations)
    just curious, but how does one feel about little guy who is not corporation, but guides business practices in same manner as walmart--uh, i mean the guy has a factory in china but lives with his wife and child in seattle ? just curious...
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light