• Options
    chittychitty Posts: 575
    Oh my that was unbelievable. Every song
    I wanted to hear
    Thanks to the hip
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    edited August 2016
    Great show (except for the second Trudeau moment), thanks to the Hip and Kingston for sharing their night with us, and kudos to the CBC for running the entire show with not a single commercial interruption.

It was (more than) a bit heartbreaking seeing Johnny Fay help Gord Downie down the steps after the second-last encore, but uplifting to see Gord take the same steps on his own after the finale.

Edited to be less mean to our PM (only out of respect to the Hip), I'll save the vitriol for the Canadian Politics thread, lol.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    Meant to ask, was there some significance to the Jaws tshirt? I thought it was just that Downie likes the movie, but then I spotted a couple in the crowd throughout the show, lol.

• Options
    Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    Gord's been wearing the Jaws shirt through out the tour so I imagine some fans wanted to find one and join in the fun. I have to admit I thought about checking Amazon for one haha
  • Options
    Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    Great show tonight! 3 encores! Locked in the trunk of a car was a highlight for me, especially since it started the unexpected encore
  • Options

Gord's been wearing the Jaws shirt through out the tour so I imagine some fans wanted to find one and join in the fun. I have to admit I thought about checking Amazon for one haha

Cool, thanks for clearing that up, lol. I would have bought one just because it's Jaws, except now there'll be a run on them for a bit, lol.

• Options
    What a great night for our country.

The land unified with a rock band.

I see a lot of people buying in these days and I'm not judging them: happy to have you aboard people. Enjoy your discovery of a great f**king rock and roll band.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Ed mentioned the Hip at wrigley tonight before going into Light Years.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

What the hell are you still doing up? Go to bed, old man.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,512
    edited August 2016

Great show (except for the second Trudeau moment), thanks to the Hip and Kingston for sharing their night with us, and kudos to the CBC for running the entire show with not a single commercial interruption.

It was (more than) a bit heartbreaking seeing Johnny Fay help Gord Downie down the steps after the second-last encore, but uplifting to see Gord take the same steps on his own after the finale.

Edited to be less mean to our PM (only out of respect to the Hip), I'll save the vitriol for the Canadian Politics thread, lol.

Oh man, I loved the second Trudeau moment! :lol: Gord's right. The circumstances in Northern communities is HORRENDOUS. Disgusting that a country like Canada has such conditions, and the history behind Natives is outrageously shameful. Gord 100% called Trudeau out and I think very purposefully and very "graciously" and tactfully put him on the spot about the issue big time. And Trudeau knew it. It was great! Gord is a fucking genius.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736

I see a lot of people buying in these days and I'm not judging them: happy to have you aboard people. Enjoy your discovery of a great f**king rock and roll band.

Didn't get to watch the whole show, but saw the some of the encores and it was EXCELLENT.

Long live the Hip!
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • Options
    Sarah said:

Didn't get to watch the whole show, but saw the some of the encores and it was EXCELLENT.

Long live the Hip!
    Cheers!
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Gord Downie’s manic energy drove final Tragically Hip concert as cross-country crowd fought tears

http://news.nationalpost.com/arts/music/gord-downies-manic-energy-drove-final-tragically-hip-concert-as-cross-country-crowd-fought-tears

Great Concert...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 678
    PJ_Soul said:

Oh man, I loved the second Trudeau moment! :lol: Gord's right. The circumstances in Northern communities is HORRENDOUD. Disgusting that a country like Canada has such conditions, and the history behind Natives is outrageously shameful. Gord 100% called Trudeau out and I think very purposefully and very "graciously" and tactfully put him on the spot about the issue big time. And Trudeau knew it. It was great! Gord is a fucking genius.
    ^^THIS!!
    It was difficult at times watching this show, but celebratory all the same. I've had a lot of family members pass away the last few years, this year especially, and for some reason Gord's bravery to tour one last time has reminded me to celebrate the time I had with those I miss and love. Last night was an incredible event and one that will not be forgotten.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Oh man, I loved the second Trudeau moment! :lol: Gord's right. The circumstances in Northern communities is HORRENDOUD. Disgusting that a country like Canada has such conditions, and the history behind Natives is outrageously shameful. Gord 100% called Trudeau out and I think very purposefully and very "graciously" and tactfully put him on the spot about the issue big time. And Trudeau knew it. It was great! Gord is a fucking genius.
    Unfortunately I didn't hear it as "calling out" Trudeau, but more as a further deification of him (Downie's saying Trudeau listens, he's going to save the country and so on). One person's garbage is another person's gold though, this being a prime example. For some, if not many, that was a sour note in an otherwise beautiful evening.

It simply showed me that Trudeau (as I posited in another thread) could/should have taken a break from his west coast surfing and caught one of the shows out there, but they weren't televised.

• Options
    edited August 2016

PJ_Soul said:

Unfortunately I didn't hear it as "calling out" Trudeau, but more as a further deification of him (Downie's saying Trudeau listens, he's going to save the country and so on). One person's garbage is another person's gold though, this being a prime example. For some, if not many, that was a sour note in an otherwise beautiful evening.

It simply showed me that Trudeau (as I posited in another thread) could/should have taken a break from his west coast surfing and caught one of the shows out there, but they weren't televised.
    It's called subtlety. Gord was totally putting him on the spot and so cleverly saying "you need to do this". And yes, expressing his faith in the PM, and there is nothing wrong with that. God knows i have more faith in Gord's views than a sadly cynical poster on a message board. And I would never ever ever blame anyone for making a point of attending the Kingston show. Come on. Trudeau is a music lover, he knows The Hip's music, and is undeniably a proud Canadian, and quite reasonably wanted to mark the occasion and be there showing support for the whole thing for Canada to see, because he is the PM (one that the majority of people like). Sometimes people are so unreasonable about leaders. They forget they are human. And why would you have wanted him to attend a Vancouver show and be mad that he didn't? That's odd. The Kingston show was special for everyone, including him. And you know, it seems like the man up on stage, the one dying of a brain tumour, was glad he came and glad he could use the opportunity to draw attention to the situation up North and tell the whole country that Trudeau's gotta do something about it, and practically force his hand. Fantastic.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Yes... you're digging deep trying to find fault with Trudeau or Gord at this event.

I mean... why not count how many times he blinks in a minute and criticize that too?
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685

That he did.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J10F17ed9mo
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

Trudeau is like all politicians a political opportunist ... being called out on the problems in the north will change nothing, he will do minimum like all federal leaders, but will be there for photo ops and selfies.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    lukin2006 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Trudeau is like all politicians a political opportunist ... being called out on the problems in the north will change nothing, he will do minimum like all federal leaders, but will be there for photo ops and selfies.
    Not sure why you say that. He really hasn't done "minimum" so far, so you are basing that on fantasy or cynicism or i don't know what.
  • Options
    PJ Soul, I may be "sadly" cynical, but could you please try and see it from my point of view (and that of many others I suspect) for a moment. Can you not see how Trudeau's appearance could leave a sour taste in my mouth? How might you (and others) have reacted had it been Harper attending as PM, receiving the same response from Downie?

To get back on topic (since there's another thread for talking about the current PM), it was nice to see Ed's dedication of Light Years to Downie last night reported on the local news station today.

• Options
    StevieGStevieG Ontario Posts: 850

PJ Soul, I may be "sadly" cynical, but could you please try and see it from my point of view (and that of many others I suspect) for a moment. Can you not see how Trudeau's appearance could leave a sour taste in my mouth? How might you (and others) have reacted had it been Harper attending as PM, receiving the same response from Downie?

To get back on topic (since there's another thread for talking about the current PM), it was nice to see Ed's dedication of Light Years to Downie last night reported on the local news station today.

Trudeau is a fucking douche, as are most Liberal politicians. Wynne is absolutely ruining Ontario.
    Barrie, ON - Aug 22, 1998
    London, ON - Sep 12, 2005
    Toronto, ON - Aug 21, 2009
    Toronto, ON- Sep 11 2011
    Hamilton, ON- Sep 15 2011
    London, ON- Jul 16 2013
    Buffalo, NY- Oct 12 2013
  • Options
    Pearl Jam’s Eddie Vedder calls Gord Downie ‘very courageous’

http://globalnews.ca/news/2894822/pearl-jams-eddie-vedder-calls-gord-downie-very-courageous/

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited August 2016
    Watch the 1min clip in this article of Gord during grace too.
    Pretty emotional
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/tragically-hip-legacy-dave-bidini-1.3730006
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    lukin2006 said:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2894822/pearl-jams-eddie-vedder-calls-gord-downie-very-courageous/

Seeing how much energy it took out of Downie, one can't help but agree. I liked his crack about the 2-sock scarf, and how it took him 28 years to figure that one out, lol.

• Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    I was at the show last night and I'm still trying to formulate thoughts. Basically, it was one of the great nights of my life, let alone as a music fan. It was incredible.

Afterwards I scanned social media, and the overwhelming sentiment being expressed (imo) was sadness. I don't know how the broadcast was...but inside the arena there was a sense of jubilation, and while I got choked up a few times ("Scared," "Grace, Too," "ABAC") I don't think I was alone in walking out of the show feeling oddly exuberant. The love in the room was palpable. When Gord broke down during "Grace, Too," the crowd's response was staggering, and it kept getting louder and louder until Gord, literally, dropped the mic'.

I've long been of the opinion this isn't "it" for the Hip. Now I'm not so sure. How do you top that? There were 11.7 people watching their show yesterday. That's a third of Canada. I'd love them to keep going...but I'm honestly not sure where you go from there.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    I'm now reading that Trudeau was asked to be there by the band, so I will accept that I was wrong to criticize his being there (though I do maintain it would have been more appropriate for him to have attended one of the other concerts).

• Options

lukin2006 said:

Seeing how much energy it took out of Downie, one can't help but agree. I liked his crack about the 2-sock scarf, and how it took him 28 years to figure that one out, lol.
    I agree he expended a lot of energy for that show, the 2 scarf sock crack was great...

• Options
    NWOntario said:

I was at the show last night and I'm still trying to formulate thoughts. Basically, it was one of the great nights of my life, let alone as a music fan. It was incredible.

Afterwards I scanned social media, and the overwhelming sentiment being expressed (imo) was sadness. I don't know how the broadcast was...but inside the arena there was a sense of jubilation, and while I got choked up a few times ("Scared," "Grace, Too," "ABAC") I don't think I was alone in walking out of the show feeling oddly exuberant. The love in the room was palpable. When Gord broke down during "Grace, Too," the crowd's response was staggering, and it kept getting louder and louder until Gord, literally, dropped the mic'.

I've long been of the opinion this isn't "it" for the Hip. Now I'm not so sure. How do you top that? There were 11.7 people watching their show yesterday. That's a third of Canada. I'd love them to keep going...but I'm honestly not sure where you go from there.

I felt like it was celebration of their music ... or at least that's how I saw it. Great show it was, glad you enjoyed and you were one very lucky person.

• Options

I'm now reading that Trudeau was asked to be there by the band, so I will accept that I was wrong to criticize his being there (though I do maintain it would have been more appropriate for him to have attended one of the other concerts).

Easy mistake to make with him ... the bright side, at least he kept his shirt on...hahaha.