Richard Hell And The Voidoids

bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
edited February 2008 in Other Music
Who's heard of this artist?
11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    I've heard of him, haven't listened to anything...New York, late 70's/early 80's right?
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
  • Blank Generation is without a doubt one of the best punk records of all time.
    The car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
    And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
  • Matt Lukin wrote:
    Blank Generation is without a doubt one of the best punk records of all time.

With great guitar work from Robert Quine.
  • Matt Lukin wrote:
    Blank Generation is without a doubt one of the best punk records of all time.

Damn Straight
  • heard of, never listened to. any good?
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Richard Hell was Richard Meyers when he met Tom Miller at what Hell calls a "glorified reform school , a country club reform school " in Delaware. Meyers left for NYC to be writer in '67. He maintained a correspondence with Miller , who was in college. Miller later went to NYC and hooked up with Meyers. Miller changed his name to Tom Verlaine and Meyers to Richard Hell. They played as twin guitars , with a guy called Douglas Colvin ( aka Dee Dee Ramone later on) on bass in "The Neon Boys" .Didn't work out. Long story short , eventually they hooked up with Billy Ficca (drums) and Richard Lloyd ( guitar) , Hell played bass, and became a band called...Television.

Blank Generation actually came about during Hell's stint with The Heartbreakers ( can you say Junkies r us...Hell, Johnny Thunders, Jerry Nolan for example) , written by Hell, and Hell took it with him to The Voidoids. No doubt , Robert Quine plays killer ,killer guitar. The Blank Generation EP came out in 1976 and the Voidoids only LP , Blank Generation, with BG and " Love Comes in Spurts" in 1977. I believe Richard Hell and the Voidoids dated from 1975 or 6 to 1979, about 40 months in all.

I saw Television and Richard Hell and the Voidoids several times each, CBGB, Max's Kansas City, and Bottom Line ...always a great show.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • nutmeg81nutmeg81 Posts: 627
    Blind3 wrote:
    Richard Hell was Richard Meyers when he met Tom Miller at what Hell calls a "glorified reform school , a country club reform school " in Delaware. Meyers left for NYC to be writer in '67. He maintained a correspondence with Miller , who was in college. Miller later went to NYC and hooked up with Meyers. Miller changed his name to Tom Verlaine and Meyers to Richard Hell. They played as twin guitars , with a guy called Douglas Colvin ( aka Dee Dee Ramone later on) on bass in "The Neon Boys" .Didn't work out. Long story short , eventually they hooked up with Billy Ficca (drums) and Richard Lloyd ( guitar) , Hell played bass, and became a band called...Television.

Blank Generation actually came about during Hell's stint with The Heartbreakers ( can you say Junkies r us...Hell, Johnny Thunders, Jerry Nolan for example) , written by Hell, and Hell took it with him to The Voidoids. No doubt , Robert Quine plays killer ,killer guitar. The Blank Generation EP came out in 1976 and the Voidoids only LP , Blank Generation, with BG and " Love Comes in Spurts" in 1977. I believe Richard Hell and the Voidoids dated from 1975 or 6 to 1979, about 40 months in all.

I saw Television and Richard Hell and the Voidoids several times each, CBGB, Max's Kansas City, and Bottom Line ...always a great show.

u old!!!

didnt Hell leave Television b4 Marquee Moon came out?
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
  • mark armmark arm Posts: 962
    love them
    11/25/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/26/05 - Buenos Aires
    11/28/05 - Porto Alegre, BR
    06/01/07 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/16/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/17/08 - Sao Paulo, BR
    10/19/08 - Buenos Aires
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    edited May 2016
    I had posted some videos, but it seems I wasn't supposed to so they've all been taken down :(
    Post edited by Suziemay on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I'd heard of Hell and the Voidoids but somehow just hadn't heard much of their music. Then after reading Marky Ramone's very cool book, Punk Rock Blitzkrieg and realizing Marky played with Hell and company under his given name, Marc Bell, I had to check out Blank Generation. Very cool! Glad I spring for the red vinyl reissue! And yes, fine work from the late great Robert Quine.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    edited April 2017
    Last fall i was taking the Metro north train back to the city from Hudson, NY and was reading Hell's memoir "I Dreamed I Was a Very Clean Tramp" and who happens to sit down across the aisle from my GF and I but Mr. Hell and his wife. I was a little embarrassed to be reading his life story with him sitting down right next to me. He was very cool and we chatted for awhile though. Needless to say I'm a big fan.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

Last fall i was taking the Metro north train back to the city from Hudson, NY and was reading Hell's memoir "I Dreamed I Was a Very Clean Tramp" and who happens to sit down across the aisle from my GF and I but Mr. Hell and his wife. I was a little embarrassed to be reading his life story with him sitting down right next to me. He was very cool and we chatted for awhile though. Needless to say I'm a big fan.

Oh man, fantastic! What a fine coincidence! Didn't know about his memoir. I will definitely check that out!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.