Options

Movie Threads?

Comments

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    intodeep wrote:
    i DO look forward to the new johnny depp - as john dilinger - flick, definitely looks promising, and a great cast including christian bale and marion cotillaird(sp?).

That looks like it will be AWESOME.

Isn't it a Michael Mann film? Usually anything he does is good.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    I enjoyed Seven Pounds w/Will Smith
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    justam wrote:
    Kat wrote:
    I know there are people who read here for movie reviews. :) You don't have to be verbose unless you like to talk. :) Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down would do too. Or maybe no one is going?

So many good movies this summer...anyone? anyone?

:ugeek:
    xo

I saw the new Star Trek movie yesterday. Thumbs Up. :D
    +1
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I don't go to too many movies. The last one I saw was Observe and Report which imo was a piece of shit.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I thought that was so shallow... all about him and all his friends blowing his own trumpet. I think if you think it's a cool thing to do you might be impressed by it... I'm a huge fan of the adventure genre and that was just dull compared to most of the books I've read or documentaries I've seen.

Yeah, it wasn't great by any stretch. Just a performance artist doing his thing. It was still quite interesting though. There aren't many people like him in the world.
    Good point... and that's why I said 'if you think it's a cool thing to do you'd probably enjoy it'. I'm kinda 'meh' about it so it didn't really fascinate me... but I can see how it might.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    I found myself to get really choked up during two scenes in Star Trek. I won't spoil them for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but they were incredibly powerful. I'm a mid level Trekkie, I love the original show but don't have them memorized, I loved the 2nd, 3rd,4th,6th and 8th films and haven't had much use for anything of the other series except an occasional TNG episode. I think they did justice to the characters and really constructed a great prequel that was exciting. They really messed with some stuff and have shown us that nothing or no one is safe. That's what sucked about the star wars prequels, you knew exactly where everyone would end up at the end of trilogy.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    I just saw - Is Anbody There? last night, and it was really was a beautiful film, was VERY like ike big fish and slumdog millionaire. Whatever the genre is called.
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    I BrisK I wrote:
    I just saw - Is Anbody There? last night, and it was really was a beautiful film, was VERY like ike big fish and slumdog millionaire. Whatever the genre is called.
    cheesy? ;):D

I jest... I really liked big fish. Slumdog was just alright.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    I'm usually good for at least a couple of movie threads per month..but post Oscar season, the movies really tend to be shitty at best. Haven't had the urge to see any of the crap that's currently playing. The last movie I saw in the theater was 'Taken,' which is a really good mindlessly entertaining action flick..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    intodeep wrote:
    X-Men:Wolverine Origins- Thumbs Up
    I enjoyed this although it seems i'm in the minority. I really did not see what was so bad about it. It was not as good of a superhero movie as Ironman or Batman, but it was far from a punisher, elektra, or daredevil movie too. Lots of good action. The plot could have been developed a little better, but i thought it was worth seeing.

Star Trek- Thumbs Up
    This one was really good! I'm far from a "trekie" and i enjoyed this a lot. I do like my fair share of sci fi/fantasy, but i think most who are not die hards for the genre would enjoy it. It is an action packed film with a strong enough script and plot that you don't feel like you are on a all out action joy ride although at times it borders on that as the movie is fast paced.
    I agree!
    I was always a Trek fan though.
  • Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    The Champ wrote:
    The last movie I saw in the theater was 'Taken,' which is a really good mindlessly entertaining action flick..
    i thought about going to follow pearl jam around europe this summer with my best friend, someone who's adventurous, loves talking to strangers. then i remember watching that movie and said HELLL NOOOOOO!!! my best friend is a couchsurfer. i was a bit skeptical about going, seeing as i have no money but she assured me she would pay for me. but of course i'd have to do things her way. and she couchsurfs, did i mention that? she doesn't have a mansion in paris or whatever, she sleeps in strangers' homes! and wanted ME to go with her! FUCK THAT! :lol: when i get a bit older, maybe have a boyfriend ready to protect me (some CIA training wouldn't hurt) and actually have money, then i will. i'd follow U2 as well :D
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    i DO look forward to the new johnny depp - as john dilinger - flick, definitely looks promising, and a great cast including christian bale and marion cotillaird(sp?).

That looks like it will be AWESOME.

Isn't it a Michael Mann film? Usually anything he does is good.

Except Miami Vice.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I went to the cinema here in China a few weeks ago and watched a Christian Slater & Bradd Dourff (Is that how it's spelt? Like I give a shit?) film. I was taken there by some friends. It was dubbed in Chinese. I thought that maybe there'd be some English subtitles, but there weren't. And I was glad. The film was a pile of shit, and I think I'd have enjoyed it even less if I could have heard the crap they were saying on screen. I didn't even know the name of the movie, and still don't. It was one of those movies where you can see that the director is just making it up as he goes along.

I remember watching and thinking 'How much of a money-whore do you need to be to agree to act in a film like this?? I mean, how can anyone ever take Christian Slater and the other fella seriously ever again?

In fact, if anyone want's to go and watch some stupid, alien, sci-fi, tough-guy action movie then I recommend watching it dubbed in Chinese. I think you may enjoy it more. It adds a certain something.

Edit: On a side note, if anyone ever gets the chance to watch an American western movie dubbed in Chinese, then do. The sight of cowboys in stetsons speaking Chinese is hilarious.
  • Options
    strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    One of the best Westerns ever - Tears of the Black Tiger. Thai western, fantastic!
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    I've been on a movie binge this week and had a surprising amount of success with my choices.

Before Sunrise/Before Sunset- Had never seen either of them, so I watched them both back to back. Parts of it were kind of over-the-top hipster and full of angst. But overall I thought it was very good and very touching without being insincere.

Thank You For Smoking- This movie was awesome and hilarious. Aaron Eckhart's character might be my new role model.

Jackie Brown- Possibly Tarantino's best movie, don't know why it's so overlooked among his films. Great performances and acting, a killer heist plot, his usual classic dark humor. Samuel L Jackson has never been netter.
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I've been on a movie binge this week and had a surprising amount of success with my choices.

Before Sunrise/Before Sunset- Had never seen either of them, so I watched them both back to back. Parts of it were kind of over-the-top hipster and full of angst. But overall I thought it was very good and very touching without being insincere.

Thank You For Smoking- This movie was awesome and hilarious. Aaron Eckhart's character might be my new role model.

Jackie Brown- Possibly Tarantino's best movie, don't know why it's so overlooked among his films. Great performances and acting, a killer heist plot, his usual classic dark humor. Samuel L Jackson has never been netter.

You know what? I agree with you on the last point. I love Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs but Jackie Brown is amazing. Certainly Tarantino's best dialouge and the pacing is absolutely perfect.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430

ak-47......when you absolutely, positively, have to kill every motha fucka around.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    anyone see "Away We Go"?

It was light-hearted for the most part - it's a different pace from all these summer blockbusters and something nice to see on a summers night ...
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976

where have you been? :P
    all excellent flicks.....

going to see public enemies on monday - yay!

polaris....good to hear, it does look interesting. overall, i find summer blockbuster season lackluster at best. the fall usually has fare more to my liking. i alreadydid add away we go to our netflix save queue but nice to read someone who saw it and enjoyed it.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    anyone see "Away We Go"?

It was light-hearted for the most part - it's a different pace from all these summer blockbusters and something nice to see on a summers night ...

I saw it a few days ago. I loved the relationship between the two leads,but I thougt the people they visited were quirky to the point of borderline annoying. However, once they got to montreal, the movie became one of the most profound,moving film going experiences I have ever had. The last 45 minutes elevate it from pretty good to a masterpiece. I had tears in my eyes at the end.
  • Options
    Woody Allen's new film 'Whatever Works" was pretty effing good, too. I laughed my ass off through most of it, and I loved the idea of a guy who falls for a chick after she starts spouting his philosophies. I hate to admit it, but I also had a blast at Transformers. Terrible script, but it delivers what it promises--Robots effing each other up. Except for the black sterotype robots. they sucked.
  • Options
    illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    watched the Bank Job for the 2nd time the other day... so intrigued it's based on true events..

Jason Statham - yeh :) *insert thumbs up*
    wah
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,358
    witch hunt - thumbs up !!
  • Options
    Public Enemies was very disappointing!

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Hey Kat,

What movies have you seen recently? Recommendations?

:)

yeah people who start threads but don't offer up their opinions first ummmm well they ummmm ;) OOPS

i saw "the genius of lenny breau" recently

he's a brilliant guitar player, who died tragically before his time, and um he's "messy"(per leonard cohen)

good summary clip
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9SvTtaQLC4
  • Options
    strummers wrote:

I agree. Bruno was so funny I couldn't breathe at certain points!
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687

Come on, you can't be serious saying this might be Tarantino's best movie.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    Transformers is awful. Even the action is a mess.

Saw Harry Potter 6 last night. Pretty good, but I hated the way they bleached everything out. It looked like Minority Report and every Spielberg film after. I would still recommend it and I didn't even see the climax because my son got scared so I took him out.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    strummers wrote:

I missed a lot of dialog in Public Enemies because of a woman coughing in a strange way behind me the whole 2 hours.

Bruno was funnier than Borat! (or, less cringing)
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    CJMST3K wrote:
    strummers wrote:

I missed a lot of dialog in Public Enemies because of a woman coughing in a strange way behind me the whole 2 hours.

Bruno was funnier than Borat! (or, less cringing)

You didn't miss much!