Marilyn Manson Appreciation Thread

darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
edited July 2008 in Other Music
Over the past year or so the shock rocker of the 90's and 00's has become one of my all time fav. artists, making my top 10. What got me hooked to his music? His masterpiece, "Antichrist Superstar." Songs like "Tourniquet," "Mister Superstar," and "The Reflecting God," managed to impress me by a long shot, with the many other great songs off of that album. The man proved even more of a genius when I learned that "Mechanical Animals" and "Holy Wood" served as prequels to "Antichrist Superstar," which all told a story starting with "Holy Wood." Whether you like his music or not, I think people should give him credit for being able to draw large audiences and keep up with the times by constantly changing his sound and even making "dance rock" songs like "Tainted Love" (which I enjoy by the way).

So now it's time to discuss!!! What are some of your fav. Manson albums/songs? And has anyone seen him live?
"Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Marilyn Manson is a poser. Who's music sucks.
  • deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    i really enjoy manson's music as well. i can't wait to hear the next release, as i felt the last one was a little flat. and twiggy's back, so hopefully that will help make things a little better. regardless, manson's live show is an awesome thing to behold. it's pure entertainment through and through. i do not have an extensive knowledge of the music, but i have heard that the 3 records (AS, MA, HW) are all related, but i've never really known how. i'm off to find out....
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    antichrist superstar and mechanical animals are amazing albums

my fav manson song is tourniquet
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Personally, I thought "Eat Me, Drink Me" was a really solid album. Not his best, but nonetheless way better than the bullshit out there today like Three Days Grace and Nickelback. Really enjoyed the songs "Putting Holes in Happiness," "Just a Car Crash Away," "Evidence," and "If I Was Your Vampire," from the new album.

As far as the next album is concerned, Manson has said it's gonna be really angry, so I'm excited :D

For now, my ranking of his albums are as follows...

1. Antichrist Superstar
    2. Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death)
    3. Mechanical Animals
    4. Eat Me, Drink Me
    5. The Golden Age of Grotesque
    6. Portrait of an American Family

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • thecorythecory Posts: 290
    beautiful people would be my wwf intro music. and, as soon as i pin my opponent it would go right to the part of the song that i can't describe... maybe it's the bridge? idk. its kind of like a shrieking and it leads back into the "hey you whaddya say" part. that would be awesome. think about it.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Antichrist, Mechanical Animals and Holywood are awesome other songs from his catalogue I find hit and miss.
    Mechanical Animals is my favourite album, got to see him on that tour as well.

Long Hard Road Out of Hell probs my favourite Manson song.
    Sweet Dreams(Eurythmics)
    Golden Years(Bowie) some awesome covers.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Anything after Mechanical Animals blows...
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    seen him during ACS and MA tours....really great shows

Holywood to me was like Metallicas "Black" album ......beginning of the 'meh'.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    saw him this year here. got to see irresponsible hate anthem. insane.

incredible show. liked manson since beautiful people. his screeching voice is a thing of beauty.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Mechanical Animals is fantastic. I haven't liked much since, there are certainly some great songs on each however nothing has come close to MA.

I have seen him 4 or 5 times however each time was on the Portrait tour opening for various artists (NIN, Danzig).

I think he is talented fellow.
  • AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,107
    Really loved the first album. Didn't really follow him after Antichrist. I saw him open for NIN back in like 1994 I think? He didn't really have that whole look he has now, but the music was killer.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • haven't liked much since Holywood, but he is insanely good live.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    the live show sold me on Manson saw him here at the end of last year and was blown away by his live show

him and Rob Zombie put on spectacles when it comes to live shows

Fight Song rocks!!!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i liked him in highschool and followed his music until Holy Wood. after that i felt his music took a huge nosedive.

favorite songs:
    Sweet Tooth
    Dope Hat
    Wrapped In Plastic
    Snake Eyes And Sissies
    Misery Machine
    Mister Superstar
    Kinderfeld
    Touriequet
    Wormboy
    Great Big White World
    Coma White
    Coma Black
    Disassociative
    Mechanical Animals
    Last Day on Earth
    Born Again
    Count To Six and Die
    Target Audience
    I Put A Spell On You
    Lamb of God
    Cruci-Fiction In Space
    In The Shadow Of The Valley of Death
    Down In The Park
    Golden Years
    Five To One
    Suicide Is Painless
  • Holywood to me was like Metallicas "Black" album ......beginning of the 'meh'.

haha! that's the best comparison i've ever read! :D
    transplant wrote:
    I think he is talented fellow.
    haven't liked much since Holywood, but he is insanely good live.

He is talented (and also a very intelligent man) but I feel he sold out to sell records and it was the beginning of the end. Portrait, Smells like children, Antichrist and Mechanical Animals are good albums, written well and the material was excellent live. His shows were always something to look forward to (I've seen him 5 times) but the last time I went was awful. As usual, it was the old favourites like My Monkey, 1996 and Lunchbox that stood out... the rest of the time I was just bored.
    I would go and see him again if he went back to the old Marilyn, singing songs like Wormboy, walking over the audience on ridiculous crutches and wearing nothing but ripped pantyhose, big boots and a bit o' make up... fuck the super gleaming 'Hollywood-Dita's Husband' Marilyn, it's just not raw enough for me.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
    i still think Holy Wood is his best record, a tad long but very very solid. i remember hearing that mObscene single and thinking automatically of Faith No More's Be Agressive. i burned Golden Age from a guy back when it first came out and the only song i liked was the title track. that cover of Taited Love was pretty bad too. his music as declined so much so that even when i go back and listen to some of those songs on Antichrist Superstar i can't help but say to myself, "shut up dude". Portrait is a classic IMO. Daisy's guitar work on that and the few tracks he played on Antichrist made the band for me back then. Mechanical Animals was very glamy and very different from the darkness of Antichrist that only years later did i realize just how solid that record is.

he still playes "1996"? i haven't heard that song in YEARS. i use to really like it but that was when i was 17. i need to revisit some songs soon i think.
    "1996" is a really killer song, love the writing style he utilizes!!!

Always thought the "Tourniquet" video was really badass, and love the "Coma White" video!!

By the way, I'd like to add that I think Tim Skold is one of the best guitarists he's recorded with/played with. I'm glad Twiggy's back, but damn I'm gonna miss Tim Skold.

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    does he really do the fucked up shit i hear at his live shows, or is that 100% rumors?
  • does he really do the fucked up shit i hear at his live shows, or is that 100% rumors?

Depends on what you're talking about

What he DOES DO:

- tears up bibles
    - beats up his bandmates
    - cuts himself

What he DOESN'T DO

- give himself blow jobs
    - kill animals
    - [insert whatever other sick things christian groups dream up in their sick little minds HERE] (irony huh?)
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • jasonwjasonw Posts: 389
    I think Holywood is byfar his best album.......i feel that his music has gotten drastically worse since then. The Last Tour on Earth is a good live album too
    I actually just downloaded a two disc set called "White Trash" which supposively has rarities and some live tracks from Portrait. Anyone else have this? I just got it and haven't listened to it yet.

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Mechanical Animals and The Last Show on Earth are my favs.

Mechanical Animals you can put on and walk away from the stereo and not have to skip any tracks because the whole thing is so good. :)

And the Coma White version on disc two of The Last Show on Earth is just amazing. :)

I've seen him twice now and he's never disappointed, it's always a fantastic show.

As to weird and crazy things at his concerts, well he did that thing with the microphone to one of the dancers on the 2003 tour here. :eek: I was amazed by my reaction to it really. That I wasn't offended. :D Not really sure how he does that but he seems to manage it regularly with me. :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • F5F5 Posts: 789
    Marilyn Manson is a poser. Who's music sucks.
    I agree MM's music is krap. As for MM the person he's just a waste of space.
    Bridge - 10/25/03
    Mansfield I - 6/28/08
    Eddie NYC - 8/4/08
    Seattle - 9/21/09, 9/22/09
    Salt Lake City 9/28/09
    LA 9/30/09, 10/07/09
    San Diego 10/9/09
    Alpine Valley 9/03/11, 9/04/11
    Ashbury Park 9/18/21
    LA 5/06/21, 5/07/21
    Phoenix 05/09/22
    NYC 9/11/22
    Denver 9/22/22
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Um no.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    does he really do the fucked up shit i hear at his live shows, or is that 100% rumors?
    He still lives with his parents.. its an act.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I agree MM's music is krap. As for MM the person he's just a waste of space.

No one will ever take you seriously spelling crap with a k.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    No one will ever take you seriously spelling crap with a k.

Not to mention an inability to understand the meaning of the word appreciation. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • lisamlisam Posts: 75
    I guess unlike most i like his more modern stuff. Yes it is different to the earlier stuff, a lot more commercial and a lot less experimental but with that comes a more even album that is much easier to listen to. I like that he isnt scared to be different and stands behind what he says even if it is controversial..

If anything you have to give the guy credit for being a master of his game. No other modern musician can create the controversy and headlines he does without actually doing anything
    Shot me with your funk gun
  • I guess I have always been more interested in the character of Marilyn Manson than the actual music. Anti-Christ Superstar came out when I was a sophomore in high school, and his face graced the cover of about every music and entertainment magazine at the time. His interviews were always very interesting and he would always spend some portion of the interview dispelling rumors about himself,(like having two lower ribs removed to make him flexible enough to blow himself, or that he played Paul on the Wonder Years.) I will say, I saw him at Ozzfest 2001 and his performance stole the show. I was super psyched because the original, ORIGINAL, Black Sabbath was playing that year and Manson blew them away. Now I just look forward to seeing him in 20 years to see if he keeps up the whole make-up shtick. It looks alright now, but the older performers like that get, the goofier it looks (Robert Smith, Jerry Only).
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    It's funny. After reading through this thread a few weeks ago, I decided to drag out my Manson albums and give them a listen. I decided, however, to start with the last Manson album I bought which was Holywood. Plus, it's interesting to listen to the "trilogy" in order. Anyway, I remember not being anywhere near impressed with this album, and I put it away. Looking back, I was completely wrong. It's a damn good album. It still doesn't even touch AntiChrist, but it is a decent album in and of itself.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks