Options

World War III?

orig_bise2postorig_bise2post Posts: 193
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
This shit is getting out of control. I'm truly scared that a new World War could change the face of the world. The new video calling for attacks on the western world in general by Ayman al-Zawahiri is a huge step forward towards a huge war. It could unite the shiite and sunni sects, both of which have huge militias.

I'm using the word militia instead of terrorist groups because just passing them off as a terrorist group otherizes them and doesn't lend credit to their beliefs. This doesn't mean I support them... I just believe that the key to avoiding a new world war is understanding and open discourse... not general assumptions and bombs.

I realize this may just be a power play by al Qaeda, and the two groups may never unite, but the possibility is there. the fact that they have different agendas but the same common enemy (Israel / US) is similar to the United States and Russia in WWII where we were allies and then fought (albeit diplomatically for the most part) eachother.

Do you guys think we may be entering the dawn of World War III? I sure hope not, but i'm afraid we are.

Article: http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/27/zawahiri.tape/index.html
"Nobody is ever promised tomorrow. Increase the peace."
~Juan Azize
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Infinity_NowInfinity_Now Posts: 188
    I truly believe that American are SO DIVIDED after the Bush/Republican fiasco and the blunder that was Iraq - that we as a nation would not allow another war. I think if whatever leadership we had would suggest large-scale warfare this country would probably choose civil war first, and split right in two.

I think the "left" are smart enough to altogether rebel against another "World War," and the "right" are insane enough to have been actively pursuing another one since the Versais (spelling?) Treaty of WWII.

Bush can't lead the U.S. into another war - his ability to do so has expired. Remember 33% approval? What if the same guy said, "Let's go bomb Iran."? We wouldn't take it.

...So I don't know if this will calm your fears or not... but there is probably little chance of another World War. Certainly - Israel and Palestine are entering round two of a war they started in the early eighties - and that's bad enough - but how many Americans are going to go over there and fight for the Arabs? ...or the Israeli's? None.

Only if we get attacked again, will we enter another war - that's how Bush and Co. lured us into Iraq. I bet they're praying for another September 11th.

Yes - that's pretty much how much I despise Bush, I definitely believe that it's possible the chance of further military conquest get's them so giddy, they truly aren't able to see the effect on American lives. Like Jesus, they're the shepherds leading their flock right into the slaughterhouse.
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    I'm of the opinion that al Qaeda has always had this in mind. I believe it has been their main motivation, inititive and goal.

I strongly believe World War 3/The Holy War/ and their twisted version of jihad, is exactly what they wanted all along. They want to convert the planet to their variation of Islam and destroy all those they disaprove of.

They want an Islamic Planet.

I think their actions, propaganda and scheming was always to draw Israel and the US into a world wide conflict.

Bush and this Administration seems to have walked right into it. They fell for it.
  • Options
    Casey1Casey1 Posts: 11
    Bush's biggest mistake (of which there are many) is that he spent all of his political capital on the war in Iraq when he should have been saving it for when he really needed...like now. Iraq was the biggest strategic blunder in military history. It was a war of choice...we chose the time and the location, yet we did not use enough people and we did npt secure the borders. The place is overrun with foreign fighters in addition to homegrown militias. Iran controls the country and there's nothing we can do about it. But don't worry, because Bush and Rumsfeld say that everything is okay (ha!).

Zawahiri's comments indicate a major shift in operational focus for al-Qaeda. If they have had a master plan in reserve, I would say that they are ready to implement it now. We will just have to wait and see what happens. This is scary shit and I wish I wasn't caught right in the middle of it.
  • Options
    miskinmiskin Posts: 278
    i dont think al qaeda are powerful enough to provoke 'ww3'.
    they say a lot of stuff all the time, but theyr relatively powerless.
    myspace.com/airstriponeuk
  • Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    Don't shift attention, or bring focus on it, and it will not become reality.
  • Options
    NCfanNCfan Posts: 945
    I think WWIII has already started with Islamic Facsist pitted against the modern world.

I think most people don't buy into that until we get attacked again. Even then, there will still be those who blame ourselves - but the majority will wake up.

The war is basically conservatives (Americans/few others) versus conservative (Islamic fascist). The liberals are standing on the side lines blaming the American right and trying to get us to settle down.

The right blames the liberals for not looking at the world like we do and recognizing the threat. The right is pissed at the left because they inhibit our ablility to wage a successful fight.
  • Options
    THE LOOKTHE LOOK Posts: 324
    I am about sick of this Zawahiri. I would love to get into the octagon with this fool.
    Bigfoot is blurry.
    - Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    there are only two sides ... those that want peace and those that want to wage war ... the side that wants peace is by far the majority but they don't make the decisions that drives these events ...
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    there are only two sides ... those that want peace and those that want to wage war ... the side that wants peace is by far the majority but they don't make the decisions that drives these events ...

That is a pretty simplistic view. Everybody wants peace... even the Islamic Fascist. We just don't agree with their idea of peace and they don't agree with ours.

The left doesn't agree with the right on how to bring about peace. But in the end, that is what everybody wants.
  • Options
    NCfan wrote:
    That is a pretty simplistic view. Everybody wants peace... even the Islamic Fascist. We just don't agree with their idea of peace and they don't agree with ours.

The left doesn't agree with the right on how to bring about peace. But in the end, that is what everybody wants.

well ... everything is based on what your perceptions of reality are ... mine are clearly different from yours ...
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    well ... everything is based on what your perceptions of reality are ... mine are clearly different from yours ...

agreed on that!
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    NMyTree wrote:
    I'm of the opinion that al Qaeda has always had this in mind. I believe it has been their main motivation, inititive and goal.

I strongly believe World War 3/The Holy War/ and their twisted version of jihad, is exactly what they wanted all along. They want to convert the planet to their variation of Islam and destroy all those they disaprove of.

I think their actions, propaganda and scheming was always to draw Israel and the US into a world wide conflict.

Bush and this Administration seems to have walked right into it. They fell for it.
    NCfan wrote:
    I think WWIII has already started with Islamic Facsist pitted against the modern world.

I think most people don't buy into that until we get attacked again. Even then, there will still be those who blame ourselves - but the majority will wake up.

The war is basically conservatives (Americans/few others) versus conservative (Islamic fascist). The liberals are standing on the side lines blaming the American right and trying to get us to settle down.

The right blames the liberals for not looking at the world like we do and recognizing the threat. The right is pissed at the left because they inhibit our ablility to wage a successful fight.

Very well put. If I could have put my thoughts into those words, I would have. Great posts.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    NMyTree wrote:

it's my opinion that america wants to rule the world, they want to spread democracy in the middle east so that american companies like mcdonalds and starbucks will thrive and american oil companies can suck the desert dry. i think this has been the plan all along.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    it's my opinion that america wants to rule the world, they want to spread democracy in the middle east so that american companies like mcdonalds and starbucks will thrive and american oil companies can suck the desert dry. i think this has been the plan all along.

I believe that is also true.

Both have their individual agendas and they have been pursuing meeting those goals, for a very long time.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Don't worry man, France hasn't Surrendered yet.

World Wars don't begin until France Surrenders.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    onelongsongonelongsong Posts: 3,517
    i really can't believe that people are not getting it. yes; we are entering WWIII. north korea and iran still have to play their hands; but everything is coming to a head.
    geraldo did a story yesterday that "P" town doesn't want straights in their town. they use the deroggatory BREEDERS to describe hetros (among other names). this is the start of social unrest as gay bashing starts up again they piss off the wrong people in power.
    add the immigration turmoil and a few other social problems and we're in for a hell of a ride.
  • Options
    robbierobbie Posts: 882
    NCfan wrote:

not everybody wants peace. follow the money. there is profit and power to be obtained from war. halliburton does not want peace. no oil company wants peace. weapons manufacturers do not want peace. fear mongering politicians do not want peace. religion does not want peace. i cannot believe that there are still people who believe that EVERYONE wants peace. what everyone seems to want is power. look at human history fom fucking out loud. does it look like a history bent o peace or struggle for power.or profit? those without anything to gain from war want peace....but those are not the people in power. i assure you the bush administration does not want peace. whre would they be without war? where would they be without fear? even the most supportive of the presidents plans to roll back our civil liberties are supportive because these losses of liberty make us "safer" the increased power the president enjoys does not come from peace...but from war. al qaeda does not want peace. they want to impose their insane religion on the entire planet. conversion or death is not a peaceful tactic. not when it is al qaedas tactic, and not when it was the tactic of cortez by order of the pope. please look at who profits from war...and look at their place in society...their place to decide war or peace...and then tell me everybody wants peace.
  • Options
    robbie wrote:
    not everybody wants peace. follow the money. there is profit and power to be obtained from war. halliburton does not want peace. no oil company wants peace. weapons manufacturers do not want peace. fear mongering politicians do not want peace. religion does not want peace. i cannot believe that there are still people who believe that EVERYONE wants peace. what everyone seems to want is power. look at human history fom fucking out loud. does it look like a history bent o peace or struggle for power.or profit? those without anything to gain from war want peace....but those are not the people in power. i assure you the bush administration does not want peace. whre would they be without war? where would they be without fear? even the most supportive of the presidents plans to roll back our civil liberties are supportive because these losses of liberty make us "safer" the increased power the president enjoys does not come from peace...but from war. al qaeda does not want peace. they want to impose their insane religion on the entire planet. conversion or death is not a peaceful tactic. not when it is al qaedas tactic, and not when it was the tactic of cortez by order of the pope. please look at who profits from war...and look at their place in society...their place to decide war or peace...and then tell me everybody wants peace.

Those are some hard truths. As you stated, human behavior and human histroy completely supports and proves it.
  • Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    NMyTree wrote:

I think I agree with you. I mean, I'm not sure about al Qaeda and their motivations, but as for the U.S. walking right into it....absolutely. The U.S. is spending a million dollars on this war for every suicide bomber out there....which probably costs them only a few hundred bucks. My real concern here is the debt of the U.S. That is more likely to personally affect each one of us Americans. The "terrorists" are bankrupting the United States and the shit will soon hit the fan.

As for WW3....I'm more concerned about that crazy bastard running North Korea. Talk about a lunatic....with nukes. U.S. intelligence (yeah, funny isn't it) says that they've got 6-13 nukes with a madman's finger on the big red button. That's pretty damn scary IMO.
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    NMyTree wrote:

But it sounded great to the population when they were fighting the nasty Russians with American money. No?

Fell for it? They funded it. They know what is going on. Don't discredit the people in power so easily. They need somebody to fight and now they have the whole middle east. Should eat up some years on the old clock.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    miskin wrote:
    i dont think al qaeda are powerful enough to provoke 'ww3'.
    they say a lot of stuff all the time, but theyr relatively powerless.
    No shit...they couldn't even knock down the twin towers without the U.S. government being involved...
  • Options
    THE LOOK wrote:
    I am about sick of this Zawahiri. I would love to get into the octagon with this fool.
    lol...he's not even real, dude. They've used the same photo of him only slightly altered and try to pass it off as a new photo. It's quite silly. No doubt the U.S. just needed a new face for the bad guy since they fucked up the whole Bin Laden thing.
  • Options
    NCfan wrote:

Oh really? You think arms dealers want peace? You think politicians that get mad money from these companies want peace? Talk about simplistic views.....
  • Options
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    Clearly the plan, except you certainly cannot use the word "democracy." The American government does not believe in democracy. They put their leaders where they want them. There have been several instances of U.S. involvement in overthrowing a democratically elected leadership on foreign soil. Plus, if America truly believed in democracy then Al Gore would have taken the presidency in 2000 that he so rightfully deserved.
  • Options
    robbie wrote:

thank you ... and these people are making all the decisions in this world ... understanding al qaeda was originally funded by the CIA ... there are only really 2 sides to this ...
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Casey1 wrote:
    Bush's biggest mistake (of which there are many) is that he spent all of his political capital on the war in Iraq when he should have been saving it for when he really needed...like now. Iraq was the biggest strategic blunder in military history. It was a war of choice...we chose the time and the location, yet we did not use enough people and we did npt secure the borders. The place is overrun with foreign fighters in addition to homegrown militias. Iran controls the country and there's nothing we can do about it. But don't worry, because Bush and Rumsfeld say that everything is okay (ha!).

Zawahiri's comments indicate a major shift in operational focus for al-Qaeda. If they have had a master plan in reserve, I would say that they are ready to implement it now. We will just have to wait and see what happens. This is scary shit and I wish I wasn't caught right in the middle of it.

welcome to the board... do you mind if i ask what the hell you are doing in bagdad?
  • Options
    icarus wrote:
    plus israel is scaling back its offensive against lebanon.
    Maybe I'm wrong but calling up 30,000 reserve troops and setting up shop near the border sure doesn't seem like "scaling back" to me. I'm guessing you heard this rubbish on foxnews?
  • Options
    icarus wrote:
    israel has said theyre not going to invade as far as they had planned and that they wont occupy as much territory as before. but i guess you have the inside info.
    "Israel has said"....sorry, I couldn't make it past those three words. It's not about what they're saying, it's about what they're fucking doing.
  • Options
    sourdoughsourdough Posts: 579
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Don't worry man, France hasn't Surrendered yet.

World Wars don't begin until France Surrenders.

Excellent Point!
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Although there may be a point in time labelled as WWIII it will be fought in a completely different way than the previous 2. Too many people have nuclear weapons collecting dust and as soon as one of them is fired we are all in very big trouble.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?