New Pearl Jam Album .. has been heard! :)

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
edited May 2009 in The Porch
Thanks for the early morning link, Mirella! :)

http://hearyoume3.blogspot.com/2009/05/ ... album.html

medium_pearl_jam_live_2%5B1%5D.jpg

Monday, May 18, 2009

I'm sat in a PR's hotel room at The Edgewater listening to the new Pearl Jam record - a release form I've just signed means that I can't tell you the song titles, while it doesn't even have a name yet. Yet what I can tell you, it's that it's ever, ever so punchy. Eddies vocals sound more honeyed than raspy and there's a ballad stuck right in the middle that's just him and a guitar, but is absolutely drenched in strings. There's hardly any guitar leads either - personally I'm a fan of that anti-alt-rock thing* and I'd like to see them bust some more of that stuff out. But as collections of garage-y rock go, it's not like you miss them...

( *What I mean by that, is that I never cared much about all the accusations that Pearl Jam were corporate cock rock - I always liked them because they were corporate cock rock (not that a band who've spent all but two of their years trying to sabotage their status as one of the biggest rock bands on the face of the planet could be described thus anymore). Just as some of my favourite music is righteous indie rock - Fugazi, Beat Happening, Bikini Kill - some of my favourite music - AC/DC, Rage Against The Machine, Guns 'N Roses - is corporate cock rock. It's a genre I most definitely enjoy...)

Y'know, it's hard to make sense of records when you've only heard them once, and the view from the hotel window (sea, seabirds, boats and far off mountains) is kinda distracting - I wonder what it'll sound like on a wet, shitty morning in east London? But while I'd like to hear it again - aye, first impressions are promising.

Posted by James McMahon at 1:48 AM

:shock:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    Duh! :o
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    einatshaul wrote:
    Duh! :o

+1
    Wait, who the hell is this person and why does HE get dibbs??? He doesn't write that well at all!!!
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    einatshaul wrote:
    Wait, who the hell is this person and why does HE get dibbs??? He doesn't write that well at all!!!

Not sure! But those Eggs Benedicts at The Edgewater Inn, in Seattle, look amazing! drool.gif
  • pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    Just gimme some lip!!!!!!!!!!!

Conan news was a great curveball for the record
    Sorry, I'm a little pissed. Maybe I should write a music blog.
    Here is my first post: I am eating eggs sunny side up with tuna on the side.
    Can I stop over at HQ next month and give it a spin Ed?
    Jesus...
    :roll:
  • OffHeGoes132OffHeGoes132 Posts: 594
    edited May 2009
    Not to be too negative here, but I'm really not believing the source of the information here. Every time a new album is on the horizon, no matter who the band is, there always seems to be someone who has "officially" heard it, but cannot verify anything due to contract requirements. Again, not trying to sound like a prick, but I need more to go on before I buy-in to this.
    Post edited by OffHeGoes132 on
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    Not to be too negative here, but I'm really not believing the source of the information here. Every time a new album is on the horizon, no matter who the band is, there always seems to be someone who has "officially" heard it, but cannot verify anything due to contract requirements. Again, not trying to sound like a prick, but I need more to go on before I buy-in to this.

This was posted yesterday. This guy is an editor at NME, an actual (and fairly respected) British music magazine. He's legit.

Also, what are we not believing here? It's not like he really spilled the beans on much of anything. All he did was offer a few generic comments. It's not like he wrote, "Matt Cameron sings on 6 of 13 tracks" or anything like that.

God, you people are so quick to pooh-pooh everything, really for no reason.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    I am curious if he heard all the songs, or just 5-6 of them so far. They may still be working out which ones are going to be on the final albulm.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • AHHHHHHHHHHH

am i the only one who doesnt want to know anything about the new album???

i just want it to be a suprise when it comes out officially!

i love the hype but i want to hear it properly and itll just drive me crazy!
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    yeah i don't wan't to know anything at all untill i listen to it in my own space & time , not to many leads ahhhhh i hope the whole album is not like that ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    SWEET!! :D
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • OffHeGoes132OffHeGoes132 Posts: 594

This was posted yesterday. This guy is an editor at NME, an actual (and fairly respected) British music magazine. He's legit.

Also, what are we not believing here? It's not like he really spilled the beans on much of anything. All he did was offer a few generic comments. It's not like he wrote, "Matt Cameron sings on 6 of 13 tracks" or anything like that.

God, you people are so quick to pooh-pooh everything, really for no reason.

Ah okay, I wasn't really sure how legit this was. I only had a chance to breeze through the article right quick and perhaps I posted too quickly. I guess I was more caught by surprised that someone actually heard something finished considering it's so early in the game. But I'm glad to hear that they're closer to finishing the album. Again, I really wasn't trying to be a prick. Damn dude, take it easy.
  • eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    Whats that you say? pearl jam fans complaining about something??

what are the chances!!
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    I am curious if he heard all the songs, or just 5-6 of them so far. They may still be working out which ones are going to be on the final albulm.

This is a great point. I wouldn't put it past the band at all to deliver a list of current candidates and then finally change things up for the final release. Can't wait til it comes out, but boys... lets get back to the million B-sides released with each single, alright? We know you've got them. ;)
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • deserteddotsedeserteddotse Posts: 1,276
    demetrios wrote:
    There's hardly any guitar leads either

Very unsatisfying... :evil: I want more Mike...
    Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the Universe...
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    eldarion75 wrote:
    Whats that you say? pearl jam fans complaining about something??

what are the chances!!

We want album news! Not THAT album news!
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    demetrios wrote:

Mike is saving that for HIS solo record :)
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    demetrios wrote:

Means nothing right now. There were a few early "reviews" of Avocado that said the same thing but there are tons of leads there.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONE DAY CLOSER TO THE NEW ALBUM AND TO ME HEARING IT
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • CardinalCardinal Posts: 479
    Music is subjective...I will form my own opinion thanks...cuz this one is pretty poor and vague....
    Eddie Vedder Solo Tour Toronto Aug 9, 2008
    Eddie Vedder Solo Tour Albany NY June 9, 2009
    Pearl Jam Toronto Aug 21, 2009
    Pearl Jam Chicago Aug 23, 2009
    Pearl Jam Chicago Aug 24, 2009
    Pearl Jam Buffalo May 10, 2010
    Pearl Jam New York MSG1 May 20, 2010
    Pearl Jam New York MSG2 May 21, 2010
    Go Cards Go!
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    einatshaul wrote:
    Jesus...

Why are you pissed?
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,330
    I repeat my earlier statements:

This album will be out sooner than you think.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
    Danimal wrote:
    einatshaul wrote:
    Jesus...

Why are you pissed?
    I thought the same thing....take a breath already...its not the end of the world or even fact....so why pent yourself up like shes does,,,,I dont really get it.
    Go Cards Go!
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    Danimal wrote:
    einatshaul wrote:
    Jesus...

Why are you pissed?
    Apparently she doesn't understand why he was more fit to hear the new album before her ... :?:
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    I repeat my earlier statements:

This album will be out sooner than you think.
    we will see this album right before the August shows 100%

I see the Aug shows being Ten/New album
    Go Cards Go!
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    We want album news! Not THAT album news![/quote]
    I just want my christmas single! :twisted:
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    I just wee'd a little... :oops:

This has made my day :mrgreen:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    AHHHHHHHHHHH

am i the only one who doesnt want to know anything about the new album???

i just want it to be a suprise when it comes out officially!

i love the hype but i want to hear it properly and itll just drive me crazy!

agreed!

i thought the band was still waiting on the final mix and such in any case? so what may've been heard, definitely not the final cut. at least from snippets i've gleamed from all over the board from various bandmember's comments. i mean, if it was all DONE...i cannot imagine why a late fall - as per mike - release. wonder if it will come sooner.....?
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,294
    Apparently he interviewed the band yesterday. Says on his site he will have details soon. Sounds like the guys are doing media for the new record this week. We should be getting news real soon by the sounds of it.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09