Options

Movie Threads?

KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
edited October 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I know there are people who read here for movie reviews. :) You don't have to be verbose unless you like to talk. :) Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down would do too. Or maybe no one is going?

So many good movies this summer...anyone? anyone?

:ugeek:
xo
Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    i'll let ya know as soon as angels and demons comes out kat ;) i've been looking forward to this movie for a while, i read the book and loved it so hopefully i'll like the movie as well!
    the only things i've seen so far were x-men and fired up. both had so many cliche things (x-men had that slo-mo walking away from something that's about to blow up and does, fired up of course the whole two boys want to do a lot of chicks then one of them actually likes a girl but it somehow blows up in his face until the end when he redeems himself) but they were still entertaining. besides, anything with half naked (and sometimes all naked *drool*) hugh jackman is awesome in my book! :twisted:
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    Already a thread somewhere, but Let The Right One In is well worth a look!

If you're after something to rent - not exactly new - but would very highly recommend Dead Man's Shoes!

I could be on all day recommending good movies!

A friend completed a survey on the top movies of the 2000s last year - some great movies in there - will see if I can hunt it out!
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I heard from our nephew that Anvil is good, definitely worth watching. It doesn't open here until 5/29 and isn't playing everywhere though. :)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1157605/
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    x-men..........thumbs down
    star trek.......thumbs up

terminator/salvation........will be a thumbs up
    gi joe..........................will be a thumbs up
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,697
    terminator/salvation........will be a thumbs up
    transformers 2 .. will be thumbs up
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    X-Men:Wolverine Origins- Thumbs Up
    I enjoyed this although it seems i'm in the minority. I really did not see what was so bad about it. It was not as good of a superhero movie as Ironman or Batman, but it was far from a punisher, elektra, or daredevil movie too. Lots of good action. The plot could have been developed a little better, but i thought it was worth seeing.

Star Trek- Thumbs Up
    This one was really good! I'm far from a "trekie" and i enjoyed this a lot. I do like my fair share of sci fi/fantasy, but i think most who are not die hards for the genre would enjoy it. It is an action packed film with a strong enough script and plot that you don't feel like you are on a all out action joy ride although at times it borders on that as the movie is fast paced.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I'm not a big fan of summer flicks but the new Tarantino will most definitely be thumbs up!!!! :D
    http://inglouriousbasterds-movie.com/
    I think it's being screened at Cannes later this month and world wide in August.

I'm not of the fall art films kinda guy...sadly, there wasn't too many dark comedies last year. Well, not one that I was impressed with anyways... :|
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    if i've seen it, i'll review it.
    x-men origins: wolverine - 7/10
    star trek - 9/10
    inglorious basterds - ?/10
    gi joe - ?/10
    transformers - ?/10
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Xmen Origins : Wolverine

Reviewed by 6 and 8 year old boys - 10/10 Best Movie Ever
    Reviewed by 40 something father of said boys - 3/10
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    Wolverine was just plain OK
    Star Trek was really good
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    jecicajecica Posts: 954
    Kat wrote:
    I know there are people who read here for movie reviews. :) You don't have to be verbose unless you like to talk. :) Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down would do too. Or maybe no one is going?

xo

Can we have thumbs up/down emoticons?
    Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.... (Voltaire)
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Can we have thumbs up/down emoticons?[/quote]

thumbs-up-clipart1.gif
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    Terminator Salvation is the only thing that I'm really excited for this summer.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    pearljammerpearljammer Posts: 237
    I saw Star Trek, and while I really enjoyed it, part of me thinks it was a little too much flash, not enough substance. Many of the main characters did not have very much dialog, especially McCoy and Scotty who were both extremely well cast. A lot of people will disagree with me and say it is an awesome reboot of the franchise and that too much story would take away from the frenetic pace of special effects, and I say, go right ahead, but I love my more sophisticated, nerdy Trek.

I'm most looking forward to Terminator Salvation, but I'll be at the theatre for Transformers 2, GIJoe, and surprisingly the new Harry Potter looks awesome!
    EvenFLOW PsYcHo #29

~ is your Pearl Jam cup half empty, or 1/2 Full?
  • Options
    jecicajecica Posts: 954
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Can we have thumbs up/down emoticons?

thumbs-up-clipart1.gif[/quote]

My lazy ass wants to click and icon :D
    Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.... (Voltaire)
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    Kat wrote:

xo

I saw the new Star Trek movie yesterday. Thumbs Up. :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,233
    beat it kat!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    ChrissybChrissyb Posts: 122
    wolfbear wrote:
    I heard from our nephew that Anvil is good, definitely worth watching. It doesn't open here until 5/29 and isn't playing everywhere though. :)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1157605/

I loved the Anvil movie..prior to the movie I've never heard of the band..but I saw the guys on VH1's That Metal Show so we went to see it ..
    While watching the movie you (me) feel some many different emotions, from embarassment, to laughter, to your heart breaking for them.

THUMBS UP!
    **find what you love, love what you find**
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    edited May 2009
    I am looking forward to "the hangover". Everytime I see Mike Tyson rocking out to Phil Collins, it makes me laugh.
    Post edited by pjsteelerfan on
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Apart from 'Milk' and 'The Reader' which I thought were both very good - Milk's a great film - I've been trawling through this highly regarded list of 100 of the best films put together by the Guardian's long serving film critic Derek Malcolm:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2001/jan ... eatures111

A lot of them are very old and obscure, and somewhat boring, but a good percentage of them are brilliant. It's a good place to venture into some new territory at any rate.

I forgot to mention that 'Che' - Part 1 is really good. Benicio Del Toro does a fucking good job of playing Guevara. It's a long film but it seemed to go by in a flash, which is always a good sign.

Also, I watched the recently released French gangster film 'Mesrine' - http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/oct ... ine-biopic - starring Vincent Cassel. Another very good movie if you're into gangster movies. It's set in the 70's and they've done a great job of looking the part and of creating a realistic 70's back-drop. The movies in two parts. I've only seen the first one.

Edit: I also watched 'Man on Wire' the other week. It's a documentary about a French fella who walked a tightrope between the world trade centers. It charts his early life as a street artist - mime, juggling, tightrope walking e.t.c. and his early feats of tightrope walking between the towers of Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, and over the Sydney Harbour Bridge. It's really just about an individual who loves to entertain, challenge himself, and take risks. I recommend it.
  • Options
    Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    beat it kat!

LMAO!
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    finnanniefinnannie Posts: 1,186
    justam wrote:

I saw the new Star Trek movie yesterday. Thumbs Up. :D

I saw it today! It was great! :D "Live long and prosper."
    8-)
    Won't let the light escape from me.
    Won't let the darkness swallow me.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    haven't seen anything in the movie theatre truly worth mentioning as of late. last flick we saw in the theatre was state of play. it was good, but really, more likely DVD-rental worthy. there ARE a lot of interesting movies coming out, tho i don't think for summer but more than likely autumn. the summer blockbuster season really isn't my time for movies. the fall usually puts out higher caliber films imo. i DO look forward to the new johnny depp - as john dilinger - flick, definitely looks promising, and a great cast including christian bale and marion cotillaird(sp?).

thought the past year has been a pretty decent one for movies and we see a LOT. milk, revolutionary road, the reader, the curious case of benjamin button.....there were quite a few we really enjoyed and thought truly well-done. i even really loved he's just not that into you :P for mindless chick-flick fare. :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I am looking forward to "the hangover". Everytime I see Mike Tyson rocking out to Phil Collins, it makes me laugh.

I know me too !

When he drops the dude its funny
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    I saw the new Star Trek and enjoyed it quite a bit. The Wrath Of Khan is still may favorite ST film though.

I want to see Anvil. I've only heard good things about it and I am a heavy metal fan.

I'm interested in seeing a film called The Hurt Locker which gets a limited US release in June. It's about an Army squad in Iraq that works to defuse bombs. It has a good cast and is directed by Kathryn Bigelow. Its IMDb page is below.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0887912/
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Blockbuster season! I've already seen Wolverine which is mediocre at best, and to be honest totally unnecessary as an addition to the series. It's not as bad as The Last Stand though. Again, there was an over abundance of extraneous characters who weren't needed. And now we are guaranteed Gambit will never get a proper look in on the big screen. If they continue with the X-Men series they should delve into some characters who haven't been mentioned yet and restart to an extent. They can still keep it within the universe if they do this. There's enough material there to go on for a long time. Unfortunately the 3rd and 4th installments have hijacked a great number of important characters.
    Saw Star Trek the other day too. Really cool action sci-fi. Nice reboot, I agree to an extent with the above poster who said there wasn't enough of Scotty or bones, but it must be understood that this is the beginning of a new series and is really just an introduction. Too many characters tend to spoil blockbusters. I direct your attention to Wolverine, The Last Stand, and Spiderman 3. too packed full of crap that wasn't needed. Star Trek got the balance right and will claim new fans for the series. My main complaint is the villain is a non-entity. He needed a bit more.
    I'm a huge Terminator fan, and I was looking forward to Salvation, but I can't help but think it'll be far too toned down now that it has a PG-13 rating. Terminator was never meant for all ages. There's nothing I hate more than Goddamn studio interference, and this is obviously what's going on here.
    Transformers 2 should be a bit of fun. I'm looking forward to that.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Hey Kat,

What movies have you seen recently? Recommendations?

:)
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    Byrnzie wrote:

Edit: I also watched 'Man on Wire' the other week. It's a documentary about a French fella who walked a tightrope between the world trade centers. It charts his early life as a street artist - mime, juggling, tightrope walking e.t.c. and his early feats of tightrope walking between the towers of Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, and over the Sydney Harbour Bridge. It's really just about an individual who loves to entertain, challenge himself, and take risks. I recommend it.
    I thought that was so shallow... all about him and all his friends blowing his own trumpet. I think if you think it's a cool thing to do you might be impressed by it... I'm a huge fan of the adventure genre and that was just dull compared to most of the books I've read or documentaries I've seen.

Doubt was one of the best films I've seen this year... the acting is just phenomenal.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    edited May 2009
    I thought that was so shallow... all about him and all his friends blowing his own trumpet. I think if you think it's a cool thing to do you might be impressed by it... I'm a huge fan of the adventure genre and that was just dull compared to most of the books I've read or documentaries I've seen.

Yeah, it wasn't great. Just a performance artist doing his thing. It was still quite interesting though. There aren't many people like him in the world.
    Post edited by Byrnzie on
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    i DO look forward to the new johnny depp - as john dilinger - flick, definitely looks promising, and a great cast including christian bale and marion cotillaird(sp?).

That looks like it will be AWESOME.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22