Options

Out of the 'popular' bands out there right now..

shahrilshahril Posts: 288
edited January 2006 in Other Music
which one do u think is genuinely good? im speaking of bands like coldplay, the strokes, hoobastank, even green day presently..basically bands whose fans dont have nearly the musical knowledge we perceive we do. :D im talking abt bands on mtv, and ones which many young girls love.

imho its incubus.

these guys are genuinely genuinely talented musicians. i think theyll never receive critical acclaim simply because of their popularity. i kno it sounds funny, but i feel that being as popular and 'lovable' as they are with a pin-up lead singer in brandon boyd, people like us MAY overlook them. as with ANY musician or artist, i always consciously look past whatever hype (or absence of hype), and popularity or whatever other stuff and concentrate 100% on the music. thats how i form my opinion that nirvana are overrated, for instance. look past the stuff that comes along with it. look ONLY at the music..

and when u do that i think ull see that incubus are massively talented.

anyone think any of the other popular bands are actually as good as these guys?
I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Incubus is not bad, but I would give the nod to Queens of the Stone Age. I think by mixing things up all the time Josh Homme keeps himself fresh. Similar to why Neil Young always enjoyed working with other musicians. I think his riffs are awesome. His lyrics, well dylan he is not but they are not horrible. I must admit i'm not in love with his voice either but it's not painful. Now when Mark Lanegan takes the mic that is when they sound even better!

For me Queens of the Stone Age are the best of the popular bands right now, but I'm not really sure they are that popular......
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    QOTSA are good i agree...but i wasnt thinking of that kinda bands u kno...u could put foo fighters there as well if QOTSA's ur pick..its more of pop-rock bands..the ones that average Joe would know.
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    Incubus AND QOTSA happen to be two bands that really get me charged up. They're both amazing live and I never get sick of listening to their records. In my own humble opinion, they represent true musical talent and integrity without sacrificing social commentary and rockin' fun. Comparing either of them to Green Day is like comparing apples to oranges. Green Day are great in their own way. I don't think that Coldplay or the Strokes can touch the previously mentioned three bands for originality. I will give up on a band when they sound the same song after song, album after album. I think I've officially given up on Coldplay and The Strokes.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    coldplay didn always sound as ordinary as they do now. listen to the brothers and sisters ep or even parachutes..then compare it to now..theres a difference they dont sound the same. that said, i dont like x&y at all. if ure talking of bands sounding the same look at oasis. no progress imho. the strokes will hardly change much i believe, but they do have a knack of writing good solid catchy songs. thats their forte.

but i agree with ur statement that incubus and qotsa write good stuff without sacrificing social commentary and rocking fun. well said

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    shahril wrote:
    coldplay didn always sound as ordinary as they do now. listen to the brothers and sisters ep or even parachutes..then compare it to now..

I totally agree. I love Parachutes especially. It just really said something when X&Y came out and no one around here wanted me to buy the record. Took a pass on seeing them live, too. There's just too much good music out there to spend time listening to something you don't feel excited about.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    I totally agree. I love Parachutes especially. It just really said something when X&Y came out and no one around here wanted me to buy the record. Took a pass on seeing them live, too. There's just too much good music out there to spend time listening to something you don't feel excited about.

I actually still really like Coldplay but I agree that their earlier stuff was better. I saw them in August and will see them again this month in Seattle. As for other "popular" bands, I really dig U2.
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    I would say System. And I have never heard of Greenday be coined 'original'
  • Options
    TimberTimber Posts: 38
    system of a down
    i am disco
  • Options
    DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    The Mars Volta.

Some of the best musicians playing today.
    No one is Righteous.......
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I like the mars volta too, but even though they had a song on mtv i don't think they are too popular... :(
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Incubus

Fall Out Boy (before you flame..listen to something by them other than Sugar We're going down)
  • Options
    moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I've been really into Jimmy Eat World lately, especially some of their earlier stuff, pre-Bleed American (or their self titled CD, with The Middle depending on when you got it). I also think their current release, Futures, is amazing from start to finish.
  • Options
    I don't really understand all the anti-Coldplay sentiment around here. I thought X&Y was quite good. Personally, I'm glad they're not just doing the same thing over and over again. Other MTV bands I enjoy are The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand, and Dave Matthews. I find Incubus incredibly bland.
  • Options
    I don't really understand all the anti-Coldplay sentiment around here. I thought X&Y was quite good. Personally, I'm glad they're not just doing the same thing over and over again. Other MTV bands I enjoy are The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand, and Dave Matthews. I find Incubus incredibly bland.

believe me i used to really really dig coldplay. i mean big time. but i just feel that on this latest one theyve settled for ordinary. its good to evolve yes. but evolution in music does not always come out right. if u want a example of full blown evolution that succeeded look at pearl jam and radiohead. those u can say evolved for the better (even tho i dont dig riot act at all). coldplay is just sliding down towards mediocricy/ty?? (sp.?) hehe.

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    I'd say Jimmy Eat World is a good fit for what you're look for in this topic. I love their music. Well, I hated their first CD but everything after that has been amazing and Futures is the best. It's the perfect combination of Clarity and their self-titled release. They can definately rock out and I can at least say all their stuff doesn't sound the same.

If I were to say the band that's the opposite is Nickelback. No musical talent(never do their own solos, mainly use Dimebag's on the past two records), no respect for what music should be, which is an art used to express a passion. Instead Chad writes songs about dirty sex and being a rockstar. And if anyone wants to talk about an album sounding the same release after release they're the definition you'd find in a dictionary.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    The Futureheads are pretty popular. But in my opinion, they should rise up further and conquer the universe.
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569

in my opinion Coldplay just sound like a lighter version of U2, to me they sound really bland and uninspired to me.
    and are Hoobastank really popular? i've only heard/seen 2 songs/videos by them.
    i actually like the new Strokes song which is a first for me.
    Incubus and QOTSA are two of my favourite bands especially QOTSA, i like the Foos they really went up in my estimations after IYH's accoustic disc, also like System of a Down, although i aint got the new albums yet.
    as for new bands that are becoming popular Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys and Bloc Party are all really good, and Nine Black Alps are fairly rocking also.
    Green Day since Nimrod have just not appealed to me at all, and people who call them punk dont understand the meaning of the word, or what it stands for.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    VONVON Posts: 259
    Just exactly how 'popular' are we talking, because bands like Qotsa arent on mainstream radio here, however they're huge on triple j.

The foo's have gotten pretty big over the last year.
    They always have been and always will be talented.
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    oktacoma wrote:
    I actually still really like Coldplay but I agree that their earlier stuff was better. I saw them in August and will see them again this month in Seattle.

i'm seeing them this month too when they come up to vancouver - i'm mainly going because its one of the few bands my best friend and i can agree on (unfortunately i'll never be able to drag her to a pj concert), she loves coldplay and i dont mind them. though i like a number of their songs sometimes i feel when i'm listening to a bunch of their songs in a row, it all starts to sound like one...long...song... like, everything starts to meld together and sound the same.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    VON wrote:
    Just exactly how 'popular' are we talking, because bands like Qotsa arent on mainstream radio here, however they're huge on triple j.

The foo's have gotten pretty big over the last year.
    They always have been and always will be talented.

initially i wanted to stick to the real popular bands..like i said, greenday coldplay strokes..that type of popularity. cos if anything qotsa probably have similar kinda popularity with pj and radiohead..in which case those 2 bands win easily.

but thread evolution is fine i guess..;)

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    pj_zombie wrote:
    I'd say Jimmy Eat World is a good fit for what you're look for in this topic. I love their music. Well, I hated their first CD but everything after that has been amazing and Futures is the best. It's the perfect combination of Clarity and their self-titled release. They can definately rock out and I can at least say all their stuff doesn't sound the same.

I usually just skip over Static Prevails aside from a few songs. I just discovered No Sensitivity off of their DVD and Singles compilation. What a great song. Easy to play for the most part on the guitar too, which is always cool.
  • Options
    The Strokes are on the top of their game.

audioslave
    death cab for cutie
    coldplay (they're okay)
    My chemical romance has written at least 2 great fucking songs.
    white stripes

there are a lot of great bands still left in "popular" music (especially because indie rock is being raped by stations like Fuse - like grunge in the early 90s)... But you have to look still... usually the enourmously popular ones are terrible.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    toastertoaster Posts: 152
    Franz Ferdinand. I've been listening to their first record for almost half a year now and it's just so really good. Havn't picked up their second album yet, only due to the fact that I've been really short of money the last months..

But as far as Norwegian band goes it's got to be Madrugada or Kaizers. They're really popular, at least Madrugada, and their last albums have been hyped a lot. But they're still goood.