Eddie's politics from VH1

Comments

• El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    Plus its obvious they editted out the 35,000 uhhhhs and ummmms . ;)

i've never really seen ppl have so much contempt for the member(s) of a band and say they are one of their favorite bands...
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    Allow me:

As someone who could'nt be farther away from the ideology of Ed, I find him very determined and very bright. The fact that he mumbles, at least to me, just shows a guy who maybe is not all that comfortable actually " speaking" to large numbers of people. Singing is a whole nother' animal, because he's got so much damn talent to back it up. I don't like a lot of what he was saying, I don't agree with very much, I thought WAY too much of the show last night was wasted on this stuff, but I think he'd hold up just fine in any debate, because like someone stated earlier, he has the passion and confidence in his beliefs.

I did'nt care for his comment about the " blinders ", because I was thinking that was a pretty judgemental blanket to throw out there, especially considering I would consider him the one who should look out for those blinders, but other than that, it was just a passionate guy trying to make a difference, and whether I like it or not, it was his forum, afterall.

I could care less that he thinks a little less of Pearl Jam fans that don't agree with him. It should'nt ever be that way, but if it is, what the hell are you gonna do?
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    El_Kabong wrote:
    i've never really seen ppl have so much contempt for the member(s) of a band and say they are one of their favorite bands...

I only have contempt for the way that Ed specifically, and many people here more generally, portray conservatives. It's degrading to suggest that we don't know "the truth" and that we're so wide-eyed that we don't know how the world works....it just seems that Ed's attitude has become increasingly insulting. Which is ironic since he seems to have difficulty forming a complete sentence on a consistent basis.
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
    I only have contempt for the way that Ed specifically, and many people here more generally, portray conservatives. It's degrading to suggest that we don't know "the truth" and that we're so wide-eyed that we don't know how the world works....it just seems that Ed's attitude has become increasingly insulting. Which is ironic since he seems to have difficulty forming a complete sentence on a consistent basis.

but i don't think he means it to all conservatives.

like on showbox, 'you don't have to agree w/ me, that's the meaning of democracy...'

we need a balance of ideas, but to be honest both conservative and liberal parties have been hijacked and are pretty ineffectual overall except at wasting our tax dollars.
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    El_Kabong wrote:
    but i don't think he means it to all conservatives.

like on showbox, 'you don't have to agree w/ me, that's the meaning of democracy...'

we need a balance of ideas, but to be honest both conservative and liberal parties have been hijacked and are pretty ineffectual overall except at wasting our tax dollars.

I understand your point...but imagine ann coulter being the lead singer of your favorite band...and imagine her being very articulate in her song-writing, and her ability to convey those messages through songs that people who even disagree with some of the overarching themes can identify with the more specific lyrics. But then, once the music's over...she becomes Ann Coulter once again...

Unfortunately, conservatives really suck at art...so it's hard to come up with a good counter example.
    I understand your point...but imagine ann coulter being the lead singer of your favorite band...and imagine her being very articulate in her song-writing, and her ability to convey those messages through songs that people who even disagree with some of the overarching themes can identify with the more specific lyrics. But then, once the music's over...she becomes Ann Coulter once again...

Unfortunately, conservatives really suck at art...so it's hard to come up with a good counter example.

no, i understand...it's like w/ ppl who are christian, if you say something and about someone like falwell and generalize by saying 'christian' some will think you are taking a shot at them...it's not always all encompasing
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    El_Kabong wrote:
    no, i understand...it's like w/ ppl who are christian, if you say something and about someone like falwell and generalize by saying 'christian' some will think you are taking a shot at them...it's not always all encompasing

I think it's just the polarization of the time...I'm as far as you can get from a religious conservative, but I always find myself defending myself. I think both sides have misconceptions about the other.
  • EV: For me, the fear is that my daughter in 20 years, if she wants to have a well-paying or decent-paying job after educating herself, will have to work for one of maybe three to five major corporations that run the whole fucking globe. And that those corporations will probably be profiting off the unhealthy state of consumers. There will be blood money involved. You won’t be able to make an honest living that can’t be tracked back to some destruction of the environment or some disrespect to American workers. When I say disrespect, I mean all-out abandonment, as all the factory jobs will be in other countries. Not to go off on a tangent, but not only do they go to other countries, they go to other countries for a while and then switch to another one after they exhaust those resources. It’s a real chew-them-up-and-spit-them-out corporate approach; at some point, the planet is going to be decimated. [Laughs] Bring in the guitar solo.

Honestly, most leftists don't realize how silly they sound with this anti-corporation paranoia. Forgive me for thinking that Ed may just be a wee bit out of touch with the "American workers." Does Ed even know that the unemployment rate is 4.6%?

And, come to think of it, why would a humanist like Ed, who doesn't believe in defining people by borders, be upset that a corporation is providing jobs in another country? Don't Indians and Mexicans and Indonesians deserve to make a living too?

The problem with Ed, as I see it, and the problem with many leftists, is that because of their justifiable opposition to the war they feel that everything that is even remotely associated with Bush must be evil. It's not a very logical position, and it leads to some bizarre reasoning, such as the above quoted ramblings of Mr. Vedder.
    I'm not a hate monger.
    I don't hate anyone.
    I'm more of a hate...stylist.
  • 69charger69charger Posts: 1,045
    I agree with most of you on your views of Ted Nugent...

Ted may be nuts, but at least he is very articulate and thought out.
    El_Kabong wrote:

So you can't appreciate the paintings of someone you disagree politically with?

I've never understood this argument.
    Honestly, most leftists don't realize how silly they sound with this anti-corporation paranoia. Forgive me for thinking that Ed may just be a wee bit out of touch with the "American workers." Does Ed even know that the unemployment rate is 4.6%?

And, come to think of it, why would a humanist like Ed, who doesn't believe in defining people by borders, be upset that a corporation is providing jobs in another country? Don't Indians and Mexicans and Indonesians deserve to make a living too?

The problem with Ed, as I see it, and the problem with many leftists, is that because of their justifiable opposition to the war they feel that everything that is even remotely associated with Bush must be evil. It's not a very logical position, and it leads to some bizarre reasoning, such as the above quoted ramblings of Mr. Vedder.

Ed is obviously EXTREMELY far left, and has an unfounded disdain for capitalism. It's not a mainstream view but I understand where he's coming from. I just resent him saying that I don't know "the truth." Trust me, I do, and knowing this truth, I approve of where we are going as opposed to where Ed would want us to go. And even though those are my beliefs, I am NOT evil!
  • WindNoSailWindNoSail Posts: 580
    Ed is obviously EXTREMELY far left, and has an unfounded disdain for capitalism. It's not a mainstream view but I understand where he's coming from. I just resent him saying that I don't know "the truth." Trust me, I do, and knowing this truth, I approve of where we are going as opposed to where Ed would want us to go. And even though those are my beliefs, I am NOT evil!

What if the truth were actually all lies, what if all the lies were truth - and no one knew the difference. What if what Ed's truth is actually the lies, and Bush is telling the truth. Wow, that would rock someones world.
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
  • WesternskyWesternsky Posts: 363
    Unfortunately, conservatives really suck at art...

Now that is funny, and true. :D lol
  • Ed is obviously EXTREMELY far left, and has an unfounded disdain for capitalism.

And ironically, of course, he's done pretty good by it; he flies from one event to the next by private jet, he sleeps in 5-star hotels, he makes enough money to do what he wants when he wants.

...and, of course, he knows exactly what I, a typical "American worker", should believe in order to know the "truth".
    I'm not a hate monger.
    I don't hate anyone.
    I'm more of a hate...stylist.
  • WindNoSailWindNoSail Posts: 580
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Purple Hawk
    Unfortunately, conservatives really suck at art...

Westernsky wrote:
    Now that is funny, and true. :D lol

It is funny, and sort of true...I have actually discussed this before some, is it possible that right brain and left brain focus is what seperates cons from libs too? Wow, that could mean you are actually born with political leanings! Then it would be hard to hate the other side for something they have a genetic predisposition for.
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
    69charger wrote:
    So you can't appreciate the paintings of someone you disagree politically with?

I've never understood this argument.

is the painting expressing a view that is contradictory to my views? am i bashing the artist repeatedly and insulting their intelligence?
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    69charger wrote:
    Ted may be nuts, but at least he is very articulate and thought out.

he seems like a mean asshole to me...i left that superstar show on after storytellers and he was really mean and demeaning to the wardrobe girl and refered to her as 'woman' like 'look woman, i'm not taking fashion advice from someone w/ purple extensions in their hair, what, are you a clown? do you have a part time job at a circus?....'
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • dg1979usdg1979us Posts: 568
    I think those quotes show someone who is very much informed, atriculate and in touch with the world that's around us all not just around him.

I disagree with that. I probably agree with his politics more than disagree, and do think he is probably well informed. However, I havent seen any interview with him that I can honestly say shows how informed he is, and in a 4 minute rock song you can get across your message, but not really indicate why that is your message. I wanna see or read a political interview with Ed. I think he would be great and I think I would agree with most of what he said, but that rolling stone interview or wherever that interview posted came from isnt politically astute what so ever and I honestly dont think I have seen an interview with him that I would consider politically astute. And that isnt his fault, he answers the questions he is asked, but anyone can spew anti Bush rants, and then answer a few softball questions about it without being challenged. I want to see him challenged and see how good he really is. WHich, I think he would be quite good, but I would like to see it firsthand.
    El_Kabong wrote:
    he seems like a mean asshole to me...i left that superstar show on after storytellers and he was really mean and demeaning to the wardrobe girl and refered to her as 'woman' like 'look woman, i'm not taking fashion advice from someone w/ purple extensions in their hair, what, are you a clown? do you have a part time job at a circus?....'

That was funny and he had a good point.
  • PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    El_Kabong wrote:

Ive never seen a bandmember with such contempt for a large chunk of their fans. Oh well, if ya cant beat em, Fuck em.

Myself, Im a mccready man.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    Ed was totally joking when he said "fuck 'em." I think my jaw dropped for a second there, but then he explained and I promptly closed my mouth. He said he respects our views and if it gets us to do research and take our blinders off, then good. Or whatever he said. The first time I watched I took that to mean both sides should do their research and take their blinders off. On second viewing, I realized he's just generalizing and saying all conservatives are "in the dark" so to speak. I wasn't offended by anything Eddie said. He's just a lead singer in an old band from the 90s. How much does he really know?
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    eddies politics = big deal :rolleyes: he's just as entitled to his view as I am mine. He's got the format to say things and he does. I disagree with him on a lot of things and I never once during storytellers got offended, even at the fuck 'em comment. I chuckled b/c it was funny and sarcastic. It seemed that he implored to everyone to do their research and make sure the blinders aren't on...that can apply to both sides. If you follow the Bush Admin blindly it's no different than following eddie, michael moore, ann coulter, rush etc.. blindly. Do your research / reasoning for yourself and if you have a different idea that from bush or the same conclusions...at least make them yours. People will always throw out the sheep comments, that usually comes from an arrogance, imo. Some people are sheep, I'm sure...but to call a whole sect of the population sheep for disagreeing with you or agreeing with something you don't is a little nuts, imo. I thought eddie answered the question very well...it at least provides discussion, which is a good thing...hopefully discussion leads to understanding of people's views, which does not have to lead to agreeance or changing ones views.
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    1vs5 wrote:
    What's everyone think about it?
    I thought he was brilliant and you could tell he thought a lot about it.

hail hail Eddie! :D
  • ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,025

Ok so the unemployment rate is at 4.6%, but over 67% of all families in the US on welfare have at least one family member working a full-time job, probably without benies, and probably for about $6/hr. Corporations can hide behind a low unemployment rate, but they can't hide behind the hunger and need they enforce. Moreover, people in other countries do not have any semblence (the US doesn't even have it right), human rights to defend themselves and make a comparable wage, work 6-7 days a week, over 10 hrs a day, and corporations are good.

In Mexico NAFTA took away farmers rights to their own tract of land...In China privatization has left those in rural areas in need, while the cities become overstuffed with poor people trying to make a living - many in the sex industry. In the Phillipines the Corporate Golf Course Movement is taking away people's land that they lived and subsisted on for 1000's of years to make golf courses for the rich. In Argentina, the country that sold itself out to neoliberal corporate pressure, the economy collapsed leaving many poor and without work. In the last 15 years in the United States corporate CEO's have seen pay raises of 300 percent, while the minimum wage has remained relatively stagnent.

The move towards privatization around the world has NEVER worked to the benefit of the people, it has always worked to the benefit of the very rich, and yet people still defend it as if it were a good thing. Wonder why? The supposedly 'liberal' media is owned, run by, and works to benefit the very rich. Since they are controlling what we see, hear, and to some extent feel (this is not to say the commoners can't fight back) our 'blinders' kind of are on.

So take your 4.6% unemployment rate and hide behind it because it does nothing to appease the needs of the many. Oh yeah happy 4th of July.
  • SuzannePjamSuzannePjam Posts: 411
    you can't give more than $2,000

As far as Ed going on any talk show, I think he knows his limitations. He's "good" at one liners that people can't respond to, but something tells me he'd make Ben Affleck look like Albert Einstein in any arena where he actually has to back up his opinions without referencing prophets of the truth (i.e. cooks like Zinn, et. al.)

I think it's rather funny that many of you are trashing how Ed speaks and his "limitations" on expressing himself politically when we have one of the most (if not THE most) verbally impaired presidents in the history of the United States.

"I think — tide turning — see, as I remember — I was raised in the desert, but tides kind of — it's easy to see a tide turn — did I say those words?" —George W. Bush, asked if the tide was turning in Iraq, Washington, D.C., June 14, 2006

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." —President George W. Bush, Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 17, 2002

I mean, SERIOUSLY, folks. Let George W. speak without being completely prepped and scripted and I would love to hear the things that come out of his mouth. :D
    "Where there is sacrifice there is someone collecting the sacrificial offerings."-- Ayn Rand

"Some of my friends sit around every evening and they worry about the times ahead,
    But everybody else is overwhelmed by indifference and the promise of an early bed..."-- Elvis Costello
  • _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    I think it's rather funny that many of you are trashing how Ed speaks and his "limitations" on expressing himself politically when we have one of the most (if not THE most) verbally impaired presidents in the history of the United States.

"I think — tide turning — see, as I remember — I was raised in the desert, but tides kind of — it's easy to see a tide turn — did I say those words?" —George W. Bush, asked if the tide was turning in Iraq, Washington, D.C., June 14, 2006

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." —President George W. Bush, Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 17, 2002

I mean, SERIOUSLY, folks. Let George W. speak without being completely prepped and scripted and I would love to hear the things that come out of his mouth. :D

lol, you're right. I think this means Ed should run for president. ;)
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • SuzannePjamSuzannePjam Posts: 411
    lol, you're right. I think this means Ed should run for president. ;)
    Yeah! If you use Purple Hawks comparison chart, if Ed makes Ben Afflack look like Albert Einstein, then George W. makes Ed look like freakin' god! :D
    "Where there is sacrifice there is someone collecting the sacrificial offerings."-- Ayn Rand

"Some of my friends sit around every evening and they worry about the times ahead,
    But everybody else is overwhelmed by indifference and the promise of an early bed..."-- Elvis Costello
    Yeah! If you use Purple Hawks comparison chart, if Ed makes Ben Afflack look like Albert Einstein, then George W. makes Ed look like freakin' god! :D

sorry, god has no place in a public forum like this.

Actually, I did find Ben Affleck surprisingly articulate the few times that I've seen him discuss politics.
  • whitepantswhitepants Posts: 718
    I missed it, and I can't download it. When will it air on VH1 again?

Thx
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    whitepants wrote:
    I missed it, and I can't download it. When will it air on VH1 again?

Thx

VHI (Classic) tomorrow at 9 pm.. If you do not have classic I think it re-runs on VHI at 11 Am tom....I think, but I am not sure.