IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
edited May 2009 in The Porch
Did your mother used to enjoy painting? Or perhaps she talks of wishing to take up on painting? Sign her up with 10c and encourage her to join the painting contest!

3522726373_49cc31757f_m.jpg

I chose this picture because mom was 14 – she did her hair and made her own dress. It also, I think, showed some sides of her I’ve known all my life: humble, loving, forgiving, giving, to name a few…

My mother is an exceptional human being – she is truly a genius and gifted. Just about anything she did, it was incredible – whether it was fixing complicated things or writing songs, poetry, stories, drawing, painting, sewing, or making something out of nothing or from scratch – which she often did when I was growing up because we were poor. She also could play any instrument she wanted to and taught herself. In other words, there was nothing she couldn’t do. She could easily kick EV’s ass at every scramble game. ;)

My favorite instrument she played was the piano – I was very mesmerized by her fast fingers and the emotions on her face. I loved sitting next to her and watching her play. And I loved that picture above the piano wherever we lived – it said “Red Rita” with a dressy woman with red hair in hat. The earliest I could remember was being about 2 ½ years old and at that time, she was 19.

Yes, they dared to kick out even the genius and gifted girls in high school for having babies back in the ‘70s. I was born ten days after her 17th birthday.

As a child with wild imaginations, the long hours mom was away from home during the week was her performing shows for people who chanted “Red Rita!” when she came on the stage to play the piano and sing. Sometimes I’d throw in the Allman Brothers stopping by after a long drive to ask for her permission to write a song named after me. Because my mother was unselfish and giving, she’d say sure – as long as it’s played on the radio all the time.

:mrgreen: Of course, that didn’t really happen. That picture on the wall wasn’t really her, but Rita Hayworth. She didn’t perform shows, but worked 12-14 hours a day at a factory. The Allman Brothers, of course, didn’t write a song about me – mom heard the song on the radio while considering another name for me because somebody she knew whose baby Jennifer had died.

But still – even after working 12-14 hours, mom always invested time in sewing dresses, Halloween costumes, and making Christmas gifts with her bare hands. She also loved to draw and paint.

Unfortunately, there is not a single picture or video of my mother playing any instrument – especially on the piano where she played the most. Over the years, her drawings and paintings, as well as her other works, have been lost, misplaced, or damaged.

As she grew older with more changes and more responsibilities, she stopped playing music or drawing/painting. She is currently battling arthritis and lupus.

But on Mother’s Day, I called her at her store, where I knew she’d be – it’s a place where she’s finally found something she really enjoys doing for a living, and told her of my idea of signing her up with Ten Club so that she’d enter the painting contest because I wanted to see what she could do.

She paused and thanked me for the vote of confidence, but said she was very inspired because it had been so many years since she had painted. And she is up for the challenge!

I’ve got my mom down...have yours? ;)
JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
EV: It's your band.
~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PJ Fan est. 1990PJ Fan est. 1990 Posts: 1,788
    little late on the mother's day thing...oh well...all in good thought...

one question...what painting contest? where do i sign?

also another bennerfit to your mother joining 10c...you can easily get 4 10C tickets to all the shows! 2 from your account and two from your mom's account
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    lol I was watching unplugged dvd and she watched the whole thing.
    Probably checking out my obsession, she hears them but never sees them.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    edited May 2009
    little late on the mother's day thing...oh well...all in good thought...

It's never too late to make it a Mother's Day for your mother. It's a Mother's Day everyday with her own kids!

one question...what painting contest? where do i sign?

It is from the Deep contest posted by someone here on the board...once you get the mag, you'll get detailed information on how to enter - from what I recalled, it was a canvas painting that has to be done in 8x10. Up to three entries per member.

The winner will receive the credit from Ten Club and possible little cash if they do decide to use it in the future.
    also another bennerfit to your mother joining 10c...you can easily get 4 10C tickets to all the shows! 2 from your account and two from your mom's account

I wasn't thinking about the tickets at all...because my husband is also a 10c member and we always use either one of our accounts for a show.

However, you gave me another idea! :twisted:

Mom never travels out of state for pleasure...and it'd be really cool if I brought her tickets for a PJ show in California! She has never been there and joked that she'd hitchhike there if she lost her house and business.

Anyway...I could imagine her going what the hell when she receives an email confirmation on the tickets from 10c! And emails me asking for an explanation... and I'd go oh....I guess you're going to California to check out PJ. :mrgreen: If she objects, then I'd say those tickets are a waste because they are non-refundable and she has to be the one picking up the tickets!

Next I know she'd be concerned about her store... can't afford to close it or hire someone else to cover her store. I'd be like mom... Bobby and I are both unemployed and we'll be more than happy to run your store for a few days! It'd look good on our resumes, too... :P

Any more excuses, mom? Didn't think so... get on the plane and go enjoy the PJ show...and the ocean! :mrgreen:

It has been eons since mom has gone to a concert... and I know that she did see The Who live once before I was born.

Thanks for the bright idea, PJ Fan est. 1998! :twisted: :mrgreen:
    Post edited by IamMine on
    ~Q Magazine

Surprise your mom and sign her up with 10c... :mrgreen:
    ~Q Magazine

• gregoryieldgregoryield Posts: 274
    Yea, my mom just signed herself up for the 10C. So funny.

Funnier is the fact that she knew I was going to be home around the Chicago shows and suggested we go. So of course we are. Shows 32 and 33 for me, but probably 12 and 13 for her (the latter being FAR more impressive, inho).
    PJx69
    EVx11
    Yea, my mom just signed herself up for the 10C. So funny.

Funnier is the fact that she knew I was going to be home around the Chicago shows and suggested we go. So of course we are. Shows 32 and 33 for me, but probably 12 and 13 for her (the latter being FAR more impressive, inho).

Nice! :D

I hope my mom would enjoy a PJ show as much as she enjoys listening to my husband doing some of their covers on his guitar and singing.

Uh oh... he might lose a fan... ;)

That's really cool that you and your mom share similar passions to see PJ so often!
    ~Q Magazine

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    IamMine wrote:

Surprise your mom and sign her up with 10c... :mrgreen:

She is 59 lol
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

She is 59 lol

So...?

My mother is 54 years old and nothing stops her from doing what she wants to do. :)

When she was diagnosed with Lupus back in late 80's, the doctor told her to take it easy...but she didn't listen to him, other than changing her lifestyle such as eating habits, but she didn't stop living and dwell on her disease.

9 or 19 29 or 59 or 69... they all can enjoy PJ amongst other things. :mrgreen:

Get your mom in 10c and encourage her to join the painting contest!
    ~Q Magazine