Laturalus will blow your mind (more than you already know)

2»

Comments

• ShwnShwn Posts: 37
    frogwater wrote:
    cool how you figured out the "true" song order of 'lateralus.'

But whoever spent all the time deciphering tool's little limericks could have saved a lot more time by just picking up the Bible, which is the ultimate blueprint for all mankind, and it contains the ONLY path to everlasting life, which is putting faith in Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior.

Good day.

You can't prove that you'll have eternal life by believing in Jesus anymore than you can prove that a hidden message for eternal life is in Lateralus. By the way, I don't think the intention was that a hidden meaning in Lateralus had anything to do with eternal life, just the lyrics in the song itself, which take the idea that everyone is in some way immortal in spiritual essence.
    "One day we will all be in the soil with no gods to slave to, and no heroes to kill for"
    -Between the Buried and Me
  • pj_zombie wrote:
    I only own Lateralus and don't find Tool one of my favorite bands but I must admit that's pretty cool. I can appreciate the amount of time they put to make something like that. Kind of makes me wonder what they'll come up with this new album since it's been another 5 years about.

If that the only Tool you own, get the others. I found Lat to be a disappointment. On another note, how the hell does one figure all that shit out without being an insider?
  • Shwn wrote:
    You can't prove that you'll have eternal life by believing in Jesus anymore than you can prove that a hidden message for eternal life is in Lateralus.

You don't need proof when you have Faith. (Even though the Bible is written proof).

Good day, SHAWN.
  • You can find that sort of things all over Tool and APC's albums. Its the same with Thirteenth Step, changeng the order of the tracks and all. Same hidden meaning of eMOTIVe and aMOTION. There you have *motiv* and motion*, and if you change the initial letters you get *emotion* and *a motive*.

They just like to play with us: ;)
    How can I be free with what's locked inside of me?
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,322
    frogwater wrote:
    Agreed.

No matter what order you listen to the songs on "Lateralus," it still sounds like a Rush cover album, or worse, an Asia cover album.

well i guess it makes sense that i'm a huge Rush fan, and I think Lateralus is better...
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    well i guess it makes sense that i'm a huge Rush fan, and I think Lateralus is better...
    I'd venture to say thats its better than any Rush album.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,322
    viggs20 wrote:
    I'd venture to say thats its better than any Rush album.

depends on what i'm in the mood for.

nothing beats the pure geeky joy of Rush.

and though danny carey is a close 2nd to neil peart, adam jones ain't got nothin on alex lifeson.

is maynard a better vocalist than geddy lee? sure. but i think geddy doesn't get enough credit. i think he's the only one who could make those dorkyass songs work. like the way he emotes on songs like manhatten project, time stand still, tai shan and bravado... its so unbridled, and yet flows with the melody and the mood of the music flawlessly.

and almost all of the compositions Rush came up with from the late 70s and throughout the 80s are nothing short of genius. either they make every fucking note and bit of percussion build the perfect crescendo, or they make syncronicity seem like blissful chaos.

that said, tool definately rocks harder. and lyric-wise... well... of course tool is better. :D
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i couldnt care less for tool and their music
    just like nirvana
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • U-RU-R Posts: 223
    this caused untold debate and grief and headaches on tool's chatroom/message board back in the day, this and a few similar things, some sensible, some anything but.

it's interesting. it does start venturing into the realm of "play dark side of the moon backwards watching the wizard of oz on 15 hits of acid and you'll find god man!" type territory, but if it is a perfect mathematical sequence (i don't know if it is or not) then you'd have to say that it wouldn't be by coincidence. the time signatures on some of the songs (the grudge especially) had this amature guitarists' fingers tied in knots that's for sure, but tool are the type of band that can do that, math formulas or otherwise.

another little thing from lateralus that i'd be quite confident was an intentional "mistake" was the spelling of the title track on the back cover. (lateralis instead of lateralus). this is probably old news but some may not have seen it: bLAck and whiTE aRe ALl I See
    if you love somebody, set them free. if somebody loves you, don't fuck up
  • Digging about that, I think the original concequence of the tracks is the one mentioned above as *The Holy Gift* and then they just decided to record the cd and change their position at random. Of course, the one who discovers the Gift would think s/he discover sth crucial. Come on, it takes loads of time to create such riddles as those. And those who make them must be some Einsteins or sth.
    How can I be free with what's locked inside of me?
  • duffyduffy Posts: 74
    Timber wrote:
    this is so goddamn stupid

lol

funniest board and post response ever.

:D
  • What you were saying about mathematics makes perfect sense with your findings, especially when Maynard claims "I've done the math enough to know the nature of our second guessing" in the song "Schism." Very brilliant band I must say, gotta love Tool!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • This has gotta be the best thread on the whole site - that was cool to read your theory (although I admit I skipped a couple of thousand words mate) and some of the replies are fckin piss funny (especially the guy who says the Bible is living proof of...........whatever).

Anyway it wouldnt surprise me if your right cos even without it its got to be one of the most intricate albums ever recorded. Best album released since Radioheads OK Computer Id say - fcuk knows what theyre gonna come up with on the next one!!