Options

Songs you have heard at a bar............

Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
edited December 2005 in Other Music
that you wouldnt expect to hear. My band i planning on doing the song, Lateralus, by Tool. Clocking in at nearly 10 minutes, it isn't your normal thing to hear at a bar. What does everyone think of songs like that at a bar. Do you think its too much for a bar, or do you think it would be worth it, to see the reaction of the people that like the song. Also, what are some oddiies that you have heard at a bar?

A bar I used to work at had a guy come in with just an acoustic guitar. He played some really "bad" songs, but then all of the sudden, he broke into Present Tense. He played some chords during the verse as opposed to the single note picking and it sounded pretty good
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    When I slide into a bar and there is a live band, I appreciate the fact that they will throw a monkey-wrench into the familiour sing alongs and top 40 from the 70's and 80's. That is of course if you are covering all night. Go ahead and toss a few songs like what you are planning to do and see how they go over. Even if one drunk in the whole place recognizes the tune and gives you the WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO at the end of it. You probably made that persons life a little better for those ten minutes. Who cares if everybody else is just staring at you. All the bar can do is tell you to shut it down and pay you in the drinks they owe you. ;)
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    IMMORTALITY ( Acoustic)

PRIMO
  • Options
    thatgirlthatgirl Posts: 3,671
    crackerman is always great to hear a band play!!!!

also, sober is cool too
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    I don't think a song like Lateralus would work at a bar -and I love that album- but just think that people goes there to distract themselves, talk, have fun, and that kind of song just demmands your attention and not everyone is ready for that, I bet half of the song they'll turn their heads to the band wondering "wtf are these guys playing, can't they stop it now?"
    I guess the only song longer than 6 minutes people bares at a bar is Stairway to Heaven, but I wouldn't recommend to play a song like Lateralus unless the bar is called Aenima.
    Just my two cents
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    You know i guess it really depends on the draw of the bar. You know like who is hanging out there. If it is a crowd that would like tool (not just know sober and like that song) then yeah it would go over great. If it is a typical college bar or something... maybe not so much.

I used to go to this bar on Tuesday nights and they had a few bands playing. One time this band played Cortez the Killer and it was so awesome. I love that song and they just busted it out. Great stuff

On another side note my friends band does 90's covers and they do killing in the name by rage and it always goes over well.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    You know i guess it really depends on the draw of the bar. You know like who is hanging out there. If it is a crowd that would like tool (not just know sober and like that song) then yeah it would go over great. If it is a typical college bar or something... maybe not so much.

I used to go to this bar on Tuesday nights and they had a few bands playing. One time this band played Cortez the Killer and it was so awesome. I love that song and they just busted it out. Great stuff

On another side note my friends band does 90's covers and they do killing in the name by rage and it always goes over well.

We do Killing In the Name and it always gets a good reaction. In the Meantime by Spacehog really surprised me. We do a few Tool song and they seem to go over well. Sober and Stinkfist people really enjoy, and Eulogy, when we nail there is really nothin better. I am sure there will be some positive reaction to playing Lateralus. Some of our friends think its over our head, as a band, and they really love Tool, so we are learning it for our pre xmas gig. Thanks for the feedback and if anybody knows any southern Illinoisans, have them check us out, and everybody check out the band's myspace.

myspace.com/eudaemonic