New Broken Social Scene

burnin-candleburnin-candle Posts: 158
edited October 2005 in Other Music
is amazingly beautiful and fucking sweet. :)

Discuss if you have it. Get it if you know who they are.

Cheers.
"If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    it is noisy for certain.

Have you heard the To Be You and Me EP that came with it?
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Echoes wrote:
    it is noisy for certain.

yeah it is damn noisy, but they have a talent of putting beauty into all that noise clashing.

I haven't gone through the EP in full yet. I'll try tonight. I don't like the packaging though, the EP is so hard to get out!

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    hahah It is alright, a few neat moments, but sure isn't as good as the full-length
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I hope to pick it up real soon.
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Picked it up, I've listened to it a couple of times and it seems good. I need some more listens, but I also got two other albums so I'm splitting the time. haven't even put the EP in yet.
  • Echoes wrote:
    hahah It is alright, a few neat moments, but sure isn't as good as the full-length

listened to the EP, Echoes. It doesn't really flow very well, I guess it's not intended to, but the fast version of Major Label Debut is awesome, especially since I've heard it live, and the other rocker (track 3?) is good also. The Feel Good Lost reprise was nice, I like it when they quieten down and go a bit electronica. Still, the LP is just amazing. ;)

Apparently they took off all the catchy songs and sorta went "anti-mainstream" if you know what I mean. I respect that. I don't want this band getting too hyped out or over promoted. Dave Newfeld said "It's a matter of are you going to be a brand, or are you going to be a band." Sums it up well. :)

Really liking this album the more I listen to it. I actually never got into any of their previous albums that much, but this one is great. It's been a long while since I listened to You Forgot It In People, but it just seems like this album flows better throughout. Most of the songs remind me of my favorites from YFIIP like "Shampoo Suicide" and "Almost Crimes."
  • only gave it one run-through so far but i definitely think i'll like it a lot. it really reminds me a lot more of 'you forgot it in people' than 'feel good lost'. i was expecting more of a balance between those two albums but i'm still pleasently surprised.
    Anti Zionism is not Anti Semitism

Most antizionists are antisemites
  • nippleholicnippleholic Toronto Posts: 1,083
    Apparently they took off all the catchy songs and sorta went "anti-mainstream" if you know what I mean. I respect that. I don't want this band getting too hyped out or over promoted. Dave Newfeld said "It's a matter of are you going to be a brand, or are you going to be a band." Sums it up well. :)

not to be nit-picky, but I think it was Brendan Canning who said that...

comes out in Canada tomorrow!
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Fort Worth (x2), Austin (x2)

• not to be nit-picky, but I think it was Brendan Canning who said that...

comes out in Canada tomorrow!

oops got it wrong, sorry. ;)

The point is that that is a fucking A quote.

oops got it wrong, sorry. ;)

The point is that that is a fucking A quote.

agreed...here's the original article just for shits and giggles...

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1505808/20050715/broken_social_scene.jhtml?headlines=true
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto

Great album, I finally listened to the EP and I agree, they could have made the LP much stronger if they had wanted to. The inclusion of the EP just seems to prove that they KNEW they had more really good songs, for whatever reason they didn't want to add them to the LP. I just want to hear someone justifying NOT putting "Canada vs American" on the LP.

Still, one of my favorite albums of the year and it has been a pretty good year.
  • agreed...here's the original article just for shits and giggles...

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1505808/20050715/broken_social_scene.jhtml?headlines=true

how ironic is it that this is an mtv article and they would be the ones shamelessly promoting one of their catchy singles.

great album no doubt.
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
    did anyone pick up the vinyl version of the new album? more specifically, did it come with the EP?

• Dope album, tracks '7 4 Shoreline, bandwidth and its all gonna break' are deadly.

Caught their show at Capital Music Hall on Thursday..if you dig the album,,you gotta check em out live....awesome show!!!!!

B
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BinOttawa/featured
    Sometimes I see a strange spot in the sky, a human being that was Given To Fly
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,742

well you can look aat it that way, or you can look at it as an indie rock band left off catchy/ accessible songs so indie fans wouldnt think they "sold out".
    As my one of my music business teacher says "the minute you start worrying about what your fans might think about your music is when you turn from an artist into a pruduct."
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    Echoes wrote:
    it is noisy for certain.

20 people in the Broken Social Scene collective. A lot of people fighting for space. I love the expermental nature of the whole album. Excellent album. One of the few good Canadian bands releasing music today.
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • saw BSS in Ottawa the other night for the third time this year. best show so far. (some of the better shows i've seen have been in Ottawa; like PJ last month). played a few tracks off the new record like superconnected, fire eyed boy.

i'm really digging the new record, pretty much all i've listened to for the last 2 weeks. i thought the band would not live up to the expectations after YFIIP, but it is only solid record. "it's all gonna break" is my favourite BSS tune to date

can't wait for the extended "family" tour in january.
    Have you ideas on how this life ends?

Toronto 10-05-2000 / Toronto 06-28-2003 / Kitchener 09-11-2005 / Hamilton 09-13-2005 / Ottawa 09-16-2005 / Toronto 09-19-2005 / Toronto 05-09-2006 / Toronto 05-10-2006 / Toronto 08-21-2009 / Montreal 09-07-2011 / Toronto 09-11-2011 / Toronto 09-12-2011 / Ottawa 09-14-2011 / London 07/16/2013 / Ottawa 05-08-2016 / Toronto 05-12-2016
  • well you can look aat it that way, or you can look at it as an indie rock band left off catchy/ accessible songs so indie fans wouldnt think they "sold out".
    As my one of my music business teacher says "the minute you start worrying about what your fans might think about your music is when you turn from an artist into a pruduct."

Good point. I guess I can take it either way. I just don't want to see them overhyped and stuff, especially over here. I tell ya, it's sad when you see great indie bands just get swollen up with promotion and shit. Hardly anyone here understands the music anyway. lol But what I really want to say is......

This album is just great. After listening to it everyday for the past few weeks, I've loved it even more. Definitely in my top 3 for the year. Great to see lots of people post here, too! ;)

• saw BSS in Ottawa the other night for the third time this year. best show so far. (some of the better shows i've seen have been in Ottawa; like PJ last month). played a few tracks off the new record like superconnected, fire eyed boy.

i'm really digging the new record, pretty much all i've listened to for the last 2 weeks. i thought the band would not live up to the expectations after YFIIP, but it is only solid record. "it's all gonna break" is my favourite BSS tune to date

can't wait for the extended "family" tour in january.

Man I saw them this year at a small venue here and it was just a wonderful moment. Awesome vibes all through out. I'm so envious of you, since you are in Toronto, BSS hometown!! It must be extra special seeing them in their hometown. My dream is to actually do that!

• barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    I got this album a few weeks ago and loved it (much, much more than You Forgot It...), but this week I just saw the limited edition with the EP, so those of you that already have this version, please tell me if it's worth to buy the album again just to get the EP, I need to make my mind out today, because the guys at the store reserved the album for me, but only until today... so, should I re-buy the album just to get the EP? What kind of sound is there to it? Similar to this album, more like You Forgot It or somehting completely different?
    Thanks.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
    barcoach wrote:
    I got this album a few weeks ago and loved it (much, much more than You Forgot It...), but this week I just saw the limited edition with the EP, so those of you that already have this version, please tell me if it's worth to buy the album again just to get the EP, I need to make my mind out today, because the guys at the store reserved the album for me, but only until today... so, should I re-buy the album just to get the EP? What kind of sound is there to it? Similar to this album, more like You Forgot It or somehting completely different?
    Thanks.
    hmmm...I would glady pay an extra $5 for the version with the EP, but rebuying it(probably about $15?) just for the EP....that's a tough one.

The EP is GREAT. There is an alternate(faster) version of Major Label Debut that is brilliant. Also the song "Canada vs America" should definitely have made the album. I really enjoy the EP, but you would be paying $15 just for those 7 songs....if you are a big fan of the LP, it's probably worth it.

Can you find a friend to pawn the LP off on to cut your losses?
    CM1847 wrote:
    hmmm...I would glady pay an extra $5 for the version with the EP, but rebuying it(probably about $15?) just for the EP....that's a tough one.

The EP is GREAT. There is an alternate(faster) version of Major Label Debut that is brilliant. Also the song "Canada vs America" should definitely have made the album. I really enjoy the EP, but you would be paying $15 just for those 7 songs....if you are a big fan of the LP, it's probably worth it.

Can you find a friend to pawn the LP off on to cut your losses?

It's more like $22, I live in Mexico, so you can only get it as an import... Not any friend I know has the record to get me files ...But I'm open to do new friends, so if someone would be so kind to hook me with some good quality mp3's, that'll be reeeeeaaaally nice (I can send something in return).
    I'm a big fan of the album, but from what I read in amazon, the EP is kinda different, anyway I was looking for a trusty opinion from my good pals at this board...
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

• barcoach wrote:
    It's more like $22, I live in Mexico, so you can only get it as an import... Not any friend I know has the record to get me files ...But I'm open to do new friends, so if someone would be so kind to hook me with some good quality mp3's, that'll be reeeeeaaaally nice (I can send something in return).
    I'm a big fan of the album, but from what I read in amazon, the EP is kinda different, anyway I was looking for a trusty opinion from my good pals at this board...

The EP has some outtakes on it that are like the stuff on Beehives. Spaced out electro post rockish stuff. But there are some great tunes on it. Different from the main album, but still BSS, if you know what I mean.

I'm not good at sharing files, but I'm sure someone can help you out. The SMC is always a good place to start, and I'm sure a lot of us have the EP.

The EP has some outtakes on it that are like the stuff on Beehives. Spaced out electro post rockish stuff. But there are some great tunes on it. Different from the main album, but still BSS, if you know what I mean.

I'm not good at sharing files, but I'm sure someone can help you out. The SMC is always a good place to start, and I'm sure a lot of us have the EP.

Thanks burnin', yeah, I know most people here are kind when sharing music... Thing is I don't have any fuckin' patience, so I went down to the fuckin' record store and paid for it... Is times like this when I feel really good about being single... Haven't listened to the EP yet, 'cause I also got hooked with some DVD's while at the store... This damn vice!!!
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

• i've been hooked on this album since it came out. i cant wait to see them live in ny in jan. it will def be a great time. hope they will play some older stuff too.
  • i've been hooked on this album since it came out. i cant wait to see them live in ny in jan. it will def be a great time. hope they will play some older stuff too.

where/ what date in NY?
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • i bought it a few weeks ago , and it is amazing, i love
    Ibi Dreams of Pavement
    7/4 shoreline
    Fire-eyed boy
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • what a terribly, seemingly intentionally, boring record. Havent heard the EP though.
    "Many of Pearl Jam's most loyal fans are teenagers who do not have the money to pay the $50 or more that is often charged today for tickets to a popular concert...we have made a conscious decision that we do not want to put the price of our concerts out of the reach of many of our fans." 6/94
    where/ what date in NY?

Jan 27/28 @ Webster Hall...I'll be going down from Toronto for those shows...gonna be awesome!