Options

Iron Maiden...One of the most underrated bands ever?

bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,529
edited December 2005 in Other Music
Thoughts?

10 words
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Hmm...Iron Maiden is definitely not under-rated...maybe they are not talked about much here but they are one of the most recognised and praised metal bands of all time and why not. They kick some mighty ass.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    viggs20 wrote:
    Hmm...Iron Maiden is definitely not under-rated...maybe they are not talked about much here but they are one of the most recognised and praised metal bands of all time and why not. They kick some mighty ass.

I sure don't think they're underrated.
    but there sure isn't much talk about them! wonder why..

Iron Maiden is really good and I have one of my best friends to thank for letting me in on their music. even though he did diss Guns 'n' Roses.. :D but I'll forgive him!

BTW, wouldn't it be cool to fly somewhere and have Bruce Dickinson as your captain? :D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i think they're rated just about right.
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    Their fanbase is massive and very loyal, i think brain of c put it best.

anyone get there hands on the new live dvd? i can't find it here, our music shops are usually a little late

(i think the release date was october something for north america)
    "Iron Maiden have confirmed they are to release a Double DVD and Live Album titled “DEATH ON THE ROAD” through EMI Records on August 29th 2005, and on Sanctuary Records in the USA on August 30th 2005.

The show was filmed at the Westfalenhalle Arena, Dortmund, Germany during the Dance of Death European Tour in December 2003 and fully captures the magnificent stage production and electricity of the band’s performance. Steve Harris once again took weeks personally editing the footage and like Rock in Rio this means thousands of cuts right into the heart of the action.

Says Steve Harris, “The shows on that tour were perhaps far more theatrical than some of our recent tours so it has a very different feel than that of, say, Rock in Rio which was a massive festival environment. The 115 minute show was originally filmed by VIVA TV in Germany to broadcast across their national TV network a few days afterwards. However TV and DVD are always very different mainly owing to the time restrictions. So we’ve spent time starting from the bare bones to create a full length concert feature that captures the excitement of the show but also the drama as well. I think when people see songs like Paschendale and Dance Of Death they’ll be blown away by the spectacle. At the same time there are some great moments in Journeyman that I think will surprise a few people. Iron Maiden with acoustic guitars?! I’m really happy with the end result as it captures the dark and lighter moments perfectly.”

The album and PCM Stereo / 5.1 Surround sound for the DVD has been mixed and produced by Kevin ‘Caveman’ Shirley and co-produced, as always, by Steve Harris.

The Double DVD also features a full 70-minute documentary directed by Matthew Amos charting the album’s creation and then subsequent preparations for the following tour. The feature length program includes candid and personal footage of the band during the recording and writing of the album, which is the first time it’s ever been filmed.

Says Manager Rod Smallwood, “The documentary is something quite special for the fans as it really is a very revealing portrait of how Maiden work together recording and it took me hours to persuade them to let the cameras in the recording studio. Previously they’d never allowed any of that to be filmed but this time we decided to have a camera floating around to try and capture the Maiden recording process. A lot of it was filmed by Kevin Shirley and the band themselves. I think it’s a great representation of the talent, effort and humour of a Maiden recording session. The documentary also covers what it takes to set up a major World Tour and has various interviews with our Killer Krew and hopefully it will be as insightful and interesting as the well received Early Days documentary footage.

“As usual we have crammed as much as possible into the DVD’s with a host of extras including all of the promo videos from the album, footage of the band performing in South America, background interviews with members of the production crew and fans along the tour, artwork and photo galleries. Many hours of Maiden mayhem.

“Like Rock in Rio we have again decided to release a DVD and CD. Those who have DVD players will presumably opt for the DVD but we wanted to ensure all fans could get at least the audio of this tour and many countries of the World do not have widespread capacity to play DVDs.”

The full set list from the show is:

WILDEST DREAMS
    WRATHCHILD
    CAN I PLAY WITH MADNESS
    TROOPER
    DANCE OF DEATH
    RAINMAKER
    BRAVE NEW WORLD
    PASCHENDALE
    LORD OF THE FLIES
    NO MORE LIES
    HALLOWED BE THY NAME
    FEAR OF THE DARK
    IRON MAIDEN
    JOURNEYMAN
    THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST
    RUN TO THE HILLS

The release of the DVD and Live album coincides with their headlining performance at this year’s Reading and Leeds Festivals which sold out within hours of going on sale. Reading Festival holds a special place in Maiden history. They first appeared there in 1980 as special guests to UFO and the following year a certain Bruce Dickinson was famously approached backstage for the job of vocalist before returning in 1982 for Iron Maiden's first ever headlining appearance at a festival anywhere.
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    dont wanna provoke hostility but i cant stand them. the music is inoffensive but bruce dickinson's voice whenever i see a maiden video makes me wanna kick the TV.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    dont wanna provoke hostility but i cant stand them. the music is inoffensive but bruce dickinson's voice whenever i see a maiden video makes me wanna kick the TV.

how dare you?!
    what's wrong with mr Dickinson's voice?
    I'm not gonna get hostile, just wondering. :D
    I mean, he's one of the few singers whose voice I recognize almost immediately wherther I know the song or not. AND I mostly right with my diagnose. :)

I do agree that the videos could perhaps be better.. :)
    but Bruce's great! not better than mr Vedder though. ;)
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,529
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

Hostility is fine. I asked the question of whether they were underrated or not. I expected both sides.
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    Don't think they are underrated. At least in my experience, many people who are not even so fond of metal, show some appreciation for the work of the Maiden.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    Great band! I always did like the Peace of Mind album, specifically 'The Trooper'...

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,838
    I LOL'd at the O$$fest fiasco.
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Man, I think they're overated if anything.

They're so embarrasing to look at never mind listening to. Like those dads who wear tight denim with their hairy beer bellies haning out.

Then again, I hate all poodle rock/metal. All of it.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    what in the hell is poodle metal?

power metal?
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,422
    Maiden has always been a great band....thinking-man's metal....never did anything to kill their credibility.

They always do great stage shows...and their songs are not just about girls/drinking. etc!
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    no, they are about zombies and vampires and ghosts.

I would hardly call them thinking man's metal.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    XiangXiang Posts: 73
    Hardly...Most of their lyrics are historical. Based on old war and such....
  • Options
    JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
    viggs20 wrote:
    Hmm...Iron Maiden is definitely not under-rated...maybe they are not talked about much here but they are one of the most recognised and praised metal bands of all time and why not.

I agree with that 100%
  • Options
    If anyone wants to harp on Bruce Dickenson's voice, just remember that he is a classically trained opera singer. Not too many rock and roll singers can make that claim. And as a man that is nearing his mid to late forties, I would implore everyone to check out the "Dance of Death" album from a couple years ago. The tone of his voice may have changed, but he has lost none of his range, power, or dynamics.

I was a huge Maiden fan in my early teens. In the last few years, I've been pulling out their older albums, and giving them a listen. I can say I appreciate them more now as an adult than as a teenager.

Is Iron Maiden underrated? Or are they overrated? Judging from fans, they get their due. However, most critics don't like heavy metal anyway, so they don't get any respect from them. Most radio won't play them, probably because they don't fit the format, style wise, or lyrically. They have never written a party rock song (like Judas Priest has), or a broken heart/love song (like Metallica). And they are also not poodle hairs.

Musically, all of the musicians in Maiden are amazing. As a band, they are equally as talented as Led Zeppelin, the Grateful Dead, Pearl Jam, ......... , etc. But because they play heavy metal, they are shunned.

Just as a point of comparison, Iron Maiden's first album was released in 1980, the same year U2 released "Boy". U2 is now in the rock and roll hall of fame. Iron Maiden has yet to be considered.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    If anyone wants to harp on Bruce Dickenson's voice, just remember that he is a classically trained opera singer. Not too many rock and roll singers can make that claim. And as a man that is nearing his mid to late forties, I would implore everyone to check out the "Dance of Death" album from a couple years ago. The tone of his voice may have changed, but he has lost none of his range, power, or dynamics.

well speaking as a poster who claimed not to like bruce's voice, i have to say i am not debating whether or not he has technique, i just really cannot stand his voice. many people hate axl rose's voice but i love gn'r and find axl tolerable
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    eMMI wrote:
    but Bruce's great! not better than mr Vedder though. ;)

Sorry, but Bruce could/still can sing circles around Vedder. Vedder would be a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest in that head-to-head. ANd that's not any insult to Vedder - this stands for about anyone.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    Xiang wrote:
    Hardly...Most of their lyrics are historical. Based on old war and such....

yeah, a lot of people don't realize that. they have a wide range of subjects they write about...mythology, racism, life on the road, magic, war, as you said...the music is fantastic and very well written. one of the best metal bands of all time. i've only seen them once, in '87, on the seventh son tour and they really put on a 110% show. i'd love to see them again.
  • Options
    MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Maiden has always been a great band....thinking-man's metal....never did anything to kill their credibility.

They always do great stage shows...and their songs are not just about girls/drinking. etc!

Yeah I agree w/JOEJOEJOE and xiang. They do make you think a lot and most of their lyrics, deals with history (Aces High w/the Winston churchill speech at the beginning of the song), mythology (Flight of Icraus), Literature (Rime of the Ancient Mainer, Murders in a Rue Morgue), well, listening to those songs as a child, it made me even more interested in those subjects. Hell, I majored in History and took those lit classes so I could have an understanding of the basis behind the songs. So i thank Maiden for me becoming even more of a nerd. :D

And Bruce, his voice, DAMN, his and Rob Halford's voice are one of the best out there!! :) I cannot give anymore praise to Maiden. I still think they are better than any metal band out there. I grew up w/Maiden and I really they are HIGHLY underrated as a metal band. Hell, even Bruce gave props for Pearl Jam on the 100 Greatest Hard Rock Artists of all time.
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Options
    schmoffschmoff Posts: 428
    my 200th post
    its the numer of the beast
    rockin to maiden since 86
    powerslave is incedible, and that is the worst of the 80's, before that it was pure maiden, i mean pure MAIDEN
    50+ shows and lost count somewhere along the way
  • Options
    in honor of one of the greatest metal bands of all time...

i had to make my 666th post here in this thread..."let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast..."
  • Options
    That's awesome, mookie! \m/
  • Options
    thanks fanch! ...wish i could have kept it at 666, just to appear more sinister...:D
  • Options
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    Hell, even Bruce gave props for Pearl Jam on the 100 Greatest Hard Rock Artists of all time.

Really?

What did Bruce say about Pearl Jam?
    Decipher the illusion, know the facts but retain the magic.
  • Options
    I'm not a big fan, but it's ok if someone puts an album of them in the sterio.

BUT !

I saw them live once back in '03 I think. That was amazing.. You must see their concert once in your life.. It worth the try, trust me !
    -"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
  • Options
    Bruce Dickinson is a vocal GOD
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,422
    Echoes wrote:
    no, they are about zombies and vampires and ghosts.

I would hardly call them thinking man's metal.

Many of their songs are about history as well.
  • Options
    i have to admit, i do chuckle a bit when I hear the Maiden lyrics about martyrs, goblets, prophets, dragons, and blood pouring red from the sky. shit like that.