Options

How Pearl Jam Can Grow or Fall Behind:

worldworld Posts: 266
edited July 2009 in The Porch
There are plenty of rumors on the new Pearl Jam album and how it is being released. It seems like they are going about it the same ol way. The way that is dieing.

The music revolution is happening out there. Its not through record companies, TV advertising, or big corporate deals. Its through FREE online music. As soon as a record is either leaked or released, it is free for everybody. Like it or not. It is free and its online. So, bands need to grow and understand what the industry has become.

Nine Inch Nails understands this perfectly. Trent released the entire album online for free, through torrents and with great quality. Free/legal music reaches a huge audience. Then, he released multiple versions of the album. Vinyl with autograph, Blu-Ray 7.1 surround sound, and a bunch of tiered limited edition stuff. Trent sold-out of the expensive stuff right away and made millions WITHOUT a big record company deal, TV commercials, and a big corporate deal.

PLEASE Pearl Jam, dont die with the record companies, join the future already. Plenty of smart musicians are growing, join the free music online party. Expand your fan-base and make a ton of money.

:D
Chicago '98, Noblesville '00, East Troy '00, Chicago '00, Champaign '03, Chicago '03, Chicago1 '06, Chicago2 '06, Milwaukee '06, Chicago1 '09, and Chicago2 '09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Maybe it will be available in good quality temporarily online after tonights show, or at least the single like World Wide Suicide was. :D
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    In summation, we all steal music so rather than us changing our ways, the bands should accommodate and force feed our selfishness.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    Call me a dinosaur, but I hate online music and love vinyl and cds. There are a lot of us out there.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    world wrote:
    There are plenty of rumors on the new Pearl Jam album and how it is being released. It seems like they are going about it the same ol way. The way that is dieing.

The music revolution is happening out there. Its not through record companies, TV advertising, or big corporate deals. Its through FREE online music. As soon as a record is either leaked or released, it is free for everybody. Like it or not. It is free and its online. So, bands need to grow and understand what the industry has become.

Nine Inch Nails understands this perfectly. Trent released the entire album online for free, through torrents and with great quality. Free/legal music reaches a huge audience. Then, he released multiple versions of the album. Vinyl with autograph, Blu-Ray 7.1 surround sound, and a bunch of tiered limited edition stuff. Trent sold-out of the expensive stuff right away and made millions WITHOUT a big record company deal, TV commercials, and a big corporate deal.

PLEASE Pearl Jam, dont die with the record companies, join the future already. Plenty of smart musicians are growing, join the free music online party. Expand your fan-base and make a ton of money.

:D

You're delusional. What they are doing is the way of the future for bands of their stature. Now, bands of their stature is another story.
  • Options
    over_bends wrote:
    In summation, we all steal music so rather than us changing our ways, the bands should accommodate and force feed our selfishness.

You are incorrect. When a band gives music away for free, its impossible to steal. If Pearl Jam would let everyone have MP3s for free, it would create fans that buy limited edition vinyls, signed CDs, and people that would go to concerts and buy T-shirts.

Suing fans and becoming a dinosaur is not the way to go about things. The free-market has spoken, we want to trade music for free and smoke pot. We clearly dont care about old out-dated laws.
    Chicago '98, Noblesville '00, East Troy '00, Chicago '00, Champaign '03, Chicago '03, Chicago1 '06, Chicago2 '06, Milwaukee '06, Chicago1 '09, and Chicago2 '09
  • Options
    Wolf At BayWolf At Bay Posts: 236
    Solat13 wrote:
    Call me a dinosaur, but I hate online music and love vinyl and cds. There are a lot of us out there.

I'm with you and I'm not even that old. Sometimes I can't believe how easily my peers gave into mp3s and shit.

Of course, with the economy, free music is welcome with a dream of one day buying the physical media.
  • Options
    yeah, I prefer actually owning a CD or vinyl. But, as soon as I get have an album in my car the better.

When NIN released their last album, I downloaded (legal & free) it and burned a cd. Then I found out they are selling limited numbered 1-500,000 cds. They cost a little extra, but I bought one instantly because I wanted a numbered limited edition one. I listened to the MP3 album until my limited edition cd showed up.

I told a few friends who werent nin fans that they could download the entire album free and legal. They did, now a couple of them are die-hard fans and went to their concert with me. They would never have came without the free download option. They own a few Vinyls of NIN now too.

NIN made more money from me and my friends because they gave the MP3s away for free.
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 327
    trent, trent, trent! WHO GIVES A FUCK WHAT THAT DOUCHEBAG DID?
  • Options
    mrveddersonmrvedderson Posts: 784
    world wrote:
    over_bends wrote:

You are incorrect. When a band gives music away for free, its impossible to steal. If Pearl Jam would let everyone have MP3s for free, it would create fans that buy limited edition vinyls, signed CDs, and people that would go to concerts and buy T-shirts.

Suing fans and becoming a dinosaur is not the way to go about things. The free-market has spoken, we want to trade music for free and smoke pot. We clearly dont care about old out-dated laws.

lmao dead on
  • Options
    Haijay wrote:
    trent, trent, trent! WHO GIVES A FUCK WHAT THAT DOUCHEBAG DID?

Trent may be a douchebag, but he has figured out how to expand his fanbase and make millions of dollars by giving away his music for free.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Funny thing though, PEarl Jam has always been about DRM Free digital music on all their downloads. They have always explored new ways of getting music to fans ahead of most people. I am 100% positive that this new record will be available as a download, as a Vcast stream, as a rock band and guitar hero download, as a vinyl record and cd available online or in a retail outlet. I think they have all basses covered with the exception of giving it away for free. They too are doing all of this on their own, without a label. I think PJ are doing just fine and in no threat of "dieing with the record companies."
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Funny thing though, PEarl Jam has always been about DRM Free digital music on all their downloads. They have always explored new ways of getting music to fans ahead of most people. I am 100% positive that this new record will be available as a download, as a Vcast stream, as a rock band and guitar hero download, as a vinyl record and cd available online or in a retail outlet. I think they have all basses covered with the exception of giving it away for free. They too are doing all of this on their own, without a label. I think PJ are doing just fine and in no threat of "dieing with the record companies."

Vcast - Verizon
    Rock Band - Viacom
    Guitar Hero - Vivendi

Pearl Jam is really been about getting music to people. . . Only if its through huge corporations. Funny how they all start with "V".
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    over_bends wrote:
    Well, in that case, I'm off to go change the mindsets of millions of over people.

Even if you see it as wrong, there's so many other people out there that balk at the idea of paying $12-$20 dollars for a CD that it's futile to try and change their minds. Maybe if the labels had worked WITH file sharing services such as Napster early on and rode the wave instead of desperately clinging to a business model that was growing more and more outdated by the day, actually buying music probably wouldn't seem so taboo.

And for the record, I'm all for buying music. I've only had a real job since September and I've already amassed 100+ CDs. Nothing beats perusing the liner notes while hearing an album for the first time.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    Back_Pedal wrote:
    over_bends wrote:
    Well, in that case, I'm off to go change the mindsets of millions of over people.

Even if you see it as wrong, there's so many other people out there that balk at the idea of paying $12-$20 dollars for a CD that it's futile to try and change their minds. Maybe if the labels had worked WITH file sharing services such as Napster early on and rode the wave instead of desperately clinging to a business model that was growing more and more outdated by the day, actually buying music probably wouldn't seem so taboo.

And for the record, I'm all for buying music. I've only had a real job since September and I've already amassed 100+ CDs. Nothing beats perusing the liner notes while hearing an album for the first time.

The whole music game has shifted, instead of just coping cassettes and giving them to your small group of friends, its now a very large group of friends.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    world wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:

Vcast - Verizon
    Rock Band - Viacom
    Guitar Hero - Vivendi

Pearl Jam is really been about getting music to people. . . Only if its through huge corporations. Funny how they all start with "V".
    A) I really think you should start a letter "v" conspiracy thread.
    B) The agreement with Target allows the band to also distribute their new album through independent music stores as well. So, that just kind of throws your "Only if its through huge corporations" theory out the window. Plus, the band will be selling it themselves.

It seems like you are trying to make it seem as though PJ has never sold their albums in corporate retail outlets and that is just simply not true....they always have. Yes, it seems to be the newest trend to do exclusive deals with large retail outlets...and the band feels they have chosen the best one of the bunch, the one that still allows them to sell the album to Independent record stores. Or, is it that you will not be happy until they give you a free download of the entire album, ala NIN?
  • Options
    Whether the album is realesed online for free or not is not really that important as we already have the option to pay or not. It was stated that a large percentage of people couldn't be bothered going to radioheads website to get in rainbows for free, it was mainly downloaded from torrent websites.

I think the main issue is how much effort a band puts into the CD format release. The CD isnt really that "compact" anymore. I find them a huge inconvienence in my house and they are never used now that my entire collection of music fits on an 80Gig iPod. Buying any music CD is only going to collect dust. Its not that i refuse to pay for music. its just that I really dont care for the CD format anymore.

The format still needs to exist, but it doesnt need to be the dominant way to hear the music anymore. NIN's way of releasing "the slip" had the right balance of release formats

Releasing albums online isnt the only solution as accompaning artwork and liner notes are important to me. Vinyl records have the artwork and liner notes in the best way possible as they were originally intended in some cases (PJ)

I think artists should be re-assessing the balance with format distribution and promotion

20 % Vinyl :D
    20% CD
    75% online
    5% other..

I don't really have a point except i wanted to say I love vinyl and are over CD's haha.
    ...The Moon is Rollin' Round....
  • Options
    blorpblorp Posts: 34
    How Pearl Jam can grow is to make better music...

if the music is awesome, people will listen

you can make a great double LP (like "The Wall") sell it for $40 and people will still buy it... or you can record a total piss of shit and give it away for free and see who's interested.

I guess my point is that, every now and then, I'll hear a song on the radio or something that is so amazing that I go through hell finding out who sang it and how I could buy it... and I'm happy to do all that because my reward is having some great music to listen to. if the music is good enough, I'll put up with the inconveniance of walking into a store.

Most (material) things worth having are not free
  • Options
    blorp wrote:
    How Pearl Jam can grow is to make better music...

if the music is awesome, people will listen

you can make a great double LP (like "The Wall") sell it for $40 and people will still buy it... or you can record a total piss of shit and give it away for free and see who's interested.

I guess my point is that, every now and then, I'll hear a song on the radio or something that is so amazing that I go through hell finding out who sang it and how I could buy it... and I'm happy to do all that because my reward is having some great music to listen to. if the music is good enough, I'll put up with the inconveniance of walking into a store.

Most (material) things worth having are not free

Why cant they make an awesome album, give it away for free on MP3. Then charge $75 for a blu-ray 7.1 surround sound version of the album with a little "making of" book. Also, they could charge $300 for an autographed vinyl. The result would be free music for everyone and a larger fan base. Along with the millions of dollars they would make from the limited edition stuff.

We get free music and they get millions of dollars. Its win/win situation, except for the Record Companies and Target.
  • Options
    TangerineTangerine Posts: 880
    blorp wrote:

I don't know many albums you can compare to "The Wall". IMO, it's in a realm entirely unto itself.
    2006: Boston I, Camden II
    2007: Chicago
    2008: Hartford, Mansfield I & II, EV Boston
    2009: Philly III & IV
    2010: Boston
    2011: PJ20
    2012: Philly
    2013: Worcester I & II, Brooklyn I & II
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Tangerine wrote:
    blorp wrote:

I don't know many albums you can compare to "The Wall". IMO, it's in a realm entirely unto itself.

Even if The Wall was the greatest piece of music ever conceived(which it's not even close, imo) the point remains. You could sell any of the preceding 4 Floyd albums for $25 and people would buy them.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,283
    So Pearl Jam should spend months writing and recording a new album and then just give it away? Funny that, I don't think I'll be saying to my boss on Monday morning "Don't bother paying me for the next few months, I'll do it for free..."

There are still enough people out there, myself included, that will always prefer a physical album to a digital one. To paraphrase Ed at the MSG last year, "How can you get excited about it (downloaded music) in the same way as you can about a gatefold vinyl?" Of course I have downloaded music, The Slip included, but it's hard to feel anything for some files on an Ipod compared to a booklet with artwork and lyrics etc.

I'm sure everyone would love to get free PJ music but you only have to look at the recent ticket controversy to realise that if they only released expensive, limited versions of the album then a lot of people would be really pissed off at either a) not being able to afford it or b) missing out altogether.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    Solat13 wrote:

AMEN!! i love my CD collection... i love my Albums (even though i dont listen to them... i still buy stuff on Vinyl)... Downloading has no liner notes...no artwork...nothing extra.... i will gladly pay for CD's.
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Options
    goldrush wrote:
    So Pearl Jam should spend months writing and recording a new album and then just give it away? Funny that, I don't think I'll be saying to my boss on Monday morning "Don't bother paying me for the next few months, I'll do it for free..."

There are still enough people out there, myself included, that will always prefer a physical album to a digital one. To paraphrase Ed at the MSG last year, "How can you get excited about it (downloaded music) in the same way as you can about a gatefold vinyl?" Of course I have downloaded music, The Slip included, but it's hard to feel anything for some files on an Ipod compared to a booklet with artwork and lyrics etc.

I'm sure everyone would love to get free PJ music but you only have to look at the recent ticket controversy to realise that if they only released expensive, limited versions of the album then a lot of people would be really pissed off at either a) not being able to afford it or b) missing out altogether.

Hmmm, I guess some people dont get the point. First off, nobody misses out and everyone can afford FREE. The album goes out to EVERYONE regardless of your income bracket, its FREE. But, Nine Inch Nails has proven that fans want limited edition swag, vinyls, and ultra-quality Blu-Ray. They will pay a premium. Trent Reznor made MILLIONS of his last couple albums with limited edition tiered stuff and FREE MP3s.

Pearl Jam wont work for free, they will collect a HUGE amount of money. They could release unlimited vinyls at regular cost, then auction 100 limited edition autographed vinyls. Those auctioned autographed vinyls would more then make up for the money they will lose by nickel and diming us with 99cent itunes tracks.