something that needs to be said

Comments

• surforiasurforia SoCal Posts: 346
    Get_Right wrote:
    spend two hours with me and it will cost you $700 and you wont have a good time :lol:

PJ does make an effort to keep prices down
    try to buy a bruce, neil, who, Van Morrison, eagles, u2, allman brothers, steely dan or dead ticket for less than $100
    you cant

How about Metallica or Green Day? 55 bucks. Also, as someone already said, none of the bands you just mentioned ever campaigned (or testified in front of the U.S. Senate) against Ticketmaster, the "corporate giant," as EV said.
    9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 8/18/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 4/28/03, 6/22/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/2/04, 10/5/04, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/28/06, 6/20/08, 6/25/08, 10/27/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/22/16, 9/26/21, 10/1/21, 10/2/21, 5/3/22, 5/6/22
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    OK, so the original post began as a tired rant about the cost of tickets, which have been steadily rising with each tour. I rolled my eyes.

But then the original post went into some rant about why they are even touring, when they have no record to promote?

What. The. Fuck.

I've seen some crazy complaints on this board before. But this one wins. Congratulations!
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
    surforia wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    spend two hours with me and it will cost you $700 and you wont have a good time :lol:

try to buy a bruce, neil, who, Van Morrison, eagles, u2, allman brothers, steely dan or dead ticket for less than $100
    you cant

How about Metallica or Green Day? 55 bucks. Also, as someone already said, none of the bands you just mentioned ever campaigned (or testified in front of the U.S. Senate) against Ticketmaster, the "corporate giant," as EV said.

You guys need to get over this Ticketmaster shit. That was 15 years ago. They haven't been before Congress recently bitching about ticket prices, have they? Are they bound to sell $20 tickets for the rest of their lives, because of some youthful crusade they took up in their 20s?

Pearl Jam just isn't THAT band anymore. Get over it. Deal with it. The mid-90s aren't coming back.
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    this didn't need to be said

:roll:
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    edited May 2009
    Gmoney wrote:
    normally this type of post bothers me and I can't read more than a few lines, but i have to say I agree with a lot of the things you said...
    I agree somewhat, too.

I think after reading some of the other replies, it's not that the prices have gone up (inflation happens :roll: ) or that people grow up and priorities change that has me discouraged. What I think it is, is that the band used to be upfront on it's ideals, outspoken and true to themselves about things (which I absolutely love). I'm definitely not saying that they aren't like this anymore, but the fact is, we don't hear from them any more, and this is what I find disappointing. I feel we don't know what they're thinking about (other than Stone's environmental efforts, which I applaud) or what they're focusing on anymore, and that they've become somewhat detached or distant from us fans whereas they were more engaging in the past. I know they're happy politically, but I'd love to hear about what's on their minds lately, like we used to. That's all. I still love them and defend them and will pay anything to see them, I just feel a little distant lately.
    Post edited by Jeanwah on
    this didn't need to be said

:roll:

End of thread, right there.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    surforia wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:

you cant

metallica is 71.50 before fees
    and green day is charging $50 at small clubs, not large arenas.
    there are few bands that play arenas and charge less than $100
    MMJ, Foos and PJ are all that I know of
    And just because PJ challenged TM policies, that does not change the economic reality.
    Plus I would guess that PJ probably buys carbon credits when they tour-making the tour more expensive than other bands that dont
  • surforiasurforia SoCal Posts: 346
    Get_Right wrote:
    surforia wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:

you cant

Incorrect sir. My Green Day tix are 51.00 each in the pit for the Spectrum (not exactly a club last time I checked). My Metallica tickets were about 60 at the Wachovia Center. Metallica is 54 bucks at MSG before fees: http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1D004 ... rcatid=200

And your point about what they did in the 90's... they testified, under oath, in front of the U.S. Senate, for god's sake!!!!! That's about as hardcore as it gets... I don't care if it's ten years ago, that's an extreme swing. It's be like EV suddenly turning into Ted Nugent, buying a gun, and voting Republican.
    9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 8/18/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 4/28/03, 6/22/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/2/04, 10/5/04, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/28/06, 6/20/08, 6/25/08, 10/27/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/22/16, 9/26/21, 10/1/21, 10/2/21, 5/3/22, 5/6/22
  • voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    I spend between $500 to $1000 per ticket for the Stones when I see them......Pearl Jam is essentially giving them away, and great seats to boot. Living near Chicago, I can't take my wife out to dinner for under $125 unless I go to Chilis.....and if we bring our two boys...forget it. I'm going to the White Sox Game tonight....an event that happens 81 times a year, every year....I paid about $50 for my ticket, and it will end up being about a $150 night.

While I respect what is happening in the economy right now, it is hard to sympathize with the fans who feel a sense of entitlement. There are far too many posts where people don't like the onsale announcments, ticket prices, seating assignments, venues, etc. I bought four mother's day cards yesterday....total of twenty bucks. I didn't have the employees of the store jumping over themselves to make sure I was catered to and satisfied with my shopping experience.....I walked myself to the checkout line (self checkout)....scanned my own cards, stuck my own money in and grabbed a bag myself.....folks, we pay the Ten Club $20 to cover their services for an entire year, what makes us think that we should be treated like royalty and have our every request granted?

If the money charged for the tickets greatly affects ones budget, then its really trivial; If an additional $148 puts someone in a position of struggle, then $100 would do the same. Some fans are being creative by selling collectibles in order to see more shows. Personally, I'm working longer hours to generate business for my company as I've spent quite a bit on Blackhawks playoff tickets, other sporting events, and now a couple of PJ shows. There's ways to make it work
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    i understand "wants" but "needs to be said"..................?

i may be wrong, but i hope you do not need pearl jam.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • The P.T.The P.T. Posts: 141
    A couple quotes that I remember from Ed while watching him in his first Chicago solo show:

both are not exact, but close enough

He was talking about parents not letting kids grow up or something and said "... mom I'm not a little boy anymore, have you seen the size of my bank account" Then he proceeded to make some funnies about how he was talking about something else...

I don't remember why he was talking about this but he was talking to some fans who were yelling and he said "...spending too much time in the far away uncomfortable seats and not enough time in the velvet seats up front". He then proceeded to backtrack and say that's not possible or something but he still said it.

I never really made much of a deal about it but these are quotes that definitely stuck out in my head that made me realize that these guys (at least this guy) certainly isn't the same guy I fell in love with back then. However, to me, that's ok. I'm in it for the music and nothing more at this point. I find that I don't fall in line with a lot of what they do anymore like I did years ago and I just have to remember it's all about the music.
  • CobCob Posts: 857
    edited May 2009
    Man this site amazes me, the original poster is just stating how he feels and that's ALL it is how HE FEELS but god forbid that someone not drink and enjoy the PJ kool aid, guess what some people have opinions of their own, and some people like to jump down anyone's throat on this board that say ANYTHING negative about PJ.

I have read peoples points about bands charging what they charge, so since everyone is chiming in, here's my 2 cents on a few of these posts I have read.

$74.00 a ticket seems pretty average for a band of PJ caliber to me, what I don't like is you HAVE to buy 2 of them, there should at least be a limited amount of single seats made available.

To the people who are comparing what, The Dead, Van Morrison, Bruce Springsteen and The Allman Brothers are charging, I love Pearl Jam, but these bands have been around since most of the guys in Pearl Jam were in diapers, these acts have EARNED the right to charge what they charge. And to say that KOL and MMJ charge the same as PJ, that is just inaccurate information, when KOL played in Austin in 2008, tickets were $40.00, MMJ played at Stubbs, the tickets were $35.00 and to say that MMJ is not even on the same level as PJ, go see MMJ play as a headliner a couple of times, not at a festival or as an opening act and then see what you think.

Someone said that going to concerts now is getting to be an exclusive thing??? It may seem like that to most, but I have a recent example to share with you as I was starting to think the same thing. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band play here in Austin in April, when tickets went on sale it sold out VERY fast, well guess what is starting to happen more and more these days, especially at shows like Springsteen with a typically older crowd, the older crowd hears the show is "sold out" so they stay home. There were people selling $100 floor G/A seats for $10 out in front of the show, that's right $10, I told my friend that they could have gotten in for that if they would have just went to the venue that night, they were in shock.

I was standing out in front of the venue trying to sell my one extra ticket that I ended up eating, when a scalper looks over at me because he can't sell his tickets and he says, "this is bullshit!" and I said not what's bullshit is everyone buying up all the tickets when they go on sale and then trying to sell them and make a 200% to 300% profit. You see back in the 80's and 90's scalpers were happy making 25% to 50% off of a ticket, but those days are long gone. The economy is in the tank and people have to pick and choose how they spend their entertainment dollars, so I don't think concerts are getting more exclusive, you can still get in for face value or less, it's just a big pain in the ass, but there are ways to do it.

I'm going to be 40 in June and I've been going to concerts since 1981, so I have seen a lot of changes over the years of how tickets are handled and it has ONLY gotten worse over the years. The difference is I know all the tricks, I know that they always release more tickets, I know to check Craigslist, I know to ask around to my friends and other people about extra tickets, and most importantly just show up at the venue and see what the secondary market tickets are selling for. The other thing is I do not think that the prices for PJ tickets are that out of line, that being said, when I saw them last summer there were really only scalpers selling tickets at MSG, but at Hartford and Mansfield there seemed to be people selling tickets for right around face value, same as when I went to the Gorge in 2005 and SF in 2006, so for the most part with the exception of some places on the east coast the supply and demand argument doesn't seem to have much merit to it, I mean the 10C tickets for Chicago didn't sell out the first day.

The last thing I would like to say is some people just like to complain about the 10 Club WAY to much, there seem to be 2 camps on this website, the ones that ALWAYS complain about how the 10 Club does things and the people that ALWAYS defend them no matter what happens, there's just to much of an extreme on both ends. I'm a HUGE music fan, not just Pearl Jam, don't let a band or a bands fan club have such an affect on your life, I made that mistake already once in my life, that's what seeing the Grateful Dead 170 times will do to you, just enjoy music and Pearl Jam while it's here, don't take it for granted, god forbid something should ever happen and PJ has to stop for whatever reason, you'll be kicking yourself in the ass for spending a measly $74.00 to see them.

Because it can all end in fell swoop, just like it did with Grateful Dead when Jerry died, you see I was at the Grateful Dead shows in Nobleslville, Ind. at Deer Creek in 1995 when a bunch of idiots jumped the fence to get into the show, they canceled the show the next night, as I left the campgrounds the next day after the police came around and told everyone the show that night was canceled, I said, I'm not going to a Grateful Dead show for a while, little did I know at the time, that I would NEVER see them again. So remember, enjoy every sandwich, because there are bigger travestys in life than $74.00 tickets and the way the 10 Club runs thing.
    Post edited by Cob on
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• alphawolfalphawolf DelMarVa/Big Sky Posts: 646

$148 for 2 tickets to see the best live band on the planet?????

its a fucking bargain........

+1
    1996 - Columbia Maryland, Hartford

1998 - DC RFK Stadium, Virginia Beach, Columbia Maryland, DC Constitution Hall
    2000 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, Columbia Maryland

2002 - Seattle Key Arena I+II

2003 - Raleigh, Charlotte, State College, Bristow, Camden II

2004 - Asheville

2006 - Boston II, Camden I+II, DC

2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, DC

2009 - Philadelphia I, II, III, IV

2010 - Bristow

2013 - Philadelphia II, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte

2022 - Camden

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    How much do you think a decent ticket from the 10club should cost you?????

$148 for 2 thanks. its a fine price. its not the early 90s anymore people.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Get_Right wrote:
    And just because PJ challenged TM policies, that does not change the economic reality.
    Plus I would guess that PJ probably buys carbon credits when they tour-making the tour more expensive than other bands that dont

Greenday charging $50 at small clubs? I think "small venues" is a reason alot of people here pointed at when people griped about the cost of tix. Demand for those tix is probably 10x the demand for Ed tix.

MMJ don't really headline arenas, they played an arena, though

Were there people saying that since the band has kids now, they can charge more? I just skimmed over some stuff a few pages back and that seemed to be the case, but thats about the most ridiculous justification I've heard. Does anybody else get a raise at work when they have a child? Are Ed's wife and children gonna offer some kinda service or goods?
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    OK, so the original post began as a tired rant about the cost of tickets, which have been steadily rising with each tour. I rolled my eyes.

But then the original post went into some rant about why they are even touring, when they have no record to promote?

What. The. Fuck.

I've seen some crazy complaints on this board before. But this one wins. Congratulations!
    You guys need to get over this Ticketmaster shit. That was 15 years ago. They haven't been before Congress recently bitching about ticket prices, have they? Are they bound to sell $20 tickets for the rest of their lives, because of some youthful crusade they took up in their 20s?

Pearl Jam just isn't THAT band anymore. Get over it. Deal with it. The mid-90s aren't coming back.

what he said
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    It's funny to see how defensive people get.

The price of 2009 vs. 2006 is up 25%...at that rate, your looking at 100% in 12 years.

Your salary going to double during that time? ;) That's way more than cost of living.

Yep, it's expensive and and yes it's worth it (to me). But I do feel for those that aren't as fortunate as me and can't afford Pearl Jam anymore.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • The P.T.The P.T. Posts: 141
    It's funny to see how defensive people get.

The price of 2009 vs. 2006 is up 25%...at that rate, your looking at 100% in 12 years.

Your salary going to double during that time? ;) That's way more than cost of living.

Yep, it's expensive and and yes it's worth it (to me). But I do feel for those that aren't as fortunate as me and can't afford Pearl Jam anymore.

I seem to remember tickets to the 2000 tour being $75 bucks or so. Not even 12 years :)

Edit : I just checked order history and they aren't listed anymore, but 2003 was listed and the price was in the $90 range.
    Tix for the 2000 tour were $25-$35, $35-45 in 2003, $50 for VFC, $62 in 2008. Those are the pric3s on my tix
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,741
    I'm surprised no one has brought up what seems like the most obvious point.....

NO ONE BUYS MUSIC ANYMORE!!!

whats an easy way to recoupe a lost album purchase? raise the price of your live show.

And as for comparing Green Day's pricing to Pearl Jam's, Green Day's demographic is 16-25 year olds. Pearl Jam's demographic is 18-55. Who do you think has the higher paying jobs? (not to mention that Green Day's current album sales are way higher than Pearl Jam's)

Compare Pearl Jam to a simular demographic and their shows are averagely priced.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929

whats an easy way to recoupe a lost album purchase? raise the price of your live show.

And as for comparing Green Day's pricing to Pearl Jam's, Green Day's demographic is 16-25 year olds. Pearl Jam's demographic is 18-55. Who do you think has the higher paying jobs? (not to mention that Green Day's current album sales are way higher than Pearl Jam's)

Compare Pearl Jam to a simular demographic and their shows are averagely priced.
    I'd say that's a pretty weak argument - it's been known for years that bands make most of their money from live shows.. albums really are just incentive for people to see a band in concert, and it could be argued that, from all the money saved by downloading albums, they could theoretically afford to see a band in concert that they otherwise couldn't.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Cob wrote:

Because it can all end in fell swoop, just like it did with Grateful Dead when Jerry died, you see I was at the Grateful Dead shows in Nobleslville, Ind. at Deer Creek in 1995 when a bunch of idiots jumped the fence to get into the show, they canceled the show the next night, as I left the campgrounds the next day after the police came around and told everyone the show that night was canceled, I said, I'm not going to a Grateful Dead show for a while, little did I know at the time, that I would NEVER see them again. So remember, enjoy every sandwich, because there are bigger travestys in life than $74.00 tickets and the way the 10 Club runs thing.

enjoy every sandwich. yes, thanks for the reminder. (for a great song about the deer creek mess, check out the Keller Williams tune called Gate Crashers Suck.)
    The world is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. The ride goes up and down, around and around, it has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly colored, and it's very loud, and it's fun for a while. Many people have been on the ride a long time, and they begin to wonder, "Hey, is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and say, "Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever. Because this is just a ride." And we...kill those people. "Shut him up! I've got a lot invested in this ride, shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry, look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill the good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok? But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.
    --Bill Hicks
    benjs wrote:

I'd say that's a pretty weak argument - it's been known for years that bands make most of their money from live shows.. albums really are just incentive for people to see a band in concert, and it could be argued that, from all the money saved by downloading albums, they could theoretically afford to see a band in concert that they otherwise couldn't.

PJ still sells a x00,000 copies of their albums. They still make plenty of jack off that.

Since the days of Led Zeppelin bands have counted on touring for the bulk of their income.

There seems to be a common misconception that bands don't make any money from album sales. PJ still makes plenty of cash off of new album sales and back catalog sales that they never have to tour again.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,741
    yeah what do i know, i only have first hand music industry experience.. :roll:
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    This is from a 2005 interview with Jeff...

"They also bucked a trend in 1994 when they famously took on Ticketmaster, accusing the company of using unfair business practices to set concert admission prices. Ament gave three hours of testimony before a U.S. justice committee in that fight.

There was a highly publicized boycott on both sides which made it difficult for Pearl Jam to tour. Eventually the group went crawling back to the ticketing powerhouse.

Given prices have continued to rise to an average price of $70 per ticket, Ament doesn't regret the action.

"Our role was just to educate people about where their money is going," he said.

Trying to avoid the corporate world, Pearl Jam is using Vancouver concert promoter Paul Mercs to organize the tour instead of powerhouses House of Blues or ClearChannel.

And tickets are being kept at a reasonable $59.50, plus service charges.

Ament thinks that's still too high for young fans.

"Typically we try to be at the lower end of what our peers are charging . . . It seems, like anything, it gets harder and harder to do," he said."
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    JD Sal wrote:
    This is from a 2005 interview with Jeff...

"They also bucked a trend in 1994 when they famously took on Ticketmaster, accusing the company of using unfair business practices to set concert admission prices. Ament gave three hours of testimony before a U.S. justice committee in that fight.

There was a highly publicized boycott on both sides which made it difficult for Pearl Jam to tour. Eventually the group went crawling back to the ticketing powerhouse.

Given prices have continued to rise to an average price of $70 per ticket, Ament doesn't regret the action.

"Our role was just to educate people about where their money is going," he said.

Trying to avoid the corporate world, Pearl Jam is using Vancouver concert promoter Paul Mercs to organize the tour instead of powerhouses House of Blues or ClearChannel.

And tickets are being kept at a reasonable $59.50, plus service charges.

Ament thinks that's still too high for young fans.

"Typically we try to be at the lower end of what our peers are charging . . . It seems, like anything, it gets harder and harder to do," he said."

Awesome post. Really shows the hearts and minds of the band are still in the mode of trying to do the right thing.

So here we are 5 years later and tickets are now a bit higher. Sadly that is a reality that is out of the bands control as they do their best to keep the prices reasonable.

I think they do a great job.
  • shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,170
    Dude, you need a nice hot cup of shut the F up. These 10 tickets and the seats u get would be gone and cost a lot more if they did it the traditional way. God, bitch, bitch, bitch.
  • i am a targeti am a target Posts: 799
    isn't the point of running a business (which pearl jam is) ...to make money?
  • chnactchnact Posts: 21
    isn't the point of running a business (which pearl jam is) ...to make money?

yes sir it is!
  • SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    ticket prices fluctuate just like everything else...
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .