Options

lays dormant------THEN ATTACKS!

DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
edited November 2013 in The Porch
This happens often....

What current Pearl Jam song has for you always been "ahh, so-so", and then all of a sudden it jumps up and bites your face off. Well, that's a little overboard, but you get the picture...

The current for me is "1/2 Full" from Riot Act. I always thought the song was "good", but just today, I realized that this song is absolutely F-in Crazy. Having it blasting while driving in driving rain probably aided that realization on.

P.S. There is not a crazy face "smilie"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    happend to me with not for you and state of love and trust
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,749
    1/2 Full is a good example of this. I didn't really "get it" until I heard it live. Now, it just sounds like something set on fire.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    happened for me with 1/2 full at bonaroo. most of riot act is like that. live version way way better.

the first song for me to jump out after awhile was hail hail.
    thought it was just a riff heavy song. then i really listened to the words one day..and picked up the slow build up on the 2nd guitar.
    now it gives me chills
  • Options
    happened for me with 1/2 full at bonaroo. most of riot act is like that. live version way way better.

the first song for me to jump out after awhile was hail hail.
    thought it was just a riff heavy song. then i really listened to the words one day..and picked up the slow build up on the 2nd guitar.
    now it gives me chills

The Bonnaroo show was incredible.... I would say that the song that jumped out for me was Around the Bend... I never really stopped to listen to it until I heard the Benaroya Hall edition and that just made it for me... now it's one of my favorites... Really well done... I think sometimes the venue, etc. is important for how you take songs...
  • Options
    icemanapicemanap Posts: 406
    I was never a really big fan of Porch until only recently, now when I play the album I skip back to hear it again, and again, and again....
    Gone and Inside Job didn't grab me straight away but after a few more listens, they are outstanding tracks.
    I still don't like the studio version of Better Man though. Live it's absolutely amazing.
    :D Rock on!!!! :D
    Seen Pearl Jam 4 times in London, once in Manchester, as well as an Eddie show at Hammersmith.
  • Options
    NoOne'sRivalNoOne'sRival Posts: 299
    RIVAL did it for me...it's not a jump in your face kinda song, but it took me a time or two, very funky for me
    "Dream the dream others then...you will be no one's RIVAL!"
    "Doo do do do doo do doo, Doo do do do doo do doo..."
  • Options
    Rival just ATTACKED me recently too. And it wasn't just those vicious dogs either.
  • Options
    prodacakeprodacake Posts: 319
    cropduster, for me i love it now, i was the fool because i thought i thought the world turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    Help! Johnny Guitar is coming after me with his axe. Oh, that's only his guitar.
  • Options
    Get Right for me, I kind of didn't dislike it, but didn't pay much attention, then one day Mike came flying out of the speakers and ripped my face of with his solo. I kept skipping back and thinking how have I missed this solo?
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Just happened.....Strangest Tribe

And I truly blame 'dem bells
  • Options
    photogirllizphotogirlliz Posts: 2,491
    I always thought Release was a good song...but when I saw it at PJ20...holy crap! Amazing!
    "I am myself...like you, somehow."
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    I always thought Release was a good song...but when I saw it at PJ20...holy crap! Amazing!

me too. I never heard it quite like that before either. Also,same thing with Wash the next night.

PJ songs are always creeping up in different degrees IF not all of a sudden. For that reason, I can't ever say I don't like a pearl jam song....I can only say I haven't listened to it the required amount of time FOR me to like it yet.
  • Options
    I always liked "Tremor Christ," and more recently, within the last few years, I've become a die hard Puscifer fan cause I like slow, dark jams.

Well, the "VS/Vitalogy" thing came out last year and reintroduced me to how powerfully dark "Tremor Christ" really is and I played the shit out of it, even made it my ringtone on my phone and plan on NEVER changing it!

Every time it rings I think to myself, "God, damnit thats sick!" and even let it play out. Its the first verse and the vocals are too good.
    Fan of singer songwriters who push musical boundaries?
    You need to hear this new artist!
    Visit www.daveshowmusic.com
  • Options
    nym5cbnym5cb Posts: 72
    I always liked "Tremor Christ," and more recently, within the last few years, I've become a die hard Puscifer fan cause I like slow, dark jams.

Well, the "VS/Vitalogy" thing came out last year and reintroduced me to how powerfully dark "Tremor Christ" really is and I played the shit out of it, even made it my ringtone on my phone and plan on NEVER changing it!

Every time it rings I think to myself, "God, damnit thats sick!" and even let it play out. Its the first verse and the vocals are too good.
    I agree 100%. I always used to skip over it every time no matter what, and now I actually skip to it, I love it so much. Same thing with whipping. Ed's growling at certain parts is just amazing.
    "And i listen, for the voice inside my head... Nothin'... I'll do this one myself."
    5/21/10- MSG
    9/2/11- PJ20 1
    9/3/11- PJ20 2
    9/2/12- Made in America, Philly
  • Options
    Meg8686Meg8686 Posts: 1,234
    it's all to fresh to my ears, but i found a version of Crown of thorns I hadn't seen before and it's love all over again :)
    Sometimes I speak of nothing at all.
  • Options
    Porch I've always liked but it came on the other day and blew me away with strong energy/emotions..no idea why...the ending is so intense. I didn't think you could get more intense than release but this does this for me.
  • Options
    Porch is one of my favorite songs. period.
  • Options
    Macca.Macca. Posts: 19
    I get this lots too.

"Gone" was a biggie for me recently.
  • Options
    The song that got me was Grievance, came out of left field and now I can't stop playing it!
    Nature has it's own religion, gospel from the land.
  • Options
    big mickbig mick Hull UK Posts: 773
    Love Boat Captain and Bu$hleaguer in the last couple of months, always thought Riot Act was a good album, now I think its a real cracker!
    Reading England 2006, Manchester England 2009, London England 2010, Manchester 1 2012, EV London 1 2012
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,455
    Parting Ways for me. I made a copy of the cd and changed the order around and added some songs and ended up running out of disc space so I left it off. Years later it is one of my favorites.
  • Options
    dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,318
    Macca. wrote:
    I get this lots too.

I agree. Gone is a slow burning one for me. Now, I can't get enough of it. Unthought Known was the same way. When I heard it on the album, I thought, "eh" but then I heard it live, and I was swept up by it.
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • Options
    karicorbittkaricorbitt Posts: 207
    I was taking a walk one day and listening to my ipod. Inside Job came on in a random shuffle. Before Eddie sang, i was like "what the heck is this?" I thought it was some strange but really pretty song so i kept listening without looking to see what it was.... then BAM.... "underneath this smile lies everything..." ... i was glued to every word. it hit me so hard i was literally walking down the street with tears streaming down my cheeks.
    i am sure i had heard this song before, as i owned the album, but it was like i hadn't. i don't remember listening to it once before that day.
    i played this song over and over and over AND OVER for months. still do sometimes.
    Hats off to Eddie and Mike for writing a song that spoke words by soul couldn't say.
  • Options
    faithfullalefaithfullale Posts: 152
    dasvidana wrote:
    Macca. wrote:
    I get this lots too.

I agree. Gone is a slow burning one for
    me. Now, I can't get enough of it.
    Unthought Known was the same way.
    When I heard it on the album, I thought,
    "eh" but then I heard it live, and I was
    swept up by it.[/

I feel same way about gone. If you don't have it, find the aol session of gone, awesome version.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    Love Boat Captain for sure.
    I think I kind of "ignored" it because of the name of the song.....
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    I am mine...

yes...I love that song...but then as i was driving along somewhere by myself...

the line

"The sorrow grows bigger, when the sorrow's denied"

just hit me so emotionally...

that's what I love about PJ...different parts of every song reach my soul at specific times in my life...and it makes me love them more... 8-)
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • Options
    dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,318
    dasvidana wrote:
    Macca. wrote:
    I get this lots too.

I agree. Gone is a slow burning one for
    me. Now, I can't get enough of it.
    Unthought Known was the same way.
    When I heard it on the album, I thought,
    "eh" but then I heard it live, and I was
    swept up by it.[/

I feel same way about gone. If you don't have it, find the aol session of gone, awesome version.
    Agreed. The AOL session version is my favorite.
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • Options
    drewdawgqdrewdawgq Posts: 168
    1/2 Full from the Live on Easy Street EP changed my life.
    Tread Lightly.
  • Options
    Tiz10Tiz10 South Florida Posts: 270
    I have a couple of those songs recently, Comatose and Green Disease I must be hearing through "new ears" :)
    August 17th 1998 Indianapolis, IN
    August 18th 2000 Indianapolis, IN
    June 22nd 2003 Indianapolis, IN
    June 11th 2008 West Palm Beach, FL
    June 12th 2008 Tampa, FL
    October 15th 2013 Worcester, MA
    October 16th 2013 Worcester, MA
    October 3rd 2014 St.Louis, MO
    April 8th 2016 Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    April 9th 2016 Miami, FL
    April 11th 2016 Tampa, FL
    August 5th 2016 Boston, MA (Fenway 1)