The Tragically Hip!!!!

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

benjs said:

PJ_Soul said:

just in case anyone was wondering, Rob Baker (guitarist) confirms via twitter that the band has never said anything about this being the final tour.

Yeah, I've felt uncomfortable about the media calling it a farewell tour when the band never did (especially with Gord saying "I'll see you again" over and over in Vancouver). It's almost gruesome.
    well, in one sense I agree, but if the band isn't embracing this "final tour" stuff, what is with Gord standing out there alone at/near the end of the show and showering in all the praise of the crowd all by himself?
    Cancer is still cancer, support is still support - whether you're playing a show next year or not, I thought it was beautiful to witness in Toronto.
    absolutely, all I meant was that it SEEMS to me that they are treating this as a farewell, whether they want to explicitly state it or not. believe me, I was in tears in Winnipeg.
    I think it's just that they know it COULD be their last tour, and that Gord really needs and appreciates the love and support and gratitude while he goes through this, even though they are hoping by some miracle that it's not their last tour. Which means, to me, that it's pretty damn tasteless of the media to call it a farewell tour. Plus, who's to say The Hip won't go on without Gord? Would be far from the first time that a band replaced the heart and soul of their band (for better or worse). I don't advocate for that personally, just saying it's a possibility.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    When you announce your lead singer has terminal brain cancer and then one day later you announce a tour, I don't think the media is being tasteless to label it as a farewell tour. For the record I hope it's not so I made damn sure I got to a show in case it's my last Hip show. And if the band were to continue without Gord (which won't happen) it would not be The Hip.
  • zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    I was at the Hamilton show and I can tell you that Gord said his final goodbyes. Throughout the night, he referred to the 'elephant' in the room specifically.
    I've never witnessed anything like that in my life. Peace to him.
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: Noblesville 
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I think its a very realistic likelihood that this is the end (as far as the live experience) of the band as we have known them with Gord at the front.

However, more shows in the future are probably not ruled out. What if Gord continues to deal well with the treatment, is feeling pretty good in the spring, and the guys decide to schedule a few shows? Maybe a 'full' coast to coast tour wont happen, or at least it is much more unlikely. I wouldnt rule anything out, really.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:

benjs said:

PJ_Soul said:

just in case anyone was wondering, Rob Baker (guitarist) confirms via twitter that the band has never said anything about this being the final tour.

Yeah, I've felt uncomfortable about the media calling it a farewell tour when the band never did (especially with Gord saying "I'll see you again" over and over in Vancouver). It's almost gruesome.
    well, in one sense I agree, but if the band isn't embracing this "final tour" stuff, what is with Gord standing out there alone at/near the end of the show and showering in all the praise of the crowd all by himself?
    Cancer is still cancer, support is still support - whether you're playing a show next year or not, I thought it was beautiful to witness in Toronto.
    absolutely, all I meant was that it SEEMS to me that they are treating this as a farewell, whether they want to explicitly state it or not. believe me, I was in tears in Winnipeg.
    I think it's just that they know it COULD be their last tour, and that Gord really needs and appreciates the love and support and gratitude while he goes through this, even though they are hoping by some miracle that it's not their last tour. Which means, to me, that it's pretty damn tasteless of the media to call it a farewell tour. Plus, who's to say The Hip won't go on without Gord? Would be far from the first time that a band replaced the heart and soul of their band (for better or worse). I don't advocate for that personally, just saying it's a possibility.
    not a CHANCE the band goes on without gord. at least not as the Hip. I would honestly bet my house on it.

I think this will be their last tour. I don't think Kingston is a slam dunk as their final show, however. all depends on how he's feeling. but honestly, has anyone else noticed how much he's aged? he looks 20 years older.

I read an article that Gord has a lot of material he apparently is planning for release sonner rather than later.

I don't think it's tasteless at all. that's just the media machine. I think it was partly due to, as someone else mentioned, the timing of the cancer announcement in relation to the tour announcement.

the announcement said "So after 30-some years together as The Tragically Hip, thousands of shows, and hundreds of tours…

We’ve decided to do another one."

I could see how some could interpret that as "one LAST time".

a bar in winnipeg that is showing the show on their big screens is advertising it as "the final Tragically Hip show".
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

MayDay10 said:

I think its a very realistic likelihood that this is the end (as far as the live experience) of the band as we have known them with Gord at the front.

However, more shows in the future are probably not ruled out. What if Gord continues to deal well with the treatment, is feeling pretty good in the spring, and the guys decide to schedule a few shows? Maybe a 'full' coast to coast tour wont happen, or at least it is much more unlikely. I wouldnt rule anything out, really.

Right. Hey, I don't think there will be any more shows either. It's just that they aren't going to burn their bridges, so the media shouldn't either.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited August 2016
    The Lonely End of the Rink

Gord Downie and the Tragically Hip led Canadians deep into the mysteries of their national identity. Now they’re saying goodbye.

"Of course, some of us have already moved on to John K. Samson. Some of us are still infatuated with Rush. Some of us will finally discover Tanya Tagaq. We’re happy to share them all with you. We’ll share the Arcade Fire and all our poutine and Degrassi reruns. But the Hip is who we are in private."

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/music_box/2016/08/gord_downie_the_dying_singer_of_the_tragically_hip_was_a_canadian_s_canadian.html
    Post edited by dignin on
    free to any home: my extra Gord Downie Coke Machine Glow cd. pm me your address and it's yours.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768

When you announce your lead singer has terminal brain cancer and then one day later you announce a tour, I don't think the media is being tasteless to label it as a farewell tour. For the record I hope it's not so I made damn sure I got to a show in case it's my last Hip show. And if the band were to continue without Gord (which won't happen) it would not be The Hip.

Pow right in the kisser!
    I agree 110%
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

free to any home: my extra Gord Downie Coke Machine Glow cd. pm me your address and it's yours.

PM sent!
    Stoked about this.....

• RyanRyan Posts: 1,012
    Rumors of a hold on the arena in Buffalo in November, and Halifax. I've been in the, "more shows if Gord is up for it" camp pretty early after the announcement. Most people with his condition only live 18 months, however his doctor is currently treating another patient who is on his tenth year. My point being, this impacts everyone differently and you take it day-by-day. I think the band purposely scheduled Kingston as the last show of the tour in case this was all they could do. I wouldn't be surprised however if they did one-off shows (they've played on New Year's Eve a lot) or shorter tours. Even though the trek was a month, Gord has probably been sleeping in his own bed most nights from the London show onwards.
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
    RobbyD462 said:

PM sent!
    Stoked about this.....
    YOURS.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited August 2016

RobbyD462 said:

PM sent!
    Stoked about this.....
    YOURS.
    Bam your Awesome!

I was just looking through my ticket stubs, and realized I have seen the Hip only 6 full shows and their 2 song set at the Junos on Winnipeg. Thought I had seen them more than that.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I was just looking through my ticket stubs, and realized I have seen the Hip only 6 full shows and their 2 song set at the Junos on Winnipeg. Thought I had seen them more than that.

What the hell's your problem?

I've only seen them six times too. I've never passed on them in my hometown though. Should've travelled to Vancouver more now that I think about it.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

I was just looking through my ticket stubs, and realized I have seen the Hip only 6 full shows and their 2 song set at the Junos on Winnipeg. Thought I had seen them more than that.

I've only seen them six times too. I've never passed on them in my hometown though. Should've travelled to Vancouver more now that I think about it.
    there were many that I skipped, after looking at setlist fm. I skipped the We Are The Same tour, the In Violet Light tour (no idea why, I love that album), the Fully Completely anniversary tour, and the Henhouse tour. First time I saw them was in 95.

when they played The Forks for War Child in 2000, it was amazing. and it was free. I think something like 80,000 people were there. I have a boot of that show. on fire.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I was just looking through my ticket stubs, and realized I have seen the Hip only 6 full shows and their 2 song set at the Junos on Winnipeg. Thought I had seen them more than that.

there were many that I skipped, after looking at setlist fm. I skipped the We Are The Same tour, the In Violet Light tour (no idea why, I love that album), the Fully Completely anniversary tour, and the Henhouse tour. First time I saw them was in 95.

when they played The Forks for War Child in 2000, it was amazing. and it was free. I think something like 80,000 people were there. I have a boot of that show. on fire.
    I'm not a big fan of We Are The Same.

My favourite was the World Container tour. For whatever reason... they seemed to be really awesome that night.

The Fully Completely anniversary tour was actually fantastic. I think it was undervalued, honestly. Gord was really on his game for that show, and the setlists were great. Each show obviously had Fully Completely in order on it, but all the shows started and ended with several varied songs too. And the stage production of that tour was particularly cool.
  • PJ_Soul said:

The Fully Completely anniversary tour was actually fantastic. I think it was undervalued, honestly. Gord was really on his game for that show, and the setlists were great. Each show obviously had Fully Completely in order on it, but all the shows started and ended with several varied songs too. And the stage production of that tour was particularly cool.
    I loved it too.

My favourite was the World Container tour. For whatever reason... they seemed to be really awesome that night.
    My god. I was in line for beer when they came on. All i wanted to hear as lonely end of the rink. They ooened with it. I have never run to my seat so fast in my life.

Not a fan of WATS either. Although I really like one of the bonus tracks, Skeleton Park. Should have been on the album.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:

They played MTS Centre here. They were playing a 600 capacity CLUB in Minneapolis. I asked a buddy to go to minnie. He hummed and hawed. Didnt go. Big regret.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

My god. I was in line for beer when they came on. All i wanted to hear as lonely end of the rink. They ooened with it. I have never run to my seat so fast in my life.

Not a fan of WATS either. Although I really like one of the bonus tracks, Skeleton Park. Should have been on the album.

Lol.

The only time I heard Three Pistols I was in the can taking a leak. Ticked me off. I had no chance to get back to my seats. I just stood there thinking, "For f**ks sakes."
  • What doesn't get said enough is the fact that these guys were all high school buddies that formed and stayed together.

No guitar player kicked out because a better one could be had... no drummer booted out because he didn't want to rehearse... just a group of friends that likely had their issues, but worked through them privately and stayed together.
  • spnoonespnoone Posts: 625

What doesn't get said enough is the fact that these guys were all high school buddies that formed and stayed together.

No guitar player kicked out because a better one could be had... no drummer booted out because he didn't want to rehearse... just a group of friends that likely had their issues, but worked through them privately and stayed together.

Except for the sax player! Lol. Good thing. They could have turned out to be Canada's huey lewis and the news.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• What doesn't get said enough is the fact that these guys were all high school buddies that formed and stayed together.

Except for the sax player! Lol. Good thing. They could have turned out to be Canada's huey lewis and the news.
    I forgot about that guy.

You can never have too many Huey Lewis and the Newses.
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    I'll be tuning into the tv tonight, actually a little pumped for this. Tried for London tickets but got shut out.
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303

What doesn't get said enough is the fact that these guys were all high school buddies that formed and stayed together.

I forgot about that guy.

You can never have too many Huey Lewis and the Newses.
    That's funny, I'm going to see Huey Lewis and the News next Saturday....looking forward to it!

For topic integrity, I'm also looking forward to watching the concert tonight from the comfort of my living room. Also going to check out the Rich Terfry CBC Radio One special pre-show at 6pm.
  • They'd be okay. I don't mind them.