Options

Fugazi

pearl jam rulespearl jam rules Posts: 129
edited December 2005 in Other Music
i know they get a lot of love on this board, and rightfully so

i was just wondering.......what would be the best album to start with if you're new to the band and what do you think is their best album?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options

i was just wondering.......what would be the best album to start with if you're new to the band and what do you think is their best album?

well, the soundtrack/album to their movie is pretty good (Me thinks its called Instrument)

many will say repeater is their best, but I like Fugazi and Margin Walker....2 albums which can be bought on 1 CD called '13 songs'

Really though, I have all their stuff and love each album for its own reson. Also, their are a lot of unnoficial 'live' albums out their (bootlegs). They are a pretty good buy. Amazing band live...perhaps the best I have ever seen live (toss up between them and PJ)
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • Options
    oh yeah, and if you go with repeater make sure it is "repeater + 3 songs"...which is likely what you will more easily find than "repeater" itself

(Because I know)
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • Options
    For the very first definitely Repeater +3 Songs. That's their undisputed classic/masterpiece

Next I would say either In On The Kill Taker or The Argument.

My favorite record of theirs is Red Medicine.

Stay away from End Hits! and Steady Diet Of Nothing. Those are kind of sub par.
  • Options
    (this is a bit off the subject, i'm sorry but i lurvvvv this band. a fifteen year old introduced to them to me when asking me to come to one of his shows . . . i was like, what?! seriously, then i was like, oh, my god, you kids are so freakin fantastic!)

the one with waiting room on it is where he said to start.

you can down load the song for free, they are so cool!!

http://www.emp3world.com/mp3/59038/Fugazi/Waiting%20Room

i don't know about the downloading and stuff, the kids do, but it says it's legal and free, you can get the albums there too.
  • Options
    i think i'm just going to get 13 songs. seems like a good place to start......the beginning
  • Options
    all of them!!!
  • Options
    For the very first definitely Repeater +3 Songs. That's their undisputed classic/masterpiece

Next I would say either In On The Kill Taker or The Argument.

My favorite record of theirs is Red Medicine.

Stay away from End Hits! and Steady Diet Of Nothing. Those are kind of sub par.

end hits is my favorite fugazi album.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    i think i'm just going to get 13 songs. seems like a good place to start......the beginning

That's exactly what you should do. Great record.
    The car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
    And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
  • Options
    viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    I've just started listening to Fugazi...they are alright. I'm not digging it much but I guess its too early to make a call.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • Options
    end hits is my favorite fugazi album.

It's my least favorite.
  • Options
    pearlmutt wrote:
    (this is a bit off the subject, i'm sorry but i lurvvvv this band. a fifteen year old introduced to them to me when asking me to come to one of his shows . . . i was like, what?! seriously, then i was like, oh, my god, you kids are so freakin fantastic!)

the one with waiting room on it is where he said to start.

you can down load the song for free, they are so cool!!

http://www.emp3world.com/mp3/59038/Fugazi/Waiting%20Room

i don't know about the downloading and stuff, the kids do, but it says it's legal and free, you can get the albums there too.

perhaps that is why I like the ones I mentioned. Waiting room is a freaking amazing song.

(Because I know)
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • Options
    i was actually just out at best buy and almost bought some fugazi, but thought i'd come here and ask the same question the original poster did... great minds think alike i guess?
  • Options
    schmoffschmoff Posts: 428
    13 songs
    "this is not a fugazi post"
    50+ shows and lost count somewhere along the way
  • Options
    yes, repeater +3 is a great place to start, its definitely considered a fugazi classic.

for the guy who said that end hits was his fave fugazi cd- more power to you man! that cd is anything BUT "subpar". its probably the best fugazi cd and im glad to see someone thinking for themself and not listening to the negative hype, instead of just buying 13 songs or something (which is good but so overrated)
    i pledge no allegiance
  • Options
    Well honestly I would put 13 songs in the sub par list as well. Guy wasn't even playing when those eps were made. Some of those songs are great but they didn't really come into their own until Repeater.
  • Options
    schmoff wrote:
    13 songs

errrmmm, yes...."13 songs" is a single disk combination of "fugazi" (their 1st cd) and "Margin Wlaker". It came out a few years ago

(Because I know)
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • Options
    k, you must understand that Fugazi played together for may years, and that they sang most of the songs off their first few albums frequently. They actually did not desire to record a cd. Their manager eventually convinced them to. So, as far as their music coming together on repeater....I am pretty sure it was mostly pre-existing Fugazi music.

(Because I know)
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • Options
    Well considering they were self managed I don't see how some "manager" convinced them to record. And each member has said things came together for them on Repeater. It just wasn't until Red Medicine that they felt comfortable in the recording studio.
  • Options
    i was actually just out at best buy and almost bought some fugazi, but thought i'd come here and ask the same question the original poster did... great minds think alike i guess?

Keep the Best Buy shopping for the Hillary Duff and Good Charlotte fans of the world...you should be buying Fugazi albums from your local independent record shop! Support the mom and pop shops!!! They actually care about the music they sell.
  • Options
    Keep the Best Buy shopping for the Hillary Duff and Good Charlotte fans of the world...you should be buying Fugazi albums from your local independent record shop! Support the mom and pop shops!!! They actually care about the music they sell.

WACK JOB! Go buy the CD's from where they are the cheapest for you...the Mom and Pop shops practically gang rape you on the price of CD's...please...

FUGAZI SUCKS!!!
    He is alive but feels absolutely nothing.
    So is he?
    When he was six he believed that the moon overhead followed him.
    By nine he had deciphered the illusion trading magic for fact.
    No tradebacks...
    So this is what it's like to be an adult
    If he only knew now what he knew then...
  • Options
    WACK JOB! Go buy the CD's from where they are the cheapest for you...the Mom and Pop shops practically gang rape you on the price of CD's...please...

FUGAZI SUCKS!!!
    easy street records is a local indie record store, and their prices are usually and consistantly better then best buy. I can't remember the last time i paid over 15 bucks for a CD.

also the selection at easy street is about 50 million times better then any best buy or mega chain store's
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    it depends on the indie store. a lot of times best buy has better prices. i'm all for supporting the local indie stores though
  • Options

repeater's my favorite
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    schmoffschmoff Posts: 428
    was a reference to shirts and pins and stuff that fugazi put out
    they sell shirts that say "this is not a fugazi shirt" "this is not a fugazi pin"
    it's like a joke get it?
    50+ shows and lost count somewhere along the way
  • Options

well the thing is, i was already AT best buy... plus the local record shop, while it does have some good stuff i can't find elsewhere, doesn't have all that great of a selection either, so i'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. i generally just buy my cds from wherever i am at the time.