Options

Audioslave - Chris Cornell's feelings

yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
edited December 2005 in Other Music
So I was listening to Audioslave today, and I was just wondering how Chris feels from playing with an awesome drummer, Matt Cameron, in Soundgarden, to Brad Wilk, who in my opinion sucks at drums. Just a thought.
you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    why does wilk suck?
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    well in my opinion, brad wilk is a really good drummer, so i dont know.
    -one thing to remember, always have a good time, all the time
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    He's fucking awful. Meg White -bad

"Boom boom tik" Is all you ever hear from him.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    shahril wrote:
    why does wilk suck?

If he sucks, it shouldn't Wilt. Oh... Wilk, not wilt.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    He's fucking awful. Meg White -bad

"Boom boom tik" Is all you ever hear from him.

meg whites drumming is perfect for the white stripes.
    -one thing to remember, always have a good time, all the time
  • Options
    Well he chose to be in a band with him so I guess he likes his drumming. Personally I'm not crazy about his playing either but oh well. All of those guys were better in their old bands.
  • Options
    BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    His drumming suits the band. Have you ever heard him outside the band, playing other pieces he's written or pieces from other artists? If not then you have no basis for judgement. A good musician serves the song not their own ego.

PEACE
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Options
    wow,i guess i was way off then...i thought brad wilk was a very good drummer.
  • Options
    pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    I've always thought his drumming suited the music perfectly.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    So I was listening to Audioslave today, and I was just wondering how Chris feels from playing with an awesome drummer, Matt Cameron, in Soundgarden, to Brad Wilk, who in my opinion sucks at drums. Just a thought.

wow, Brad Wilk kick ass, not in Audioslave though, that i agree, but if you listen to Rage, i don't know if Matt as ever played as good as Brad...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    I have listened to Rage, and have heard Wilk's drumming there, and I think that it too is very simplistic. Not surprisingly because for a large part it is the same style music (not vocals obviously). And you are right, I can't say what he is capable of doing outside these two bands, but I think that he isn't a good drummer, because I find his drumming incredibly simplistic, for music that isn't always. I find that if he were a more interesting(/talented ?) drummer, the music would sound much better. Also, its possible that Cornell didn't choose to play with him, just the other guys were comfortable continuing with him, and Cornell just didn't get any say.
  • Options
    wilk isn't horrible but he's not great. he keeps things simple, which i respect, but a lot of times i wish he'd do something a little more interesting to add to the songs. and i don't always agree with what cymbals he uses or where/when he decides to ride on his crash cymbal. i guess those are minor complaints. he doesn't really detract anything from the music so i can't say that he sucks
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    The drums and the bass just lay down the beat. It's the guitars that are the music!
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    wow, Brad Wilk kick ass, not in Audioslave though, that i agree, but if you listen to Rage, i don't know if Matt as ever played as good as Brad...

Gotta agree there although I dont know if Id say Cameron loses to Wilk so easily. One song..."Jesus Christ Pose"
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    LedZepFan wrote:
    Gotta agree there although I dont know if Id say Cameron loses to Wilk so easily. One song..."Jesus Christ Pose"

JCP is sick. Drums are so effing tight. I'd say Matt kicks Wilk's ass any day of the week.
  • Options
    ucsbucsb Posts: 58
    yosi wrote:

Yeah I think he sucks too.....but for rage i thought he was perfect.....they just needed someone who could bash the shit out of stuff...and let the music sound "big"....and it totally worked...I think Matt's stuff was better with soundgarden..it was very unique...his playing with pearljam just doesnt really do it for me......live he is really good though!
  • Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    The drums and the bass just lay down the beat. It's the guitars that are the music!

oh no......listen to Vs... and Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

those are 2 of my fav drummers
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    yeah, matt's way better. i think brad made a more valiant effort on the 2nd audioslave album... which is to say... he made an effort.

he was better with rage too.
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    yosi wrote:
    to Brad Wilk, who in my opinion sucks at drums.
    :eek: WHAT THE DEVIL????!!!! :eek:
    BRAD IS FREAKIN' BADDA$$......HE'S THE ONLY REASON I LIKE AUDIOSLAVE!!!!
    OH BUT YOU DID SAY IT WAS YOUR "OPINION"......:D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    Well Chris started off a drummer so he must know if Brad is any good surely!! I like his drumming, it's perfect for Audioslave's music.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    Jesus Christ, if what you care about are crazy fills and difficult beats and time signatures you really shouldn't be listening to rock and roll. That's not what makes a drummer "good" anyway.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • Options
    BUENABUENA Posts: 165

I have nothing against meg. Ever drummer is at a different skill level. Meg's sloppy barely in time playing works for what jack does.
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • Options
    just like Wilk is perfect for RATM and audioslave.

Cameron is amazing.. but that's no reason to say the other 2 are bad.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    I have listened to Rage, and have heard Wilk's drumming there, and I think that it too is very simplistic. Not surprisingly because for a large part it is the same style music (not vocals obviously). And you are right, I can't say what he is capable of doing outside these two bands, but I think that he isn't a good drummer, because I find his drumming incredibly simplistic, for music that isn't always. I find that if he were a more interesting(/talented ?) drummer, the music would sound much better. Also, its possible that Cornell didn't choose to play with him, just the other guys were comfortable continuing with him, and Cornell just didn't get any say.

I think Brad Wilk has an awesome funky powerfull style and i thank him for keeping it simple, to me he is further proof that most of the time simple is best. Plus he connects really well with the bass and together they make an awesome rythim section that's funky and powerful.
  • Options
    hailhail82 wrote:
    Jesus Christ, if what you care about are crazy fills and difficult beats and time signatures you really shouldn't be listening to rock and roll. That's not what makes a drummer "good" anyway.

First of all, I never said that all I care about was 'crazy fills and difficult beats and time signatures'. I just said I find Wilk over simplistic, and wish he would do more. Second, what pray tell makes a good drummer? I have been playing the drums for close to ten years, and I have heard some good drumming that is not all about crazy time signatures and fills, that is still good. One example, in my opinion is Eric Kretz of Stone Temple Pilots. That is what I call not flashy drumming but still good. And who the hell are you to tell me what kind of music I should be listening too?